ESRB Rates Crysis for 360, PS3

ESRB Rates Crysis for 360, PS3

An unheralded ESRB rating has given credence to rumors that the original Crysis is coming to the Xbox 360, and maybe the PlayStation 3 too.

The rumor mill started turning last week, when the South Korean Game Rating Board posted a rating for what appeared to be an Xbox 360 version of the original Crysis, which came out for the PC back in 2007. I say "appeared to" because the Google translation was pretty awful, but while it's possible that a mangled translation of a Korean game rating could lead to confusion, it's hard to say the same about the ESRB, which has just put out a similar rating of its own.

The ESRB now lists Crysis for the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 as well, although there's nothing else said about the game that we didn't already know: it's published by Electronic Arts and rated M for violence and naughty language. Crytek has remained steadfastly silent on the matter while EA hit VG247 with a standard "no comment" comment.

It's not professional to be presumptuous, so let's get to it. If the wall of stony silence is an effective admission that Crysis is on the way to consoles, the obvious question, as noted in the original rumor report, is how? Back in 2007, Crytek said that current-gen consoles didn't have the sand to run the game at the level of quality the studio wanted; the safe bet at this point that the game will be powered by the CryEngine 3, which drove the recent Crysis 2 that did make it to consoles. But whether it will offer the visual splendor of the original PC release is a different question altogether and, I would think, somewhat less likely.

Now I can play it!
Can not wait to see PC elitist reactions XD

If this is true then I have one thing to say: "HELL YES!" I played the demo on my friends gaming rig and found it awesome. I also really liked Crysis 2, so I hope this is true, because I want that game.

It could be significantly reworked. Far Cry came out for the PC and later reworked for Xbox and Wii, so there's a precedence. Or maybe the technology is now good enough to squeze more from the consoles to make the game look good (Crysis doesn't need to run at Ultra High to look good). Even Warhead wasn't such a hardware hog than the first game because the tech has matured in the meantime.

Anyways, I don't get it why the companies do the 'no comment' thing. If I were at marketing, I'd say - well guys, you've got us. Obviously you're a smart gaming site. Yeah, the game is coming out, yay!

imnotparanoid:

I'm fine with it as far as it gets Crytek the money from you console people (heh) to they can make something better then Crysis 2 next time. And maybe it gets more appreciation for Crysis, which kinda passed under the radar undeservingly. Also, you can play a good game from time to time too. j/k

As I said before, this is a good thing. More people playing the original Crysis is good. It's a damn good game. If you thought Crysis 2 was open, your in for a treat. Crysis 2 is linear as hell compared to Crysis 1. Both in terms of gameplay and level design.

Just... stay away from the multiplayer. It really sucks.

imnotparanoid:

I'm excited that more people get to play the game.

Now more people get to experience a good thing. Thumbs up!

They may port it to the 'new' consoles that Xbox and Playstation will offer. Make it a day one release thing.

imnotparanoid:

Who really cares? Consoles are getting a port from 4 years ago, or more depending on how long it takes for them to develop it.

Well, if its anything like Crysis on the PC, than awesome. But I have the feeling that there is going to be some downgrading. Hope im wrong, though!

Irridium:
As I said before, this is a good thing. More people playing the original Crysis is good. It's a damn good game. If you thought Crysis 2 was open, your in for a treat. Crysis 2 is linear as hell compared to Crysis 1. Both in terms of gameplay and level design.

imnotparanoid:

Sgt. Sykes:
It could be significantly reworked. Far Cry came out for the PC and later reworked for Xbox and Wii, so there's a precedence. Or maybe the technology is now good enough to squeze more from the consoles to make the game look good (Crysis doesn't need to run at Ultra High to look good). Even Warhead wasn't such a hardware hog than the first game because the tech has matured in the meantime.

Anyways, I don't get it why the companies do the 'no comment' thing. If I were at marketing, I'd say - well guys, you've got us. Obviously you're a smart gaming site. Yeah, the game is coming out, yay!

imnotparanoid:

I'm fine with it as far as it gets Crytek the money from you console people (heh) to they can make something better then Crysis 2 next time. And maybe it gets more appreciation for Crysis, which kinda passed under the radar undeservingly. Also, you can play a good game from time to time too. j/k

WaaghPowa:

imnotparanoid:

Who really cares? Consoles are getting a port from 4 years ago, or more depending on how long it takes for them to develop it.

Stop being the wrong way round dammit!!!!!
You just ruined my day, I hope your happy!

The question is does anybody actually care because I sure as hell dont.

This is actually a good thing for Crysis fans if you think about it.

Part of the problem with Crysis 2's plot was that it needed to connect to a console audience who have never gotten the chance to play the first Crysis. I never really cared for the first game's plot, but it was bothersome playing through it and having EVERYTHING that was set up be changed.

With Crysis coming to consoles, this will allow Crytek to connect to the first Crysis a lot more in Crysis 3.

That said, not to say that the first Crysis was "bad", but it wasn't great. Crysis 2 was a lot better.

Will it have the HD direct X 11 update implemented?

imnotparanoid:

WaaghPowa:

imnotparanoid:

You're welcome. I have no problem with consoles being able to play the game, but I resent the idea that I'm supposed to be upset. People like me have been playing it regularly since it's release, loved it, modded the crap out of it, and love it some more. Being upset that you can play it now is silly, since you're 4 years late to the party and wont get the same experiences we have had.

Less graphical power to have the same physics? I don't know how it'll work : S

TitanAtlas:
Will it have the HD direct X 11 update implemented?

No, this generation of consoles only uses DX9 for the Xbox and OpenGL for the PS3, they would need to save it for next generation if they wanted DX11.

Mediocre game that looked beautiful 4 years ago but will not impress anyone anymore, when stuff like BF3 are just around the corner. Kinda pointless if you ask me.

If it keeps the same open-ended style of gameplay, then sure I don't mind buying it again for the PS3. It's pretty obvious they'll be using Cryengine 3 for this one. If Crytek is able to squeeze in the original in a console then color me effin surprised but that's highly unlikely.

I played it on PC, it sure as hell looked pretty, but as a game it was 'meh' for me. I guess it's a good thing that crysis 2 console players will get to experience the first part of the story, but for me that game was just a benchmark tool.

WaaghPowa:

imnotparanoid:

WaaghPowa:

You're welcome. I have no problem with consoles being able to play the game, but I resent the idea that I'm supposed to be upset. People like me have been playing it regularly since it's release, loved it, modded the crap out of it, and love it some more. Being upset that you can play it now is silly, since you're 4 years late to the party and wont get the same experiences we have had.

yeah, its just than a few months ago we had a thread about 'should Crysis come to consoles'
The reaqctions where hilarious XD

Seems we've all grown up since then.

imnotparanoid:
yeah, its just than a few months ago we had a thread about 'should Crysis come to consoles'

Or just the doofus's were the ones posting. You know, that small minority who makes the whole look bad but are more vocal?

I predict loading times, lots and lots of loading times.

WaaghPowa:

imnotparanoid:

Or just the doofus's were the ones posting. You know, that small minority who makes the whole look bad but are more vocal?

Yeah those guys!
Gotta love those guys!

Day has been made.

Consoles could always run crysis, just not 'crysis'.

Expect medium settings - high shaders and very low textures at 30fps 720p, which is still ok. High or Very high is still completely impossible on console, consoles don't evolve over time, they're just as 'powerful' now as they were in 2007.

Important thing though: You guys better buy the game more than you did for crysis 2 (assuming it's a direct PC port) otherwise we'll just end up mediocre turd like crysis 2 instead of awesome sauce that is crysis 1.

P.S. It'll still be a lot easier to just buy a PC to enjoy crysis properly :p Hell, the new A8 fusion chips will run it on high at 1680x1050 in a $500 notebook that'll be sold in places like tesco and walmart. But regardless, it is an old game now, so hardly anything to be excited about. The game wasn't graphically ground breaking on medium in 2007, and it's the medium settings console will get.

