Dragon Age II Leaves Kirkwall With Legacy DLC

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Dragon Age II Leaves Kirkwall With Legacy DLC

Venture into a forgotten Grey Warden prison to unearth secrets behind the bloodline of Hawke.

BioWare's Dragon Age II was released back in March, and while some loved it - our own Greg Tito among them - others saw it as making more compromises than it perhaps ought to have. With Dragon Age 2: Legacy, the game's first major DLC expansion, BioWare seems to be trying to make it up to the game's critics.

One of the most oft-repeated criticisms of the game was its reuse of environments, and one of the first points on the official site is that players will be leaving the all-too-familiar city of Kirkwall for entirely new sites and locales. The setting this time around includes an "ancient Grey Warden prison" that the player and party must investigate after coming under attack by a criminal group hunting protagonist Hawke's bloodline.

Legacy focuses on Hawke's father (who was not in the original game) - and the way that the BioWare site mentions the "harsh truth about the Hawke lineage," it's a safe bet that Hawke won't like what s/he finds in the prison.

Other critics of the game claimed that it wasn't nearly tactical enough (as they believed a "true" PC RPG should be), and BioWare has promised new Darkspawn enemies that will require tactical use of the player's entire party to vanquish. According to Game Informer, the Legacy demo showed a fight against a Guardian enemy that would constantly spawn clones of itself to join the fight in order to distract the player and hamper their progress.

BioWare has also said that there will be more character customization this time around - defeating the Guardian enables a player to tweak out Hawke's class-specific weapon with upgrades like "speed reduction" or "increased critical damage."

Legacy is due on July 26th for PS3, PC and Xbox 360, at the price of $9.99, 800 BioWare Points, and 800 Microsoft Points, respectively. Will it win you over?

(Dragon Age II: Legacy)

While I don't think good DLC can make up for a so-so game, the fact that they're taking these steps at least bodes well for Dragon Age 3.

The whole tactics complaint of a "true" RPG is utter bollocks. An RPG is roleplaying, not a strategy game, it's character building, getting into who you're pretending to be, making choices, not spreadsheets and excel forms.

That said, I'm looking very much forward to more material to one of the best games of the year.

I really don't know how to feel about this. On one hand, I don't want to spend 10 dollars to play DA2 for a few hours more, being the only Bioware game I couldn't play through more than once. On the other hand, I really want to see if it turns out good. Guess I'll be waiting for reviews.

Told them game as soon as I completed it, I won't be buying it again for some bullshit DLC

Well, what still irks me, is that they're tailoring the DLC as a response to DAII's critical reaction. In that case, why not simply give it away for free as a "peace offering" of sorts and a gesture of goodwill towards those who vehemently derided the game. That would seriously help Bioware's recently tarnished reputation.

Also, fire Hamburger Helper, she's little more than a literary hack who is more at home crafting fan-fiction than being a "professional" writer in a multi-billion dollar industry.

Nope, I'm done with the game. It was mediocre, didn't expect it to be great and I wasn't really disappointed but I'm certainly not buying DLC for it, moreso because I hate BioWare's DLC in general.

A 10$ DLC that probably will only be a few hours long tops (If it turns out longer, it will be a pleasant surprise) will not change peoples minds about the game.

AlternatePFG:
Nope, I'm done with the game. It was mediocre, didn't expect it to be great and I wasn't really disappointed but I'm certainly not buying DLC for it, moreso because I hate BioWare's DLC in general.

A 10$ DLC that probably will only be a few hours long tops (If it turns out longer, it will be a pleasant surprise) will not change peoples minds about the game.

Aye, I had the game since release, and with all the issues I've had with it, the whole Signature Edition copy with nothing in it being just the smallest associated with it.

When I say I want more character customization, that doesn't mean throwing in a fucking weapon upgrade, no. It means unchaining all the damn characters from their forced archetypes, so I can finally have a Non-Anders Healer, or maybe a sibling character that is actually useful past the first half-hour/hour of gameplay.

And more tactical isn't going to fix the combat either. For all they did in speeding up the horribly slow combat of Origins, its way too fast now. Whether its a dagger or giant two-hander, your character still flies all around everywhere and attack at what feels the same speed in the first place. Otherwise its still the same old "wait for cooldowns" combat from Origins, just prettied up like a flashy whore.

My critcism is how the three part act was handled, the one dimensional companions, almost no effect on how Kirkwall changes in 10 years, little meaningful choices, and a poor choice of endings that neither I would choose... Also a DLC of a main companion on day one is asinine to charge people. I am not even going to buy this unless it is ground breaking and on sale later...

