Fox Already Looking At First Class Sequel

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Fox Already Looking At First Class Sequel

An X-Men sequel is all but official at this point; did anybody not see this coming?

In a summer that's been jam-packed full of comic book movies, X-Men: First Class was an incredibly pleasant surprise, both critically and financially. As a result, it should come as no surprise to anyone that Fox is actively considering a sequel for the film.

According to The Geek Files:

We've learned that the studio is "discussing sequels internally."

While there is not yet any formal announcement of a follow-up, it does show interest in continuing First Class rather than leaving it as a standalone origin tale.

Of course, it'd be more shocking if First Class didn't get a sequel. The movie has been a favorite for many critics. Not only that, but Box Office Mojo reveals that it's grossed over $335 million worldwide, which is pretty impressive since it only cost $160 million to make (after tax breaks, the production costs are reported at actually being about $135 million).

Both Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn have commented about how they have plenty of ideas for a sequel, which they would probably keep set in the 1960s and centered around real events. The 60s were a pretty major decade in history, though I'd love to see the next movie feature the 1969 Apollo Moon Landing (if the next movie's title includes "Mutants On The Moon," I demand a cut of the royalties). What about you? What real-world events would you like to see included in the next X-Men film?

Source: The Geek Files via Scree Rant

Im one of those crazy people who like when the writers actually cited the comics for reference...so I want to happen...what the comics say happened!

I want to see the Vietnam war touched upon, have the team at the start rescue Karma as a child possibly. Nothing like a blackbird screaming over the treetrops as some classic musics blasts (All Along The Watchtower is a bit cliche, but still awesome).

Some good new characters to add to the team would be Polaris to fill the Jean Gray character role and perphaps in this film continuity Havok and her could be Cyclops' parents. Thunderbird and Sunfire add some neat powers and diversity to Xaviers side as well.

I'd love to see another villain as well as Magneto, someone like Mr Sinister would be cool.

That would be good... I really liked first class, it's my favorite X-men movie already. It had more than 2 hours and somehow has still too short... Maybe because it took quite some time to explain shit that we already know, did develop their characters a lot and somehow still forgot some characters like Azazel and Emma Frost and rushed out a lot in the end.... Love it anyway...

The Vietnam War perhaps?

It's nice to see that a good movie made money.

Easily my favorite this year.

I thought they guy they picked for Prof. X was going to suck but he actually did really well. And Michael Fassbender was a fucking great Magneto too.
*swoosh*

Good, First Class was fucking awesome.

I'd like to see them get pinned for the Kennedy assassination. That'd be interesting.

I'd like to see it go more into the civil rights issues of the US at the time. It kind of sucks that they killed Darwin off because he could have had a huge role if Martin Luther King Jr. was in the sequel.

If the sequel is anything like as good as First Class was, I welcome it. It's nice to see a film that's actually good being so successful.

Personally I just want all movie right returned to Marvel. Damnit I WANT A MARVEL CIVIL WAR MOVIE!

dt61:
I'd like to see it go more into the civil rights issues of the US at the time. It kind of sucks that they killed Darwin off because he could have had a huge role if Martin Luther King Jr. was in the sequel.

Gotta agree, I was pissed when Darwin died. Sure, he was the only black mutant, but I was more mad that they didn't do more to show off his powers. The dude could adapt to anything! The fights they could've had him doing would've been so cool. (Best one I could think of is where you throw him outta the Blackbird, and he sprouts wings and flies.)

As for the sequel talks, I hope they go forward. The Vietnam war would be great to use as a backdrop. Mutant fighting in it, going behind the scense to cause the protests, or secretly running things...plenty of plot material.

rednose1:

dt61:

Gotta agree, I was pissed when Darwin died. Sure, he was the only black mutant, but I was more mad that they didn't do more to show off his powers. The dude could adapt to anything! The fights they could've had him doing would've been so cool. (Best one I could think of is where you throw him outta the Blackbird, and he sprouts wings and flies.)

Everyone I saw it with agreed that it could possibly make him overpowered.

What I would like to see?

Not set in the 60s. I'd like another origins tale, but at least make it something different.

The first mutant? Have a story focussed around whoever the really powerful ones were?

Edit: Seeing all the talk about Darwin brought something back to me.

I recently saw it for the second time today and I actually think that he may have been gay. Some of his actions and the things he says are very allusive to his sexual orientation.

Either way, he was a great character that was killed off way to early.

I loved First Class, it's my favorite X-men movie. The only thing I had a problem with was magento's costume at the end...really? I laughed my ass of when I saw it, thought it was some cosplayer xD

Tdc2182:
The first mutant? Have a story focussed around whoever the really powerful ones were?

