Batman: Year One Gets Animated

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Batman: Year One Gets Animated

Frank Miller's classic series is getting the animation treatment, and the early trailer looks pretty darn impressive.

When the Bruce Timm DC Animated Universe came to an end a few years ago, the subsequent DC animated films were pretty hit-or-miss for a while (a particularly big miss was Superman: Doomsday back in 2007). Recently, though, the animated releases have been surprisingly great, and it looks like the trend is going to continue thanks to the new Batman: Year One.

The new animated feature is based on the acclaimed graphic novel by Frank Miller, which details the origins and first year of Batman's operations in Gotham. That means this film covers the Dark Knight's early mistakes and problematic relationship with the city's police department. The comic helped establish the tone for Batman that still exists (as a darker, more driven character), and is considered by many to be the greatest Batman title to be printed.

If you pick up a copy of Green Lantern: Emerald Knights, there's a sneak peak of the film that reveals how the people involved with it (including Bruce Timm himself) are treating the adaptation as faithfully as they can. The visual style seems more faithful to Timm's clean style, though many of the shots in the trailer are pretty faithfully taken straight from Miller's comic panels.

On top of all this, the voice cast is pretty impressive: Eliza Dushku is going to be Catwoman, Bryan Cranston will play Jim Gordon, and Ben McKenzie will be Batman himself. Currently the movie is listed as coming out on October 18th, but it's not available for pre-order yet.

Source: Batman Year One via Screen Rant

Before watching anything, I'd like to say, "NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo. It was perfectly fine before. There is no need to change this, especially when it'd be this hard to translate."

edit: Okay, maybe it won't be terrible. Still not sold though.

Not a fan of the animation style, artistically very weak compared to the original work and I still don't understand any reason someone would want to watch it rather than read the original.

Looks good, and I loved the Timm-verse.

I nominate that they do Long Halloween and Dark Victory next. A nice little trilogy that wraps up with Dick becoming Robin.

vansau:

If you pick up a copy of Green Lantern: Emerald Nights

You forgot the K in nights.

While DC film aren't great when it come to live action films (except for Batman) but the one thing they are good at is making animated films so I will be looking forward to this when it come out.

Yes please. I love Batman: Year 1, and this looks very faithful to the source material.

I loves me some animated superhero movies!

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Oct 18th.... check.

So... I guess Kevin Conroy was busy?

I'm actually not very familiar with Frank Miller's Batman stuff, so I'll be watching this without nostalgia/fanboy goggles.

Sonicron:
So... I guess Kevin Conroy was busy?

I'm actually not very familiar with Frank Miller's Batman stuff, so I'll be watching this without nostalgia/fanboy goggles.

Good. Most of Frank Miller's work is absolute garbage, not to mention that he's rather misguided in his general viewpoints.

That said, Batman: Year One, and to a lesser degree, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, are some of the most well-constructed pieces of Noir you will ever read. Also, Batman.

YESYESYESYESYES!
Now do this for Frank Millers The Dark Night Returns and the next time you'll see me is a month later lying naked and sweaty on my bed... ahem...

The trailer was new but with regards to the movie I thought people had known about this for a couple of months now

MelasZepheos:

I nominate that they do Long Halloween and Dark Victory next. A nice little trilogy that wraps up with Dick becoming Robin.

This ^^. Seriously, all you high profile Hollywood producers that frequent the Escapist (YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE) get on this!

Also; Bryan Cranston as Gordon? You have my attention.

If theres one thing DC can do better than Marvel, its cartoons.

This Batman voice is meh. I'd much prefer Kevin Conroy or Bruce Greenwood.

P.S. Thanks

ThePeaceFrog:
Not a fan of the animation style, artistically very weak compared to the original work and I still don't understand any reason someone would want to watch it rather than read the original.

I'm excited by animation is my passion specifically 2d and knowing dc is both pushing 2d animation and giving good stories too I am quite happy

Ryan from the OC as batman?!? wtf people...i get that he is younger here and maybe thats why but Conroy pulled off a year one Bruce in mask of the phantasm...

Dushku and Cranston are good choices tho

zombie711:
If theres one thing DC can do better than Marvel, its cartoons.

Actually I'm quite looking forward to this new Batman movie... DC don't disappoint us. Anything is better than the Batman movie "Batman & Robin", in my opinion.

MelasZepheos:
Looks good, and I loved the Timm-verse.

I would say Batman Year 100, THEN the Long Halloween (seeing as a full-length animated JSA: The Liberty Files is out of the picture).

Great with new Batman, this I say.
But..I understand that this is a young Batman, but still..That voice is just dead wrong for him.

I wasn't that excited for this movie. The original comic is brilliant but I think an adaption is unnessary, especially when we already have Batman Begins.

Then I saw the voice actors. Aaron Paul as Batman? Bryan Cranston as Gordon? You know what that means?

That's right. Batman and Gordon make meth.

EDIT...Wait. I swore it was Aaron Paul when I first read about this...

...Right, whatever, Cranston as Gordon is just a great choice.

The trailer gets it all wrong. Year One isn't about Batman, it's about Gordon.

Scarim Coral:

vansau:

If you pick up a copy of Green Lantern: Emerald Nights

You forgot the K in nights.

While DC film aren't great when it come to live action films (except for Batman) but the one thing they are good at is making animated films so I will be looking forward to this when it come out.

Y'know... I was thinking the exact same thing.

Is that magic? PINKIE magic?
I vote yes. Now allow me to panic.

Hooray! More Batman! I f*cking love Batman.

So will they introduce the origin of the Joker aka the Red Hood?

Very Cool.

Isn't Frank Miller the guy who hates it when other people make his comics into animated/live action things?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

Batman is nice and all, but can we have some DC animations that aren't focused around Batman, Superman or Green Lantern?

The Green Arrow short they did was fantastic, I want to see more of that.

Tdc2182:
Very Cool.

Isn't Frank Miller the guy who hates it when other people make his comics into animated/live action things?

Or am I thinking of someone else?

You're thinking of Alan Moore.

Why not rather make a cartoon out of the Hush books? They deserve that.

I really liked the adaptation of 'All Star Superman'. My main gripe with those DC Animated movies is that they are way too short on average!

Oh well, here's to hoping the movie will be worth it!

I heard about this right after I saw Emerald Knights. Surprised? D.C. is pretty great with these animated movies. I liked all of them, even the Doomsday one... >>. Even if it wasn't what I expected. They still need to do one for the Flash though... I'm sure his turn will come. Eventually.

Anywho... looking forward to it.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I never really cared that much about how Bruce Wayne trained to become Batman, just that he became Batman.

Still, Batman cartoons are like mother's milk to me.

Life is really starting to feel like "Groundhogs Day". I feel like I've had to watch this part in Batman's story a thousand times. It's boring. I'm done with it.

Can anybody tell me what makes Franks version different/better than what I already know?

Okay, I'm going to avoid this on the grounds of the horrible Batman voice alone. He sounds half asleep and the tone is all wrong. I know not everyone can be Kevin Conroy but yikes.

Kevin Conroy as Batman and Mark Hamel as the Joker or I'm not watching.

End of story. Thankyouverymuch.

Well, atleast they're going by one of Frank Millers GOOD batman stories.

It's going to be weird watching a Batman film done in Timm's art-style without Kevin Conroy voicing the Bat. Looks good, though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here