Markgraf:
Well, what still irks me, is that they're tailoring the DLC as a response to DAII's critical reaction. In that case, why not simply give it away for free as a "peace offering" of sorts and a gesture of goodwill towards those who vehemently derided the game. That would seriously help Bioware's recently tarnished reputation.

Also, fire Hamburger Helper, she's little more than a literary hack who is more at home crafting fan-fiction than being a "professional" writer in a multi-billion dollar industry.

They should have given the Prince DLC free to all people that bought the game... I have it because of pre-order, but it's a major character that was ripped out for reason to make more money...

Well i'm in the middle of my game and i really don't see why people hate it so much...but ahh well.

Anyways, i'm always up for some DLC, Bring it on Bioware! ;)

At least we finally get to leave Kirkwall for a brief spell. I was expecting more from a dlc, but I'll probably pick this up anyway... and hate myself for doing so...

VanTesla:

Markgraf:

They should have given the Prince DLC free to all people that bought the game... I have it because of pre-order, but it's a major character that was ripped out for reason to make more money...

Not to mention the character is annoying and the actual content consisted of a couple extra quests (The recruitment quest does not count because it's basically "Kill These Guys" in places you will visit eventually anyway.) and that was it.

Seriously, at least Shale was an interesting character, with some new game mechanics and came free if you bought the game new.

Oh wow i don't see a reason not to get this ... oh wait right the game suck balls beyond any dlc can ever hope to repair.

John Funk:
Will it win you over?

NEEEEEVAR!

because i was already on its side. i didnt find it to be so bad on the other hand i havent played the first one though.. but still it was above average. i have played worse and the random quarrels between party members was really funny to listen to.

AlternatePFG:

VanTesla:

Markgraf:

Not to mention the character is annoying and the actual content consisted of a couple extra quests (The recruitment quest does not count because it's basically "Kill These Guys" in places you will visit eventually anyway.) and that was it.

Seriously, at least Shale was an interesting character, with some new game mechanics and came free if you bought the game new.

I agree 100% and feel the evil influence of EA is destroying all of Bioware. Soon they will be gone if this keeps up... I hate Activision, but atleast they let Blizzard have their time on titles...

Sweet. I have been waiting for something good to spend my MS points on.

I hope they actually play-tested their DLC. Too bad they didn't with DA2. I beat it traded that shit in while the trading was good. After my discount for buying it on Amazon and the trade-in, it only cost me 15$ to play...which was still too much for me. Those who convinced themselves to enjoy DA2 will probably buy the DLC, which is unfortunate, because Bioware should be financially punished for releasing that piece of garbage.

It's quite obvious the reason recent Bioware games have been lacking in the quality department is EA's relentless pursuit to cash in on their brand. I will not be purchasing this DLC nor will I be purchasing future games with the EA label as I refuse to support a publisher whose business model is built around ruining amazing studios.

Aw, man, I can't afford any new games... seems I'll be living on noodles this August

The small areas I could have gotten over. The repeated waves upon waves upon waves, etc, etc. I could have gotten over. The repeated areas I could have gotten over. The linearity I could have gotten over. The BROKEN TANK spec I WILL NOT GET OVER. Taunt is ****. Tank spec warrior is ****. Aggroing as a tank is ****. I LOVE to tank. I love to sacrifice offense for a fantastic defense. Everything about DA2 made a tank spec warrior either useless or a liability. The only reason Aveline was useful was because she was given extremely useful talents the main protagonist could not have ****in bull****! I am sorry, but DA2 was a big old **** you to people who love to tank and I am not looking forward to DA3 or any DA2 dlc because the problem cannot be fixed eaily.

<hate>
I will not buy this for all the pointy hats in Hogwarts.
</hate>

SpiderJerusalem:
The whole tactics complaint of a "true" RPG is utter bollocks. An RPG is roleplaying, not a strategy game, it's character building, getting into who you're pretending to be, making choices, not spreadsheets and excel forms.

That said, I'm looking very much forward to more material to one of the best games of the year.

Some would beg to differ. Then again, some will complain about any game if it doesn't massage their back and tell them how great they are.

It's good to see that BioWare is adding some of the elements they took out back, though. If they keep the good elements of Origins and DA2, then they could make it great.

Still, I don't plan on buying this. I'm not one for DLC.

I don own DA. But this is fucking stupid.

A dlc lasts for a few hours. What they should do is make an expansion pack. Atleast you get more time ot of it, potntial replay value.

Als calling it Hawkes father was some blood mage grey warden. Somethi evil anyway.

I wonder how ridiculous the new darkspawn will look.

See this? This is me not giving a toss.

