British Media Blames Games For London Riots

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

To be honest this isn't a big deal. The Standard is not a national paper (so who cares), and this is just lazy journalism wanting an exciting quote. It's not like they've actually gone to any effort to place these events on videogames, it's a quote not an article. While I admit it's stupid I think we need to stop getting so outraged over crap like this, and be vocal when it matters.
In other news, would love to play a 3D version of GTA 60's London. It'd be awesome :)

Games blamed for violent behaviour?
Oh please. It obviously has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the area is one of the most run-down in the UK, feels heavily isolated and the fact that a collection of anarchist tossers decided to hijack a peaceful protest for their own gains. [/sarcasm]

Earnest Cavalli:
What exactly do they imagine "London Calling" was about?

Forgive me for this, but I've analysed this song and written about it far too many times now...
There's only one line that refers to civil disobedience - "we ain't got no swing, except for the ring of the truncheon thing". It's a criticism of the heavy-handedness of the police during the race riots in London of the year before.
The line about drug use is Strummer's criticism how how drugs had become something to take when bored (turning people into the 'zombies' the song mentions)

The underlying tone of the song is the end of the world and the end of punk music (which had been delcared 'dead' in 1977).
"Nuclear error" (not "era" as a fair few people seem to believe) refers to the March '79 Three Mile Island nuclear powerstation meltdown, at the time one of the worst (civil) nuclear incidents.
Similarly, the references to London in the song (the chorus "London is drowning and I - live by the river") was about the fears that due to global cooling (oh how times have changed!) the Thames would flood, drowning all of central London and effectively destroying the UK. Strummer's flat would have given him a good view of it happening. In the 1980's the Thames flood defence barrier was built.

Back to the topic - the standard isn't that well read. In fact, I honestly can't remember the last time I saw somewhere selling it (or even saw someone with a copy!)
Simply trying to sell a paper based on recent riots and trying to 'analyse' why the riots happened.

Earnest Cavalli:

In spite of whatever political or socially inflammatory motives one might read into this story, I'm most disappointed by the choice of media the Standard is referencing here. I realize that Grand Theft Auto is the rallying point du jour for the technological angst of a certain elder generation, but how can you write a story about riots in London and not make a single reference to The Clash?

The problem is they all think that song's called "London Gardens."
They think Joe Strummer is singing about flower beds. If they knew what it was really about, it would've gotten banned long ago.
RIP Joe.

I think it's about time we start blaming the economy, the wars, and the hacking on Golf and Barry Manalo.

Of course it has to be video games. Nothing else only games and games alone.

Geez...When will we stop blaming games?

I blame the bible...

Not really, but it is as relevant to the riots as any of the Grand theft Auto games. In fact, I know nothing about the cause of the riots, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was bible-related.

This is the first ive heard of games being blamed, but the evening standard is such an outstanding paper isnt it?

Its just dickheads running amock and the media just needs an easy scapegoat.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! Its now spread to Birmingham, I always thought Britain had gone to hell, but heres the proof

Riots, its not caused by video games BUT BY FAT PEOPLE. the rise in obsety is mirrored by the rising fear of crime. The aguremnt is flawless. Will be on front page of shite news tomorrow

MadMechanic:
snip

All True. However on their debut album (The Clash) there is a song Called 'White Riot'

much more apt for the story.

I blame Fable III for this. All that Revolution malarkey clearly inspired the revolutionaries (whom we English call thugs or pikeys) not to loot London to the ground, but to overthrow the oppression of the evil Queen. And getting a new LCD Television in the process.

Sorry, I can't say with a straight face, this shit's bananas.

Earnest Cavalli:

How can you write a story about riots in London and not make a single reference to The Clash?

I appreciated this reference far too much.

+2 internets to you good sir.

TCPirate:

I think it's all down to The Smurfs being released in Cinemas round here.

I could totally understand that and agree 100% with the riots in that case. :P

When people want to break shit, people will break shit.
It has nothing to do with if they where playing GTA or picking flowers the day before.
The majority of humans enjoy violence, it's enthralling down to a primal level of entertainment.

Generic Gamer:
Yeah, well. It's probably not true but who wants to hear 'riots in London due to fuck ups committed by the people that buy this paper'?

So caused by nobody, no-one buyts it, it's a free paper.....

It's always the fault of games, didn't you know?

Idiots, obviously it was all the immigrents from iraqistaniland
(If anyone takes that seriously I will eat them while they sleep)

Seriously though what the fuck?

EDIT: Yay 6000 posts *Party whistle*

Petromir:

Generic Gamer:
Yeah, well. It's probably not true but who wants to hear 'riots in London due to fuck ups committed by the people that buy this paper'?

So caused by nobody, no-one buyts it, it's a free paper.....

Oh you know what I meant, people who read this paper then. Still, feel free to take a slap on the back, you were right.

It all started so peacefully as well, all this trouble, all this violence, just because some gangster was shot and killed

So what do they reckon caused the riots in the 80's? Space Invaders? Honestly, it's depressing. Maybe they'd all been watching Harry Brown, ever think of that?

this is complete and utter bullshit. any thing vaguely bad happens anywhere in the world everybody starts to point fingers at gaming, it's like the universal excuse for anything now

I blame pants.
If no one had pants, there would be peace.

this is FUCKING stupid. It's a bunch of FUCKING yobbos looking for a fight. ME AND MY DAD PREDICTED THIS IN FEBRUARY.

"CHAV" = Counsel House and Violence

USSR:
I blame pants.
If no one had pants, the would be peace.

I have to admit that if everyone had their privates out there would be a lot less broken glass.

Good call!

This doesn't deserve any further discussion. I open up the internet to look for a serious thread of opinions and I find this. I'm certain the London (and Birmingham) riots have nothing to do with video games. Bloody Evening Standard, not fit for loo roll.

I was waiting for them to blame games. I can't believe it's still the cool thing to blame at the minute. The media can't quite grasp the fact that some people don't need a reason to do something and don't need a scapegoat, they're just stupid fuckers.
I wonder what's going to get blamed next? We already had people years ago saying this, that and the other about how TV was going to turn your children into mindless killing machines.

I hope it's the Internets turn next!

MadMechanic:
Games blamed for violent behaviour?
Oh please. It obviously has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the area is one of the most run-down in the UK, feels heavily isolated and the fact that a collection of anarchist tossers decided to hijack a peaceful protest for their own gains. [/sarcasm]

Earnest Cavalli:

Forgive me for this, but I've analysed this song and written about it far too many times now...
There's only one line that refers to civil disobedience - "we ain't got no swing, except for the ring of the truncheon thing". It's a criticism of the heavy-handedness of the police during the race riots in London of the year before.
The line about drug use is Strummer's criticism how how drugs had become something to take when bored (turning people into the 'zombies' the song mentions)

The underlying tone of the song is the end of the world and the end of punk music (which had been delcared 'dead' in 1977).
"Nuclear error" (not "era" as a fair few people seem to believe) refers to the March '79 Three Mile Island nuclear powerstation meltdown, at the time one of the worst (civil) nuclear incidents.
Similarly, the references to London in the song (the chorus "London is drowning and I - live by the river") was about the fears that due to global cooling (oh how times have changed!) the Thames would flood, drowning all of central London and effectively destroying the UK. Strummer's flat would have given him a good view of it happening. In the 1980's the Thames flood defence barrier was built.

I was referring to the album, not the single song, but admittedly, it was more an excuse to reference The Clash than anything else.

Dominic Burchnall:
So what do they reckon caused the riots in the 80's? Space Invaders? Honestly, it's depressing. Maybe they'd all been watching Harry Brown, ever think of that?

That was Joe Strummer also.

I'm surprised they aren't blaming V for Vendetta or Reign of Fire.
V for Vendetta has some hardcore 'rioting', and Reign of Fire burns ALL of London.

Not even surprised by this.

I'm sure high youth unemployment, a complete lack of hope for the future and a government run by toffs with no grip on reality has absolutely nothing to do with it.

People read the Evening Standard? Really?

Grand Theft Auto is the ________ trainer.

Is Rockstar North's office a training facility?

Grats, Johnny, You are going to R* North to learn to riot.

Games, Blame It When Bad Parenting and such doesnt work!

Sometimes I feel bad for my country both for our stupid scare mongering media and the violence parts of our society feel they have to resort to

I blame video games for video games being blamed for society's problems.

is it possible that we should also blame nintendogs for teaching us how to play frisbee and walk our dogs? double standard anyone?

fucking morons!! anybody got link to article? struggling to find it.

Surely it's all games' fault and not the movies, books, poetry or art.
/irony

The place where people already punch a busdriver for not driving, plus soccer roits everytime there is a match?

And they blame it on games.

*golf clap*

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook