Rage Cuts Single-Player When You Buy It Used

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Rage's creative director has confirmed the lack of always-on DRM, but announced single-player cuts for aftermarket buyers.

In recent years, game publishers have made it no secret that they aren't particularly thrilled with the effect that pirating and used game sales have had on their profit margins. In response, they've stuffed games with everything from online passkeys to the ever-loathed always-on DRM, while gamers have had the privilege of playing guinea pig to whatever solutions they come up with. Bethesda's upcoming post-apocalyptic shooter Rage is no exception, and the game's creative director Tim Willits has confirmed what you'll be missing out on if you fail to buy it with the shrink wrap still in place: an entire section of the game's single-player experience.

Most people who spend a good part of their day on XBL or PSN have probably already run into the online pass, a special one-use code included with your disc that generally unlocks the game's multiplayer mode once you redeem it. What this means, of course, is that if you ever sell that game after growing bored with it, the unlucky sod who gets it next won't be able to pwn his buddies with that overpowered sniper rifle he unlocked by beating the game until he or she drops what's usually another $10 to $20 on a pass of his or her own. Rage won't be protecting its multiplayer, but it will be using a similar idea for part of its single player campaign. The "sewer hatches," an underground tunnel system that will reportedly bring players to new enemies and missions, will only open up with a brand new copy of the game.

When asked about the section that would be cut for aftermarket buyers, Willits said, "[M]ost people never even see it. I can tell you, some people will buy Rage, download that, and still never set foot in those things. They just won't. I think that's fair. It's cool. It's outside the main path. We're not detracting from anything. But I know some consumers, when you can't avoid it, then you get a little touchy subject." Later, in the same interview, he confirmed that while Rage will include its own brand of online pass, it won't include always-on DRM. That doesn't mean we won't see it in other games id Software works on in the future, however, as he did go on to champion its use.

With Rage's plan sounding suspiciously similar to some sort of reverse day-one DLC, there're sure to be more than a handful of gamers who take issue with the decision. While publishers do have to take steps to protect their industry, what I don't understand is why Willits is trying to downplay the fun-factor of running through the sewer missions Rage is locking with an online pass. If it's true that "most people will never even see it" and that skipping the section doesn't "detract" anything from your experience, then why would this actually affect whether or not a gamer buys the game new or used?

Source: Eurogamer.net

well...

screw you too id

that sounds... pretty shitty. now i will probably miss this game entirely. meh

edit:

ToastiestZombie:
I thought bad things when i read the title, but now I know that its only small parts of the SP taht are being cut for used palyers. In my opinion this is the right way to do DRM.

no, it is not the right way to do DRM, because it is punishing gamers who have still legitimately bought a copy of the game, but could not afford to do so first hand.

I thought bad things when i read the title, but now I know that its only small parts of the SP taht are being cut for used palyers. In my opinion this is the right way to do DRM.

Next time I want to buy a used Mercedes, I'll call official Mercedes dealership to ask them if they're gonna cut my brakes if I don't give them a piece of that action.

This is fuckin' stupid. Used games market should be no different than any other market for used stuff. This kind of behavior can only increase piracy. There should be a law against this.

correct me if I'm wrong but won't pirates hack the game anyway so you get the full single player portion? If that is not true then this makes sense. If a pirated version is available though that is better then what you can get from a used version aren't they shooting themselves in the foot?

I think they would be better off getting some type of % of sales on used games (from major retailers at least). Perhaps 10% of the value of any used game sale should go to the original company that produced it.

Umm... they are actually "locking" parts of the single player for used copies? Thats new... not to good, but new.

I had a big diatribe here... but in the end it doesn't really matter all that much. Rage doesn't look like anything earth shattering, and I play games such as this exclusively on the PC, so I couldn't buy it used if I wanted to. Part of me still hates id for agreeing that always on DRM is a good idea. I may buy this game, I may not. Time will tell since there are so many good games coming out.

Well, it's a good thing I'll be buying it New. At some point. Better not be anything TOO good in those hatches. Or a fucking LOST reference.

If you buy it used, you ain't supporting the developers, just like the pirates do. Don't see anything wrong with it, as long as this new little feature doesn't affect the legit buyers.

