Gears of War 3 Hits the Torrent Tubes

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gears of War 3 Hits the Torrent Tubes

More than two months before its scheduled release, Gears of War 3 has leaked to the internet.

It's becoming kind of a videogaming tradition, isn't it? A few days, weeks or even months before a major release hits store shelves, some dick lets it slip to torrent sites. The latest big name to end up floating around prematurely is Gears of Wars 3, which turned up in all the wrong places earlier today. It's apparently an early build of the game that only runs on JTAG-modded Xbox 360 consoles, but it does run and that's what makes the leak kind of a kick in the junk: as the conclusion of the Gears trilogy, GoW3 is anticipated almost as much for its story as for its gun-heavy gameplay.

Microsoft told IGN that it is working with various law enforcement agencies to track down the source of the leak as well as everyone who downloads it, and of course issued the standard warning that the leaked game isn't the real deal. "We have seen the reports of Gears of War 3 content being propped on the Web and working closely with our security teams and law enforcement to address the situation," the company said in a statement. "This content is not from a final build and is not representative of what fans will enjoy when the game launches."

Gears 3 isn't the only big-time 360 game to end up floating around on torrent sites in recent months, of course; the same thing happened to Halo: Reach back in August 2010. I will now do my best to resist tossing out a cheap zinger about how rampant piracy is destroying the PC videogame industry.

For the record, Gears of War 3 is scheduled to come out all nice and legal-like on September 20.

Source: Softpedia

Hey, umm... haven't Epic Games frequently said that they stopped releasing PC versions of their games because they were sick of seeing them get pirated?

Huh.

And that's all I'm going to say.

Oh dear how embarrassing heres hoping they can tank this opportunity to learn of player complaints and fix them for day one.

So were they hacked like Valve back int the day, or do they have a leak at there office?

Nothing new with console games. I said it many times i'll say it again. They pretty much always are torrented weeks before retail release.
And yet it's PC gamers being blamed for being pirates. Go figure.

Well that's a shame, I'd be beating my head against the wall if something I spent years working on got leaked so early before release.

It does go to show though, PC isn't the only platform being hit with piracy.

Seems like there is a SPAH in epics department.

Looks like another wild goose chase to find all those evil-doers downloading things off the big bad interweb.

Wow. Two months. Very impressive. We should give those guys a medal. There'll be a ceremony where we can trap them and arrest them.

Zhukov:
Hey, umm... haven't Epic Games frequently said that they stopped releasing PC versions of their games because they were sick of seeing them get pirated?

Huh.

Keava:
Nothing new with console games. I said it many times i'll say it again. They pretty much always are torrented weeks before retail release.

I seriously wish someone would confront Cliffy B with this, seriously he has been one of the biggest out criers against the evil PC gamers calling every PC gamer a pirate and deeming them not worthy of his games. Money says he would still find a way to blame this leak on an angry pc gamer who was just jealous the game wasn't on the pc so the angry pc gamer decided to leak it on the net.

dogstile:
Seems like theirs a SPAH in epics department.

I could see Cliffy B running down hallways with a flamethrower trying to fix that problem.

Keava:

True, but the seperation between console and PC is made on scale. Only a small quantity of console gamers own a hacked console. So publishers lose way less money on hacked console games when compared to a hacked PC game that everyone can run.

wait, there are people buying gears for the story? i always thought the only reason to buy gears was to beat your friends to death with their own arm

Piracy is killing PC gaming! Bad pirates! Bad PC gamers!

Oh, wait.

But...But console games are IMMUNE to piracy! That's why we all switched away!

I guess if I didn't feel like paying for 360 games, hacking my console would be a pretty big hassle to go through though.

the story? yes, im sure everyone is just lineing up for gears of war's fantastic story, what is is, four big guys with big armor that looks like they have breast amps on it, go to fight the shadowing bad guy monsters?

Im sure cliffy B screamed like a little girl when he found this out, and tried to get ahold of the army/navy/airforce to find who did it.

Prince Regent:
True, but the seperation between console and PC is made on scale. Only a small quantity of console gamers own a hacked console. So publishers lose way less money on hacked console games when compared to a hacked PC game that everyone can run.

Nah. Lots of people can't even open a zip file with the crack. Others just download lots of shit and never actually play it. It's blown wait out of proportion.

Just sayin'.

Prince Regent:

Pardon moi, but source? You assume it basing on what statistic exactly ? How do you even know how many hacked consoles there are around? And how do you even weight it against number of people who pirate on PC? There is no real data how many copies are pirated, how many of those copies are then, at later date bought legally and how many are deleted 15 minutes into the game because they don't like how it plays.

Katana314:
But...But console games are IMMUNE to piracy! That's why we all switched away!

I guess if I didn't feel like paying for 360 games, hacking my console would be a pretty big hassle to go through though.

Actually, if you know where to look you can get already hacked and banned xbox360 for 30-50$ tops if you just want it for pirated/single player gaming. Simple as that.

And again I will add, it is a good thing PC gamers take all the flak for pirating...

Zhukov:

Huh.

well at least you need a modded console to run this, you wouldn't need a specifically-modded PC to run a pirated PC version.

I assume pirated consoles that can run this software are harder to come by, as i've only known one person who ever had one, and he hated it because microsoft was able to lock him out of it almost instantly.

vxicepickxv:

dogstile:
Seems like theirs a SPAH in epics department.

I could see Cliffy B running down hallways with a flamethrower trying to fix that problem.

Don't you mean a lancer? Cause he would be a Cog not a Pyro

Andy Chalk:
I will now do my best to resist tossing out a cheap zinger about how rampant piracy is destroying the PC videogame industry.

It's funny because Gears 3 is a console exclusive!

Well, not that funny to the developers, but still funny in the grand scheme of things. At least to me.

Keava:

Prince Regent:

Pardon moi, but source? You assume it basing on what statistic exactly ? How do you even know how many hacked consoles there are around? And how do you even weight it against number of people who pirate on PC? There is no real data how many copies are pirated, how many of those copies are then, at later date bought legally and how many are deleted 15 minutes into the game because they don't like how it plays.

So, does that mean that all million+ hacked 360 systems are going to play Gears 3?

So did anybody get it? Is it any good?

Azaraxzealot:

Zhukov:

Huh.

well at least you need a modded console to run this, you wouldn't need a specifically-modded PC to run a pirated PC version.

I assume pirated consoles that can run this software are harder to come by, as i've only known one person who ever had one, and he hated it because microsoft was able to lock him out of it almost instantly.

Numbers show the amount of people pirating for console, is but a little fraction, compared to that of the PC.

Keava:

Prince Regent:

Pardon moi, but source?

The amount of pirated copies of Starcraft 2 and Cash-In of Duty: Crap Ops speak for themselves.

oh. here's some links:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106492-And-the-Most-Pirated-Game-of-2010-Is

there's almost 4x as much piracy on the PC than on the 360.

oh, and Starcraft 2 is on there as well

Damn pirates are ruining PC gaming. Oh wait...

FogHornG36:
the story? yes, im sure everyone is just lineing up for gears of war's fantastic story, what is is, four big guys with big armor that looks like they have breast amps on it, go to fight the shadowing bad guy monsters?

Im sure cliffy B screamed like a little girl when he found this out, and tried to get ahold of the army/navy/airforce to find who did it.

You do know a chick joins the four dudes in Gears 3, right?... No, I haven't played the pirated games, just read the previews in magazines.

Azaraxzealot:

Keava:

Prince Regent:

Pardon moi, but source?

The amount of pirated copies of Starcraft 2 and Cash-In of Duty: Crap Ops speak for themselves.

oh. here's some links:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106492-And-the-Most-Pirated-Game-of-2010-Is

Two of the most pirated console games were Dante's Inferno and Wii Party? Really?

Anyway, console piracy is still in the millions(though just barely on the 360, but still). To just dismiss it since it's not as high as PC numbers is foolhardy.

Irridium:

Azaraxzealot:

Keava:

Pardon moi, but source?

oh. here's some links:

Two of the most pirated console games were Dante's Inferno and Wii Party? Really?

Anyway, console piracy is still in the millions(though just barely on the 360, but still). To just dismiss it since it's not as high as PC numbers is foolhardy.

Who said i was dismissing it? I was just proving there is a severe disparity.

FogHornG36:

I am o.O I think the Gears of War story is great and what you just described really isn't what it's about at all. Personally I know loads of people who are just as anxious to play it to see who lives and who dies just as much as the gameplay.

Alright it might not be Oscar-worthy material but the story in GoW is a hell of a lot better than that of its two mainstream competetors (Halo and Call of Duty)

Rednog:

I seriously wish someone would confront Cliffy B with this, seriously he has been one of the biggest out criers against the evil PC gamers calling every PC gamer a pirate and deeming them not worthy of his games. Money says he would still find a way to blame this leak on an angry pc gamer who was just jealous the game wasn't on the pc so the angry pc gamer decided to leak it on the net.

I hate Cliffy not because of his rants against PC gamers, but because he's such a phony. He wails and moans about pirates on the PC but still releases games on the PC. He threw up a hissy fit about GoW1 not selling well on the PC, ignoring the fact that they released it nearly a year after the XBox release and never provided any support for that buggy PoS port. Epic doesn't sell GoW on the PC not because of piracy, but because of their deal with MS.

This all sucks considering how Epic actually did more for the PC than any consoles with the UDK licensing terms.

Azaraxzealot:

Irridium:

Azaraxzealot:

oh. here's some links:

Who said i was dismissing it? I was just proving there is a severe disparity.

Yeah I know. Was mainly just speaking to everyone when I said that. Just didn't make it too clear...

Rednog:

No, I think he just likes the taste of his own foot.

The best thing to do is to blame an entire group of people for the wrongdoings of a smaller, more specific section of that group of people. I mean, that's the Fox News approach right?

Everyone needs to stop this Console vs PC argument crap, and start a "Gamer" vs "Pirate" argument. I mean seriously, Gamers are being treated as criminals, and we're sitting here trying to best pin the blame of which group of us are the bigger criminals. It seems like it would be a much better use of our time as a community to discuss that not all of us think we're entitled to free games.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here