Rumor: Norris, Van Damme and Travolta Join Expendables 2

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Rumor: Norris, Van Damme and Travolta Join Expendables 2

Word on the street is that Chuck Norris, Jean-Claude Van Damme and John Travolta have all signed on for the upcoming all-star action fest Expendables 2.

Let's be honest about it: The Expendables sucked. It was awesome seeing almost every big-name action star from the 80s and 90s get together for what promised to be a no-holds-barred blowin'-stuff-up blowout but the actual film, as much as it hurts me to say it, was pretty lame. But if there's one thing I learned from the golden age of action films, it's that there is no problem in the world that can't be solved through the judicious application of violence, and so it is that The Expendables 2 will attempt to redress the shortcomings of the original film by adding a couple of guys with a penchant for pummeling.

First up is the Muscles from Brussels himself, Jean-Claude Van Damme, the man who took the ability to do the splits on command out of the realm of women's gymnastics and made it one of the most devastating maneuvers ever employed in single combat. And then, perhaps even more awesomely, is Chuck Norris, the man who can believe it's not butter and who prefers to punch out the enemies of America rather than shoot them because for him, it's faster, easier and way more effective.

Last but not least is John Travolta, who's not an action star in the strictest sense but did some very respectable turns in films like Broken Arrow, Face/Off and Swordfish, and who, rather like Mickey Rourke, is probably there more for his actual acting cred than his body count.

News of the cast additions comes not from Lionsgate, which hasn't yet made any official casting announcement, but from David Varod, the CEO of Nu Boyana Studios, where The Expendables 2 is expected to be filmed. Varod also told Bulgarian website Novinite.com that the sequel will not be directed by Sylvester Stallone but by Con Air director Simon West.

Take it for what it's worth coming from a man who looks like a Con Air passenger himself, but if it's true, it'll be awesome. Now all we have to do is get Steven Seagal and we'll have everyone. Everyone! Well, except for Jean Reno and Gary Oldman, I suppose. Maybe they'll sign up for Expendables 3.

The Expendables 2 is currently in pre-production and is expected to come out sometime in 2012.

via: Hitfix, thanks to AvsJoe for the tip.

Why is Chuck Norris joining the Expendables?

The Expendables should beg to join Chuck Norris.

oh goody...

by the looks of the first movie, it seemed like most of the budget went into actors' salaries.

adding more stars isn't going to help its case.

Oh joy, Chuck Norris.

Yup, this movie isn't even worth considering. At least the first movie had a cast I was actually curious in seeing, not that I ever did.

LIAM NEESON! Y U NO IN THIS MOVIE?

To make this awesome, they should have all three be the bad guys.
Jason Statham v Chuck Norris? Awesomesauce.

Shreder55:
Why is Chuck Norris joining the Expendables?

The Expendables should beg to join Chuck Norris.

Very much that.

Otherwise you can cram as many big names into one movie as you like, that alone isnt going to make even a decent movie.

I can hear, nay, I can feel Movie Bob screaming.

We know man, this is just, we know... I am so sorry if you have to watch it...

Why are they making a SEQUEL?! The first one wasn't a big enough pile of steaming shit?

Dear lord.

I just vomited a little bit.

Seriously why is this ... how could they... But ... wait.. no

/fatal aneurysm

EDIT: As to the question above... Budget of 80 million, profit of 275 million. = profitable and hollywoods golden rule, Milk the sacred cash cow, Every sacred tit you can get your greedy nubby little fingers around.

XandNobody:
I can hear, nay, I can feel Movie Bob screaming.

I know, right? Truly, a glorious feeling.

Mmmm, I don't know if I will see this.

I liked the first Expendables, I dont mind that it was a muscle-head, near to no plot movie. I went to see it for the action, and boy, did I get my fill and then some

And all of you, yes even the ones saying they arent, are going to see this movie anyway....because of Chuck Norris. Your not gonna see it as a want, but see it as an inevitability. Its gonna sound like this
Friend:You know that movie is gonna suck right?
You:Yeah but...c'mon, its Chuck Norris

Well all the 1st expendables needed was Bruce Willis doing what he does best. However, he was in themovie for all of 2 seconds and all he did was death stare Stallone. CMON!! Thats bullshit! The rest of the movie is not even worth watching cos no1 cares about the rest.

The sequel just needs a fight scene that goes like this

Bruce Willis v Sylvester Stallone v Arnold Schwartzenegger

As long as Stallone doesn't win that fight then I will be happy to watch that (fuck I hate Stallone, he can't even fucking talk).

Haseo21:
I liked the first Expendables, I dont mind that it was a muscle-head, near to no plot movie. I went to see it for the action, and boy, did I get my fill and then some

And all of you, yes even the ones saying they arent, are going to see this movie anyway....because of Chuck Norris. Your not gonna see it as a want, but see it as an inevitability. Its gonna sound like this

haha basically this.

plus as of late i've become very fond of van damme's cheesiness and have seen 8 of his films in the past 3 weeks..his roundhouse kicks are lethal and never get old, i'll say that.

OT: I did see this a couple weeks ago surprisingly while browsing IMDB for lulz, so if it comes out, awesome, if not, nothing no one will really miss..

Haseo21:

I came here to say this. I thought I was the only one[1] who thought it was actually rather enjoyable. It was not the best movie ever, and I didn't expect it to be. I just thought it was awesome seeing all those actors in the same movie.
I like that they're adding Van Damme and Norris now, and I hope Schwarzenegger and Willis will have bigger roles this time.

pearcinator:
Well all the 1st expendables needed was Bruce Willis doing what he does best. However, he was in themovie for all of 2 seconds and all he did was death stare Stallone. CMON!! Thats bullshit! The rest of the movie is not even worth watching cos no1 cares about the rest.

Agree.

pearcinator:
The sequel just needs a fight scene that goes like this

Bruce Willis v Sylvester Stallone v Arnold Schwartzenegger

As long as Stallone doesn't win that fight then I will be happy to watch that (fuck I hate Stallone, he can't even fucking talk).

I'd prefer Jean-Claude van Damme v Arnold Schwarzenegger v Sylvester Stallone. Those three guys were in almost every action movie I watched as a kid. And I agree Stallone shouldn't win (I'm even a bit hesitant about including him in the epic battle of Van Damme and Schwarzenegger).

Also, just for the hell of it, they should get The Rock to fight Stone Cold Steve Austin.

[1] Well, not the only one. You're never the only one.

Haseo21:

Unless, of course, you look at Chuck Norris for who he really is, an aging B-level at best actor, and decide that the irony of treating him as anything more than that has long stopped being funny and has become strident instead.

Perhaps this will for once be a logical event where the sequel improves on its predecessor.
The chance exists and i will probably see this only to hopefully see Jason Statham fight Chuck Norris.

But the first one was sooo boring. How did they get money to make another?

BenzSmoke:

Because the original Expendables made tons of money. Producers and the investors that back them couldn't care less about the quality of a movie, they only care if it brings in a crowd.

After reading the original post and the first volley of comments my respect for the Escapist community plummeted. Fortunately, there are at least a few people here who recognize that The Expendables was not garbage. It was a film that embraced its own heritage in a mix of irony and extreme awesomeness.

However, you can only achieve that rare balance of nonsense once. A sequel is inherently a stupid idea and adding those three actors is equally stupid.

BenzSmoke:

Apparently, they made around $274m world-wide. That's very good for a film so it's no surprising they are making a squeal.

Absolutely can't wait.

I was one of the few who enjoyed the first one, although I do admit that it was absolutely horrendous as a movie.

mad825:

BenzSmoke:

Apparently, they made around $274m world-wide. That's very good for a film so it's no surprising they are making a squeal.

It's because people wanted to see it, so they damn well saw it. Has nothing to do with how good it is (or isn't).
Personally, I'm still bitter about Scott Pilgrim being crushed by it.

Yeah, sold, okay, I'll be seeing this thing.

First one was awesome, don't think second one will be quite as awesome with the over-abundance of actors, but that doesn't mean that I won't be seeing it - with a line-up like that, I pretty much have to.

Andy Chalk:
Now all we have to do is get Steven Seagal and we'll have everyone. Everyone! Well, except for Jean Reno and Gary Oldman, I suppose. Maybe they'll sign up for Expendables 3.

I couldn't have said it better myself, no really.

Frankly the additions patch up a couple of holes I'd pointed out (in the cast) that I'd have expected to see from the first movie, (I mean it's not like Norris or Van Damme are exceptionally busy) and two of the actors you named would wrap up the rest of the necessary action stars quite nicely. So props for mentioning both Van Damme and Reno.

Chuck Norris has a pretty big legacy when it comes to action movies.
Van Damme, while he may not have been the BEST, but he has a pedigree!
And yes, John Travolta has had some good action movies. Then again...he also has Grease, a Grease SEQUEL, HAIRSPRAY, and Vinnie Barbarino.

One of these things is NOT like the others.

As if I needed more reason not to watch another Expendables mistake, lawl...
I think I'll just watch 3-4 of the individual movies, which are actually kinda good.

I may see this. I didn't really like The Expendables, but it had potential, so maybe this will work. Plus, John Travolta is a hilarious action star.

It's actually quite a good movie, and it's just really funny remembering that's John Travolta...

What they need to do is drop the story and make all these guys kick some random ass for 2 hours long.

I'm just happy Van Damme is in it much more so than Chuck Norris(I only liked him in the Missing in Action movies and Dogdeball). The first one was awesome and I can't wait for the next.

I tell you right now, if Chuck Norris is in, I'm out. He's an overrated joke three years past the expiration date. Seriously, he is not and never was an action star, he's a recycled internet meme. Do not want.

Moviebob is probably growing a beard so he can eat it when this stops being a rumor and is announced.

Hot farkin' damn, this will be the best actor teamup movie ever...
Maybe as awesome as this:

Now all we need is Samuel L. Motherfucking Jackson.

I never really enjoyed The Expendables. I didn't regret going to see it, but it wasn't the best film I have ever seen. Not sure if I will want to watch the second, I probably will in the end.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here