Survey Says Women Prefer Games Over Sex

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Hey stud, Mario is giving your lady more pleasure than you are. Doritos says so.

Like a nacho cheese-flavored Richard Dawson, Doritos recently polled 2,052 people and discovered that the ladies apparently prefer game time over sexy time.

MCV reports:

The survey of 2,052 people was commissioned by Doritos and found that 49 per cent of women play online games, almost matching the 50 per cent of men that game online.

Of these female online gamers, 84 per cent said they enjoy their gaming sessions, compared to just 70 per cent who enjoy sex. 62 per cent enjoy working out, 71 per cent enjoy shopping and 75 per cent enjoy having a bath.

Additionally, the survey found that of the average 3.5 hours the participants spent online each week, those of the feminine persuausion dedicated 23.1 percent of their time to interactive gaming, while the burly male types found themselves gaming only 22.3 percent of the time.

Alright, look, I'm going to level with you guys: Even forgetting that this survey was conducted by a company most famous for clogging keyboards worldwide with greasy orange dust, this entire thing is meaningless.

84 percent of women enjoy gaming, while only 70 percent enjoy sex? I don't see a correlation between the two data points. I see an entertainment industry segment designed to be, at best, wildly entertaining (and at worst, completely inoffensive) succeeding at its goal, while the act of male/female coitus is exactly as awkward, baffling and confusingly unerotic as it has been since Adam first asked Eve if she wanted to see his "snake."

Of course, a headline like "games are rad, sex is pretty confusing for most people" wouldn't do much for the Doritos PR wonks, so the company explicitly focused on the most salacious data point it could find.

Remember kids: Sex sells, but questioning the virility of your stupid male audience will have you swimming through a Scrooge McDuckian money vault by the end of the week.

Source: MCV

So, how many lads are feeling self conscious right now?

Calumon: They like games better than them being a girl? That's silly.

Jack: ...Yes, let's go with that.

One wonders why they were investigating this...Even if it's a bluff, why? Just why?

And then the world felt the force behind Ken Levine's fist pump that day...

My partner hates gaming. Why is everyone chasing gamer girls again?

This makes no sense. There's only one logical explanation - They be trolling.

I'm curious to see the age groups surveyed. Also, two thousand people is a pretty small test group in the grand scheme of things.

Forget all that sex vs. game stuff. The average time spent online a week is 3.5 hours? Casuals.

So what Skyrim is going to be the new chastity belt ?

.5 hours... Thats fuc all. I spent more time in one day yesterday when I tied to complete metro 2033 in 2 sittings. Or was it 3... I dont remember, but damn thats not much, its like 30 minutes a day...

So Doritos just called into question every mans ability to please his woman. Good job Doritos.

So me and the ladies do have something in common after all.

Yeah... I really cannot be compelled to trust the findings of research conducted and funded by Doritos. Who peer reviewed it? Chester Cheetah?

Outside of that, I honestly do not find it surprising in the least

There are more than enough games to be played in the bedroom.

Its Doritos trying to depress us, so that we eat more Doritos due to our terrible depression.

Nice try Doritos

Obviously,they're lying.It's not like somebody from Doritos is gonna come up and say "Sex or Games?" to a woman and they'd answer "Sex",unless they're those OPENLY EXTREMELLY SLUTTY ones.

If 70% enjoy sex and 84% enjoy gaming... well, they're kind of unrelated. It could be that the 70% would choose sex of gaming, meaning only 14% of women would choose gaming over sex.

Also, I. Hate. Video. Captcha.

Well, my penis is feeling mighty insulted right now. Well guess what ladies? I prefer video games to your bodies, too!

...oh, who am I kidding?

Well, if it's sex with gamers, than I am not surprised.

And how many enjoy sex and video games at the same time?

Earnest Cavalli:

Hey stud, Mario is giving your lady more pleasure than you are. Doritos says so.

Like a nacho cheese-flavored Richard Dawson, Doritos recently polled 2,052 people and discovered that the ladies apparently prefer game time over sexy time.

MCV reports:

The survey of 2,052 people was commissioned by Doritos and found that 49 per cent of women play online games, almost matching the 50 per cent of men that game online.

Of these female online gamers, 84 per cent said they enjoy their gaming sessions, compared to just 70 per cent who enjoy sex. 62 per cent enjoy working out, 71 per cent enjoy shopping and 75 per cent enjoy having a bath.

Additionally, the survey found that of the average 3.5 hours the participants spent online each week, those of the feminine persuausion dedicated 23.1 percent of their time to interactive gaming, while the burly male types found themselves gaming only 22.3 percent of the time.

Alright, look, I'm going to level with you guys: Even forgetting that this survey was conducted by a company most famous for clogging keyboards worldwide with greasy orange dust, this entire thing is meaningless.

84 percent of women enjoy gaming, while only 70 percent enjoy sex? I don't see a correlation between the two data points. I see an entertainment industry segment designed to be, at best, wildly entertaining (and at worst, completely inoffensive) succeeding at its goal, while the act of male/female coitus is exactly as awkward, baffling and confusingly unerotic as it has been since Adam first asked Eve if she wanted to see his "snake."

