The Escapist Is News

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Escapist Is News

If you read last week's Editors Note, you know that The Escapist is restructuring its issue format. Rather than packaging a few specific features together each week, we'll be considering all of our content offerings as part of each week's issue. That means news, reviews, videos, regular columns and webcomics will all join the feature articles as important parts of each weekly issue. To help kick off this transition, we're offering a quick look at the types of content we produce each week.

Since it was first introduced over five years ago, our news has become one of the site's most popular offerings. From timely analysis of the constant evolution of the videogame industry to an enthusiastic exploration of numerous other topics relevant to the gamer lifestyle, our team of talented news writers not only provides you with the who, what, why, where and when of each story, but also gives you important context to help you better understand the significance of each individual news item.

Here's a sampling of some of our hottest news stories from 2011.

Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Videogames

The ECA and the EMA were instrumental in arguing in favor of the videogame industry, and they are predictably extremely happy with the decision. "We are thrilled by today's news," said Jennifer Mercurio, who was present at the oral arguments in November. "We had hoped that we would see this decision, and it's been a long time coming. That being said, there will probably be one or two legislators who attempt to test these new parameters, and the ECA will continue to fight for the rights of entertainment consumers."

The announcement is a major victory for the videogame industry. For years, games have been treated like scapegoats for the ills of our nation's youth, and blamed for everything from school shootings to child obesity. The law proposed by California representative Leland Yee was part of that blame because it claimed that games were more harmful than books or movies and did not deserve the protection of the First Amendment.

PAX East 2011 Cosplay Gallery

Ah, the time-honored tradition of every convention where there is a critical mass of geeks and nerds - the fantastic cosplay. I'm not positive what the motivation is for these folks who dedicate such time and ingenuity to crafting a likeness of their favorite character in videogames, movies, TV shows or comics. Is it the necessary attention to detail? Is it the attention that wearing these costumes gets them on the convention floor? Perhaps these uber-fans just want to feel like it's Halloween all year long.

Whatever the reason, PAX East 2011 might not have had huge numbers of cosplayers like SD Comic Con or even Gen Con did this past year, but it more than made for it in quality. Some of what I saw must have taken weeks if not months of planning and execution.

Games Now Legally Considered an Art Form

For those not familiar with the NEA, it is a US government organization-slash-program which funds artistic projects around the country which will "enhance the public good." If you're an artist who wants to make a beautiful sculpture for a public place, for instance, and you don't want to sell it commercially - but you would like to continue eating - you can apply for a grant of up to $200,000 to make your work of art. There are all sorts of regulations and scrutiny in the application process, but that's the basic idea, anyway.

The NEA opened its application doors this week for 2012, and announced that it would be changing its criteria for what counted as art. Most significantly for our chosen pastime is that the category formerly known as The Arts on Radio and Television will now be known as The Arts in Media. It will include film, television and radio artistic projects, but will also add satellite-based and internet-based media (as opposed to just landline-based broadcasts) and, you guessed it, interactive media

Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

imageI don't need to tell you that the entire concept of School Shooter: North American Tour 2012 is horrible. While many of us might indulge in a little murder while playing shooters - civilians in a Russian airport or townsfolk in Red Dead Redemption - a whole game based on killing children, teachers and janitors in a school crosses all kinds of lines that it's impossible to argue in its favor. School shootings like Columbine are a national tragedy because it underlines fundamental problems in our society, while mistakenly pointing to media like movies and games as the cause. Pawnstick's mod, while being disgusting in its own right, will do nothing but give ammunition to anti-game activists, joining the ranks of Postal 2 and Manhunt as examples of gaming's moral depravity. Instead of pushing the game industry forward into new and fantastic ways of telling stories, School Shooter: North American Tour 2012 is a huge step back into gaming's flawed adolescence.

Valve Discusses Charging Customers Based on Popularity

imageRather than pricing a product based purely on what that product is worth, [Gabe] Newell talks about pricing a product based on what the customer is worth as well. "Some people, when they join a server, a ton of people will run with them," Newell continued. "Other people, when they join a server, will cause others to leave."

"So, in practice, a really likable person in our community should get DotA 2 for free, because of past behavior in Team Fortress 2," Newell added. "Now, a real jerk that annoys everyone, they can still play, but a game is full price and they have to pay an extra hundred dollars if they want voice."

Newell also went over how Valve is already charging high-value customers "negative" amounts, such as those that were paid royalties for creating Team Fortress 2 items. "Their cost for Team Fortress 2 is negative $20,000 per week," he said. "You're never going to see that in a retail store ... It's people who make hats get paid. People who are really popular play for less, or free."

