Chainsaw Cheerleader Fights Zombies In Grasshopper's Latest

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Chainsaw Cheerleader Fights Zombies In Grasshopper's Latest

Grasshopper Manufacture's newly-revealed Lollipop Chainsaw is equal parts Dead Rising, No More Heroes and Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

You may know Grasshopper Manufacture as the Japanese game development firm head by Goichi "Suda51" Suda. The company has been creating games since 1999, and though it has never had a real blockbuster hit, the firm's quirky, satirical, hyper-violent games often attract a devoted cult audience. No More Heroes, Killer7 and the recent Shadows of the Damned are beloved, even if they didn't exactly ignite the sales charts.

Continuing this trend of developing games blatantly aimed at appealing to members of my generation, Grasshopper has unveiled Lollipop Chainsaw.

Not much is known of the game so far, though Famitsu has a few important data points. The basics are all covered -- the Suda51-designed game is in development for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, with a release date still up in the air -- but otherwise the information included in the Famitsu piece is bizarrely specific.

Courtesy Andriasang:

Other questions answered:

1. Zombies first appear in Juliet's school on her 18th birthday. Don't worry -- it's totally okay to take a peek!

2. Juliet is a cheerleader at her school.

3. Juliet's school, San Romero Highschool, is located on the West Coast (that would be of America, I believe) and is the largest school in the region.

4. Juliet's chainsaw is full of pink because pink is her favorite color.

5. By reaching certain conditions you can make Juliet's chainsaw power up, gaining new skills.)

As you probably gathered, Juliet would be the game's protagonist. She's a cheerleader tasked with slaying zombie hordes and has thus ditched her pom-poms in favor of a chainsaw. Honestly, it's pretty standard stuff for Suda51.

Alongside the above details, Famitsu also has a host of screenshots from the game. Those of you incapable of speaking Japanese can attempt to blindly navigate the Famitsu site, or simply click through to Andriasang to see the images wrapped in a comforting shroud of English text.

Unfortunately for those of you suddenly interested in this game, we have no confirmation that it will be leaving Japan. Games centered on zombies have traditionally been a solid fiscal investment for publishers here in the States, but Grasshopper's titles have been hit or miss, financially speaking.

Still, I've got my fingers crossed that Lollipop Chainsaw can jump the Pacific. Suda51's hyperactive storytelling and game design elements combined with zombie-heavy survival horror, starring a cute-as-a-button cheerleader with a propensity for overkill in the form of a gas-powered chainsaw? That's a premise that I can totally get behind.

Source: Andriasang

That sounds awesome and so going to get problems / banned in some countries for a high school-er showing their underwear (as shown in the screen shots linked).

Edit: should read the article better, they have covered themselves with the age this time around. So will only be a problem in countries that say, if the impression given is of under 18 due to clothing, looks etc. Japan is learning...

Suda51 knows just how to make me fork over more money doesn't he?

Another slight glimpse in the strange world thats called Suda51 well god speed you dangerously insane human being.

It looks interesting, but really odd(which is basically what Suda 51 is really known for). I'm also kind of curious about the severed head on her belt.

Ha only Suda 51 would come up something random like that! I hope this will be a good game.

For some reason I find the premise of this game incredibly amusing and I don't quite know why.

It's like my dreams are being published by Grasshopper Manufacture. I hope it comes out in the Fall, sounds exactly like the perfect substitute to more horror films.

Suda51:Pumping Your Games With Drugs Since 1999

Yeah,if this comes to America,I'm probably going to buy it,just from the concept alone!

When the men in white coats show up, it will be a sad day indeed.

I expect nothing less from those crazy bastards at Suda51. I hope it comes here, I just want to play it on premise alone since it seems they are the very few developers who make games that crazy.

Sounds OK. When I read all the things about Juliet and her chainsaw I thought I might have been reading an idea for a fan fiction character.

Bad Girl's little sister looks like she's gonna be fun to play as. :P

So...I'm going to guess that head next to Juliet is to her as Johnson is to Garcia?

...SOLD!
so am I the only one that thinks she looks like bad girl from no more heroes?

Dear Suda51.

EVERY LAST DOLLER OF IT

I am marking this game as a game to buy :3

Well, I hope this makes it to Europe because

and they didn't have trouble getting here before.

also,

Golem239:
so am I the only one that thinks she looks like bad girl from no more heroes?

you make a weirdly valid point.

Isn't there a chance that Japan might ban this? I know that new law about having no more children depicted committing mature acts (of action scenarios and adult themes) only covers anime but I wouldn't be surprised if they stretch it to cover games as well.

However, I do believe it has a god chance of going to the states. Americans love zombies. There is even a holiday where people dress up as zombies and shuffle up and down the streets to advocate for undead rights. That is what they're marching/shuffling for, right?