Of course, a headline like "games are rad, sex is pretty confusing for most people" wouldn't do much for the Doritos PR wonks, so the company explicitly focused on the most salacious data point it could find.

Remember kids: Sex sells, but questioning the virility of your stupid male audience will have you swimming through a Scrooge McDuckian money vault by the end of the week.

Source: MCV

I suspect that these numbers come from a relatively high percentage of the polled gamers who enjoy games but aren't having sex or are virgins. You can't enjoy what you aren't having. That would reduce the percentage.

JochemDude:
There are more than enough games to be played in the bedroom.

like oblivion, mount and blade warband, terraria, minecraft etc.
oh wait not those kinds of games? so confusing considering ive got my pc in my bedroom

mad825:
One wonders why they were investigating this...Even if it's a bluff, why? Just why?

If someone says "You're shit at sex and I can prove it" aren't you going to pay attention? Doesn't make me want to buy doritos though.

I now fancy Doritos.

That is probably the most meaningful impact this "survey" will ever have.

I have done my own survey, and the results are thus:

It is believed that anyone paying attention to a Doritos survey is 86% more likely to be mentally deficient over the other 14% who think it's a good idea... and believable.

I like mine better. :p

Two thousand? That's actually a relatively small sample size, to tell you the truth. I wonder if they were going into this experiment with the mindset of finding gamer girls exclusively to ask them that question. Either way, it does seem a bit... I dunno. Prejudiced, probably.

I would just like to point out that the tag line for this article

is the best I've ever seen on this website. Hilarious! :-)

CRRPGMykael:
Obviously,they're lying.It's not like somebody from Doritos is gonna come up and say "Sex or Games?" to a woman and they'd answer "Sex",unless they're those OPENLY EXTREMELLY SLUTTY ones.

By the looks of it they didn't do a comparison. They asked about both individual subjects "do you do that, and if yes: do you enjoy it?". And guess what: the people who choose to play games do so because they enjoy it.

This headline is completely misleading. Women don't prefer games over sex, I see no one making that claim. What it does claim is that women enjoy games more often than they enjoy sex. The two aren't even being compared to each other.

viranimus:
Who peer reviewed it? Chester Cheetah?

Oh god, I should not have laughed at that HAHA!

LTK_70:
This headline is completely misleading. Women don't prefer games over sex, I see no one making that claim. What it does claim is that women enjoy games more often than they enjoy sex. The two aren't even being compared to each other.

But...but... it does mean that among women gaming has a higher satisfaction rate than sex. Or should I say climax rate?

I'd like to point something out here:

Women are basically expected to have sex. Poll girls over ~20, and you'll probably get that 99% of them have sex. That's compared to less than 50% who game.
Now, the report is a bit vague, but it seems that that 49% of online gaming girls are more likely to prefer gaming than they do sex, with a 14% difference between the demographic's preference for the two.

But is that really such a surprise? I'd say no. If a woman likes online games, she'll play them. If she doesn't like them, she'll likely not play them, which explains why the report seems to paint girls as loving games and hating sex. It's how they "enjoy" it, and I wouldn't be surprised if 70% of women are unsatisfied by their sex lives. But sex is a primal human instinct so pretty much all adult women will have experience with it, while women automatically exclude themselves from the demographic that the preferences are expressing when they don't enjoy online games and decide to just not play them.

Analyze the data before you start making excuses, muchachos.

Earnest Cavalli:

Faulty survey is faulty. It didn't ask the women to compare which they like better.

If I'd taken that survey, I would have voted that I enjoyed both my Game time and my Sex time (and my shopping time - also, working out time doesn't count since I usually play video games while I'm on the exercise bike).

However, if the survey asked me which I liked MORE, I'd have voted Sex. Most women having enjoyable sex would vote the same, I'd guess.

You know what this survey says to me?

Only 70% of women are getting GOOD sex. Actually, that sounds like a really high number. Maybe 70% of women are having satisfactory sex?

The survey also doesn't take virgins into account (or asexuals). If you've never had sex, how can you rate your sex life?

There are too many holes to make your conclusion from this very incomplete survey, OP.

Kargathia:

LTK_70:

But...but... it does mean that statistically gaming has a higher satisfaction rate than sex.

It does, which makes sense considering a team of game developers worked really hard to make a game that delivers a satisfying experience, on which millions of dollars hang in the balance. Sex isn't quite as likely to succeed in that regard.

LTK_70:

It does, which makes sense considering a team of game developers worked really hard to make a game that delivers a satisfying experience, on which millions of dollars hang in the balance. Sex isn't quite as likely to succeed in that regard.

So kids, just remember next time you're having sex: even in the bedroom Blizzard can do better than you.

I think that 70% number might just have gone down a bit when they do this survey again next year.

Earnest Cavalli:

I would just like to say, that I am hereby adding the word "McDuckian" to my vocabulary. Epic coinage. I'm going to petition for it to appear on the SAT's now.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here