Oh, god forbid we lose access to a sewer level; that's the sort of fresh and innovative content that I've been waiting for in this genre. I better buy it new.

This is perfectly fine, much better than the other crap publishers force on us.

Welp, that settles it, Tim Willits is an ass.

I still have all my respect for Carmack though, that guy has done a lot.

I'm normally against all this crap but I'm reading all this with a resounding meh. It only hurts gamestop and ebay so whatever. Pirates get a fully functional game copy. New buyers get a fully functional game copy. 2nd hand buyers are boned but does that really matter at all?

Here is the funny part. How does hurting 2nd hand buyers increase the number of people willing to shell out $60 for your game? Answer is it doesn't. It just means the 2nd hand buyers will play something else. Congrats Bethesda/ID, you pissed some people off, wasted a bunch of development time your little lock, and gained nothing from it.

Whatever makes them feel better I guess.

Whelp the consumers are definately the enemy har har har.

ImprovizoR:
Next time I want to buy a used Mercedes, I'll call official Mercedes dealership to ask them if they're gonna cut my brakes if I don't give them a piece of that action.

This is fuckin' stupid. Stop punishing gamers already. This kind of behavior can only increase piracy.

Or you could, you know, buy the game new and actually support the developer? Rather than the, "Fuck you, I want to buy your game at a cheaper price, and not let any of the money go back to you, and you're a piece of shit for wanting to make a profit off of the sale of one of your games." attitude you've got going now.

I don't get why people are all up in arms about this. RAGE is going to be a massive game by the way all of the news stories seem to say about it, if it's a good game it'll be worth the money to buy it new. If you really want to save money and buy it used, then you're paying for a lesser experience. I see no issue in this.

You really want to blame somebody: Blame GameStop for not giving a portion of their 100% gain on a used game being sold back to the developers.

suitepee7:
it is punishing gamers who have still legitimately bought a copy of the game, but could not afford to do so first hand.

It is also punishing gamers like myself, who, even if I do buy the game new, still cannot access the content, or any DLC, as my internet is not compatible with my Playstation.
So, fuck id (never thought i'd type that). You certainly won't get my money when I buy this game.

EDIT: Although, it doesn't seem like much is getting cut, but if those are some of the best bits of the game, it's a pretty stupid decision.

I don't think this trend is going anywhere fast, we have to decide whether we bite the bullet now and miss out completely on some very good games. Or just buy them and in doing so tell the publishers and developers that what they're doing is fine and dandy.

This actually doesn't sound to bad. By it's description, it's certainly not the worst case of deprivation to resale that I've heard. But it's still a bit of a dick move. It doesn't accomplish anything because the people who buy second hand aren't going to buy new just because they miss out on a few things. They just bypass the game entirely.

So less people experience the game and they make very little extra money. And possibly miss out on new fans who buy their newer games because they were unexpectedly impressed by their chance buy in the bargain bin.

First BF game I played was the first Bad company, because I found it in a bargain bin in Game. I was so impressed that I bought BF:BC2. (single player wasn't as good, but I still enjoy the multiplayer.)

If that's the case, I hope Rage bombs hard. To rip people off like that is unconscionable.

If they wanted to add something like this they should've just locked out the online factor into a pass since it's costing them to keep servers maints and running. Locking out single player gameplay is just stupid, even if it isn't something that is part of the main quests.

Scizophrenic Llama:

ImprovizoR:

This is fuckin' stupid. Stop punishing gamers already. This kind of behavior can only increase piracy.

Or you could, you know, buy the game new and actually support the developer? Rather than the, "Fuck you, I want to buy your game at a cheaper price, and not let any of the money go back to you, and you're a piece of shit for wanting to make a profit off of the sale of one of your games." attitude you've got going now.

I don't get why people are all up in arms about this. RAGE is going to be a massive game by the way all of the news stories seem to say about it, if it's a good game it'll be worth the money to buy it new. If you really want to save money and buy it used, then you're paying for a lesser experience. I see no issue in this.

You really want to blame somebody: Blame GameStop for not giving a portion of their 100% gain on a used game being sold back to the developers.

That's extremely judgemental. The gamer who looks for a bargain is not in the wrong here. It's the companies.

They should be forced to give a percentage of used sales to the developers. They've created the conditions that allow gamers to try and make money back on their purchases, and other gamers to buy officially for slightly cheaper. The gamer isn't giving the dev a 'FU'. They're just trying to buy games they might not otherwise be able to afford.

While this is better than other methods, why not, ya know, PUNISH GAMESTOP. THEY are the ones who are taking every cent of used game sales, not the consumer!

Scizophrenic Llama:

ImprovizoR:

I still don't understand why they just don't lock out patches for used copies. That way everyone who buys the disk gets what's on the disk. The patches are for people who bought new and supported the dev, so they get support back. People who buy used don't get support, since they didn't support the dev.

Oh well...

I guess I'll just have to wait for the inevitable Steam sale to purchase your game id. Probably when it hits $25. I'm not going to support this kind of practice with a full priced purchase.

wulfy42:
correct me if I'm wrong but won't pirates hack the game anyway so you get the full single player portion?

Piracy and cracking/hacking your own game aren't the same thing, but you can be sure it wont take more then a couple of hours for someone to fix their asinine bullshit.

If they have a problem with the way retailers handle second hand games then they should educate people howmuch their shit is worth and not just take a chainsaw to their fanbase.

they should at least release a demo and I think I,m the only one who agrees with this plan.
PS
unless this requires a 24/7 internet connection (which is utter BS) I get one-time activations but 24/7 is annoying resulting in a HUGE piracy backlash.

since I,m primarily a PC gamer I might get the PC version that is probably going to use Steam making this not a big deal for me.

PPS
if you want consumers to buy your game new add a OST and kick ass poster with every new copy reward the consumer don,t punish them!

Mike Kayatta:

Hah, that's funny, I read something simelar. Went along the lines of "Istvan cuts Rage from his 'to buy' list.'

Scizophrenic Llama:

ImprovizoR:

Why punishing customers? Why not deal with the retailers who are the real cause of this? Find a compromise, everyone happy = more sales.
Finally, how about just making good fun original games without being so insecure you have to blame piracy or used sales for all the fails? Oh wait, their budget is so bloated they can't afford that! Oh the irony!

Well then. IF I buy get this game, i will IMMEDIATELY be downloading an EXE crack so I don't have to deal with any of their shit. Your fucked up bullshit won't work on me ID/Beth, come at me bro.

There goes any chance I'll ever buy it.

Mike Kayatta:
-snip snip-

Hey, you're pretty new here. Just saying hello.

Scizophrenic Llama:

ImprovizoR:

Oh yes, that's totally what I'm thinking when I go to buy used, not "I just want to save a little bit of money and maybe buy 2 or 3 games instead of just 1" but "Screw the developers MUAHAHAHAHAHA!". I don't like gamestops' used profits policy, but I don't think I'm evil for wanting to save a little money. They aren't entitled to my money, it's my decision if I want to save. I didn't tell gamestop to keep all the money, I do think they should change it. But I don't have alot of money usually, so getting a game for 10 dollars is a pretty good deal. It means I can get more than about 2 a year.

Wow, screw you too I.D.

At this point, it's becoming harder and harder for me to purchase current gen games because of crap like this. Why can't I just buy it and play? What if it's years and years down the line when Rage is no longer selling? What if I just can't afford the $60 for your game? You already got your money from a person buying it, so why throw a fit and do dumb crap like this?

I'm only 17, and even I recall fondly the times that when you buy a game, you get that game, unimportant parts and all.

What is this?

...So it's like a middle school teacher rapping you on the knuckles for coming to school late?

I'm no advocate of used games sales. In fact I STILL don't get how people can genuinely separate it from bona fide Piracy; In either case, the publisher and Dev don't get a single cent from your purchase. What changes? The fact that your being conned by Gamestop? Well that makes YOU an idiot for getting fucking CONNED. Why is id being portrayed as the villain here?

I think as far as piracy fighting tools go, this isn't that bad of an idea.
Here's another idea id. Instead of making whole levels exclusives.......why not a gun? Remove one weapon (probably the shotgun as it's the most iconic) from the game entirely. You just can't equip it, if you're playing a used/pirated version of the game? You can still obviously do every single quest, but you just won't have as much fun.

Make pirates WANT to buy your game. Don't make normal people WANT to avoid it.

And this is going to stop modders from unlocking the content how?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 19 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here