Bethesda Shows Off Skyrim's Dark Elves

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Bethesda Shows Off Skyrim's Dark Elves

If you try to touch this Dark Elf, he will cut you.

Elves come in many flavors in the Elder Scrolls, perhaps most prominently - or at least most eye-catching-ly - the Dark Elves, or Dunmer. Originally hailing from Morrowind - the mushroom and bug filled province that provided the setting for the third Elder Scrolls game - the Dark Elves have spread to every corner of Tamriel, including the northern lands of Skyrim.

This first look at Skyrim's Dark Elves is the result of a pair of polls that Bethesda conducted on the game's official Facebook page: The first to determine the character's race from the ten the game has to choose from, and the second to determine the character's play style - thief, mage, or warrior. Thief won out over mage or warrior, and the Skyrim team set to work putting together a rather angry looking Dark Elf, wielding a pair of rather nasty looking daggers.

The image is rather dramatic - although that's not a bad thing - but I think that Bethesda has missed a trick by not showing the Dark Elves' red eyes. An angry guy who wants to cut you is one thing, an angry guy who wants to cut you and whose eyes burn like a raging fire, is an even scarier proposition.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: GamePro

Me Gusta.

Also, dat knife.

Heres to hoping the weapons actually look that kick ass in game and that its not Bethesda lies again.

He kind of looks Arabian.
Also did anyone else notice that there's what appears to be the top half of a mushroom cloud in the distance.

triggrhappy94:

I was thinking Mr. T.

manythings:

triggrhappy94:

I was thinking Mr. T.

He does sorta look like a Night Elf Mohawk.

I don't like it! The Dunmer's head looks too big for the body, and I don't understand the facial expression. It is a mix of agony, crying, yawning and anger. Only the last of the four has anything to do with swinging swords at enemies.

:(

Besides, this doesn't look like a thief. It looks like a Dark Brotherhood member. They were assassins/murderers, not thieves.

[EDIT:] I'll be damned if they have their ridiculous voices from Oblivion. Bring back their dark voices from Morrowind!

triggrhappy94:
Also did anyone else notice that there's what appears to be the top half of a mushroom cloud in the distance.

Skyrim: Fallout 3 With Swords.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Heres to hoping the weapons actually look that kick ass in game and that its not Bethesda lies again.

QFT. When I read about some of the details of the game I think it might be really good, but then I remember that Todd Howard claimed that, in Oblivion, you'd have difficult choices and that you can influence NPC behaviour and simple quests could be completed in hundreds of different ways, and that even the clothes your wearing would affect how NPCs reacted to you, in very subtle ways.

The picture is kinda cool, though.

Does anybody else think that that dark elf looks like an angry mexican?

triggrhappy94:

I was thinking mexican but I can kind of see arabian as well. I actually thought that was supposed to be some kind of crazy moon in the sky.

Goatmeat:
Skyrim: Fallout 3 With Swords.

I liked fallout 3, and I used swords in it...

Not digging the new Dunmer.

But there was bound to be SOMETHING in this game that disappointed.

Cool. This confirms my choice of race for my first playthrough.

Kakulukia:

Wood elf?

Definitely an improvement on the rather foppish variety from Oblivion, but it'll be difficult to topple the steely-eyed variety from Morrowind. give them a gruff voice again and I'll be in love.

Shycte:
Me Gusta.

Also, dat knife.

I heard you Bro, dat knife is lookin fine :D

Oh look, it's Mr T in Dunmer form!

Onyx Oblivion:

If the only thing that's disappointing is that the Dark Elves are kinda not dark, then I'll be a very happy man.

But then, I've never thought of the Elder Scrolls as full games so much as they are canvas games for modders to paint their glorious creations on.

Like the Heart of Darkness for Oblivion. That shit was crazy awesome.

Looks cool, but they better get their chain-smoker Morrowind voice back.

triggrhappy94:

If i remember the Lore of The Elder Scrolls correctly that's either Masser or Secunda, the two moons of Nirn. I'd be nice to see how they texture the Sky, seeing as it's probably a a big thing, in SKYrim :)

SgtFoley:
I liked fallout 3, and I used swords in it...

Well... fair point. I forgot about the Chinese Officer's swords.

