Mass Effect Comics Free For 24 Hours

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Mass Effect Comics Free For 24 Hours

For the next 24 hours, Dark Horse Comics is offering the entire breadth of its two Mass Effect comic series free of charge.

This generous move comes in anticipation of the upcoming Dark Horse/BioWare panel at this year's San Diego Comic Con (scheduled for July 23).

This also serves to generate hype for the newly announced Mass Effect: Invasion comic, which Dark Horse will launch in October. From the official announcement:

BioWare, a division of Electronic Arts, and Dark Horse Comics announced today Mass Effect: Invasion, a four issue comic series detailing the events following Commander Shepard's epic journey in the critically acclaimed Action Role Playing Game Mass Effect 2. Starting today only fans can visit the Dark Horse Digital Store to download previous issues of the Mass Effect comic book series and will also get an exclusive first look at Mass Effect: Invasion.

With a story by Mass Effect lead writer Mac Walters and an original script by John Jackson Miller, best known for his work on Star Wars: Knight Errant, and art from Omar Francia who also did work on Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2, Mass Effect: Invasion focuses on Aria T'Loak, a self-appointed queen of Omega, a space station catering to the galaxy's underworld. T'Loak is a key figure in the Mass Effect universe and must defend her territory from a terrifying new threat unleashed by the pro-human black-ops organization Cerberus. Mass Effect: Invasion will launch its first issue this October.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that word of this publicity stunt has washed over the Internet geek culture like a voracious swarm of geth. Prospective fans have flooded the firm's servers, and the Dark Horse Digital Store is currently down.

The promotion ends on July 14 at 3PM EST, so hopefully at some point in the next 21 hours the flood of server requests will abate. Until then, find some way to amuse yourselves. I hear BioWare is making interesting games these days.

Source: Dark Horse Comics

I have both minis already, but I might download it simply because its free.

Thanks for pointing this out, guess I know what I'm going to camping for the next 21 hours *reaches for flask of earl grey tea*

Earnest Cavalli:
The bad news is that word of this publicity stunt has washed over the Internet geek culture like a voracious swarm of geth. Prospective fans have flooded the firm's servers, and the Dark Horse Digital Store is currently down.

Much like the Genophage this is good news and bad news. On the one hand, I'd love to check out the comics for free. On the other, I can't.

Fappy:
I have both minis already, but I might download it simply because its free.

Fappy, I love your Mao avatar, my brother has one too over on his forums, gg sir.

This action is going to destroy my F5 key....

damn it to bloody hell! the page is down.....is it piracy if i "liberate" a copy of the series online in the 24 hour period?

Huh. Either I'm magic, or it's definitely back up.

Ah the internet "Free com-" *Website down* Oh for f**k's sake.

Here's a caveat;

Free to read, if you want to keep you still have to buy it seems.

Their servers didn't ask for this.

Edit:

008Zulu:
Here's a caveat;

Nothings stopping you from saving the images somewhere on your computer... Right?

Gather:

Edit:

008Zulu:
Here's a caveat;

Nothings stopping you from saving the images somewhere on your computer... Right?

Morality. So, yeah, no.

OT: Looks cool. I don't like the art style, but I will forward this to my friend who is a huge fan of this.

CM156:

Gather:

Edit:

008Zulu:
Here's a caveat;

Morality. So, yeah, no.

OT: Looks cool. I don't like the art style, but I will forward this to my friend who is a huge fan of this.

They are offering their product digitally, on the internet, for free.

Context can trump morality. If they undertook this expecting anything else, then morality should compel us all to do it, so that they learn their lesson and never do it again. We're just saving them heartache in the future ;D

Is it for the UK too ? I dont care enough to buy them, but its free entertainmet so why not.

Oh its digital. Ok then, ignore me.

Think I missed it, ah well.

Site is slow.

They must have expected it

I don't get this, surely they must have known people on the internet are sometimes interested in free stuff? And they are showing large high quality images to everyone, one at a time and don't even allow people to download stuff directly but force them to navigate through their website everytime they want to switch to a new site.