PS3 Hacker Raised All the Legal Funds Needed to Beat Sony in a Weekend

image"Sony doesn't care if what you did was legal, if they don't like it, they sue. Sony tried to sue a guy for getting his AIBO to do non Sony approved tricks, making it apparent that they don't really care about piracy, they care about control," wrote Geohot on his website. "I would hate to lose this case due to resource starvation, and with the support of the masses, I won't. Lets turn the bully back on itself."

For his part, Geohot reiterated that he is against piracy and distributing copyrighted work, but he believes that it is his right to hack any consumer product once it is in his legal possession. "Sony does not even try to allege piracy or copyright infringement in this case, they allege I did things like play "Super Mario World, an unauthorized game" on myPS3. And access my PS3 in an unauthorized way. Who are they to authorize what I do with my taxed and paid for property?" he asked rhetorically.

"For example, I believe Apple has every right to lock down their iPhone in the factory as much as they want, but once it's paid for and mine, I have the right to unlock it, smash it, jailbreak it, look at it, and hack on it." Geohot is, of course, referring to his previous exploits in jailbreaking the iPhone.

Diablo III Looked Heavenly in 2005

Back in 2005, Blizzard decided to go back to the drawing board on Diablo III and scrapped much of what it had under development. What you might not know is that the studio already had a capable version up and running. Newly discovered screenshots show off what it looked like, and how different it is from what we know of Diablo III today.

Kotaku writes that Blizzard had planned Diablo III as a battle through hell, as expected, but also heaven. Some of the screenshots show areas called "Heaven" and the "Angelic Lands." In these areas, the player faces snakes, snake-men, and gritty winged creatures.

PopCap Teases Plants vs. Zombies 2

The concept is one of those Stephen Hawking space-time things that's so completely stupid it loops back into itself and becomes sheer genius: Zombies - shambling, bungie-jumping, Zamboni-driving zombies - want to get into your house and eat your brains, and the only thing preventing it are the be-bopping, unusually violent plants in your garden. It transcends silly and it works beautifully, and now it looks like more is on the way.

PopCap recently sent out a message inviting journalists to an event of some sort on San Francisco on August 2. But this wasn't a typical RSVP; instead, it was an image of the PvZ zombie hand bursting out of the ground, holding a note with the date and the initials "S.F." under a scrawled drawing of a big bridge.

Beyond the obvious Plants vs. Zombies link, there is no indication of what will actually be unveiled. Speculation that it might be news about the promised Xbox 360 version of the game has been kicking around, but I think it's safe to say that most fingers are crossed in hopes of a full sequel. Stay tuned!

Sony Admits Private PSN Info Has Been Stolen -- All of It

If you're reading this, then you're almost certainly aware that over the past week, Sony's PlayStation Network has been suffering some rather severe technical difficulties. Sony is apparently still trying to figure out what's going on, or at the very least isn't yet ready to disclose all the facts, and there's still no ETA for a resumption of services. But in a new status update, Sony revealed that PlayStation Network and Qriocity user data has in fact been compromised. And not just your PSN ID.

"Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID," Sony's Patrick Seybold wrote in a message being sent to all registered PSN account holders. "It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained."

Elderly Woman Pokes Cable, Cuts Internet Access in Three Countries

imageSome citizens of the former Soviet Union make money by digging for unused copper cables and selling them as scrap. A 75-year-old woman from Georgia was doing just that when she accidentally hit and damaged a fiber-optic cable, cutting off internet access for millions of people in three different countries.

The Guardian reports that the woman did the deed with a simple spade shovel. Georgia provides 90% of neighboring Armenia's internet, so her mistake left 3.2 million citizens of the country without internet access. In addition, areas of Georgia and Azerbaijan were also taken offline.

A system monitoring damage notified authorities who arrived shortly after the woman hit the cable. They arrested her on suspicion of damaging property, but she was temporarily released for "old age." She could face up to three years in prison.

Wait. I didn't see any witty one-liners at the end of any of those articles. Are we losing the witty one-liners? Say it ain't so!

Does this mean the front page is going to become even more crammed with information than it already is?

edit: If I understand this right & you're planning on making news analysis a more central part of your programming, could you maybe improve the quality a bit? Currently, with all respect, Escapist's news articles usually consist of copying a news article from another website, & then adding a two sentence paragraph at the end of the "on the one hand, but on the other. I just don't know, what do you think?" variety. Not that I don't appreciate the service as a gaming news aggregator, of course.

Also, if news is becoming more central, please avoid letting articles like this slip through your editing process. It demeans the whole idea of games journalism as a serious pursuit when subjects are "reported" in such a vitriolic way. Save that stuff for either opinion pieces or forum responses.

Restructuring? All I want are more interviews with industry insiders...

Cousin_IT:
Does this mean the front page is going to become even more crammed with information than it already is?

I hope so. Massive intake of information = Good.

Ah, yes. Good times have been had this year. And bad times. Very bad times.
Still, I'm looking forward to changes. Nothing's wrong with how it is right now, tbh, but still. Looking forward to it.

Not sure what this means, but please don't merge the Featured Content and News Room forums. Sometimes I like to just skim through the news articles without having to sift through features and opinion pieces.

Cousin_IT:

Hopefully it'll get it's own tab or something...

In anycase cool! I already go to the Escapist to see what's up with gaming news so if they make it more streamlined I'm okay with it.

This all sounds snazzy and cool! Looking forward to it!

I'd comment on this change but that last news item and associated clipart has me picturing an old lady driving a very blocky backhoe over some redstone wires.

It's the sort of image that blocks out most other thought.

That was cruel, Escapist. That was cruel to remind us that Plants vs Zombies 2 wasn't announced last year, but the "Game of the Year" version of the game instead. This news wasn't even part of 2011 as it was released last year.

On a more POSITIVE AND CONSTRUCTIVE NOTE (please don't banhammer no banhammer)I do like this new style of news reporting, as it highlighted a few articles which I had previously missed and was interested on reading up on.

So you'll be kinda trying to go into a type of Newsweek type of format for gaming?

I guess it's worth a shot. I did like this format but perhaps this will be an improvement. I await the change.

Sparrow:
Wait. I didn't see any witty one-liners at the end of any of those articles. Are we losing the witty one-liners? Say it ain't so!

It's NEWS! There shall be no Guffawing in the presence of NEWS! or so help you.

NO idea what's actually changing, but I'm excited. I'm imagining jetpacks and Doctor Who references and maybe drink recipes. Gonna be awesome.

Cousin_IT:
Also, if news is becoming more central, please avoid letting articles like this slip through your editing process. It demeans the whole idea of games journalism as a serious pursuit when subjects are "reported" in such a vitriolic way. Save that stuff for either opinion pieces or forum responses.

And keep these kinds of demeaning articles out of the loop, for the love of God.

The transition will be interesting, but this is the primary thing I am worrying about. The Escapist has always walked the fine line between a "News site" and an "Editorial site". Too often the news reporters shove their own 2 cents into the article when it does not call for it, and on occasion disgustingly biased articles (such as the one I linked) are produced. You can analyze news stories without injecting your own unprofessional opinion, and sometimes there's no need for fluff at all, just the information is suitable.

It's not that hard, other sites like IGN present news while minimally inserting their opinions with ease. When they have an editorial, it is clearly posted as such. With The Escapist, sometimes it can be a blur, and it can be incredibly frustrating when editorials pass off as news. This kind of stuff often pops up whenever studies on games are reported on, and most of those have an obvious pro-games bias stench to it.

Please, when this change goes by, and if this is a more news-central change, clean up your actual news. I say that with the utmost sincerity.

I like it the way it is >.<
You won't get rid of the usual articles, right? Speaking of which, when will you release a new submission page?
Also, as have been mentioned, make sure to differentiate between news and editorials. I hope you won't get rid of all the regular "news", but maybe clean it up a bit for the magazine?

Not too shabby, though the elderly woman one should have had a picture of a redstone circuit with one piece missing.

I'm interested in what this change will mean, too. Usually the weekly "issue" comes out at a specific time, and as far as I can tell, all articles within that issue come at the same time. Of course, the Escapist isn't going to wait until one time every week to publish all news, reviews, videos, etc. with the issue, so I'm wondering what this change will actually mean. Will this be more of an aesthetic change, with the articles typically considered part of the weekly "issue" now renamed features, or something?

Jumplion:

Cousin_IT:

And keep these kinds of demeaning articles out of the loop, for the love of God.

The transition will be interesting, but this is the primary thing I am worrying about. The Escapist has always walked the fine line between a "News site" and an "Editorial site". Too often the news reporters shove their own 2 cents into the article when it does not call for it, and on occasion disgustingly biased articles (such as the one I linked) are produced. You can analyze news stories without injecting your own unprofessional opinion, and sometimes there's no need for fluff at all, just the information is suitable.

It's not that hard, other sites like IGN present news while minimally inserting their opinions with ease. When they have an editorial, it is clearly posted as such. With The Escapist, sometimes it can be a blur, and it can be incredibly frustrating when editorials pass off as news. This kind of stuff often pops up whenever studies on games are reported on, and most of those have an obvious pro-games bias stench to it.

