Shepard Can Lose in Mass Effect 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Shepard Can Lose in Mass Effect 3

The stakes are higher than ever in Mass Effect 3, says BioWare.

Ancient machines threaten the Earth, and only you are in a position to stop them: What do you do? Well, one of the things you can do is make a complete mess of it and let angry mechanical star gods destroy the whole planet. BioWare has let slip that one of the possible endings in Mass Effect 3 is that Commander Shepard can fail to stop the Reapers, thus dooming the Earth, and the entire galaxy.

BioWare's Mike Gamble revealed that this baleful possibility existed, although obviously he wouldn't go into too much detail - or indeed, any detail at all - as to how it came about. However, he did say that the stakes were higher in Mass Effect 3 than they'd ever been before. "In Mass Effect 3, the theme is literally galactic extinction, so the choices that you make can have that much larger consequences, and because of that, you think a little bit harder before making them."

He said that it was difficult to account for all the decisions a player might make, not to mention the different combinations of decisions, but that having so many options made the story better. "A lot of the satisfaction [in Mass Effect 3] comes out of the choices that you made, so when a story concludes a certain way, the way it concluded was in part because of the choices you made." He also said that the choices increased the game's replayability, as people could go back and try out different branches of the story.

This isn't the first time that BioWare has included a "bad ending" in a Mass Effect game: in Mass Effect 2 it was possible for Shepard to die at the end, but then - as will undoubtedly be the case in Mass Effect 3 - the player only had him or herself to blame. I like the idea that victory isn't guaranteed, as it helps make the story all the more immersive. You'll probably defeat the Reapers at the end of the game, but when you do, it will be the result of - potentially - three games worth of good decisions.

Mass Effect 3 comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 6th.

Source: NowGamer

*cough* Origin *cough*

That's what's going to sell/kill ME3 now.

This is absolutely true. Origin does seem like it'll be the nail in the coffin for ME3. I have to admit though I assumed that considering you could lose your entire squad in the suicide mission in ME2 that something like this would be possible for the 3rd.

I'm Commander Shepherd, and I don't lose!"

(really looking forward to this!)

Too bad because of the Origin factor in the equation.

The Mass Effect trilogy is too good to catch flak from those knuckleheads at EA.

Wait ... exactly the same feature as ME2 had? Only now they expect me to believe that holograms can stab? I'm sorry. I liked Mass Effect when it was still slightly Science Fiction.

With "visceral" "edgy" "insert bad hype here" stabby holographic UIs they completely lost me on Science part.
When they started outsourcing their design decisions to Facebook votes, then added EA Origin, the case was shut for me.

Sad that all BioWare PR is now handled by EA, people that brought you Dead Space 2 comercial ...

I thought we knew this a long time ago? I mean of course I was expecting this. I would have been surprised and annoyed if this didn't exist.

Interested again. Though personally, I would actually prefer a no win scenario. No matter what you do, how hard you fight, who you recruit, all you can do is minimize losses and buy time for a few ships of refugees to escape while the universe burns.

Every good rpg should have this option against the big bad. Pen and paper rpgs have had this for years.

I'm failing to see how this is news. I've played a lot of games where you can lose. Its called losing. You die and get a game over screen. Most games I play these days have that happen. You then start again from your last save and don't fuck it up.

Mass Effect 3 is going the Battlefield 3 way: it will be great and solid and epic on its own as a game, but all the Origin-related bullshit EA's pulling might become a deal-breaker, and decide if these games will be a flop or a flick, on the PC at least, since it's the platform concerned.
I sure hope Valve gets EA games back to Steam, or else their PC sales will drown because PC gamers will feel betrayed. For fuck's sake EA, can't we just go back to online registration of CD Keys as DRM and Steam DRM for Steam copies? At the least, let gamers buy on Steam, get Steam DRM and DLC.
I don't think they even understand they'll lose less money from Steam taking a small cut from sales than from gamers refusing to put up with Origin.

OutrageousEmu:
I'm failing to see how this is news. I've played a lot of games where you can lose. Its called losing. You die and get a game over screen. Most games I play these days have that happen. You then start again from your last save and don't fuck it up.

That isn't what this is, this is when you scrape your way through the game, only to reach an end cutscene that lets you know that your efforts were so puny that the reapers won anyway.

Personally I think that's a brilliant idea, I like the idea that after three games I could fuck the whole thing up and just lose.

Question: will the Shepard fails ending to ME3 be anything other than an extended game over screen? Because if not, you could just as easily say the marine in Doom fails to defeat the legions hell just because you stopped playing.

Drakulea:

The Mass Effect trilogy is too good to catch flak from those knuckleheads at EA.

Can someone please tell me what Origin is? Everyone goes on about it but I've not seen anything which explains exactly what it is and what it does. I can only assume it's some kind of DRM.

Revelo:

Drakulea:

Can someone please tell me what Origin is? Everyone goes on about it but I've not seen anything which explains exactly what it is and what it does. I can only assume it's some kind of DRM.

It's bascially EA's version of Steam.

In that it's a steaming pile of shit.

Generic Gamer:

OutrageousEmu:

That isn't what this is, this is when you scrape your way through the game, only to reach an end cutscene that lets you know that your efforts were so puny that the reapers won anyway.

Yes, because you failed. Getting a failure condition is still a pretty standard thing. Unless its talking about you failing because of a decision you made 3 hours ago. Then thats probably one of the biggest dick moves I've ever heard.

I'm happy about this news, after ME2 I was expecting this to be the case but it's still reassuring to hear it. Your choices matter more when you can completely fuck up and lose. After all, if this is about all life in the galaxy then not being able to fail makes it feel pretty insignificant.

Daystar Clarion:

Revelo:

Drakulea:

It's bascially EA's version of Steam.

In that it's a steaming pile of shit.

EA can't do anything without causing outcry, that little rapscallion he is. =P

On a serious note, do not want then!

Revelo:

Drakulea:

Why don't ya Google it ya lazy skaaaa.... I mean " Allow me to enlighten you. " *crooked smile*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/112559-Internet-Explodes-Over-Origins-Invasion-of-Privacy

Origin is spyware, pure and simple. Worse yet, EA doesn't need this. At all. It could be a dominant force on the market without needing to pry into people's computers. Even without Origins EA could still make truckloads of money. And yet it pulls stuff like that.

Origin is naked, and utterly gratuitous, greed, pure and simple.

Revelo:

Drakulea:

Some online service similar to steam. Just made by EA and they keep the rights to do what ever they want with your games, you, your house and your dog (if you don't have one, you will be forced to buy one just so that they have rights over him).

OutrageousEmu:
Yes, because you failed. Getting a failure condition is still a pretty standard thing. Unless its talking about you failing because of a decision you made 3 hours ago. Then thats probably one of the biggest dick moves I've ever heard.

Did you play the second one? I'd imagine they'll handle it like that, with different numbers of bad decisions giving you a progressively worse ending.

Drakulea:
Even without Origins EA could still make truckloads of money. And yet it pulls stuff like that.

Origin is naked, and utterly gratuitous, greed, pure and simple.

Essentially, EA as we have always know them to be. =(

BiH-Kira:

Some online service similar to steam. Just made by EA and they keep the rights to do what ever they want with your games, you, your house and your dog (if you don't have one, you will be forced to buy one just so that they have rights over him).

NEVER! I'm a Cat person!!!

This is already receiving too much hype. Most likely you won't be able to get the bad ending unless you actually intend to do so. Just look at ME2; the only way Shepard could die was

or

Most choices in ME games have never mattered apart from the occasional "YOU ARE OUR SAVIOR" or "YOU HUMAN DICKHEAD!" you get from various NPCs anyways.

PingoBlack:
Wait ... exactly the same feature as ME2 had? Only now they expect me to believe that holograms can stab? I'm sorry. I liked Mass Effect when it was still slightly Science Fiction.

Slighty Science Fiction...? How is Mass Effect 'slightly' Science Fiction?

Are you seriously saying that this sort of thing is the most 'out there' thing in the Mass Effect universe?

Generic Gamer:

OutrageousEmu:

Did you play the second one? I'd imagine they'll handle it like that, with different numbers of bad decisions giving you a progressively worse ending.

Yes, the end, where you lose, and then just restart and go about it again, making sure you don't lose this time. Realistically, you'd have to suck pretty bad to have gotten the Sheperd Dies ending of Mass Effect 2 - it was a game over screen, just one that still gave you a Trophy.

Won't be getting me3 anyways(unless EA will change their TOS and EULA).

Valenza:
Slighty Science Fiction...? How is Mass Effect 'slightly' Science Fiction?

Are you seriously saying that this sort of thing is the most 'out there' thing in the Mass Effect universe?

It was out there all along, but consistent. Most good SciFi is consistent tho.

But when a holo-UI became a "visceral stabbing weapon" ... I'm outta there. BTW, did you hear about HuttaBall?

That will certainly build tension as you make choices in Mass Effect 3 because you'd be afraid of getting it wrong. I just hope that small, minor decisions I made in the first game don't come back in a major way. Also I didn't do many side missions and I sure hope that doesn't come back in a bad way.
Whatever the case, it'll be a pretty intense experience. Though I imagine I might be among the people who end up just waiting a few months before playing it so that they can read up on GameFAQs about what are the 'right' choices.

My Shepard has bigger things to worry about than saving the galaxy! Like what Ashley will do to him when she finds out what he's been doing with Miranda!

You mean kinda like how you could "die" in ME2? Which requires a greater amount of effort to screw up on purpose than the effort needed to get the "everyone lives" ending. Seriously, knowing Bioware there will be one ending where shit hits the fan, but it'll require deliberate failing or spectacular incompetence on the part of the player. Anyone with a functioning brain and basic motor skills will get at least the "shitty" good ending...

Not buying it. 50 bucks says it's going to be another one of those "purposely sabotage your own efforts" deals, and not something that actually requires thought or anything to that extent.

1000€ says you automatically receive the best/happiest/golden/true ending by always picking the Paragon option.

I dont wanna fail.
But im glad theyre putting in the possibility of it.
Not every story can end happily! And it can make the story better fi it doesnt.

Shepard can lose? that makes it sound like its actually damn hard to do so (as others have said much like the shepard dies ending of 2) so I guess the reapers were not much of a threat after all if all I have to do to win is not play the game like a complete tool.
As for origin well I kind of expect this thing from EA by now.

ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh ohmygosh
I really liked how in MA2 Sheppard could die, and if there will be a way to win by "losing" in MA3...that is going to make me happy.
Yeah, I love games where main character dies / loses, instead of "One man vs the universe" (glares at Master Chief)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here