Kotick Fingers DJ Hero for Guitar Hero's Demise

Pages PREV 1 2

So, he's throwing DJ Hero under the bus for this?

I didn't think DJ Hero was that bad and I don't see how it had anything to do with how poor Guitar Hero was doing. And it was trying way too hard to be Rock Band, GH: World Tour was ridiculous.

I have no idea what Kotick is talking about.

What I think happened was that everyone liked it for a while, but then the people who stopped liking it stopped playing it, and the people who REALLY liked it realized how much cooler it would be if they actually got a guitar.

-|-:
He might be full of shit in a general sense, but most people are still actually agreeing with him here.

I've seen CNN and Msnbc and Fox News use that 'Some people say' statement also. You know Yahtzee also blankly blamed DJ Hero too, hmmmm.

Being a DJ isn't that friggin easy anyways.

Goddamn... hip-hop culture can't catch a fucking break for nothing.

That's all right... one day in this lifetime or this next, I'm gonna make my very own fighting game, replete with hip-hop inspired designs abound, from music to character illustrations.

And it will be glorious.

Andy Chalk:

The problem, he explained, and which he admitted the company probably could have figured out fairly easily if anybody had bothered to stop and think about it for a minute,

See? Even the people at Activision are admitting that they don't think much.

And as much time as Kotick spends fingering his bum I'm surprised he had any time to finger anything else.

That's a horrible article title, escapist

No Bobby you need to learn about the Goose That Laid The Golden Egg...

A COTTAGER and his wife had a Hen that laid a golden egg every day. They supposed that the Hen must contain a great lump of gold in its inside, and in order to get the gold they killed it. Having done so, they found to their surprise that the Hen differed in no respect from their other hens. The foolish pair, thus hoping to become rich all at once, deprived themselves of the gain of which they were assured day by day.

^--- Right here is what the basic story of Guitar Hero...

Also... MaddenStamping (every year = same shit different number)

I would like MaddenStamp to became an offical word

Remind me who continued to push DJ Hero ages after the rest of the world decided who didn't want it?

That's right, Activision. The prosecution rests.

SageRuffin:

That's all right... one day in this lifetime or this next, I'm gonna make my very own fighting game, replete with hip-hop inspired designs abound, from music to character illustrations.

And it will be glorious.

You mean you don't like all of those Half Dolla (or whatever his name is) games? Fairly sure he had a fighting game, or was in one at least. Apparently that is all you are allowed, everything else has to be Call of Duty.

so they are doing it all over again except they're not? wtf kotick aside from being a complete dick is a total idiot.

captcha: half inch

SageRuffin:

And it will be glorious.

so you want to make a def jam game?

The problem, he explained, and which he admitted the company probably could have figured out fairly easily if anybody had bothered to stop and think about it for a minute, is that it's relatively easy to unleash your inner DJ in the real world[...]

This is so much bullshit. DJing is seriously difficult. It takes about 4-6 months of pure practice to learn beatmatching, a skill which is (for the most part) essential. After that, you can start thinking about programming, how to read a crowd, FX and whatnot.

So yeah, Kotick doesn't know what he's talking about, but that's hardly news.

Kotick Fingers DJ Hero

Pfftttt....fnarr fnarr...everything I suspected.

Arachon:

The problem, he explained, and which he admitted the company probably could have figured out fairly easily if anybody had bothered to stop and think about it for a minute, is that it's relatively easy to unleash your inner DJ in the real world[...]

This is so much bullshit. DJing is seriously difficult. It takes about 4-6 months of pure practice to learn beatmatching, a skill which is (for the most part) essential. After that, you can start thinking about programming, how to read a crowd, FX and whatnot.

So yeah, Kotick doesn't know what he's talking about, but that's hardly news.

I think it means that it's relatively easy to find a device that can give you the sensation of being a DJ, not necessarily becoming a fully-fledged DJ doing live shows. To the same extent that it isn't difficult to tap in to your inner rock star when there are kids toys that let you turn air guitar into real noise. Both of which are cheaper and less hassle for most people than buying a console and a game that is almost the same price as the platform it is on.

This seems actually pretty insightful and reasonable on Kotick's part, especially considering the kind of quotes we often get from the bastard. I'm sure that being able to see what you did wrong and trying to fix it is a good thing for a game studio's CEO.

Don't get me wrong, it's not enough to get me to buy Activision games again, but still.

In all fairness, this was to Forbes Magazine, they wouldn't know the video game industry from a hole in their ass. He can lie his ass off to them and they just sit there an agree because they don't really know anything besides what they are told, which the parrot back to rest of the world.

But, market saturation is the most most obvious culprit, I actually lost track of the Guitar Hero games, and the Rockband games. I now I played them, but which ones and when and which tracks is a complete mystery. They were so completely unextraordinary beyond their inception, just like most of the bands they put on them.

DJ Hero was DOOOOOOMMMMMMEEEEEDDDD from the beginning. No one wanted yet another musical rhythm and timing game, that much was obvious. But, as with all massive mega corporations, they are completely out of touch with their customer base, it's literally impossible for them predict success or failure at this point.

Outlaw Torn:
You mean you don't like all of those Half Dolla (or whatever his name is) games? Fairly sure he had a fighting game, or was in one at least. Apparently that is all you are allowed, everything else has to be Call of Duty.

That's one way to say his name, sure. :P

But those aren't games. Their yet another glorified look into his exaggerated life. While I admit he's an okay rapper (but a garbage lyricist), I refuse to give him the pleasure of another sale.

LT Cannibal 68:
so you want to make a def jam game?

Uh, no. Def Jam games aside (where the only really good one was Vendetta) as that's another can of worms in and of itself, I mean for it to half a hip-hop inspired soundtrack a la Madworld (or Samurai Champloo... hell, or Jet Set Radio Future, which you're most familiar with), and character designs not rife with traditional "martial arts" garb, but with obvious nods to "urban culture" or whatever the politically correct term is these days.

Unless it involves skinny jeans and tacky haircuts. Fuck all that.

---

But seriously, I find it interesting that a lot of people wanna say that "no one wanted to unleash their inner DJ". Do you know how long "hip-hop heads" like myself have waited for something like this? Sure, the soundtrack left a bit to be desired, but at the least the game was fun, and it even gave a few people some insight at how DJ-ing actually works.

But now there's a more than a few people up in arms saying that DJ Hero was the main catalyst in GH's self destruction, never mind that the series has been going downhill ever since 3 (one of the few times Yahtzee was completely right about something). Them trying - and failing - to compete with the Rock Band series only led to their demise faster. And the worse part? Everyone fucking called it, and not once have I ever seen DJ Hero be part of that equation.

Kotick just needs something to blame because he doesn't wanna admit that he fucked up. Keep in mind this guy said he would charge people for fucking cutscenes if he could.

SupahGamuh:

Ryan_26:
So he's basically saying that DJ Hero Killed Guitar Hero. I call BS. As someone just said the reason DJ failed is because no one wanted to pay 160 for a game and a plastic turntable. It was overpriced from day one hell the original GH was only $80 plus tax.

I agree with Paranoid, Kotick should give COD while he's at it. He may not want to see it but there are people out there that realizes it's same game over with very little new. You could say that about GH too but it was the songs that made the games.

Intelligent people says it's dead, the other 12 million people who buys it every year are saying otherwise.

Y'mean like this guy?^

OT:Bobby Kodip(shit) doesn't realize that DJ Hero didn't kill the Guitar Hero franchise,it was his dumbass method of releasing the same game every year with barely anything changed. That is also why I think Bobby Mudkip should just resign already and give the reigns to someone with a goddamn brain that doesn't run on money and laziness.

Kotick fingers DJ Hero. I'm totally taking this out of context!

MorsePacific:
I could've sworn critics loved DJ Hero and loved DJ Hero 2 even more. Sounds like he's spouting some bull to make it seem like Guitar Hero is still a popular title.

There are a lot of critically acclaimed things that never sold that well, and it sounds like the DJ Hero series was part of it. I think I'll pick up 2 because it's so cheap.

So it had nothing to do with the basic theories of supply and demand and by having too much supply of a game series you hence devalue the demand for it thereby eliminating your customer base? Cause releasing 6 "hero" games in one year probably is what did it (Metallica, Van Halen, Band Hero, DJ hero, GH5, Smash Hits).

DJ Hero was a better game than any of the Guitar Hero games, even though I'm more into the music featured in GH than in DJH. Seriously, Kotick has to do a reality check. It wasn't DJH that killed GH but the fact that they pushed one GH game every year for some time. And if they did have DJH in the makings during that time, they should have waited before releasing another GH game. Besides, the two game series had different companies making them so I don't really get how making DJH would affect making GH.

Sounds like Kotick doesn't want to admit they tried to cash-in with GH.

Is that what killed it? And here i thought that it was because they released the same damn thing each time with a different skin and some new songs, not to mention the expensive plastic gadgets.

bull fucking shit. DJ hero was in no way responsible. lets think back to the fact that in the space of 3 years there where over 20 games released under the damn name.

DJ hero killed Guitar Hero? Really? So...playing as a DJ after the wonderful experience of actually being in a squeaky clonky plastic band is really where it went wrong? Oh, wait...no, that's not right...it was...something to do with...A series of really great games that was run into the ground by the fourth installment (ironically called Guitar Hero 3), given a slight health boost by the amazing addition of drums, and maybe a microphone, but then run back into the ground as soon as it gathered a single breath, much as one might torture someone for information by holding their head under the water, pulling it out, then immediately pushing it back down.

Yeah, DJ Hero killed it. But it had been dying for quite some time.

Andy Chalk:

According to Kotick the problem is that it's relatively easy to unleash your inner DJ in the real world, with a simple deck or a Mac, leaving the game with "a very small market."

I'd say the problem is more to do with Kotick not knowing what he's taking about. If he were to try and re-create a "mix" from DJ Hero, even on Normal, he'd realize what a buffoon he sounds. It doesn't matter whether you've got a Macbook Pro 17" with an Xone:4D, 2 ST150s and 2 CDJ 1000Mk3s with Serrato running through a DJM800, or any combination of the above a good scratch DJ would have to work at making those tracks. A good mixing DJ (think John Digweed) would have to re-train over months (remember - for a track on Normal). The average Joe? Not a chance in hell.

As many have said - perhaps flooding the market with countless rehashes of the same game was it's downfall. At least Fifa limits itself to one per year and, even then, EA (E f*cking A - the most mercenary company in gaming) included some significant gameplay and graphical improvements in the last few years!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here