Blizzard Surprised by Reaction to Online-Only Diablo 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 25 NEXT

Please tell me Blizzard is not being this stupid. They've been at online gaming for 15 years and they make one of the worst mistakes you can make.
Honestly, having separate characters for offline and online sessions is a way better idea.

Crimsane:
"And, at the end of the day, how many people are going to want to do that?"

Idk, thousands of people?

Exactly if my internet suddenly died out and stayed offline for days or weeks per say the game that i paid a lot for suddenly becomes as useless as a bricked PSP.

Vaccine:
It's not about DRM, it'd be about cheating the Auction House system they're going to be using, what would be the point of the AH being flooded with duplicated items from a single player file, this would also be the same reason for mods I assume.

Then make it so single-player accounts can't use the trading function.
Sure, it may limit the game for them, but it won't break it.

Metal Brother:

Alphakirby:
Wait,how the hell was he surprised,sometimes people just want to play by themselves and on the go (if you have a laptop like mine),Hell I would be pissed too if I was planning on getting that game

Totally agreed. Either he's lying or (assuming positive intent) seriously failed to do market research.

Probably he just says he was surprised or didn't read any complains about SC2 and all Ubisoft games with always online implementation.
But they will most likely don't care because offline play doesn't bring the player near the ah - if they would care they would have kept offline mode (+mods) coupled with open battle.net and the closed battle.net.

edit:

Vaccine:
It's not about DRM, it'd be about cheating the Auction House system they're going to be using, what would be the point of the AH being flooded with duplicated items from a single player file, this would also be the same reason for mods I assume.

You know, they seperated open and closed battle.net and could do just the same with D3 and if you really think it isn't about DRM and control of the customer you are pretty naive.

I'm pretty sure he knew there was going to be a backlash, although they'll probably offer an offline mode within the first few patches.

cursedseishi:

steeple:

Crimsane:

my thoughts exactly...

cant believe that they want to make this shit the norm...

Actually, I think the number would be equal to those who hated SC2 and its online because Blizzard flat out spat on anyone who even thought of considering some form of LAN play, of course multiplied by some degree that I have yet to determine though I'm certain its rather high.

This smacks of the same rotten scent about the whole "REAL ID" fiasco a while back. What do you expect though? Activision took over Blizzard, the same numbnuts running that company are now controlling Blizzard as well.

thing is, I'm not sure if activision are to blame. I mean, as much as I would like to pin it all on them, blizzard is still independent about how their games are made, so it's pretty hard for me to say "god damn kotick" on this too...

Oh well, leave it to the pirates to make the game playable for legitimate customers.

Good going Blizzard, I havent bought any of your games in a long time and its now beyond all doubt that this trend will continue for a long, long time.

Heres to hoping Diablo 3 is a massive flop.

I'm with every one else on this so far with comments. It was stupid and ignorant to expect people to come up to this "always online" deal even when only playing by yourself. Well, so much for getting D3... maybe Torchlight 2 instead.

Do people still not get it, it's not intended to be a single player game, the comparison with AC2 is false.

It's always online for the same reason guild wars 1 and 2 will be when it arrives, same as world of warcraft or the upcomming star wars the old republic.

If you avoid this game then i must insist that you avoid all thoses others because they are no different.

Yeah, sure they were surprised.

Yeah, sure, it has nothing to do with DRM.

Separate user flows my ass.

Hey, Blizzard, you want to do this?. Fine. You lose but money. But at least respect us and don't take us by complete morons by coming with the BS spin.

Andy Chalk:

"I'm actually kind of surprised in terms of there even being a question in today's age around online play and the requirement around that," Bridenbecker told MTV Games. "We've been doing online gameplay for 15 years now... and with World of WarCraft and our roots in Battle.net and now with Diablo 3, it really is just the nature of how things are going, the nature of the industry. When you look at everything you get by having that persistent connection on the servers, you cannot ignore the power and the draw of that."

See, this is the problem. He's not surprised about how people would not want online only play. He's surprised at how we're not accepting that this is "the nature of how things are going", and why we don't roll over and accept it.

What exactly do we gain? Nothing. (Seriously, can anyone tell me a thing the player gains by having an always on connection?)
What do we lose? Well...dial up (Yes there are some about still) are pretty much screwed. Bandwidth chokers are up in force...generally we're just being told that if we want to play the latest game, we must be wired up to Blizzard HQ at all times. And that's a benefit to us.

It isn't. It never has been, and until you can show something that means that the always on is a benefit to us, then it's unlikely we're going to stop complaining about having to alter the way we play games.

And if you knew anything about your customers, you'd have known that from the start. Which is why I'm suspecting that you did, and you're trying to play it down.

jamesworkshop:
Do people still not get it, it's not intended to be a single player game, the comparison with AC2 is false.

It's always online for the same reason guild wars 1 and 2 will be when it arrives, same as world of warcraft or the upcomming star wars the old republic.

If you avoid this game then i must insist that you avoid all thoses others because they are no different.

Yes, because Diablo 3 is an MMO.

This Just In!

Robert Bridenbecker joins the ranks of other idiots who think:

"Always Online is Cool!"

Grats....now please place your head on the block so we can chop it off!

Andy Chalk:

How about all of the players now complaining? By the sounds of it, there's quite a few that would love it.

It's official Blizzard has crossed the line to just not getting it anymore. Getting locked out of a single player game when you can't access internet is just plain dumb.

If it's about cheating, make online and offline seperate
If it's about the AH, don't allow offline characters to use it.
If it's about DRM, admit it.

Let's look at this from the view of the Empire here. Online only is DRM so that means the game is pirated less. Their AH is secure so that means more transactions for Blizzard to make fees off of.

steeple:

cursedseishi:

steeple:

my thoughts exactly...

cant believe that they want to make this shit the norm...

Actually, I think the number would be equal to those who hated SC2 and its online because Blizzard flat out spat on anyone who even thought of considering some form of LAN play, of course multiplied by some degree that I have yet to determine though I'm certain its rather high.

This smacks of the same rotten scent about the whole "REAL ID" fiasco a while back. What do you expect though? Activision took over Blizzard, the same numbnuts running that company are now controlling Blizzard as well.

thing is, I'm not sure if activision are to blame. I mean, as much as I would like to pin it all on them, blizzard is still independent about how their games are made, so it's pretty hard for me to say "god damn kotick" on this too...

isn't it obvious to people that this descision is based on the huge money spinner called WoW that got released after diablo 2, you can't play that offline either

Wow. Not even considering buying this now. And I have high-speed wireless. Makes me glad I didn't give Blizzard any money for Starcraft 2.

It seems that merging with Activision has lowered the IQ of everyone at Blizzard by 70 points.

I guess he doesn't check gaming websites much, then.

Salad Is Murder:
I'm surprised whenever I see "Game CEO is shocked at negative response from gamers". It's like, HELLO, have you been on the internet, like, EVER!?

Yea, what rock did he crawl out from...oh right, he works at Blizzard.

cursedseishi:

jamesworkshop:

yes that is excatly what they have made, people are thinking that diablo 3 was just some graphical update/remake of diablo 2 which clearly is not the case.

everything about this game screams guild wars, mmo, instanced player groups, single one time payment and subscription free.

soloing a mmo is not the same thing as a single player game

I just love how oblivious the man is "What there are people who don't love us unconditionally?! Impossible!"

But Blizzard is a behemoth and they can stomp on their user base any way they please.

Seriously, is the guy trolling? Is he suggesting that the people at Blizzard didn't listen to the fan outcry at SC2 not having LAN capability? How disconnected from your own target demographic do you have to be to be surprised?

I'd have understood if he said he expected some resistance, but hoped the benefits of online connectivity would make people come around or whatever. I don't know what the most grating thing is, that he lies, or that he thinks people would be more accepting of the lie ("we don't pay attention") than the alternative ("we really prefer online and that's what we're going to make"). Or the risk that they really are that oblivious. Way to put out a fire with gasoline.

Also, how stupid is the argument "We don't want people to have to start over when they come online"? Really? Because people in WoW only ever have one character. Why would anyone want to play the game again with a different class? That's madness.

It's like the guys in Extra Credits pointed out. People who just don't care can still thrive in this industry.

I played Diablo 2 for years. Offline. If I played with anybody else, it was via LAN.

Andy Chalk:

Oh, oh, me me!

And pretty much everyone I know that would be willing to get this game.

Now I'm not too sure about getting it, since I wouldn't be able to play it whenever I want to. Ugh, companies are so short sighted sometimes.

jamesworkshop:

cursedseishi:

jamesworkshop:

yes that is excatly what they have made, people are thinking that diablo 3 was just some graphical update/remake of diablo 2 which clearly is not the case.

everything about this game screams guild wars, mmo, instanced player groups, single one time payment and subscription free.

soloing a mmo is not the same thing as a single player game

Its actually called Blizzard trying to shoe-horn their "Battlenet 2.0" into everything they are making now. That's why you have to always be online to play Starcraft 2, that's why you can only have ONE account per CD-key for it. That definitely ain't an MMO though.

