BioWare: Mass Effect 3 Is the Best Game We've Ever Made

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

The latest installment of the Mass Effect series has taken inspiration from some of the best games of recent years.

Anything Mass Effect 2 could do, Mass Effect 3 can do, too, and better besides. That's the word from BioWare, which says that not only will the action be more impressive in ME3, but the RPG elements will be much deeper as well. In fact, BioWare's marketing director, David Silverman, said that that Mass Effect 3 was the best game that the developer has ever made at its Edmonton office.

He said that the game struck a balance between the action - which BioWare wants to be on a par with the best action games around - and the RPG side, which he admitted could have been deeper in Mass Effect 2. Silverman said that BioWare hadn't wanted to go so far down the RPG route that Shepard started breaking out his dice, but at the same time wanted to give players the chance to really customize their characters. "We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too," said Silverman. "What they like about Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty and lots of RPG games, too ... We've looked at all these games to see what's resonating and what's not."

Getting the perfect balance between RPG and action is no mean feat. The first Mass Effect arguably had far too many numbers to crunch thanks to the staggering number of inventory options, while the second arguably had too few, with skills cut down to the barest of essentials and inventory management all but gone. It wouldn't surprise me if the game took a similar route to Dragon age 2, and presented the player with all kinds of options, while leaving NPCs equipment fairly constant throughout the game, with upgrades to be found scattered across the galaxy.

Of course, no matter what else happens, Mass Effect 3 will almost certainly be a good game. If BioWare does manage to get the balance just about right though, it might skip the "good" stage entirely and go straight to "great," or perhaps even "darn near perfect."

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: CVG

I could have sworn they said the same thing for Mass Effect 2 and... well, that did turn out pretty good. I guess my hopes should be high.

BioWare. Why would you say this? Now if the game doesn't manage to surpass every single game you have made (Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, the other ME games), your fans will inevitably be disappointed and call you out on it. Though come to think of it, they'll be bitchy and disappointed anyway, won't they?

Logan Westbrook:

He said that the game struck a balance between the action - which BioWare wants to be on a par with the best action games around - and the RPG side, which he admitted could have been deep in Mass Effect 2. Silverman said that BioWare hadn't wanted to go so far down the RPG route that Shepard started breaking out his dice, but at the same time wanted to give players the chance to really customize their characters. "We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too," said Silverman. "What they like about Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty and lots of RPG games, too ... We've looked at all these games to see what's resonating and what's not."

So Bioware have abandoned all pretense that they're RPG Developers? Great, now all we need is the fanboys to realize this and we can see some improvement.

Of course this is going on my experiences of Dragon Age.

Logan Westbrook:
In fact, BioWare's marketing director, David Silverman, said that that Mass Effect 3 was the best game that the developer has ever made at its Edmonton office.

Ah, ye old Escapist titles of trickery.

OT: One can see how there's the potential to combine the best of both ME games and make a 'perfect' game, but for me personally this game's reputation hangs on whether it handles the conclusion of the Reaper storyline with some finesse or just descends into cheesy space opera padded out by pathos.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Of course I have faith in BioWare to make another great installment to this series. Things have been looking good so far, with the gameplay trailers and interviews.

But.

Logan Westbrook:
"What they like about Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty and lots of RPG games, too ... We've looked at all these games to see what's resonating and what's not."

I swear to poop if I get a whiff of mainstream-ification, I will go postal.

AlternatePFG:
BioWare. Why would you say this? Now if the game doesn't manage to surpass every single game you have made (Baldur's Gate, KOTOR, the other ME games), your fans will inevitably be disappointed and call you out on it. Though come to think of it, they'll be bitchy and disappointed anyway, won't they?

This as well.

Regardless of hype, I want this game so much I may just maintain the fetal position until it comes out.

Not sure if it can be their best ever game, but we'll see, we'll see

I replayed KOTOR recently and topping that seems too good to be true.

Craazhy:
Of course I have faith in BioWare to make another great installment to this series. Things have been looking good so far, with the gameplay trailers and interviews.

But.

Mainstream-ification? Both games in the ME series are mainstream as shit.

Logan Westbrook:
which he admitted could have been deep in Mass Effect 2.

The first Mass Effect arguably had far too much numbers to crunch

While I hate to be a pedant (alright, if I'm honest, I actually love it, but still), these are bugging me.

I believe them. DA2 sure as hell wasn't the best game they've made, after all.

Yeah? Well we'll all see when it's out and judge that for ourselves. I'm still not happy that ME3 is moving more to the shooter side of gameplay and not the RPG side.

Oh, BioWare, you're silly.
You can't make me want to buy ME3 anymore than I do. It's like advertising air - I will breathe it anyway.

JourneyThroughHell:

I replayed KOTOR recently and topping that seems too good to be true.

Craazhy:

But.

Mainstream-ification? Both games in the ME series are mainstream as shit.

Okay, well while they're not NWN or Baldur's Gate, it's definitely not GoW or CoD.

I'd have more faith in them if they weren't delaying it for 4 months to "streamline" it for a wider audience, something which is impossible to do any further than ME2 did unless you completely remove all RPG elements and literally make it a 3rd person shooter with dialogue trees.

I remain optimistic dear BioWare but you are on my naughty list at the moment.

After playing the first two Mass Effect games, I highly doubt it. Unless of course they were to do an even better ripoff of Anachronox, then, it's got a shot. But face it, anything they do won't hold a candle to Baldur's Gate 2.

Well if they say it's good then it must be true...

Ya that's not how it works, will pick it up for sure but I need to see the real deal before I decide at what price tag to drop some cash.

Ninjamedic:

Logan Westbrook:

He said that the game struck a balance between the action - which BioWare wants to be on a par with the best action games around - and the RPG side, which he admitted could have been deep in Mass Effect 2. Silverman said that BioWare hadn't wanted to go so far down the RPG route that Shepard started breaking out his dice, but at the same time wanted to give players the chance to really customize their characters. "We've done a lot of research about what people liked about Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and other games too," said Silverman. "What they like about Gears of War, Assassin's Creed, Halo, Call of Duty and lots of RPG games, too ... We've looked at all these games to see what's resonating and what's not."

So Bioware have abandoned all pretense that they're RPG Developers? Great, now all we need is the fanboys to realize this and we can see some improvement.

Mass Effect was never intended to be a pure RPG to begin with. They've made it perfectly clear with Mass Effect 1 that they're making an RPG shooter. A real RPG shooter if I might add. I love both games, and I'm sure I'll love Mass Effect 3 as well. I see no way they can fail now. All they need to do is stick to what was good in previous games, remove or redefine what was bad, and add some other features fans requested.

Adzma:
I'd have more faith in them if they weren't delaying it for 4 months to "streamline" it for a wider audience, something which is impossible to do any further than ME2 did unless you completely remove all RPG elements and literally make it a 3rd person shooter with dialogue trees.

I remain optimistic dear BioWare but you are on my naughty list at the moment.

I think they're delaying it because Q4 of 2011 is full of competition. Battlefield 3 and Call of Duty MW3, Skyrim, Deus Ex 3, Assassin's Creed Revelations, Batman Arkham City etc. ME3 would sell well, of course, but it will sell even better if it's released a couple of months later.

I really believe ME3 will be a great game - probably even a "darn near perfect" one.

But what I really want to see is a publisher/developer standing up and saying - screw that PR drivel, our next game is going to suck. Because that would be actual, literal news. The Rovio guys came close to that recently, publicly admitting that they are unable to replicate Angry Birds' success anytime soon so they decided continue to milk that cash cow for the next years.

Well at least people can't say they only doing cover based shooting, however like all Mass effect games I'll hold my breath cos there is always something holding them back from greatness.

