Epic "Saddened" by Gears of War 3 Leak

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Epic "Saddened" by Gears of War 3 Leak

July's leak means that people saw Gears of War 3 at something other than its best, says the game's executive producer.

Epic's Rod Fergusson says that he was saddened and frustrated by the news that a leaked build of Gears of War 3 had found its way onto torrent sites early last month, and that he can't understand what would make someone spoil an experience for themselves.

Fergusson said that the leaked version was a very early build, and so wasn't representative of the game's final quality. However, he said that it was sad that some people's first experience with the game was not as Epic intended, and not at the game's best. He said that he understood that die-hard fans were hungry for information, but compared the situation to watching a "making of" documentary for a movie you hadn't seen, or being shown how a magic trick worked before seeing the trick.

Fortunately for Epic, the game being exclusive to the Xbox 360 meant that the leak was much smaller than it could have been, as only appropriately modified consoles could play the build. Obviously, videos of the content could make their way online, but Fergusson said that Epic was very diligent about tracking them down and having them removed.

He also said that anyone who watched videos of the leak had no right to complain about having things spoiled. "I get people going, 'oh no, I just watched this thing on YouTube and it's totally given away something'. And I go, 'well, why did you go looking and why did you watch it?'"

Gears of War 3 comes out for Xbox 360 on September 20th.

Source: EDGE

Wow, these days it'll be lucky if you avoided a leak.

Shame, but it shouldn't hurt the game too much, the release date is fairly close?

How the hell does a game actually get leaked? I mean unless you host the game itself online there is absolutely no way a leak could happen. Yeah, an employee could leak the game but is your job really worth it?

AndyFromMonday:
How the hell does a game actually get leaked? I mean unless you host the game itself online there is absolutely no way a leak could happen. Yeah, an employee could leak the game but is your job really worth it?

well not just employee's but employee's at microsoft, courriers...etc
there are alot of links in the chain between studios, stuido heads, execs, testers...etc so anywhere in that link it could have been leaked or even a email account hacked and the alpha or beta version taken.

And I go, 'well, why did you go looking and why did you watch it?'"

Because people are morons.

And, honestly, this article is about a rather obvious subject, if you ask me. It's not like they're going to be overjoyed.

Seriously?! Did no one see this coming?

I can understand, these damned PC pira... wait.

Stop developing GOW for PC due to FUD of piracy. Get piracy on the 'safe' 360 instead. Karma / irony can suck sometimes....

Wow, their console exclusive game got pirated MONTHS before release.

"The person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card is a person who is savvy enough to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC. Right now, it makes sense for us to focus on Xbox 360 for a number of reasons. Not least PCs with multiple configurations and piracy."
-Cliff Blezinsky, 2008 - on the subject of why no PC release for Gears of War 2

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Cliff-Bleszinski-Talks-About-Gears-of-War-2-And-Piracy-94464.shtml

I knew that he would eat those words.

Also I think the word "spoiled" is a bit of a poor choice of words. Yes it gives away the ending. But that's like saying "hey you know the movie Titanic? The ship sinks!" What has actually been spoiled?

Gears games have always been paint-by-numbers with utter failure at drama or consistent characterisation and storytelling. Ultimately their problem is that the actions in cutscenes completely contrast with the actual gameplay, the banter and actions of characters in game. They seem to think they can compartmentalise the story into just the cutscenes - failing to see how the gameplay affect character impressions and story.

ph0b0s123:
Stop developing GOW for PC due to FUD of piracy. Get piracy on the 'safe' 360 instead. Karma / irony can suck sometimes....

unacomn:
I can understand, these damned PC pira... wait.

and yet PC piracy is still a vast ocean compared to the pond that is console piracy. Leaks of games are so common place on the PC no one reports on it.

You know, Eidos embraced their leak and asked for feedback.

Treblaine:

Gears games have always been paint-by-numbers with utter failure at drama or consistent characterisation and storytelling. Ultimately their problem is that the actions in cutscenes completely contrast with the actual gameplay, the banter and actions of characters in game. They seem to think they can compartmentalise the story into just the cutscenes - failing to see how the gameplay affect character impressions and story.

I take it that you don't like the series? It's not really a surprise that people don't really play Gears for the story / characters. Pretty much everyone plays for the gameplay alone.

RoseArch:
And I go, 'well, why did you go looking and why did you watch it?'"

Because people are morons.

And, honestly, this article is about a rather obvious subject, if you ask me. It's not like they're going to be overjoyed.

That's not the problem, the problem is people trolling. Using Cutscenes as a kind of rick-roll.

Also on image board like Troll Central 4Chan, people bombard spoilers all the time like "blah blah blah, no gaemz, PS: Marcus Fenix kills *****".

kman123:
Wow, these days it'll be lucky if you avoided a leak.

Shame, but it shouldn't hurt the game too much, the release date is fairly close?

It's two whole months before release.

This is just about the worst time for a leak as 2-months is about the time that is needed for final QA and send off copies to all the Ratings and censorship boards around the world to wrangle the rating you want. So the game IS finished, it just needs the final Bureaucracy and disc printing.

sravankb:

Treblaine:

I take it that you don't like the series? It's not really a surprise that people don't really play Gears for the story / characters. Pretty much everyone plays for the gameplay alone.

I'm kind of with that...

After playing gears of war I have to give props to the feel and design, but I don't like the gameplay so much. Too clunky and limited compared to similar titles like Uncharted. But I do find the in-game characterisation to be much more convincing and believable than the UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES!

OH fuck, the number of times they put a checkpoint immediately BEFORE an unskippable cutscene then an ambush where you likely die and have to watch the same cutsene again. And again. AND AGAIN!

My problem with the cutscenes is they are written like some 1990's trash comic book, the type that Linkara rips into. With such forced melodrama and contrived conflict.

But in game, the banter between characters in game worked much better, it contrasted with the cutscenes with such different tone and characterisation. It's like completely different writing teams were on gameplay writing and cutscene writing.

You know what, naturalistic banter IN GAME makes me care more about characters than cutscene melodrama! It takes itself too seriously in cutscenes.

If the cutscenes were ENTIRELY removed I'd say the game deserves a 10% higher score. No explanation for missing cutscenes, just replace the Cutscenes with a title card or just a jump cut.

Reading the title I got the image of Cliff Bleszinski being all depressed :'(

Treblaine:

sravankb:

Treblaine:

I'm kind of with that...

After playing gears of war I have to give props to the feel and design, but I don't like the gameplay so much. Too clunky and limited compared to similar titles like Uncharted. But I do find the in-game characterisation to be much more convincing and believable than the UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES!

OH fuck, the number of times they put a checkpoint immediately BEFORE an unskippable cutscene then an ambush where you likely die and have to watch the same cutsene again. And again. AND AGAIN!

My problem with the cutscenes is they are written like some 1990's trash comic book, the type that Linkara rips into. With such forced melodrama and contrived conflict.

But in game, the banter between characters in game worked much better, it contrasted with the cutscenes with such different tone and characterisation. It's like completely different writing teams were on gameplay writing and cutscene writing.

You know what, naturalistic banter IN GAME makes me care more about characters than cutscene melodrama! It takes itself too seriously in cutscenes.

If the cutscenes were ENTIRELY removed I'd say the game deserves a 10% higher score. No explanation for missing cutscenes, just replace the Cutscenes with a title card or just a jump cut.

Oh yeah, completely agree with you there - the game's cutscenes are just something to wait out and get over with. But the gameplay feels absolutely fantastic and fluid to me. I've never played a third-person shooter that plays better than this game.

Plus, the weapons in this game are some of the coolest chunks of badassery I've seen in any game.

Take DXHR press build leak as an example. I was interested in the game before, but I was a bit uncertain of what to expect from a prequel to something as great and mighty as DX. So, I checked the press build, and it was good. Not exceptional, but good. Well worth $50 for sure. It was like a demo and I didn't even bother to complete it - an hour was more than enough to reassure my faith in DX franchise.
So, I really don't see the reason as to why he cries about the leak. Unless the game itself is shit.

Who plays GOW for the story anyways? To me, the only memorable piece of character was "walk it off pussy". But it does suck to have their time, money, and effort stolen. The console pirating community isn't big enough. Not many people can be assed to potentially mess up their system so it's not too easily accessible. Doubt it's going to have much of an impact.

Why is it when I hear someone say 'it will ruin the game' they really mean 'it will ruin the story line'? Nothing is going to be spoiled by the gameplay as its in the third installment of the franchise and nothing but a few minor tweaks are ever made to fps anyways. Its only the story within the game that can be spoiled for anyone watching the videos as gameplay tends to repeat itself after you have learned it within the first 15 minutes of the game.

WilliamRLBaker:

and yet PC piracy is still a vast ocean compared to the pond that is console piracy. Leaks of games are so common place on the PC no one reports on it.

I remember reading that 1 in 3 DS owners use a flashcart. Are 1 in 3 PC users pirates?

ZeppMan217:
Take DXHR press build leak as an example.

DX?

'Deus Ex' becomes 'DX'?

Surely DE:HR

I believe the only convention of shortening the "Ex" to "X" is with "Explosives"

sravankb:

Oh yeah, completely agree with you there - the game's cutscenes are just something to wait out and get over with. But the gameplay feels absolutely fantastic and fluid to me. I've never played a third-person shooter that plays better than this game.

Plus, the weapons in this game are some of the coolest chunks of badassery I've seen in any game.

The weapons do have the talk, I just wish they had the walk.

Chainsaw is just too damn fiddly to use. WHY in this day and age is melee bound to a face button!!?! It should be mounted to a shoulder or thumbstick button so I can melee and aim at the same time. Uncharted does the same but the melee there is mainly for stealth attacks or finishing moves. then there is how if you take any damage at all with chainsaw revved it stalls and you are utterly defenceless for two seconds. Never EVER use the chainsaw. The only time you can is attacking from behind where any weapon's melee would do just as well.

"I've never played a third-person shooter that plays better than this game."

Have you played Uncharted?

Actually, have you played Max Payne! On PC, it's a fast paced game with multiple enemies you need mouse aim or it gets frustrating.

Quite a lot of seeders and leechers for a leak, i must say. Crysis 2's leak was tiny compared to the download numbers of this one.

Suck it epic. Suck it nice and hard :p You deserve it for blaming piracy instead of owning up and saying 'microsoft gave us lots of money, ok?'.

Are those green bits in the screenshot? I didn't think there were green bits in Gears of War.
Wadda ya know.

Don't really care about the leak, except feeling a little smug about the game being console-only and still getting stolen.

PIRACY IS KILLING PC GAM... oh wait, it's a console exclusive. Well, carry on, I guess...

Yeah, I know, snide and mean of me, but I can't resist making a comment like that whenever I see a leak like this for console exclusives. It always bugged me that a lot of the games I like don't come out on my platform and the only real reason given is "Piracy lol!". Well, dear developers, enjoy your "piracy free" console market.

Treblaine:

ZeppMan217:

DX?

'Deus Ex' becomes 'DX'?

I believe the only convention of shortening the "Ex" to "X" is with "Explosives"

DX is an official abbreviation. Just accept it, like Mortal Kombat.

Still, how many people do you know who pirate console games? Probably none. Plus, you can actually ban someone's console/account for playing pirated games, on PC, you can't do anything. Console piracy is a small problem, and the new consoles come out next year anyway (HOPEFULLY WITH BETTER SECURITY)

Joseph375:
Still, how many people do you know who pirate console games? Probably none. Plus, you can actually ban someone's console/account for playing pirated games, on PC, you can't do anything. Console piracy is a small problem, and the new consoles come out next year anyway (HOPEFULLY WITH BETTER SECURITY)

eight friends (who have consoles):
4 xbox360, 4 modded (cant say if they play online).
2 ps3, 1 modded (playing online), the other is to lazy to mod it.
3 wii all modded and playing online.

yes, i know people who pirate console games.

and i inform you its easier than pirating pc games

sonofliber:

Joseph375:

Most people don't. You should have them reported.

ZeppMan217:

Treblaine:

ZeppMan217:

DX?