It was an attempt at referencing a fear amongst Fallout fans when it was announced that Bethesda were doing Fallout 3 that Fallout 3 would be "Oblivion with guns." This fear was exacerbated when Fallout 3 was released and it turned out that it was, in fact, Oblivion with guns. Kinda.

So, it was a (lame) joke, but to be honest I am genuinely curious to see if any of the things they started doing in Fallout 3 will carry over to Skyrim. I kinda hope they don't because I think there's too much that's too similar between both games now, but on the other hand I'd like it if the dialogue was a bit more in depth.

SgtFoley:
Does anybody else think that that dark elf looks like an angry mexican?

The guy he's pissed off at just informed him that he and his homies don't have badges. "Badges?" he is saying in that screenshot. "We don't need no stinking badges!"

KaizokuouHasu:

Kakulukia:

Wood elf?

Ha. Ha. Ha. No.
My favorite playthrough of Oblivion was as a Dark Elf, I'll go with them again. Then Argonian if they still look cool.
Wood elves suck anyway.

Onyx Oblivion:

I think your condemning it too quickly. This is only 1 of possibly 5 palette swaps for the male dunmer.

Joking aside, it is a little rash to judge every nightelf in the game off of one possible npc or player character preset.

Well, the skin tone looks a bit better than the occasional green tinge they had in Oblivion.

Kakulukia:

KaizokuouHasu:

Kakulukia:

Wood elf?

Ha. Ha. Ha. No.
My favorite playthrough of Oblivion was as a Dark Elf, I'll go with them again. Then Argonian if they still look cool.
Wood elves suck anyway.

Hey don't be hating of short people. That's discrimination. They could, like... control one beast and stuff. And that was, err, useful? They could also, mmmm, sneak.

Actually... I don't think anyone like Bosmers to be honest.

Argonians and Dunmer are both great races in my opinion, but I still side with the Bretons for the added Magicka and Magic resistance. Handy indeed for an illusionist/alteration/alchemy thief character.

I don't think I've ever played dark elf for their statistical advantages. I think the only reason I ever play them is aesthetic. What about you?

Sigh. Every new ES game makes the Dunmer look worse. Every single one. (Yes, going back to Arena. Though Daggerfall wasn't much of a step down.)

thank god they arnt going with the smurf elves from oblivian again

I gave them all to something more important.

KaizokuouHasu:

Kakulukia:

KaizokuouHasu:
Wood elf?

Ha. Ha. Ha. No.
Wood elves suck anyway.

Hey don't be hating of short people. That's discrimination. They could, like... control one beast and stuff. And that was, err, useful? They could also, mmmm, sneak.

Actually... I don't think anyone like Bosmers to be honest.

Argonians and Dunmer are both great races in my opinion, but I still side with the Bretons for the added Magicka and Magic resistance. Handy indeed for an illusionist/alteration/alchemy thief character.

I don't think I've ever played dark elf for their statistical advantages. I think the only reason I ever play them is aesthetic. What about you?

They make great rogues/assassins/theives. And they're blue. That's a winner combination.

I don't use magic that much in TES... It was totally unreliable in Morrowind since you failed spells 80% of the time, and to me it wasn't that much useful in Oblivion, since non-magical talents/items could have the exact same effects as most spells. The only schools I used in Oblivion were Destruction (for which Dunmer have +10) and a bit of Restoration to save on health potions. Because of this, Altmer and Bretons have never really interested me. I stick with warrior and rogue races.

Looks like their design in Morrowind, actually. Having not seen any of the other elves, I can't really say this for sure. But if they're making the different races actually look unique and not small differences like a palette swap or a rounder/more gaunt face, then I'm definitely for this. I love the new Dunmer look.

Nice to see that they are going back to the middle-east inspired Dark Elves form Morrowind rather then pallet-swapped ones they had in Oblivion.

Certainly an upgrade in my book. Never been a fan of elves in general, but that looks pretty BAWSE in my opinion.

Sill disappointed that Argonian didn't win, but it's a neat picture.

HE'S NOT BLUE DAMN IT! As much as I love Dark Elves this one doesn't look nice, though I'll probably still be one for my first play through!

Looks promising, even thought it is a bit Dark Brotherhood-esque. Here's hoping Skyrim is just as amazing as Morrowind ,and just a bit better than Oblivion!

What, no Argonian? >:I

so any news on when they show all the races and what they look like?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here