Apocalypse would be COOL but... meh without the core X-Men it would suck. Personally I would have used him in X3 as the ultimate "f**k you" to thoe thinking that Magneto would get his war HIS way.

First Class was a brilliant film, and my only concerns about the sequel is that no matter what variation they use for the title (X-men First Class 2, X-men Second Class etc) is going to sound unwieldy and daft. Unless they just use a new subscript and credit their audience with some intelligence (X-men: Magneto Bams It Up A Notch).

-Nick

dt61:

Darwin's ability was he reacted to change right? Like evolved to his situation? That could've been a badass character if he wasn't killed off before he could fight.

Wasn't there already a sequel? Y'know, X-Men?

I mean, First Class is a prequel and all.

Then again, time in between the movies would be cool to explore, I guess. So go ahead, First Class was great.

Unsurprised but generally happy. Yay first class!

.....does anybody else want to see Age of Apocalypse as a movie? I mean really, It's the best way to retcon the series without actually retconning any of the series.

put an xmen first class spin on either the Vietnam war and or the assassination of Kennedy and see if they could do without Wolverine again[1] and I'll be a happy camper

[1] Or atleast don't let him dominate the movie if hes in as more than a cameo

Kiefer13:
If the sequel is anything like as good as First Class was, I welcome it. It's nice to see a film that's actually good being so successful.

It's only successful if you're claiming a percent of net profits. According to an IRS study, only about 5% of movies have ever made a gross profit, and thus, been taxable. This is not one of them. 135 million in gross, vice 160 in production. Your net is 355 million, so Hollywood loves it, but it's not profitable enough to tax.

Go loopholes.

Good First Class was amazing, one of the best comic book movies I've ever seen.
I say screw all the other movies and have First Class be the start of a new series.

awesome since Xmen First Class was freaking awesome...but i demand sentinels in this sequel, EPIC SENTINEL BATTLE DAMMIT, make it so!

Hmmm... to those who say that Darwin is dead... I would not be so quick to judge, dude survived some seriously freaky shit in the comics, things that would make swallowing a jolt of energy pretty tame by comparison.... (Can anyone say, being absorbed by a living island, fused to the soul of a dying teammate, jettisoned into space, reawakened by a blast of mutant energy, only to be psionically expelled from said rouge teammate?)

If they want to bring Darwin back, they have all the leeway in the world to do it. That being said, do it, I loved Darwin, he's a goddamn beast. Your ability is to adapt to anything to survive. How does your body survive a frontal attack by the Hulk? By teleporting you three states away. Badass. Cowardly, but badass.

I have an idea! They have President Kennedy in his open-top car on the day of his assassination. As he gets shot, you see that it was actually Magneto from far away with a round that he propelled towards Kennedy with his magnetism.

Why? Kennedy may have been one of the first Presidents to try and enforce a Mutant Registration Law or something, due to the events of First Class. Just sayin'

I'm not sure about real world events, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing a second teleporter in the movie (Blink, perhaps?) in order to have a teleporter vs. teleporter fight. Imagine what they did in X2 with Wolverine vs. Deathstrike to create a highly unconventional knife fight where neither competitor can die, then apply the same idea to a pair of teleporters where all their normal tactics would be negated.

Lrbearclaw:

Tdc2182:

Apocalypse would be COOL but... meh without the core X-Men it would suck. Personally I would have used him in X3 as the ultimate "f**k you" to thoe thinking that Magneto would get his war HIS way.

You mean adding Apocalypse or the Age of Apocalypse story because both would be just as awesome or even days of future past season.

sir.rutthed:
I'd like to see them get pinned for the Kennedy assassination. That'd be interesting.

a TV series called Dark Skies did that, outrage ensued, it effectively killed its US following. The problem with basis it on real events is that your going to anger a lot of people, it got worse when they used the Shuttle Columbia disaster too.

I think X-men should stick to tackling racism and prejudice with claws, but that's just me.

I loved First Class and I'd love to see more of the same as long as they don't fuck it up.

Fox want to do it? Do you think there'll be a mutant who can hack phones and not get caught?

/zing

If First class was a prequel, than the sequel would be the first X-men movie

As long as they don't call it X-Men: Second Class, and is of the same quality of the first, hell yes! Tied with Dark Knight for my favorite superhero movie.

You know what, this is the first sequel announcement in a long time that I'm actually excited about. That was a damn good movie, and it ended in a way that sets the scene for any kind of sequel they want to make. It's so nice to be excited about X-Men movies again :D

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.