Please, when this change goes by, and if this is a more news-central change, clean up your actual news. I say that with the utmost sincerity.

I wanted to chime in here, too. I don't mind when the Escapist reports a study or claim horribly biased against video games and then tears it apart; that's fine. But the stuff I bolded above I particularly agree with - no self-respecting news article blatantly inserts its opinions at the end of a news article. I know the Escapist aspires to be a high quality site about games, and this quirk is one thing that's always bothered me. You can't be, I don't know, "the New York Times" of video game journalism when you write opinionated remarks at the end of an article. Opinions are fine; just save them for the opinions and editorials sections.

I like it when they add a bit of opinion or humour to articles, it gives the site personality. As long as they report the actual facts they need to in order to get the story out. It's pretty easy to differentiate the parts that are fact and the parts that are opinion, I don't see what the fuss is about. Honestly it's one of the main reasons I come here for news.

That sounds all cool and comfortable! Change is good. I hope it'll make the content more organized.

By the way, where's the "new" drop-list navigating menu for the site?

The Escapist is News now, News are cool.

ranger19:
I wanted to chime in here, too. I don't mind when the Escapist reports a study or claim horribly biased against video games and then tears it apart; that's fine. But the stuff I bolded above I particularly agree with - no self-respecting news article blatantly inserts its opinions at the end of a news article. I know the Escapist aspires to be a high quality site about games, and this quirk is one thing that's always bothered me. You can't be, I don't know, "the New York Times" of video game journalism when you write opinionated remarks at the end of an article. Opinions are fine; just save them for the opinions and editorials sections.

Well, I would like to say that I do mind when the Escapist tears apart anti-video game studies and yet puts the pro-game studies on a pedestal. That's not to say that the studies are not bunk, but when you get horribly biased articles like the one I linked it doesn't matter whether it's pro- or anti-game. It's great that we're scrutinizing those "anti-game" studies, but we hardly do that to any "pro-game" studies whatsoever, and as such it leads to horribly one-sided debates on the subject.

does anyone else think the ps3 hacker kid looks like a high teenage Quentin Tarantino?

You say these are highlight from 2011, but the Plants vs Zombies thing was from 2010.
Did I completely miss something?

Jumplion:
Well, I would like to say that I do mind when the Escapist tears apart anti-video game studies and yet puts the pro-game studies on a pedestal. That's not to say that the studies are not bunk, but when you get horribly biased articles like the one I linked it doesn't matter whether it's pro- or anti-game. It's great that we're scrutinizing those "anti-game" studies, but we hardly do that to any "pro-game" studies whatsoever, and as such it leads to horribly one-sided debates on the subject.

Fair enough. Promoting biased articles is never something I would condone.. it just what wasn't what was on my mind at the moment. But I agree, the Escapist should pick apart shoddy studies no matter what, and promote good ones either way.

Going to wait and see where this is going, but I really liked the old format and the weekly articles. You guys always managed to tackle interesting issues in a compelling way.

Anyway, I have confidence in the Escapist and I'm not going to troll until *after* the new format sets in :p

That means news, reviews, videos, regular columns and webcomics will all join the feature articles as important parts of each weekly issue.

Wait what? I'm a little confused now. The Editorial Russ Pitts put up seems to say the opposite of what that statement says.

Are you guys lumping all the daily content into the "once-a-week" big issue; or spreading out the Feature articles to come out freely at any time, like how the reviews work? Wha'd I miss here?

GrizzlerBorno:

That means news, reviews, videos, regular columns and webcomics will all join the feature articles as important parts of each weekly issue.

Wait what? I'm a little confused now. The Editorial Russ Pitts put up seems to say the opposite of what that statement says.

Are you guys lumping all the daily content into the "once-a-week" big issue; or spreading out the Feature articles to come out freely at any time, like how the reviews work? Wha'd I miss here?

As I understood it, everything will be part of 1 weekly issue, but the articles of said issue will be spread out over the week. So ZP will still be put up on wednesday, but it will also be part of "issue 513" (or whatever number we're upto at the moment...)

Eleuthera:

GrizzlerBorno:

As I understood it, everything will be part of 1 weekly issue, but the articles of said issue will be spread out over the week. So ZP will still be put up on wednesday, but it will also be part of "issue 513" (or whatever number we're upto at the moment...)