'Deus Ex' becomes 'DX'?

DX is an official abbreviation. Just accept it, like Mortal Kombat.

Ah well, I can't argue with an official logo that is THAT BIG! Even though that logo is from the 'X-tream' PS2 port.

I'd just never come across that abbreviation before.

Then again 'Deus Ex' is such a short name I suppose it never needed to be abbreviated till the "Human Revolution" subtitle.

PS: Considering this is the original PC cover art;

The logo at the top is clearly not "DX" it looks far more like a stylised "DE"

I also remember that logo was in game, always revolving as you can see in this Lets Play, you can see the logo in the background of the launch options screen:

Do you have a more recent example of Deus Ex being officially abbreviated to "DX"?

"deus ex human revolution DX:HR" in google images doesn't give an example of any promotional images referring it to as "DX:HR"

But with "DE:HR" :

http://media.gamerevolution.com/images/misc/DEHR-at-e3.jpg (pic is too big)

I can only find an Eidos forum moderator who refers to "Deus Ex" as "DX"

http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=86841

This maybe ignorance talking here since I personally have not played the games, but I was made to be under the impression that the Gears of War franchise was pretty much the same throughout...

If that's the case... Didn't it get leaked years ago?

Seriously though, I doubt it'll hurt sales.

People nowadays just want a taster and they'll use any means to do it.

Some of us don't feel overly obligated to wait for a short, poor representation of a demo, which, let's be honest will only be either the first half of an early level or just online deathmath to come out exclusively for people who can be bothered to pay for a Gold Xbox Live sub.
(Can you tell I don't like Gold exclusive demos?)

Joseph375:

sonofliber:

Joseph375:

Yeah, someone call the cops. (/sarc)

PS: what kind of friend would he be if he did report them? i.e. he wouldn't

Joseph375:
you can actually ban someone's console/account for playing pirated games, on PC, you can't do anything.

Uh, you can just as easily ban accounts on PC.

-in both cases; pirates locked out of networks
-in both cases; they can STILL use their platform

Banned accounts doesn't brick hardware. It's not like they need to stay in the network to get updates, they need custom/pirate firmware for new games which is cracked in no time and firmware is only updated every few months at most.

And most of the time Xbox Live has such terrible security that not only are modded consoles running pirated games allowed to participate but there is a lot of evidence that Microsoft can't even detect which console are modded!

An Xbox 360 is just a computer. Once modded it is even more dangerous than a PC as with consoles the network is built around the assumption the console is "honest" and does only what the official firmware allows. With custom firmware it is easy to run rings around the network.

Having the story spoiled in an EPIC game is a bit like someone telling you the ending of a Michael Bay movie. Slightly annoying but not really why you were paying to see it anyway. Also stuff will explode most likely

Treblaine:

Joseph375:

sonofliber:

Yeah, someone call the cops. (/sarc)

PS: what kind of friend would he be if he did report them? i.e. he wouldn't

No, Reported to Xbox Live or PSN. I thought the Escapist was known for hating pirates. Piracy is essentially stealing money from developers. Modding consoles is fine, Piracy isn't.

Treblaine:

Joseph375:
you can actually ban someone's console/account for playing pirated games, on PC, you can't do anything.

Uh, you can just as easily ban accounts on PC.

-in both cases; pirates locked out of networks
-in both cases; they can STILL use their platform

Banned accounts doesn't brick hardware. It's not like they need to stay in the network to get updates, they need custom/pirate firmware for new games which is cracked in no time and firmware is only updated every few months at most.

And most of the time Xbox Live has such terrible security that not only are modded consoles running pirated games allowed to participate but there is a lot of evidence that Microsoft can't even detect which console are modded!

An Xbox 360 is just a computer. Once modded it is even more dangerous than a PC as with consoles the network is built around the assumption the console is "honest" and does only what the official firmware allows. With custom firmware it is easy to run rings around the network.

Its a lot easier to ban someone from XBL, then to ban them from PC play. What account would you ban on PC? Steam? Most games don't require Steam accounts. Also, isn't it possible to ban consoles from the network? That would mean no online play. If they keep trying they keep getting banned.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.