BioWare Wants to Make Mass Effect 3 "Seamless"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

BioWare Wants to Make Mass Effect 3 "Seamless"

In order to make Mass Effect 3 as immersive as possible, BioWare has tweaked and tuned the game's engine.

The Mass Effect games have some pretty awe-inspiring cinematic moments, like the Reaper attack on the Citadel in the first game, or the destruction of the Normandy in the second. Mass Effect 3 isn't going to be any different, but BioWare says that it wants to make blur the lines between cinematic and gameplay, and make the whole game as seamless as possible.

BioWare's marketing director, David Silverman, said that having clearly defined action and conversation sections was detrimental to the game's feeling of immersion, and what BioWare wanted was for everything to feel more organic. The studio, he said, had taken advantage of recent updates to the Unreal Engine, as well as adding its own "special sauce" to the mix, so that there was a much less obvious delineation between the various parts of the game.

"The Mass Effect 3 engine's based on Unreal but we definitely have made some significant upgrades in terms of the cinematic system has been fully improved," he said. "[The] mechanics have been altered. We've done some things to make the sound pop a little bit more, [and] the graphics have obviously been improved."

A developer working towards making its game more immersive is always good news, but it's especially welcome in RPGs, where players tend to spend a lot longer exploring the world and its meeting its various peoples. This, combined with the deeper RPG elements that BioWare is re-introducing into the series, sounds like it could make for a pretty stellar game.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: CVG

*waits for the first to say that the vague information is them ruining mass effect*

God! Shut up about Mass Effect 3 already!

What is this, the third piece of Mass Effect 3 related news this week? It's not even news, they're just empty statements meant to remind us that it's coming and reassuring us that it's gonna be good (as if we could possibly forget that the sequel to one of the most praised and popular games of the last few years is less than half a year away). If this is going to keep up until the game is released, I'm gonna be sick of it before I've even played it.

Seamless you say? Would you say another word for making something 'seamless' is to 'streamline' the experience.

RPG purists will commence unbridled hatred in 3-2-1...

the irony is that this will require longer loading times.(I dunno, but that would be funny as all hell)

omgthiswillsoruintheseriesiwillneverbuyabiowaregameagainwtfomgomgomglolololol111111!!!!!11111

i just want to be able to walk around while having a conversation order sip on drink when in a bar (unless the barkeep is batarian). plz bioware? you can even add 50% more chest high walls if you do that and i will still be happy.

So they wanna make it like Metal Gear?

I just hope that 'blending' doesn't equate to quick time events.

Littaly:

What is this, the third piece of Mass Effect 3 related news this week? It's not even news, they're just empty statements meant to remind us that it's coming and reassuring us that it's gonna be good (as if we could possibly forget that the sequel to one of the most praised and popular games of the last few years is less than half a year away). If this is going to keep up until the game is released, I'm gonna be sick of it before I've even played it.

If you don't like it, don't read it. Is it really so unpleasant to see the words 'Mass Effect 3' in a link you can choose not to click? My heart goes out to you.

Littaly:

You could always just not click the thread.

It's a popular game and people want to hear about it.

i just hope that they don't refer to "elevators" as being a seamless experience between loading times. ahhhhhhh elevators

Littaly:

All I can say is:

:P

Littaly:

This. Most of these ME 'news' threads popping up lately are just pointless and like you said, empty.
If it had the same fanbase, we probably would've gotten about ten different articles on specific new weapons and abilities in Deus Ex HR.

While I obviously can't speak for the fans, all this stuff about hardcore immersion in RPG's is entirely lost on me.
I'd rather hear more about how they're totally not stripping it down to Gears of War in space.

Hint-hint?

Littaly:

I AM ANGRY AND LOUD, HEAR ME BECAUSE I HAVE AN OPINION.

The captcha is smarter than you. It said "tastes like chicken". Wise words indeed.

It's not the transition that will ruin immersion in this game, more shouting out the conversation line that you want Shepard to say then listening to the line again.

they better stop yapping about it or they'll just create impossible expectations

Daystar Clarion:

NOOOOOO THEY'RE TAKING THE HARD CORE RPG ELEMENTS OUT OF MASS EFFECT BIOWARE YOU GUYS SUCK I WANT AS MUCH UNNECESSARY FIDDLING WITH STATS AND UNNECESSARY INVENTORY MANAGEMENT AS YOU CAN CRAM ON THE DISK NOW APPEASE ME AND ONLY ME

In all seriousness I fail to see how covering the seams in any game is a bad thing.

News just in, Bioware say that they're going to make a good game! ;D

Daystar Clarion:
Seamless you say? Would you say another word for making something 'seamless' is to 'streamline' the experience.

Wow, at this point I find the people baiting or complaining about the purists more annoying than the purists themselves. :P
OP: Good. Conversation switching to action could be a bit jarring in 2.

