BioWare Unveils New Muscle-Bound Mass Effect 3 Character

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

BioWare Unveils New Muscle-Bound Mass Effect 3 Character

The newest addition to the Normandy crew knows how to fight, but that's about it.

To celebrate reaching 10,000 followers on Twitter, BioWare's Casey Hudson shared a picture of a new character that will be joining Shepard's crew in Mass Effect 3, James Vega.

Vega is apparently intended to represent someone new to the story. While he is a seasoned soldier, he lacks the knowledge of galactic politics and the criminal underworld that Shepard and the rest of the crew of the Normandy possess. Vega was originally called James Sanders, but obviously BioWare has since changed that.

Fan reaction to the image has been rather mixed, with some saying that Vega would look more at home on the Jersey Shore than fighting the Reapers in space. At least one suggested that he was a subtle dig at games like Gears of War and their fans. Others are taking a more cautious tack, saying that judging the character based on a single picture is a mistake and that people should wait until they know more about him before they dismiss him outright.

On Twitter, Hudson said that he enjoyed seeing people's first impressions of Vega. He said that BioWare had fun with the ensemble cast in its games, adding that not every character was going to be a hit with every player.

Personally, I fall into the "wait and see" camp. Sure, Vega looks like a meathead, but by the sound of things, that's kind of the point - or at least part of it. He's supposed to have a much more simple understanding of the situation, and he's supposed to stand out from the rest of the Normandy crew because of it.

It will also be interesting to see if he's going to be one of the homosexual love interests in Mass Effect 3, or if that role belong to a different character, or indeed, characters.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: via Kotaku

I'm hoping they're going more for a cool guy persona instead of a Hoo-Rah persona. Because if the latter is the case, there really is no hope for Mass Effect 3.

As a way to grow character, the developers introduced a feature called "Roid Rage". The more roids he takes, the less stable he becomes.

If he's like Jayne from Firefly, then I'm all for it.

"It will also be interesting to see if he's going to be one of the homosexual love interests in Mass Effect 3"

Not bashin on gays, but I really hope this isn't the case.

RoseArch:
I'm hoping they're going more for a cool guy persona instead of a Hoo-Rah persona. Because if the latter is the case, there really is no hope for Mass Effect 3.

Am I reading this right: So if there's a character you don't like the whole game is ruined?

Anyway,

judging the character based on a single picture is a mistake and that people should wait until they know more about him before they dismiss him outright.

I'm taking this stance. This just goes to show how gaming community, especially RPG ones, are way too eager to jump the gun.

He looks like he walked into a room and forgot what he went in there for.

I can't really judge the character by one pic but I do really hate his shirt.

The first thing I pictured in my head when I saw this picture, was him giving a solid metal Geth a headbutt. Instantly disabling it, and giving him a confused look why it hurt so much.

I think he might give a fresh contrast to the crew. Like a orc at a Blood elf meeting.

Just remember, unlike-able characters can still be good characters from a narrative point a view.
Just because people don't like him, doesn't mean he can't be well written or have a solid personality. Even if it's slightly orange and hangs out at the beach waaaay too much.

My initial reactions is: I don't like it, looks like a guy waaaay too dumb to be useful to me.

But I don't know enough about him. It wouldn't surprise me if they used him as a contrast to the now-seasoned Shepard towards the end; have him be your window into your actions from the view of someone that isn't biased by the things you've seen and done. He can work as a conduit for storytelling...but I must say that as a character I'm leaning more towards caution than excitement at this point.

Looks like this guy suffered a few too many slabs of concrete to the face.

The Krogan chicks must love 'm.

Oh my God, Soap trimmed his Mohawk!

Hm.

Sorry Bioware. He could be the most awesome character in the history of storytelling, but in my playthrough he's going to spend the whole game making coffee aboard the Normandy.

I can only take two people with me, and we already know that Liara, Garrus and Tali are coming back, plus whoever else makes a return. With all the beloved old faces to choose from there just isn't room for... whoever that guy is.

Still lookin' forward to the game!

What a fucking douchebag. That said, the character could be great from a comic relief angle.

Oh no. They added a meathead, jock character that doesn't fulfill my nerd wish fantasies for the game. How awful. Clearly introducing a wide variety of personalities and character archetypes is something that Bioware obviously shouldn't be doing.

Why do we need another human crew member? I want to see a Hanar floating around the Normandy.

Atleast he won't be in the middle of some calibrations.

Seeing as how I haven't played ME1 or 2 yet, I can't really comment...

Don't hate me... I missed the sale on Steam 'cause I was on a plane. I was majorly bummed when I found out. *Sadface*

Uh.... I've got a feeling I'm not going to show this guy the outside of the Normandy much. I'm incredibly wary by what they mean by "Perspective of the new player", granted that probably means he's just going to be asking questions about everything that was established in the first two games. But seriously I'm hearing nothing about him that will convince me to give up a space in my Garrus, Tali, Shepard power trio.

And I probably never will, Why? Because he's a human, and when your comparing a in Mass Effect human to Space Batman and the Space Gypsy, they just don't measure up.