Ninjamedic:

Logan Westbrook:

Well they said that there making the RPG elements deeper soooooo yeh
Also theres no reason an RPG can't have action

In unrelated news, Silverman said that 'selling your soul feels terrible for a while... but the priiiiiize, man!"

Logan Westbrook:
The first Mass Effect arguably had far too many numbers to crunch thanks to the staggering number of inventory options

The problem was never too many options. It was always that the inventory system itself was cumbersome and made managing your items too much of a chore.

It's like they're afraid of just implementing a traditional inventory system, with items that can be (auto-)sorted by category and stacked by type. It has worked for pretty much every JRPG ever, it works for Dragon Age, it works for MMOs, but apparently Mass Effect is too good for it?

Captcha: deepest sympathy

Im sorry Bioware but you guys making this better then KOTOR is somthing I cant really see

Veldie:
Im sorry Bioware but you guys making this better then KOTOR is somthing I cant really see

I found KOTOR boring, bland, stale, and lacking. All I did in the game was run for miles, and spam hotkeys in combat. They took the real fun out of being a Jedi Knight. The party members were cliches, and the alien voice acting made me lmao (wookiee moaning ftw).

Mass Effect 3 will definitely be BioWare's best RPG to date. I'm fully expecting it to be superior to Baldur's Gate 2 in every aspect of the game, including story and gameplay.

If this were any other developer, I wouldn't believe this.

Im cautiously optimistic about this one, and by that i of course mean I'm gonna be maniacally counting down the days until my preorder arrives.

This just in: marketing guy tries to sell a game using all the marketing lingo he can think of. More at Five...

not that i dissagree, and not that i'm not looking forward to it but... that's not really saying much.

I'm still hoping for another game set in the Planescape universe. I love novelty, and developers could really build over Torment.

darthzew:
If this were any other developer, I wouldn't believe this.

What if Valve said it?

[sarcasm]
If it's the "best game BioWare ever made" in the same sense that "DA2 is better than DAO", I think I'll pass.
[/sarcasm]

I get the impression that he's talking mostly about moment-to-moment gameplay.

How the game would be if you just took out all the story and fought an endless stream of opponents.

Things like Batman: Arkham Asylum have amazing moment-to-moment gameplay, facing an endless stream of opponents in that game is great fun.

Games like KOTOR have, imho, absolutely horrid moment-to-moment gameplay. You've got 2-3 options per round that you spam over and over and over and over again. Facing an endless stream of enemies in that game without any story involved? Horrible!

So when it comes to moment-to-moment gameplay I don't mind them looking at CoD, Halo and GoW. As long as the deep overarching storyline remains and doesn't try to borrow elements from those series. As far as RPG systems go I'm personally a huge fan of the Fallout system, perks are just crazy fun!

Looking at what gamers want, in games that arent rpgs, that explains it. I wish they said more about what rpgs they looked at, they didnt mind listing shit like gears and CoD. This just reinforceces my view they are sellouts who are saying they make rpgs, just to hold on to fanboys while still trying to get the CoD gamers. Also its funny they mention assassins creed. Now I know where they got that bloody stupid blade from.

So it wouldnt supris me if the game was shit, removing customisation from my squad is bad, its fucking stupid and lazy. Not a sign of a good dev, sure I can customze shep but last I checked this wasnt a game where I fight alone.

But they wont get it right. Fanobys will still hail it as perfect, but I visit the biowre forum and am creeped out at times given some people on there, when you have people who go into detail about sex with aliens, its likely they will be so creepily obsessie the game will be perfect anyway. Just throw in the usual fanservice BW games have to be on the safe side.
No it wont be darn near perfect, mainly becuase it plays like gearws of war, which isnt a perfect shooter, never mind an rpg.

This guy wwas the awesome button guy from DA2 iirc, thats enough of a reason for me to ignore him.

Slow down there Bioware, you should let your consumers decide if its your best game.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here