Rumor: 2D-loving 3DS Coming Next Year

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Rumor: 2D-loving 3DS Coming Next Year

A revamped 3DS and an extra analog stick may be in store for gamers in 2012.

After a less-than-stellar launch last June, disappointing sales and skeptical investors have kept the 3DS from becoming the shining gem Nintendo had initially hoped. The company's rescue response has been swift, already including free games for early 3DS adopters, an unprecedentedly abrupt $80 price cut, and even a personal apology letter from the big man himself, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. Now, it seems like one more lifeboat might be headed toward the Titanic. A French news site is reporting an upcoming major overhaul to the handheld, including a second circle pad and a heightened focus on 2D gaming.

According to 01Net's inside source, Nintendo is preparing to roll out a new, modified version of the 3DS which, aside from adding new controls, "radically tones down" its 3D capabilities. Ever weary that current 3DS owners may feel bamboozled by sudden improvements for new buyers, Nintendo will also reportedly be selling an external accessory to give "old" 3DS systems the same second analog stick as its freshly redesigned counterparts.

The alleged insider goes on to report that Nintendo has already asked "a select group of developers" to get to work making games for its upcoming iteration of the console, as well as an accessory-modified version of the current 3DS. This secret source also asserts that many third-party developers are growing increasingly frustrated by the way Nintendo has handled this kerfuffle, claiming shortages in 3DS development kits and long waiting lists to receive one of the paltry 300 units being produced per month.

Supposedly, all of these additions are slated for a 2012 release, though Nintendo has yet to confirm any of this. I'm generally not one for rumors, but 01Net does has some decent credentials under its virtual belt, releasing accurate specs for both the Wii U and the PlayStation Vita prior to official announcement. No matter what happens with the 3DS, we can be certain that Nintendo won't sit idly by while gamers and stockholders continue to grumble. Whether that revitalization will entail a re-branded console and external accessory, only time will tell.

Source: 01Net via Eurogamer

3DS isn't doing so hot right now. Especially lacking content. The original DS wasn't so hot either, though after remodeling it to the Lite, it took off. Perhaps this will happen to the 3DS, because if not, Sony is in a prime position to take the handheld lead.

I think Nintendo is taking the Capcom approach.

Wow, more proof that no one, ever, under any circumstances, should be an early adopter of Nintendo hardware.

I should never have bought the 3DS on launch.

I hate you Nintendo.

megs1120:
Wow, more proof that no one, ever, under any circumstances, should be an early adopter of Nintendo hardware.

Also this. I'm extremely glad I waited. I KNEW this would happen.

The important thing is they learned their lesson that gimmicks don't sell too hot. wait no they didn't... So now what are they going to call it? 3/2D DS? Suppose that's not too weird of a title anymore, thank you kingdom hearts.

I'll probably purchase the revamp I'm sure if 3D is taken out of the mix depending on what the game schedule looks right. If everyone jumps ship forget it, but assuming most rpg companies are on like the DS lineup then there will be some decent games to pick up for it.

Games games games, Nintendo. You got so caught up in your own 3D hype, you forgot why people buy games consoles in the first place. You can't launch a console with a library of remakes and sequels, regardless of how good the originals were. It needs to differentiate itself from previous consoles; people aren't going to look at the graphics and the 3D and say "wow, that's new". They're going to look at the games and say "well that looks pretty cool, but I can already play these on my normal DS, just with normal graphics, but it'll be a lot cheaper".

At the moment, whenever I see the 3DS, all I see is the next iteration of the Nintendo DS;, just shinier and with 3D. What I don't see is a brand new handheld console in its own right.

Forget about making a new 3DS and focus all your energy on making new, original titles.

I bought the 3DS after the price cut and felt bad for the people who were duped, but it looks like no one can escape the ripoff circle. Why can't you just leave what you have out there and quit making new crap?
Apparently the winning move in this game is not to play.

