Australian Arkham City Steelbook Edition Turns Back Time for Batman's Wardrobe

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Besides a retro outfit, the exclusive Arkham City bundle includes extra challenge maps and a free movie.

If you're Australian and you've ever wished that Batman would wear something a little bit more colorful, then the Steelbox edition of Arkham City might be exactly what you've been waiting for. This collector's edition contains a new bat-suit for the Dark Knight, straight out of the 1970's comic books, when Batman's sartorial choices were something other than black and grey.

As you can see in the picture above, the 1970's DLC skin gives Batman a blue cape, trunks, and cowl, and sticks the bat-symbol on his chest in the middle of a yellow oval. Purchasers will also get the Joker's Carnival challenge map DLC, as well as a copy of the animated movie Batman: Under the Red Hood, one of the most critically acclaimed animated Batman movies ever released. The PC and Xbox 360 versions will include a DVD copy of the movie, while the PS3 version will include a Blu-Ray copy. Obviously, it goes without saying that the Steelbook edition also comes with a Steelbook case.

The Steelbook edition is exclusive to EB Games Australia and costs $98 AUD, which is the same as some other retailers are charging for the regular edition of the game. The content itself isn't exclusive however; the Joker's Carnival map is available as a bonus for anyone in the US pre-ordering from GameStop, for example, and the 1970's costume is a pre-order bonus from certain UK retailers. If you are in Australia though, it's hard to see any reason not to grab the Steelbook edition.

Batman: Arkham City comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on October 18th, or October 19th in Australia.

Source: Joystiq

They need to make a DVD of Mask of the Phantasm. Still, for people willing to pay a bit extra, it's a good deal.

*notices it's Aussie exclusive*

Well, sucks for us Americans, but it's about time Australia gets some video game love.

Dammit, Australia....

*pouts that he can't be 70's Batman*

Premium edition for under $110?! What madness be this? Good thing I've yet to order...

thebobmaster:
Still, for people willing to pay a bit extra, it's a good deal.

Extra? That's how much games usually cost here.

Well damn. I want that pack so bad, yet it's the one CE that I can't get (I don't usually care about the CEs).

Seriously, this looks awesome

70's Batman? How about Dark Knight Returns Batman? OMG Awesome.

What? Something to do with Australia and gaming that doesn't make me lose faith in humanity? What sorcery is this?!

Antitonic:
Extra? That's how much games usually cost here.

Unless you buy your games off Amazon and Ebay like I do. You can usually get newly released games for around $50 AUD there.

This just made my fucking morning!

About the whole "games usually cost $100 here anyway", am I the only Aussie here who shops at JB Hi Fi? New releases are usually $80, with only certain games increasing in value (like COD) after a week or two. That's from my experience at least.

There's also Ozgameshop that costs about $60 but thats an online retailer.

Good to see Australia finally getting some real love in the gaming department.

I wonder if the costume comes with shark repellant?

what the frak is with all these special preorder editions all of a sudden that are either retailer exclusive or dont cone to the states at all, Im looking at you collectors edition of heroes of might and magic 6

Well, shit. I actually love that costume 1970 -1994.

You are such an nerd.

Hey gig, get bent.

D'AWW, Did I hurt de nerd widdle feelings?

I love how Batman has some attire choices in Arkham City. What I wanna know though is are these skins for story mode too, or just the challenge maps? Cuz the alternate outfit in Asylum was challenge mode-specific.

Actually going back and looking at the trailers I have gotten past being excited for it. To being afraid it's going to be just another sandbox game that plays like GTA except your batman will a few special side missions with Catwoman. :/ I hope this is seriously not the case. Because it seems to be so chalk full of villains all whom seem to get their own areas and missions but I don't see a real end boss and I am seriously not looking forward too a battled with a wheelchair bound healing Joker.

I was going to import it like I do with new release games now, but this sounds like a good deal I don't mind paying for. Especially since it comes with Red Hood on Blu Ray. I can't wait for this game to come out. This edition seems better than the American one too.