Seriously, how could they not see the downtime coming?

twaddle:
damn it to bloody hell! the page is down.....is it piracy if i "liberate" a copy of the series online in the 24 hour period?

...You know... that is a REALLY good question.

twaddle:

You mean so that you can read it for free whenever you want after the 24 hour period is up? Because if that's what you're talking about, yeah, probably.

Brainst0rm:
Context can trump morality. If they undertook this expecting anything else, then morality should compel us all to do it, so that they learn their lesson and never do it again. We're just saving them heartache in the future ;D

This is why we can't have nice things.

Oh cool, once the servers get back up I'll definitely be downloading these.

Earnest Cavalli:

Until then, find some way to amuse yourselves.

Back to Cthulhu Saves The World then!

Sadly the site is not back up yet... and for a while I was actually able to view the first one for a brief time before the site timed out.

:(

I wants, but I can't since:
- not using my computer
- store is offline last I checked, so no download.

Hm. I've read Redemption before.

It, uh... wasn't very good. In fact, it was rather bad.

Can't say I'm exactly giddy with excitement at the prospect of reading the rest of 'em.

Zhukov:

Can't say I'm exactly giddy with excitement at the prospect of reading the rest of 'em.

The Mass Effect story seems to work better as a game. I'm sure it could be changed into something more easily consumable in movie, book, or comic form... but it might lose its sparkle without player choice.

Dark Horse has nothing to do with my video games.

I refuse to support their artwork based off a fad.

If it comes down to a real story based comic (lap) book (file) then I guess I am not cool enough to experience the full story.

Richardplex:
Thanks for pointing this out, guess I know what I'm going to camping for the next 21 hours *reaches for flask of earl grey tea*

Good sir, I shall be doing the same. "reaches for pot of black coffee and IV drip*

MmmFiber:

Zhukov:

The Mass Effect story seems to work better as a game. I'm sure it could be changed into something more easily consumable in movie, book, or comic form... but it might lose its sparkle without player choice.

I think it was the pacing that screwed it, at least for me. Packing a fairly complex story, complete with plot twists, into a few 30-page comics necessitates a major development every 5 pages or so. The end result comes across as rather... frenetic.

Also, Mass Effect's dialogue can be a bit corny at the best of times. The lack of convincing verbal delivery does not help.

Evolution was pretty good, but yeah that was the only good one I've read. I think the problem was the amount they tried to cram in. Evolution was better paced because in-universe it all happened in a fairly short time period.

"Oh, hey, look, we're giving away things for free!" Said the owners of the massively popular franchise. "I'm betting nobody will get it tho. So no need to soup up the servers"

Great idea, few millions of fans of a game... Let's make them all want to download our stuf.

Whoops. What do you mean servers have capacity? WHY IS IT NOT UNLIMITED, YOU'RE FIRED.

And this is what torrents are for.
I hope they get the site up at some point, I wouldn't mind checking this out.

Well the site's up, but I don't see any free comics :(

They're not free right now.

$5.97 for the Mass Effect: Redemption bundle.
$7.96 for the Mass Effect: Evolution bundle.

Managed to add the comics to my collection so far but when I click to read them I just get a page with the comic's title printed in bold capitals.....

Finally able to log in, no comics though. On any other day, this would have been an epic DOS attack, from the likes of Anonymous.

erbkaiser:

I added them to my checkout with that listing price and in the checkout it lists them as $0.00, strange system but whatever works.

erbkaiser:

Just read them anyway. They won't charge you. Not until the deal expires anyway.

Finally managed to grab them this morning. Last night when it was announced I couldn't go anywhere on the site. I guess it's because the US is sleeping right now, hehe.

I actually have Redemption comics somewhere in the house, but doesn't hurt to grab the digital version. Saves me from having to get them out of their sleeves.

008Zulu:
Here's a caveat;

If you create an account, it gets added to your collection when you read it. Thus, you "own" it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.