Earnest Cavalli:
cute-as-a-button cheerleader

Definitely not what I would call cute-as-a-button.

Sexy? Sure. Sluttish? Probably. Cute? Not so much. Cute-as-a-button? Not at all.

The "button" refers to this:
The button quail. A small, fluffy and adorable bird.

It's used to refer to things like babies that are also small, possibly fluffy and adorable.

And sorry for nitpicking, just little things that annoy me :P.

Kind of an unoriginal concept for this dev (not as unoriginal as SotD, but come on). Still, if they can get the gameplay to flow smoothly without getting repetitive, I'm in. To be honest, I'm in anyway. I'll even import it if it doesn't get a localization (which it obviously will). This sounds fun.

Sometimes I really wish we could get a female protagonist without getting beaten over the head with fanservice. At the same time, though, I would be a goddamned liar if I said I didn't enjoy that stuff.

For balance, I will also point out that Suda51 is a sexy, sexy man.

if it was anyone besides Suda51 i would probably have no interest in this game. Isn't this basically onechanbara?

Hagi:

Earnest Cavalli:
cute-as-a-button cheerleader

Definitely not what I would call cute-as-a-button.

Sexy? Sure. Sluttish? Probably. Cute? Not so much. Cute-as-a-button? Not at all.

The "button" refers to this:
The button quail. A small, fluffy and adorable bird.

It's used to refer to things like babies that are also small, possibly fluffy and adorable.

And sorry for nitpicking, just little things that annoy me :P.

That's one slutty quail. Phwoar!

Back to the matter at hand (no pun). A quick translation:

1. Zombies first appear in Juliet's school on her 18th birthday. Don't worry -- it's totally okay to take a peek!

Translation: There will be upskirt panty shots in the game.

2. Juliet is a cheerleader at her school.

Translation: There will be frequent upskirt panty shots in the game.

3. Juliet's school, San Romero Highschool, is located on the West Coast (that would be of America, I believe) and is the largest school in the region.

Translation: There will be a variety of skirts to look up, panty abundance is guaranteed.

4. Juliet's chainsaw is full of pink because pink is her favorite color.

Translation: Juliet will have pink panties as standard. Possible DLC or unlockable panty styles.

5. By reaching certain conditions you can make Juliet's chainsaw power up, gaining new skills.)

Translation: Look at panties, and your abilities will grow. High probability of panty based innuendo.

Suda51's design philosophy for this gen seems to be 'come up with the most stupid generic concept you can come up with, then make it more and more stupid until it wraps around and becomes awesome'.

ah Suda, don't ever change

Looks clichéd. but fun as hell. Count me interested.

If it wasn't Suda51 using this concept my mind would have been blown.

Fiz_The_Toaster:
I expect nothing less from those crazy bastards at Suda51. I hope it comes here, I just want to play it on premise alone since it seems they are the very few developers who make games that crazy.

Suda51 is a dude, not a company. Goichi Suda. It's a play on his name...'Go' means five and 'Ichi' means one in Japanese, but they put the surname first. So...Suda51. The developer is Grasshopper Manufacture. To be fair, Suda51 is a crazy bastard.

I hope this game goes State-side as well...I would play the shit out of it. I WILL NEVER GET TIRED OF ZOMBIES. NEVER.

Veldie:
Dear Suda51.

Just take it already! I hope this will be a less drab afair than that Shadows of the Dammed was by Suda standards.

PANTY SHOT!

Looks like Dead or Alive with zombies.

Seems pretty standard stuff. Come on Suda51, you can be weirder than that...

I wonder what's up with the dude's head hanging off her hip - her boyfriend perhaps? Cuz a cheerleader is nothing without a dreamy boyfriend.

Suda 51 is obviously the cosmic love child of Cthulhu and a mental hospitable patient

I love how the word "standard" can be used for something that Suda51 has done. That means that a game about a chainsaw-wielding cheerleader going against the zombie hordes is somehow "normal" to someone.

I'll buy pretty much anything that involves Suda51, this doesn't look like breaking the trend. Bless him and his unconventional mind.

Reminds me of Bikini Zombie Slayers...with cheerleaders. And chainsaws. And Suda51 telling me it's okay to peek at the upskirt shots of a cheerleader killing zombies with a chainsaw in NMH graphics, because she is of legal age.

I feel mildly dirty that I'm the target demographic, and that I'm that predictable. Then really dirty because I looked at those pictures, and did exactly as Suda51 told me. Then less dirty because I realized that all of the photos were optimized for upskirt.

Looks like a companion piece to Shadows of the Damned.

Think about it:

- Sexy protagonist fighting hundreds of undead creatures

- Disembodied head accompanying the protagonist

- Emphasis on the "lower quarters", if you know what I mean

- Akira Yamaoka is back again

Am I the only one seeing this?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username: