Bloodsuckers Return in Skyrim

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Bloodsuckers Return in Skyrim

You can't get away from vampires, even in the frozen reaches of Skyrim.

If you thought dragons were a lot to deal with, then I have some bad news for you: Skyrim has vampires too. In the Elder Scrolls games, vampires are the result of the disease Porphyric Hemophilia, which is quite easily curable in its early stages, but much harder to get rid of once it's taken hold.

The bloodsuckers were discovered by Ripten during a press event; two vampires hiding out in a cave in a mountain not far from a village, guarded by legions of less chatty undead like skeletons and wraiths. The journalist in question didn't contract vampirism, but since it's been possible to do so in pretty much every Elder Scrolls game ever made, it seems a safe bet that it will be possible in Skyrim, too.

Becoming a vampire does actually have its advantages in the Elder Scrolls games: In Oblivion, for example, the player became tougher and gained new, innate powers, like being able to turn invisible and charm people. There were downsides too though, like taking damage from the sun, and having people refuse to talk to you because of your condition, so you have to weigh up whether it's really worth it.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim comes out for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on November 11th.

Source: via VG247

Well this isn't big news, what would be news is werewolves, because those were badass in Morrowind

Agow95:
Well this isn't big news, what would be news is werewolves, because those were badass in Morrowind

Indeed. Being a vampire always sucked ass, while werewolves were awesome.

I want a fucking were mamooth!

That would be so awesome!

Besides, Vampires, suck

imnotparanoid:

Besides, Vampires, suck

That was just too obvious.

OT: Yeah... I really hated being a vampire in Oblivion. So much that I started an entire dungeon again when I got the disease from a fight. Then the second time I went through it I saved after every fight to make sure I could just hop back to that bit.

It was just annoying, really.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Agow95:

According to the game lore, Skyrim also has werebears.

This game needs to have werebears.

No_Remainders:

imnotparanoid:

Besides, Vampires, suck

That was just too obvious.

OT: Yeah... I really hated being a vampire in Oblivion. So much that I started an entire dungeon again when I got the disease from a fight. Then the second time I went through it I saved after every fight to make sure I could just hop back to that bit.

It was just annoying, really.

I think it took at least 24 or more hours to get it.. and even then you can cure it easily, and use Cure potion before you get Advanced stage of disease.

Though I hardly found the use in being a Vampire, even if with mods enhancing it... can't do half the quests that are done in daylight, go to shops (THE SUN IT BURRNSS) or do Arena without constantly eating up. And even that is dumb and boring - go to waterworks at night, drink some homeless guy, profit..

Isn't Skyrim set in a cold, frozen region? I imagine that without lovely warm blood flowing through their bodies, Vampires might have a little trouble with freezing to un-death.

Agow95:

Ring of Hircine please.

Mortons4ck:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Agow95:

Knowing Bethesdas design philosophy, Skyrim is more likely to feature a chair on top of a mountain and nothing else.

Awww, I was hoping for Vampire Dragons.

Mortons4ck:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Agow95:

Also, where are the wereboars?
We also need weresharks. Only then I would add this game to my extreme buy list.

In Oblivion it was fun to goof off as a vampire, but a few times I had contracted it and didn't know untill I went to equip something. It got to be an annoyance to avoid. Also +1 vote for Werebears.

Agow95:

I hear that, especially as I never got to play GOTY morrowind. F*** the sparkly b******s! We wanna see some werewolves!

GiantRaven:
Isn't Skyrim set in a cold, frozen region? I imagine that without lovely warm blood flowing through their bodies, Vampires might have a little trouble with freezing to un-death.

I don't think vampires are even undead in Elder Scrolls just infected people who can't be in sunlight unless they are the Cyrodiil clan. Being a vampire in Elder Scrolls is pretty damn bland, really.

Also, dear Bethesda. Please don't overhaul my characters facial features this time when I become a vampire.

Oh no... I hated them in Oblivion.

Agow95:

Ninja'd by the first post. Damn.

So yeah, what I was gonna say was that I'm not particularly fussed about vampires. Becoming infected with lycanthropy whilst playing Daggerfall was what really hooked me on the TES franchise, and I was more than a little disappointed to see it dropped from Oblivion. Fingers crossed this time though, as I'm hoping because werewolves in Morrowind were found only in Nordic territories, Bethesda will have used that fairly blatant link to bring the wolves back in Skyrim.

Vampirism is always fun, but what I'm really hoping for is lycantrophy - preferably in several forms! Who doesn't want to play as a wereboar? Just once?