Bioware's PR company in overdrive - nothing to get upset about, just their PR company doing their job and getting as many virtual column inches as possible.

Hopefully doesn't mean QTEs but I'd be surprised if it did.

Abedeus:

Littaly:

I AM ANGRY AND LOUD, HEAR ME BECAUSE I HAVE AN OPINION.

OT: Please let this be in reference to the loading times. If they have to be as long at least render the entire Normandy in one go - its not that big.

*reads thread ad sees more people complaining about "haters" thancomments by "haters".*

Chrisst is this going to be like Bieber again.

Ridgemo:
It's not the transition that will ruin immersion in this game, more shouting out the conversation line that you want Shepard to say then listening to the line again.

Event he normal wheel was bad "hmmm this option seems good to me" "what, no why ay that, the game didnt hint at that, you hypocriical, holier than though asshole".

I fucking hate that dialouge wheel.. Always have.

Littaly:

Yeah the hype train has started already. The earlier the train gets started the less excited I get about the game. At this point, all this hype is just a cover up for bad "streamlined" gameplay. It's getting to the point where games will spend more on marketing schemes then on actual development

Littaly:

Exactly what I was going to say. At this point they're just pulling stuff out of their ass and throwing it to the press to keep the game in the public eye. I was interested in seeing this game, but I'm getting more and more adverse to it every time they do a press release.

This one especially irritates me, because they said this exact same thing about the second game and it was exactly the same as the first one. I didn't mind--I don't really care about how "seamless" the cinematics and the action are. What I do mind is how much they're stroking their egos over this game, which I'm fully expecting to play exactly like Mass Effect 2. That's fine if it does, that's par for the course and I just want the series to finish. But for the love of Pete, they need to quit acting like this is going to be God's gift to gaming.

People getting their knickers in a twist over meaningless hype. Why am I not surprised?

I mean c'mon, theres no real point to paying attention to the news about ME3, Bioware will most likely make a fairly good game out of Mass Effect 3, raging on the forums about the hype or raging over the purists serves no sodding purpose.

The only thing I'm afraid of is that Bioware is overdoing it with the hype. My expectations for this game are already big enough, any bigger and I'd be disappointed with having load times at all.

.. okay ? Go for it.
In other news EA wants to make Battlefield 3 "Steamless"

heh.

All they are saying is that they are trying to get cutscene if across to you without pulling you out of charecter as much.

I must admit I thought ME2s QTEs were among the few examples of well done QTEs, they werent pass or fail so you have to repeat everything, and genrealy were half way through a conversation anyway so didnt disrupt flow much. The changes I'd make to the convo system include making at least some conversations time dependant, as in Alha protocal (so much wrong with that game, but its convo timing idea was pure gold), and on a few occasions the written option needs to coincide more with whats actually said (a sin not unique to bioware games sadly).

Indeed what U'd hope from this is making convos allow you at least in some cases to perform other actions, and to take account of what you do, changing the conversations course and awarding renegade and paragon points, have the charecter comment on whats going on.

fi6eka:
So they wanna make it like Metal Gear?

No, more like Uncharted I assume, where the cinematic merges into the gameplay.

Why is everybody complaining? It's news, some people are interested, some aren't. If you aren't, kindly get the fuck out. This piece of news will in no way ruin the game. It's just about gameplay-to-cutscenes transition. It was improved in ME2, and they're trying to improve it even further. What is wrong with that?

Littaly:

Yeah! God damn all those people who want to hear about an upcoming game! Shut up! Because I said so!

Y'know, they post these ME3 news stories because they get lots of pageviews.

If you want them to stop, the best thing you can do is not contribute to those pageviews.

Okay I love Mass Effect 2 and I loved Mass Effect 1 aswell. But yeah, they are probably just going to make the third one an all-out action game with just a minimum of RPG elements.
And thats fine with me. I like that there can be an Action game around that focuses on story and exploration and breaks the mold that only RPGs can have that.

Shit load of Quick time events.

Slow news weak guys?

Off topic: Whats with the escapist forums and bitching about nonexistent haters?

Konatacalypse:
Slow news weak guys?

Off topic: Whats with the escapist forums and bitching about nonexistent haters?

Thats more of an overall internet issue then one with this forum XD

Does this mean there are no more "hub" segments and "action" segments, like in the first game? Because the whole "one chance and that's it" approach in ME2 kinda jacked up some of the consistency, especially when it came to resource and money management. "Finished that mission but didn't get everything? Sucks to be you, because the area is now closed off FOREVER!" And then the game silently cackles at your misfortune, almost outright telling you "pay more attention, jackass!" as you scour the ends of the galaxy for that last 200 units of platinum to get that one weapon upgrade.

Uh... yeah. Or something like that.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or