We heard all the lies about DA2 being "just as tactical" before it's release.
Mike Laidlaw and his team have no idea what they are doing. That, or they are being very poorly led.

After playing Dragon Age Origin DLC, and then Dragon Age 2, I have no reason to suspect that this DLC will be worth my time, let alone my cash.

They've already said they're happy with the broken wave system, so we know combat is gonna be as spam happy as ever.
The daft art style is still there.
My in game decisions clearly don't matter. Most were ignored or retcon'ed.
I'd still be stuck with Hawke's annoying companions.
And I'm still not sold on why I should care or take any interest in Hawke. He wasn't an interesting as a character and I couldn't "become" Hawke either.

The only upside to the DLC is that you'd get to finally leave that prison, Kirkwall.
Woohoo.
I get my rotten sandwich on a different colored plate.

It's gonna take alot to convince me this franchise is back on track after that abomination.

Markgraf:

But Merrill makes her Squee! And she's like totally the virginal girl next door, who is like soo crazy but she's like a little sweet kid like a lost kitten who needs to be hugged!

While we're at it, Gaider can get kicked too.

this isnt my name:

Well, Bioware has apparently decided they are done designing their own monsters haha:

Screenshot from Legacy:

I have no idea what went so horribly, horribly wrong (in terms of writing, gameplay, you name it) between DA:O and DA2, but I doubt this DLC will change anything.

I'm looking forward to getting some more Dragon Age. Since very little is known about Hawke's father besides that he was an apostate mage, I think this is going to be interesting.

Soviet Heavy:

Markgraf:

But Merrill makes her Squee! And she's like totally the virginal girl next door, who is like soo crazy but she's like a little sweet kid like a lost kitten who needs to be hugged!

And Chee.

Really, all you need to know about the DA2 writers is that they wrote these. They must have had one crazy good editor for DA:O.

Kahunaburger:

this isnt my name:

Well, Bioware has apparently decided they are done designing their own monsters haha:

Screenshot from Legacy:

I have no idea what went so horribly, horribly wrong (in terms of writing, gameplay, you name it) between DA:O and DA2, but I doubt this DLC will change anything.

That... that's just sad. I thought that Darkspawn were mutated from other species? What in the hell is that supposed to be mutated from?

Hurlock=Human
Genlock=Dwarf
Shriek=Elf
Ogre=Qunari

Lord of the Rings Troll=Lord of the Rings Troll.

wow,
The post (pic LOTR comparison above) is Hilarious!!!!!
the DLC will have NOTHING to do with the game. It will be "load before mini-boss gangbang ending", that will be some stupid fetch quest. Hunt down daddy Hawke magic bed pan and find out "oh NO my daddy was a mean man."

Cloning respawning darkspawn..........f'n genius!!!! Its almost like you dont have to come up with ANY REASON to fight any BS doppleganger auto spawn c/p.

F this $10 abortion

Soviet Heavy:

Markgraf:

Oh dear Christ, what was that writers name again? I remember checking out if the writing team had changed, and I noticed she was the new addition to the team.
She was behind the writing of pretty much EVERY scene I hated.

"Giggle-squee" indeed. I'll second your statement. She should get back to writing awful slash-fiction.

As much of a jerk as David Gaider has been to the fanbase, I'll forgive him for all the good he's done in the past. The quests he wrote were still half decent.

Soviet Heavy:
What in the hell is that supposed to be mutated from?

Well, the image url is: http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/dragonage2/assets/gallery/screenshots/screenshot-69-legacy_genlock-p.jpg, so I think it's supposed to be a genlock :(

So either Legacy is also going to unveil a previously unknown race of 7-foot dwarves or the DA2 team has absolutely no shame.

Kahunaburger:

Soviet Heavy:
What in the hell is that supposed to be mutated from?

Well, the image url is: http://na.llnet.bioware.cdn.ea.com/u/f/eagames/bioware/dragonage2/assets/gallery/screenshots/screenshot-69-legacy_genlock-p.jpg, so I think it's supposed to be a genlock :(

So either Legacy is also going to unveil a previously unknown race of 7-foot dwarves or the DA2 team has absolutely no shame.

Oh lovely. I wonder if there will be any Emissary type Genlocks. Maybe they'll look like Orks next!

Never cared what others said about DAO and DA2 since I loved them. And the reason why I didn't cared abut their opinion was that while they were playing Chronotrigger,Final Fantasy or Zelda and thinking those were good RPGs I was thinking they were pretty shit and was enjoying my time playing Might and Magic and Wizardry series.
As for Legacy I just hope it's not just a 30 minutes quest.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here