I remember I became a vampire in Oblivion, and when I wanted to get rid of it, I went to the Mage's guild but they wouldn't even talk to me. Turns out, when I was just joining every guild these was at once, I had stolen from a member of the guild and I had to find 50 of two kinds of plants before they would talk to me about curing me. I was like "Fuck that shit" and just dealed with being a vampire.

Roganzar:
Awww, I was hoping for Vampire Dragons.

I want to be able to make/sire a vampire dragon. I'd like to be able to turn NPCs in to my own private vampire army.

Vibhor:
Also, where are the wereboars?
We also need weresharks. Only then I would add this game to my extreme buy list.

They're in Highrock and Hammerfell. I'd love to see them return as well, unfortunately I suspect it will be a long time before we return to either province.

Please no horrible face ageing! Mind you, they seem to have listened to a lot of fan complaints, so I'm hopeful that becoming a vampire won't make you look like Gordon Ramsay's nutsack.

I tend to just hunt vampires rather than become one though, so there better be an Order of the Virtuous Blood type quest so I can sell vampire remains for high prices.

I loved being a vampire in both Oblivion and Morrowind. Wasn't a massive fan of the aged facial features, but the powers were great. Also fun breaking into Skooma dens to suck drug-addled blood, then breaking out into the moonlight to find shelter from the rising sun.

Also, fuck Werewolves, you furry bastards.

Joshimodo:
I loved being a vampire in both Oblivion and Morrowind. Wasn't a massive fan of the aged facial features, but the powers were great. Also fun breaking into Skooma dens to suck drug-addled blood, then breaking out into the moonlight to find shelter from the rising sun.

While i disagree entirely, lawl.

Anyway. I would like to see both lycanthropes of various kinds for veriety sake and i am glad vampirism is sticking around because lets face it, vampirism is a bit rampant in tamriel in general. Not having it in would be silly

Lyri:

Agow95:

Ring of Hircine please.

The best ring ever.

Being a werewolf was really fun in Morrowind, and I spent hours jumping from house to house and randomly killing people. It was also an advantage when I had to fight stronger enemies that were harder to beat.

If they do bring werewolves back I think Skyrim could be greater than it already looks.

Vampires were just meh.

Joshimodo:

Bring it on, glitterboy!

:)

I don't think it occurred to many people that they might not be in skyrim.

Grouchy Imp:

Joshimodo:

Bring it on, glitterboy!

That reminds me in Daggerfall and Morrowind their was a cutscene for your transformation which wasn't their for Oblivion. Hope it gets shown with the transformation.

guise709:

Grouchy Imp:

Joshimodo:

Bring it on, glitterboy!

That reminds me in Daggerfall and Morrowind their was a cutscene for your transformation which wasn't their for Oblivion. Hope it gets shown with the transformation.

The Daggerfall and Morrowind cutscenes were better than the crappy textboxes we were served with in Oblivion, true. Of course, this is all still up in the air. As sunpop points out:

sunpop:
I don't think it occurred to many people that they might not be in skyrim.

I think the overall view is that people would prefer to see the return of werewolves as opposed to vamps. Both would be great, but a lot of people missed werewolves from the last Elder Scrolls (Especially because they included Hircine, but left out lycanthropes. That made no sense.).

FUCK YES!!!

Although I'll probably have to mod the shit out of it and murder all of the "lol Twilight" crowd, but it will be so worth it.

Why not have weremudcrabs?

GiantRaven:

If my lore is correct Skyrim vampire have an affinity for the cold. One clan hides in frozen lakes and drags people under to feed on. The vamps up north are a different breed to ones down south.

Some of the vampires in the TES lore are real badass compared to TESIV ones; seeing as some can turn in mist,bears,wolves,bats,go out in daylight etc...

FrostyChick:

FUCK YES!!!

Although I'll probably have to mod the shit out of it and murder all of the "lol Twilight" crowd, but it will be so worth it.

Somone isn't at all a fan of the vampire genre. Let's hope its more Van Hellsing and Blade (or at least VTMB) than glitter fa vampire-lite.

So it's not one of these guys. At least I won't have to listen to that horrifying, distorted panting when they chase you.

I have to agree with the majority here, vampires are old, give us lycanthropy!
Or hell, while you're at it, go fucking nuts, Bethesda! Invent new mythological creatures, the more the merrier!

The_ModeRazor:
imagehttp://m.blog.hu/pc/pcjatekokelemzes/image/Bloodsucker%20Attack.jpgimage

So it's not one of these guys. At least I won't have to listen to that horrifying, distorted panting when they chase you.

I was thinking the exact same thing. The STALKER series has branded that image of that demonic creature into my mind for all eternity.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here