Diablo 3 is about as much of an MMO as Diablo 1 or 2 was. You're just confusing unnecessary bullshit with "features".

I know war craft is forced online but that is really the hole point I just cannot understand how blizzard missed the general hate other companies got for releasing forced online games even then there is a single player mode.
Or have they all been too busy playing wow to notice.

This more or less shows how detached Blizzard has become from it's customer/user base. Either that or they are playing dumb as a sort of damage control, while they play around with the scheme that worked so well for Ubisoft.

I also imagine they figure there are enough Diablo addicts out there where they could put extra ripe cow paddies into the boxes on top of the disks and people would still clean them off and play. As a result they figure that even if people hate the DRM, it's not going to influance their bottom line of legitimate sales.

To be honest, how many people who have been waiting for this game with major anticipation for the last few days have suddenly decided that they will not buy/play it? I mean seriously, not just "I'm going to say so on the internet and then buy it anyway". If your a series fan, ask yourself that question, and then realize that exact mentality is why the industry plays kick the can with the consumer base. Things like nerd-rage petitions mean nothing unless backed with force, or a direct loss of revenue. Unless you can get hundreds of thousands not to buy a game like this, or have a group like Lulzsec ready to make a company miserable (and they know the group is coming) your not going to get anywhere.

Absolute bullcrap.

Blizzard always feigns disinterest in the avid, panting anticipation which surrounds the rare morsels of information they toss to the public. They play the part the absent-minded professor - intent only on the perfection of their craft - but they want to sell games as much as the next company. The chances that a PR backlash resulting from this requirement not being considered in any one of the hundreds upon hundreds of design meetings during the looooong development of this game is pretty damn low imo.

Was a huge diablo 2 fangirl (Bowazon!).

Diablo 3 won't be bought. My connection isn't stable enough, meaning I won't be able to play it. Similar games showed this.

Too bad, really. I'd like to.

Am I the only one who has noticed that gaming is going into the shitter? (Rhetorical question... of course I'm not) Every time I look at gaming-related news, I have to read about developers going out of their way to screw players. B.S. drm, Ubisoft, and now this? Where the hell are the gamers voices in all of this?? Are we being heard at all?

I am now boycotting Blizzard. Not just Dia-blow 3, but all blizzard. I am sick of this shit.

I am quite frankly surprised by his surprise.

"We've been doing online gameplay for 15 years now... and with World of WarCraft and our roots in Battle.net and now with Diablo 3, it really is just the nature of how things are going, the nature of the industry. When you look at everything you get by having that persistent connection on the servers, you cannot ignore the power and the draw of that."

I love how he points out that this is the direction that the industry is going. That could be true, but the industry NEEDS to got the way the consumers want it to go. And I can't think of a single reason to have a persistent online connection outside any MMO at all. The only thing we will have access to all the time seems to be the game breaking store. The only time you need a persistent connection is for PVP, and since the single player game doesn't have PVP, then there really is no reason for it.

I take back what I said, I'm not surprised by his reaction at all. When you are as big as Blizzard is, then you get disconnected from your target audience. Then another company is going to come along, and take them away because they are capable of anticipating consumer needs. That is why people get to the top, and do not occupy it for long.

shameduser:
Does anyone know exactly what these benefits of have an always on connection are? I can really think of any.

I was thinking the same thing the only thing I could think of is having a communitee and playing with your friends but thats only 2 things and not everyone even cares about either.

I just dont like the idea of a company telling me when I can and cannot play my game. If I own it I should be able to play it when ever I please but this is the same reason I dont touch MMO's

Crimsane:

At the end of the day, how many people are still going to buy this game even though it doesn't have dedicated servers offline play?

If you really, really want to show Blizzard how bad of an idea this is, then those of you who disagree need to not ever buy this game. Ever.

Personally, I'm unaffected because my internet connection is just fine and we're looking into switching to something even better. So, I'll be enjoying this game on release.

Also, I think Blizzard is thinking more ideally that realistically. Ideally, everyone would have a strong, sturdy fiber-optic line into their homes. Currently? Fiber-optics still cost a ton of money to install, on top of having to pay more for the service. Give it twenty years, then this would be a much more realistic vision.

Any clown who believes this isn't a DRM thing needs to get their heads checked. Prettying up DRM by disguising it as anti-cheat or a method to "maintain the flow" is comical at best.

Glad I wasn't interested in this game, because now I'm totally against it. I've never been a Blizzard fan, and probably won't be now. Thanks for saving me money Blizzard.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 25 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.