I guess Jacob has now rival in the (un)popularity contest.

Yay a gray faceless soldier, it's just the thing we were always missing in games!

I cannot stand that jerk's face. I don't know why, but there's something incredibly irritating about that nose and freakishly out of line shoulder of his.
Surely I'm not the only one who spotted him?

If he's in ME3, he'd better watch his back. Because my Shepard will take the first Renegade Interrupt that comes available.

I want that guy in Old Ben to be a character, not this turd.

Slab Bulkhead, Fridge Largemeat, Punt Speedchunk, Butch Deadlift, Bold Bigflank, Splint Chesthair, Flint Ironstag, Bolt Vanderhuge, Thick McRunfast, We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese.
Buff Drinklots, Trunk Slamchest. Fist Rockbone, Stump Beefknob, Smash Lampjaw, Punch Rockgroin, Buck Plankchest, Stump Chunkman, Dirk Hardpec, Rip Steakface, Slate Slabrock, Crud Bonemeal, Brick Hardmeat, Whip Slagcheek, Punch Side-iron, Gristle McThornbody, Slate Fistcrunch, Buff Hardback, Bob Johnson (no, wait...).
Blast Thickneck, Crunch Buttsteak, Slab Squatthrust, Lump Beefbroth, Touch Rustrod, Reef Blastbody, Big McLargehuge, Smoke Manmuscle, Beat Punchbeef, Hack Blowfist, Roll Fizzlebeef.

Sorry couldn't help myself, first thing I thought of when looking at this character. And you know if he's just some well meaning lunkhead, I'm fine with that.

Please don't let this guy be a dig at DADT -_- PLEASE!

I hope he's not the British guy - I'm hoping the British guy is fucking cool and suave.
I'm assuming there's a British guy in it, due to the British voice over in the trailers...and, if I remember correctly, that guy in Big Ben on one of the early trailers...that's not him, is it?

There are exactly 0 people I know in London with that surname, so I very much doubt it.

KaosuHamoni:
Seeing as how I haven't played ME1 or 2 yet, I can't really comment...

Don't hate me... I missed the sale on Steam 'cause I was on a plane. I was majorly bummed when I found out. *Sadface*

It's alright! A friend of mine has only as of last week after two weeks of playing both ME 1 & 2 solid completed them. He then stated the wait for the 3rd seems a long time I sated "But since you've only begun playing the recently you didn't have to wait for the 2nd" . Plenty of time to join the Mass's X D

I'll be he will bring the Male Shepard much manloving and bromantic trips...

Also he looks like and idea and Soap from MW2....so if he is homosexual it will be 6x more worth to have him around and snicker every time he takes...

SOAP...!
Dont drop it..
-crew snickers-

SOAP!!!! Get to the chopper!!!!

I mean... come on... what is it with that half arsed mohawk <.<

*edit* servers me right for not reading all the posts. Damn you above poster *shakes fist*

If nothing else, I"m not sure how this man holds down on a job considering that he must go to the gym once a day, if not more. But seriously, maybe steroids are in fact mandatory in the future. There's no reason to discourage them in wartime right? But for actual serious, he looks like he has deep emotional issues that I hope to work out with him. Hopefully that will be possible, every one deserves at least a first chance right? The dislike of him almost kinda reminds me of when MGS4 came out and every one hated on Snake having an extremely tight butt despite the fact that the rest of him looked like many peoples Grandpa's. Don't ask me why.
*EDIT* Revoke any previous chance I was going to give him, just noticed the tribal tattoo on his arm & neck. For shame. I would have thought(hoped) those would be outlawed in the future.

Well, let the complaining begin.

Surely a guy who looks like a jock can never be an interesting character. That would be preposterous.

He's probably gonna be better than Jacob Taylor, at the very least.

I love how people have already come up with a story on a character by looking at one picture. Talk about judgeing a book by it's cover :p

I mean looking at Mass Effect 3 which is suppose to be an all out fight for Earth and The Alliance, it would make since to have a all out Earth Alliance soilder on the team. But I am also adopting the Wait and See policy on this guy. Who's to say he was a peacful guy until his family was killed (A sorta nod to the "Colonist" story Arc of the Shepard creation screen) and now he joined up to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Just saying it could happen story wise.

Makes a lot of sense to have a character that doesn't know what the hell is going on in terms of galactic politics - half the stuff Shepherd's done no one would know about anyway.

I think I trust Bioware to do a little more than make a boring meat head, I'm sure he'll be an interesting character once he's fleshed out.

Captainguy42:
I'm incredibly wary by what they mean by "Perspective of the new player", granted that probably means he's just going to be asking questions about everything that was established in the first two games.

Yeah, probably he is just there to accomodate new players who purchased the "best entry point to the Mass Effect series" and didn't play the first two.

JWRosser:
I hope he's not the British guy - I'm hoping the British guy is fucking cool and suave.
I'm assuming there's a British guy in it, due to the British voice over in the trailers...and, if I remember correctly, that guy in Big Ben on one of the early trailers...that's not him, is it?

I think that was just "some dude", honestly.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here