TheTygerfire:
Dammit, Australia....

*pouts that he can't be 70's Batman*

well atleast you can be.. um, supergirl?

thebobmaster:
They need to make a DVD of Mask of the Phantasm. Still, for people willing to pay a bit extra, it's a good deal.

*notices it's Aussie exclusive*

Well, sucks for us Americans, but it's about time Australia gets some video game love.

Awesome that they include the Red Hood...I saw it on a whim on Netflix and it just blew me away the quality of the animation and storytelling...bundling two of the greatest recent media entrances into the Batman franchise was a genius move.

So is there anyway to get the 1970's Batman costume in the US?

ThatDaveDude1:
So is there anyway to get the 1970's Batman costume in the US?

Learn to sew?

I'm not excited for this, now if there was a satin cowled 60's non muscular Adam West skin I'd be dropping cash on the pre-order.

Tell me there's an Adam West voice pack and then maybe I'll feel jealous.

Because, damn, I'd definitely buy on release day to hear that.

JohnTomorrow:
How about Dark Knight Returns Batman?

That had Batman in it? All i saw was an elderly version of Crazy Steve.

I wouldn't be surprised if the classic suit was available for everyone as DLC later on. I'm just jealous for the movie that goes with Australia's bundle. Gotham Knight is a good film, but I enjoyed Red Hood more. Then again, I can just buy it for less than $100, let alone on Blu-Ray.

Good on Rocksteady for giving Australia something worth spending the extra scratch. Although, I notice the lack of statue that's in the US bundle.

Infernai:

JohnTomorrow:

Dark Knight Returns actually made sense within itself. Dark Knight Strikes Again, however, truly is the continuing escapades of Crazy Steve.

Jbird:
Good on Rocksteady for giving Australia something worth spending the extra scratch. Although, I notice the lack of statue that's in the US bundle.

We can get the statue if we buy the collector's edition it's just that whereas America pays $100 USD for it, I think we pay something like $150 AUD.

Still, tis interesting to see a (somewhat) Australian exclusive.

It would be amazing if wearing that Costume changed the voice actor to Adam West.

Jbird:
I wouldn't be surprised if the classic suit was available for everyone as DLC later on. I'm just jealous for the movie that goes with Australia's bundle. [i]Gotham Knight[/I] is a good film, but I enjoyed [i]Red Hood[/I] more. Then again, I can just buy it for less than $100, let alone on Blu-Ray.

Infernai:

JohnTomorrow:

Dark Knight Returns actually made sense within itself. Dark Knight Strikes Again, however, truly is the continuing escapades of Crazy Steve.

We still have the regular CE with the statue and such, that just costs $148. As the article says, this costs the same as the regular edition.

how about the Adam West costume?? :p

Pretty lame consolation prize for not being able to buy the pc collecters edition

Damn you land down under!

Damn yoooooou!

*looks into importing game from Australia*

There were plenty of texture mods for Arkham Asylum, so the retro skin won't be exclusive (Unless they make you unable to mod the game at all) :P
Edit: Wops, wrote Arkham City xD

I was jealous at first then I saw this bit

Logan Westbrook:

the 1970's costume is a pre-order bonus from certain UK retailers.

Now I can't wait. Since I'm a massive nerd I'll probably use this costume when fighting Bane (it was the suit Batman wore in the Knightfall story arch that introduced Bane)

I hope that gets released as DLC eventually.

What? No Adam West mode? I figured that'd be more Australia's speed... :P

Considering we'll be paying $100 - $120 AUD ($109 - $131 USD) for it, I think we deserve it.

Damn it, now I've got to go change my preorder. I think that these exclusive editions that EB have been doing lately for the same price of the standard editions are a good incentive, at least when trying to get good value for your games when buying here in Oz.

TimeLord:

*looks into importing game from Australia*

Haha, there's something you don't hear every day.

If only there was an unlockable adam west circa 1960's voice acting replacment to go along with it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here