So consoles are finally going to get a watered-downed version of Crysis after 4 almost 5 years of it's official release.

Not to be mean, but anyone who thinks the console version is going to have the Ultra-High quality as a high-end PC is fooling themselves.

AND

TheComfyChair:
Consoles could always run crysis, just not 'crysis'.

Expect medium settings - high shaders and very low textures at 30fps 720p, which is still ok. High or Very high is still completely impossible on console, consoles don't evolve over time, they're just as 'powerful' now as they were in 2007.

Important thing though: You guys better buy the game more than you did for crysis 2 (assuming it's a direct PC port) otherwise we'll just end up mediocre turd like crysis 2 instead of awesome sauce that is crysis 1.

P.S. It'll still be a lot easier to just buy a PC to enjoy crysis properly :p Hell, the new A8 fusion chips will run it on high at 1680x1050 in a $500 notebook that'll be sold in places like tesco and walmart. But regardless, it is an old game now, so hardly anything to be excited about. The game wasn't graphically ground breaking on medium in 2007, and it's the medium settings console will get.

That.

I'm glad console users get to play it now. Although I'm afraid the experience won't be the same graphically. I'm also wondering if they are adding additional features to the game in order to make it more palatable - additional content and the like.

Locko96:
Now more people get to experience a good thing. Thumbs up!

Your avatar fits perfectly for this.

OT: I plan on getting a new computer in the near future, so I'll probably just it for cheap for that.

I may try it out on the PS3 if I don't get a PC powerful enough to play it before it is released. Do we really want to spend the full RRP on this game though?

imnotparanoid:

Now I can play it!

The problem is, game itself wasn't very good. Later sections where you fight aliens are simply shit. Thing is they looked gorgeous.
Also think about price you're willing to pay. It's a game released in 2007. It's worth $10. If you're generous and go crazy over any shooter that has open world maps.

I honestly hope Crytek butchers the hell out of it to get it running on consoles. That way we won't be as angry at Cevat douchebag for turning the sequel into console trash.

If not, and it is faithful to the original, then the console fanbase will get to see just how nerfed Crysis 2 was, and how lame Crytek is.

I think prophet may up the games rating a bit. "I'm going to ****ing kill that mother-******" Can't wait to have a go at the original Crysis anyway.

imnotparanoid:

I'm just glad that more people get to play it!

I think it needs to surpass the reputation it has as an outdated benchmarking tool. That said, the graphics will be worse on the consoles so the experience will be utterly ruined :P

YES! I could never play it on my PC, so I look forward to this!

imnotparanoid:

Irridium:

imnotparanoid:

Sgt. Sykes:

imnotparanoid:

WaaghPowa:

imnotparanoid:

Cannot decide whether to snip or not. Anyway, it is only if you believe the PC elitist stereo-type that a lot of commentators (like bob and yatzee) are trying to push, that you would be surprised by the posts above.

Completely agree with the above comments, the more the merrier. Now if you want an elitist response, you would need to talk about Crysis 2 as now with the DX 11 patch and things like tessellation, you are quite likely to have PC people pleased to tell you how much better looking it is than the DX 9 console version.

PC owners have never been up in arms about titles that first appeared on the PC going to other platforms. It usually happens that a title can only be able to be played on a PC of the time, but than can be played on consoles when the next generation comes out. No-one bats an eyelid. The only response you may get is a bit of pride that the game is only available on the PC due to the console hardware of the time not being capable. It is a completely different setup to the exclusive system with the console market, which is an artificial restriction.

'PC only' for a is always only a temporary state as sooner or later (depending on new hardware etc) it will be available on consoles, that is unless the game is pants and no-one wants to release it on consoles.

What is so interesting about this is that it is rare for a game judged to need more than the consoles of the time can give to sit have the game released for them rather than for the next gen. But then it has been a much longer than normal generation, so the engine technology may have been able to deliver rather than needing new hardware.

Anyway it will be fascinating to see what materialises. And please stop buying into stereo-types.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here