The Best Final Fantasy Stop-Motion Animation You'll See Today

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Best Final Fantasy Stop-Motion Animation You'll See Today

Sephiroth: The World's Enemy is perfect Final Fantasy fan service.

Can I be honest with you guys?

I'm a little burned out on the whole "Final Fantasy VII is the best thing since Jesus created the Chocobo" thing.

I mean, yeah, I played the game when I was a teenager, and it was a great roleplaying title, but did it really warrant two decades of people gushing uncontrollably over a silver-haired, Eurotrash proto-goth?

That's the cynical mindset I had when I watched Sephiroth: The World's Enemy this morning. The video is a stop-motion animation created by amateur film maker John Huang. Previously, Huang created stop-motion flicks based on a Mega -- er, that is, Rockman/Transformers mashup and a Gundam-meets-Dragon Ball theme.

Presumably he subsists entirely on a diet of geeks wetting themselves with delight.

Caveat: Huang is not a native English speaker. Even with the language barrier, the films are still surprisingly rad, though I have to assume that those who speak Japanese may be getting more out of this than I am.

That said, why isn't Huang employed to make films professionally? He's creating these things solo, at a rate of about one every two months, and the end result looks better than most Hollywood stop-motion efforts.

Source: Kotaku

That....is one of the greatest things ive ever seen.

Great job on this

Think what this guy could do with some real money backing him! I hope someone picks this guy up and gives him a job! He'd do amazing things.

Truly fantastic, must share with the world.

That was pretty amazing. Stop-motion is always so neat to watch because of all the effort that goes into it.

Question. Isn't Sephiroth left handed in Final Fantasy VII?

Very cleverly done. Loved the damage to their surroundings and hope he doesn't need to retile the floor.

Earnest Cavalli:
Somewhere, the ghost of Ray Harryhausen is nodding approvingly.

'Somewhere' presumably being London, where Mr. Harryhausen still lives (aged 91)

That was fun. I have to see Advent Children again now.

I wasn't impressed by the fighting very much. At all. But goddamn, the sheer smoothness of the frames is incredible. If only this guy worked on Robot Chicken.

I've seen a lot of this guys stuff, he is rather good. I personally prefer Final Fantasy VII on the basis that it's the only Final Fantasy game I could play through all the way.

O_o

That is the second most impressive stop motion animation made by a single person I have ever seen...

Sixcess:

'Somewhere' presumably being London, where Mr. Harryhausen still lives (aged 91)

That was intentional, but it seems to be moot now. Huh.

Earnest Cavalli:
Caveat: Huang is not a native English speaker. Even with the language barrier, the films are still surprisingly rad, though I have to assume that those who speak Japanese may be getting more out of this than I am.

He isn't a native Japanese speaker either. He is just using lines translated in the movie to make dialog, so a lot of it doesn't match up properly. ie: "Moshi moshi" is not a greeting to be made in person. But I am guessing the dialog options were slim since the only source he could pull from is advent children.

Anyone besides me think that this fight was easier to follow than the one in Advent Children?

Wasn't this posted before? A couple weeks ago?

Excellent job, Huang. That was awesome.

Sniper Team 4:
That was pretty amazing. Stop-motion is always so neat to watch because of all the effort that goes into it.

Yes he is, that is why Cloud was able to beat him this time.

8U. thats basically my face right now. stop-motion animation is really hard and requires a lot of patience (i tried it with my friends, we quit after an hour). that is epic.

That was awesome, thought it did get a little weird with Aries dying and after the fight....just a little weird

something to note, he was doing fairly well without visibly equipped materia(though really it should have been a gold/amber gem for him to get a power boost since green is support magic)
awesome animation overall

This was AWESOME!!!

Seriously though, it's a testament to the guys skills, and the quality of SE's line of action figures.

*Total around 10 thousand pictures shots.
*Time for the production : 2 month.

For the amount work he did, it turned out really good.

Sniper Team 4:

If you noticed that, you're either the most observant human being in the world, an alien, a robot, an alien robot, or you have too much time on your hands.

Aside: Yeah, that pretty well kicked ass.

What's funny is that I played FF7 not too long ago on my PSP, and.. it actually was better than I remembered it as a kid. Some things didn't age too well, like Sephiroth's lousy characterization, but thematically, he worked just fine. He's an extension of Shinra's reach exceeding it's grasp, moving from meddling in all things earthly to meddling with things unearthly. Frankly, whether he's a Euro-trash goth boy with an oedipal complex, sketchy motivations, and a lame-ass plan doesn't matter; what matters is that he's got the image, that this is what he represents thematically, and that he represents it strongly--which he does.

Everything else in the game, comparatively, is very well-executed. Sephy might be overrated in a lot of ways, but the way the world and its NPCs are fleshed out, there's very little waste otherwise. What really got me was Aeris's stepmom. This one character has a stronger backstory than a lot of main characters in the newer games of the series.

I didn't understand a single word! :D But I obviously don't need that in order to enjoy it. And hey, DBZ sound effects are the best.

It just goes to show that a cool FFVII movie could have been possible. Heck, Cloud doesn't even seem angsty at all. In fact, I'll go as far as to say he looks badass! I wouldn't even mind the fact that FFVII IS overrated (Shut up, it is).

Favorite parts:

-Oley box in the background
-Deadly tripod box
-Aeris' badassness
-Aeris eating materia and not digesting it properly

LEARN FROM THIS, SQUARE ENIX! LEARN IT!

Taping their feet to the ground?... I used to do that too XP

Not G. Ivingname:
O_o

That is the second most impressive stop motion animation made by a single person I have ever seen...

thankyou for sharing that beautiful video with me.

twaddle:

Not G. Ivingname:
O_o

thankyou for sharing that beautiful video with me.

Your welcome! ^_^

It took the creator ten YEARS to make and finish that thing, including making his own puppets, animating it, and having to come up with several new facial movement techniques using strings instead of swapping mouths every frame (that is why barely anybody uses stop motion anymore, it takes FOREVER to do right).

Beautiful End:
I didn't understand a single word! :D But I obviously don't need that in order to enjoy it. And hey, DBZ sound effects are the best.

It just goes to show that a cool FFVII movie could have been possible. Heck, Cloud doesn't even seem angsty at all. In fact, I'll go as far as to say he looks badass! I wouldn't even mind the fact that FFVII IS overrated (Shut up, it is).

Favorite parts:

-Oley box in the background
-Deadly tripod box
-Aeris' badassness
-Aeris eating materia and not digesting it properly

LEARN FROM THIS, SQUARE ENIX! LEARN IT!

Really again?

OT:He should of used a phoenix down. Still it was a good video though.

That fight scene was easily as epic as the one in Advent Children, if not more so.

...I might have to go play FF7 again now. Or at least Dissidia.

Bringing a new meaning to "made In Taiwan."

More like Sephiroth: The Worst Enemy, amirite?

Ok ok, I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. Anyway, a very well made production. I really liked the special effects.

This guy has some serious talent. That was pretty freakin' awesome.

I think I love that the whole battle takes place on the kitchen floor :) Something about that has a very "Christmas Toy/Jim Henson's Secret World of Toys" feel to it.

When you're not home, your figurines will epic battles of their own.
"What the hell! Mom, who messed up my room?"

Seriously though, impressive stop-motion skills he has. Really astounding work.

I still think VIII is better than VII. And if you tell me I'm wrong because mine has a whiny emo guy lead, maybe you should look at VII again. Also, Aeris' death did not strike me as the best example of story telling ever. I was more impressed by the death of that guy who is next to Gaz when they both get shot. Where is his long 'I shall avenge you' speech? Also, no-one used Aeries.

This video made me realize something very important...

Every single Japaneese person sounds exactly the same to me... And I have no idea why.

EDIT: Also correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that Chaos Emeralds were a Sonic thing!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here