Ah I see. Then the "Issue number" itself becomes a little...pointless doesn't it? Not that I'm complaining; This system looks like it will work much better at getting more views for the Features, as people now won't have to read a HUGE bunch of rhetoric, all in one go.

ok, it's seems that i have to be "that one person" who say it...
alot of the news i see in the escapist just makes no sense being there in the first place.
take or example the body armor story. now why does even exist on the escapist? it got nothing to do with gaming nor gamers.
i really understand that most of the writers want to be validated as respectable journalists. but writing about "the newest smartest computer who is going to take over the world of the week" is really irritating when you only should writ about games and gamers...

I like your news, and there seems to be left "via" articles over time. That's the important bit though, if you're going to make news a thing, you need to make sure that a reasonable portion of it is your news and not leech news.

I like the article selection choice on the Escapist though, very rarely is there a report on something I don't find interseting.

Finally, still on the lines of what counts as news, if something major happens to a certain famous gaming magazine website, maybe one we're tied up in and have accounts and details lodged with and maybe if that major thing that happens involves a certain hacking group, and maybe if that hacking group is something that definitely isn't spelled Lulzsek but is possible very similar, and maybe if that website has taken every opportunity at taking digs at Sony for only telling us what happened a couple of days after the event.

Maybe that gaming magazine website thing, should actually, you know, report it.

GrizzlerBorno:

Everything on the site - news, feature articles, comics, reviews - is all now considered part of the magazine. We won't be publishing features once a week in a lump like we used to, but rather spreading the articles out. So rather than the rest of the content conforming to the way we used to handle the features, the features are now getting with the program and being handled the way the rest of the content is.

hapipdalia:
ok, it's seems that i have to be "that one person" who say it...
alot of the news i see in the escapist just makes no sense being there in the first place.
take or example the body armor story. now why does even exist on the escapist? it got nothing to do with gaming nor gamers.
i really understand that most of the writers want to be validated as respectable journalists. but writing about "the newest smartest computer who is going to take over the world of the week" is really irritating when you only should writ about games and gamers...

Who says we should "only write about games and gamers"? This isn't about being "validated as respectable journalists," it's about sharing things that we find interesting with you guys, because we think you'll find it interesting, too. Stuff like robots and Doctor Who and scientific discoveries and movies. It's all part of the culture that we nerds enjoy, and the audience has proven that they enjoy it, too. If you don't personally like that stuff, it's easy enough to skip over so you can get to all the game news we cover.

I guess this represents my feelings

Anyway I may not like change but I'll adjust, hope it all works out!

Susan Arendt:

GrizzlerBorno:

[quote="hapipdalia" post="7.298486.11844717"]ok, it's seems that i have to be "that one person" who say it...

Who says we should "only write about games and gamers"? This isn't about being "validated as respectable journalists," it's about sharing things that we find interesting with you guys, because we think you'll find it interesting, too. Stuff like robots and Doctor Who and scientific discoveries and movies. It's all part of the culture that we nerds enjoy, and the audience has proven that they enjoy it, too. If you don't personally like that stuff, it's easy enough to skip over so you can get to all the game news we cover.

according to the "about" link in the escapist:
"Founded in 2005, The Escapist is a leading video gaming destination offering video game enthusiasts high-quality, innovative and exclusive content with a considered approach to its audience.The mouthpiece of the gaming generation, The Escapist aims to capture and celebrate the contemporary video gaming lifestyle and the diverse global video game culture by way of in-depth features, thought provoking articles and relevant columns authored by leading video game authorities, as well as cutting-edge video shorts, engaging forums and robust social media elements that incorporate the video gaming experience. "
so either a) redefine what the escapist is of
b) acully writ about thinks that relates to gaming!
however i must say that this is only my personal option, nothing else...

hapipdalia:

Susan Arendt:

GrizzlerBorno:

[quote="hapipdalia" post="7.298486.11844717"]ok, it's seems that i have to be "that one person" who say it...

according to the "about" link in the escapist:
"Founded in 2005, The Escapist is a leading video gaming destination offering video game enthusiasts high-quality, innovative and exclusive content with a considered approach to its audience.The mouthpiece of the gaming generation, The Escapist aims to capture and celebrate the contemporary video gaming lifestyle and the diverse global video game culture by way of in-depth features, thought provoking articles and relevant columns authored by leading video game authorities, as well as cutting-edge video shorts, engaging forums and robust social media elements that incorporate the video gaming experience. "
so either a) redefine what the escapist is of
b) acully writ about thinks that relates to gaming!
however i must say that this is only my personal option, nothing else...

And we still do all of that. We just do more, too. Nowhere in there does it mandate that we will only cover gaming news. We believe that there's more to the "contemporary videogaming lifestyle" than just gaming. As I said before, if you don't enjoy the extra content, there's still plenty of gaming-related content here for you.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here