Netflix App on 3DS: It Really Works!

Pages PREV 1 2

Yukichin:
Does the update delete all of the trailers from E3 that Nintendo put up? They've been saying they'd be unavailable soon, and I don't know if they meant they'd be unavailable from the shop or if they'd delete them like they did the OK Go video.

I downloaded the Netflix app yesterday and all of the trailers are still on my home screen, so I'm going to say no, they didn't delete them. Admittedly, this was merely an eShop app, not a system update, so Ninty might delete them later on.

Kysafen:
[snip]

Balobo:

Hahahaha streaming movies over 3G?

As little I know about telecommunications technologies, I'd imagine if you could play with people online in real-time, you could at least stream video.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

That depends on which 3G technology you have available. HSPA+ is up to 84Mb, which is certainly enough to stream video-- it uses a rather rare antenna technology called MIMO.

Even if you can find a carrier with HSPA+, it's very rare for speeds to go beyond 21Mbit. However, 21Mbit is quite enough to stream high-definition video, given that your carrier has a stable downlink.

3G technologies have a wide range of connection speeds, but it's one of those cases where "standards are beautiful, because there are so many to choose from".

As a professional working in the telecom industry, I would say stick with wifi for video until 4G is generally rolled out; it's a ways to go before that massive infrastructure is in place but while 3G is theoretically all you need for HD streaming, in practice you might find something else depending on your location and subscription-plan etc.

LTE, aka 4G, however, gives you the dedicated bandwidth you need for high-resolution streaming content-- provided your provider has put up enough boxes to handle all the traffic of course.

Raeil:

Yukichin:
Does the update delete all of the trailers from E3 that Nintendo put up? They've been saying they'd be unavailable soon, and I don't know if they meant they'd be unavailable from the shop or if they'd delete them like they did the OK Go video.

I downloaded the Netflix app yesterday and all of the trailers are still on my home screen, so I'm going to say no, they didn't delete them. Admittedly, this was merely an eShop app, not a system update, so Ninty might delete them later on.

Oh, awesome. The article had said you have to download a system update to get to it, so I was worried. Thank you!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here