Well, Nintendo made the mistake of not ensuring there were quality launch titles for the system that took good advantage of its capabilities. They rushed it out with weak software support and now they're paying for it. At least the Wii came packaged with Wii Sports and they had Twilight Princess as a launch title, or if not at launch, soon after. Right now, the 3DS has pretty much just OoT and a few fighters. If I was Nintendo, I'd worry more about making more first-party games and dev kits rather than changing the hardware so quickly. You want people to buy your system? Give 'em some games to play on it!

No wonder Legends was axed, I predict the Death of the 3DS in 2 years.

At least they're consistent in their behavior. Honestly, was anyone surprised by this?

Andronicus:

Forget about making a new 3DS and focus all your energy on making new, original titles.

You forget they haven't done this since the Gamecube.

Ooh, a new iteration of the 3DS! Surprising! Good thing I waited, I'm much rather have this. I don't care about 3D and a second analog pad sounds awesome.

megs1120:

This.

So... screw the 3D (which was the main selling point of the system) and lets make something that looks more like the Vita?

How are the "old" 3DS models suppose to play a game designed for two analog nubs? Man, this entire year for Nintendo handhelds has been epic fail.

megs1120:

Rumors aren't proof until they're truth.

I figured this would be coming. I'm glad I held off on buying one. Yay for less emphasis on 3D!

Lord Beautiful:
At least they're consistent in their behavior. Honestly, was anyone surprised by this?

Nope, after the abysmal launch they had I was wondering if they were gonna come out with a new version of that like they did with the DS.

This is a lesson for all of us, never be an early adopter of Nintendo because you will be screwed over.

Thwy just seem to be trying to piss off their 3DS buyers now.

Welp, I'm glad I choosing to buy Nintendo consoles until way later. I'll do the same with the Wii-U. God help Nintendo if the thing bombs.

Well... I remember joking about this kind of thing to a friend a long while ago, saying how the 3DS was gonna end up similar to the Virtual Boy in terms of how it was a complete joke.

Here's to proof of it! Also, I say Nintendo should drop its little ambassador program, and let everyone who bought the piece of junk at its $250 price get the new revision for free. Hell, let everyone just trade in their old shit 3DS, and get the new version! It's not like you guys could bomb any harder right now (besides NoA of course)...

Also, this must be doing WONDERS for encouraging people to buy the Wii U at release I'm betting! Right guys?

All this ordeal reminds me a bit of the days of the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and it's multiple accessories, although admittedly, this one isn't as decent as the Genesis.

I'm still very skeptical about the 3DS, right now, the PSVita looks more promising and this is coming from a Nintendo fanboy that bought (almost) every single handheld released by Nintendo.

The lack of a second analog stick irritated the shit out of me when there is so much room, and it's so damn obvious. It allows so much more versatility, and would possibly get quality shooters on a Nintendo handheld. At least it would allow 3rd person games to have working camera controls..

Mike Kayatta:
Supposedly, all of these additions are slated for a 2012 release, though Nintendo has yet to confirm any of this. I'm generally not one for rumors, but 01Net does has some decent credentials under its virtual belt, releasing accurate specs for both the Wii U and the PlayStation Vita prior to official announcement. No matter what happens with the 3DS, we can be certain that Nintendo won't sit idly by while gamers and stockholders continue to grumble. Whether that revitalization will entail a re-branded console and external accessory, only time will tell.

The fact that Nintendo a new DS every single year with minor tweaks inlcuding smaller size and people loved that leads me to believe this is true. If history has proven that people are stupid enough to buy the exact same handheld multiple times then why not keep selling it to them.

I don't know if this is good news or bad news since I was intending to get a 3DS for X-mas, I may have to hold out if a better version is coming soon afterwards. To be honest Nintendo, the reason I haven't yet bought a 3DS is that you've released roughly one game I'd actually buy for it so far, just get a few more good ones out there and once again my money will be yours!

ITT: Rumors are instantly true, even if nobody can seem to get their story straight.

So the news here is that Nintendo releases a new handheld system, only to release an updated version of that system that offers one, maybe two new features, a year later?

I really cant understand the hate for the 3DS, especially from the ones that bought it before the price cut..

I did that and i am now in that Ambassador program so i will get a shitload of old games for free that otherwise would cost a fortune..

I dont regret that i bought it, i knew it wouldnt be my primary source of games and more a device for use on long trips or other places where my PC obviosly cant be..

And for those who hate the 3D that much.. You know you can turn it off, right?

Ninjamedic:

Andronicus:

You forget they haven't done this since the Gamecube.

The Wii and DS offered new things, and to relatively new and untapped audiences (adult women, seniors, teenage girls, general casual markets, etc). Most of this was through smart marketing, I'll admit, but the 3DS isn't going to capture the imagination of the same audiences; they aren't going to see the 3DS as the must-have, next-gen sequel to their DS, but just as an unnecessary (and expensive) upgrade, like the DSi to the DS Lite. There just isn't enough to differentiate the two, and (personally) I think it's mainly to do with the games.

I know the site has guessed correctly at stuff before, but I'm not buying this.

Firstly, making a new version of the console so soon- with superior capabilities- would be shooting themselves in the foot. The console is already selling poorly, but this move would mean any of the original units left unsold would basically have to be written as people would simply wait for the new one. Nintendo would have to basically re-manufacture a new (and probably more expensive) console all over again to keep up with the current level of demand.

Also, I'm not even sure how a circle pad peripheral would work. Keep in mind that Nintendo "add-on" rumours crop up very often. In the last days of the GBA magazines were confidently reporting that they were going to release a peripheral to increase it's graphical capabilities, and the Wii had been dogged with similar rumours about a HD upscaler for years (although third parties did actually make those) before the Wii U was announced.

As for the "lack of 3D" thing, this sort of illustrates how internet rumours go through a chinese-whispers series of embellishments. This morning the rumour was that Nintendo was simply rebranding the console, including a name change, to downplay 3D, presumably to get away from the "3D will melt your eyes" stigma. Now the actual console is being altered to lessen the capability?

(Incidentally, since you can already turn it off any time you want I fail to see how they could do this short of removing the ability completely).

So what's really going on here? Using the Wii U as an anology ("Wii U is much more powerful than the Xbox 360" actually meant "Wii U is about as powerful"), I'm guessing Nintendo is just going to refocus their marketing to downplay the 3D aspect of the console. Possibly there's a 3DS lite or equivalent in the works, but I'm not betting on the circle pad thing being true.

Andronicus:

The Wii and DS offered new things, and to relatively new and untapped audiences (adult women, seniors, teenage girls, general casual markets, etc). Most of this was through smart marketing, I'll admit, but the 3DS isn't going to capture the imagination of the same audiences; they aren't going to see the 3DS as the must-have, next-gen sequel to their DS, but just as an unnecessary (and expensive) upgrade, like the DSi to the DS Lite. There just isn't enough to differentiate the two, and (personally) I think it's mainly to do with the games.

I was talking from the point of view of their older fanbase, which haven't really had a reason to buy anything nintendo after the GBA. You'd think they would resurrect F-zero, Pikmin or actually make a good Star Fox game. Honestly I haven't seen a Nintendo first-party game worth buying in a long while.

Findlebob:

At least they won't be pissing off that many people

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the last generation of dedicated portable gaming devices. Smartphones are just getting cheaper and cheaper and the games get better and better.

There really is no need for it just like there isn't any need for a wristwatch.

I hope this isn't true. It sounds like flailing, and for all its faults, the current iteration of the company isn't one I want to see take a nosedive.

I suspect the 3DS's real problem is it hasn't found its killer app, yet. Some good stuff, some shovelware, but little unique, little you couldn't get elsewhere.

If I were the big "N", I'd be getting to work on making 3D movies available on the 3DS, and expanding its online/downloadable options. (Hey, it could hardly be a less effective tactic than the one outlined in this rumor...) An innovative game of the type you often see from the small indy developers that makes effective and interesting use of 3D, downloads in a couple of minutes, and costs $8 could be just what N needs.

Ne1butme:

Findlebob:

At least they won't be pissing off that many people

I gave you a few claps for that.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook