Terminator 5 Director Could Resurrect Sarah Connor

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Terminator 5 Director Could Resurrect Sarah Connor

A Terminator movie without the mother of the Resistance is no Terminator movie at all.

Justin Lin, who has directed multiple The Fast & the Furious movies and is attached to the Highlander reboot, says that the Terminator movies just aren't the same without Sarah Connor, and that he might look at bringing her back for Terminator 5.

Lin said that Connor's off screen death between the second and third movie, not to mention how little Terminator 3 mentions it, had surprised him, as she had previously been a massive part of the franchise. But she didn't have to stay dead forever, he said, as time travel meant that there was always an avenue for characters to come back to life.

"I think the great thing about this franchise is you have... You can actually have different canons because you have the element of time travel. So, there's a way of kind of respecting all the works but also able to create a new time line," Lin explained.

Of course, the real reason that Sarah Connor didn't get the big send off she deserved was that actress Linda Hamilton didn't want to reprise the role in Terminator 3, and it's not known whether she'd want to in Terminator 5 either. However, according to rumors, Terminator 5 could be a reboot of the series with a new cast, so maybe it could have Connor without Hamilton.

Source: MovieHole

I think I speak for us all when I say this...

Dear people involved in Terminator...

Please, please fuck off.

They should have stopped at T3 as there is nothing else to explain, we know what's going to happen. The saddest thing about is this that I can no longer engorge the Sci-fi dystopian future in which they imagined in T1 and T2.

A reboot? Mira! Mira! Viene una tormenta!

A terminator without Arnold Schwarzeneggeris no terminator at all.

Getting fed up of all these reboots now, movies and games alike. Is there really no more imagination left in the entertainment business anymore?

Pretty soon all we'll be left with is Jersey Shore the movie, or The Hills movie, or Big Brother EXTREME!!!......the movie

Got as far as "who has directed multiple The Fast & the Furious movies" before I knew this was going to be absolutely terribad. Please, please Mr Lin, just fuck off. Can you please do that for me? Don't rape a awesome series into the ground. Don't "reboot" it just to piss all over everything it ever was. Just please, go back to your silly little car movies okay? Cause if you dont... maybe something happens to your brake lines.
Hey, Im just sayin, people have accidents every day. Why do something that could greatly up your chances. After all, karmas a bitch.

wooty:
Jersey Shore the movie

Heh, cant wait till we get a Dead Set version of Jersey Shore. Now that I would watch.

Really? Just, really? They're going to reboot Terminator now?

Is there anything left in the entertainment world that is actually reboot proof? I'm starting to get confused as to why people only seem interested in rebooting old franchises rather than, say, making brand new ones.

It can't just be a lack of imagination, can it?

Aww, crap, the Terminator franchise is finally dead.

"I think the great thing about this franchise is you have... You can actually have different canons because you have the element of time travel. So, there's a way of kind of respecting all the works but also able to create a new time line," Lin explained.
----------
Ok. Please, Lin, whoever the hell you are do not use time travel as an excuse to dick around with it. That said, I'd like to point out to him that nothing happened after Judgement Day. Nothing.

Why the fuck is Terminator 5 still happening?!

ah man, this sounds worse than T3
some reboots are good (Star Trek, Xmen) but it's getting too much
i though T4 showed some potential, the Terminator in the past has been well and truly done (and done very well in T1 & T2)

First two movies are awesome, 3rd one is just horrible, the TV-series was pretty mediocre and I actually liked the 4th movie even though it was flawed and had a lot of forced one-liners.

But they should really call it quits with it.

Doooooo we really need a Terminator 5? No, no we do not. We didn't need a Terminator 3 or 4 either.

If they're going to make it, I'm going to watch it... If they're going to make it without Linda Hamilton they should make it with Lena Headey who played Sarah Connor in Terminator: the Sarah Connor Chronicles. When I first saw her I thought "this will not work without Hamilton" but it did work (for me), and it will work for T5 (for me).

Justin Lin.:

"I think the great thing about this franchise is you have... You can actually have different canons because you have the element of time travel."

NO. FUCK YOU. This is NOT how time travel works and this is a STUPID excuse for a retcon. Terminator 4 was acceptable but T1 and T2 were far better... But they could still probably fit another in even without retardedly abusing time travel to reboot/retcon.

People need to keep the same gog damn pair of boots on SOMETHING. IS NO FOOTWEAR SACRED?

Fiend Dragon:

Justin Lin.:

"I think the great thing about this franchise is you have... You can actually have different canons because you have the element of time travel."

NO. FUCK YOU. This is NOT how time travel works and this is a STUPID excuse for a retcon. Terminator 4 was acceptable but T1 and T2 were far better... But they could still probably fit another in even without retardedly abusing time travel to reboot/retcon.

People need to keep the same gog damn pair of boots on SOMETHING. IS NO FOOTWEAR SACRED?

Yeah I agree. The original idea with the time travel was that the Skynet apocalypse was not set in stone to happen. It was merely a ripple from a possible future that elbowed it's way in to the past and that it was suppose to be erased with T2.

I actually liked T4 because it served more like a prequel to T1 rather then tangling things up more with time travelling.

octafish:
A reboot? Mira! Mira! Viene una tormenta!

Hahaha, you win dude. You just win.
I feel the same way.

Adzma:
Doooooo we really need a Terminator 5? No, no we do not. We didn't need a Terminator 3 or 4 either.

Thank you, my classic-Transformer-avatared friend, for expressing my views succinctly.

fire-exit-man:

Is there anything left in the entertainment world that is actually reboot proof? I'm starting to get confused as to why people only seem interested in rebooting old franchises rather than, say, making brand new ones.

If I had to make an educated guess, it's because like everyone else Hollywood are terrified of the ongoing financial turmoil, and rather than taking on a project which involves ANY kind of risk, and by risk I mean anything that is synonymous with creativity, they've elected to just reboot old movies that were already proven successes.

This is what happens when you let art be controlled by people who care only for investments.

Have Terminator 5 lead in to a reboot for crying out loud. Don't faf it up now! Make an event out of it like DC is doing. And then, after 5, you can name the entire franchise from 1 again.

Connor without Hamilton is not a world I want to live in. :(

More seriously; Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor was an empowering female figure for me growing up. As a little girl in the 90's, you really didn't have many- if any, women symbols that were strong and capable in their own right. Sigourney Weaver as Ripley also fit the bill for me. And don't think it went unnoticed that they shared the same director. :)

I understand that time has gone on, and that Hollywood is in reboot-heaven right now. Having a new actress playing Sarah Connor makes sense, but I doubt they'll levy the same commitment that Linda did.

Linda decided not to reprise her role in T3 because of a falling out with her then husband James Cameron. She also stated that the script they were going ahead with lacked elements that the first two movies had; humanity. From what I saw, I have to agree. The result was more about the action than it was about the humanity found in the first two movies.

marioman360:
Why the fuck is Terminator 5 still happening?!

I can think of over 370 million reasons why that movie is happening.

You see Billy, we have this thing called Capitalism. In it, if people give you $370 million, you take that as a sign that the people who gave you the money like what you did, and you then don't care at all about what the people who didn't give you money think.

Shamanic Rhythm:

fire-exit-man:

If I had to make an educated guess, it's because like everyone else Hollywood are terrified of the ongoing financial turmoil, and rather than taking on a project which involves ANY kind of risk, and by risk I mean anything that is synonymous with creativity, they've elected to just reboot old movies that were already proven successes.

This is what happens when you let art be controlled by people who care only for investments.

You don't like it? Move to North Korea.

Adzma:

This.

Terminator 1 and 2 are my favourite films of all time and hugely inspirational and important to me. Everything post-James Cameron has missed the mark completely and been bad, even when those products had interesting ideas it still wasn't worth it. Though I will say that Salvation came the closest to another true genuine Terminator film, it was too bad that it had a troubled production and too many flaws to work with. At least it tried to be it's own film rather than wanking off and re-using Camerons material.

Also they even cancelled Sarah Connor Chronicles which was becoming better as it went on, I actually ended up really enjoying the second season (despite too much screwing around and padding in places) and was sad when it got canned by Fox (of course).

Please just leave the series alone already.

wooty:
Getting fed up of all these reboots now, movies and games alike. Is there really no more imagination left in the entertainment business anymore?

Pretty soon all we'll be left with is Jersey Shore the movie, or The Hills movie, or Big Brother EXTREME!!!......the movie

I'd be up to see a Final Destination version of Jersey Shore.

For the love of Hoth, let the thing die!

Dear God, why?

Not bringing Sarah Connor back, because I don't mind that. Why a fifth Terminator at all?

Wow, this article delivered three crushing blows when I was only expecting one. 1) Terminator 5 when I had already sung the requiem for the 4th movie. 2) The director of Fast and Furious will be taking charge of this movie. 3) There is a Highlander reboot? Why the fuck?--Unless they can get zombie Freddie Mercury and the rest of Queen to sing the soundtrack, they, the movie producers, can fuck off.

No_Remainders:
I think I speak for us all when I say this...

Dear people involved in Terminator...

Please, please fuck off.

Pretty much what you just said.

I hardly liked T3 it was totally screwed up and then i watched 4 and that topped a new level of screwed up because by that time there had been (including the tv series) 4 john connors which just didn't sit well with my enjoyment having a new actor play a character and then look nothing like the original.

I liked Arnie as the terminator i really did and without him it just isn't terminator without him because i grew up with the first two films being awesome and his 3rd appearance was acceptable although the cosmetics done to his face looked obvious.

I don't want another terminator let alone a "reboot" that is set up solely to start a new franchise changing the story almost entirely.

No. No no no no no! I want my Terminator movie that is set in that future all the other movies keep giving us glimpses of. I want to see hundreds of Terminators walking across countless human skulls. I want to see those giant tanks rolling along the battlefield with the aerial gunships. I want to see ragtag humans jumping into the back of pickup trucks and firing a rocket launcher. I WANT MY LASER GUNS THAT FIRE PURPLE LASERS AND BLOW YOU APART! Why has no one made this movie yet? The future war is the coolest part of the entire Terminator franchise.

Gah, this is gonna suck so hard.

News like this makes me never wanna leave my bed ever again.

Arkynomicon:

Fiend Dragon:

Justin Lin.:

Yeah I agree. The original idea with the time travel was that the Skynet apocalypse was not set in stone to happen. It was merely a ripple from a possible future that elbowed it's way in to the past and that it was suppose to be erased with T2.

I actually liked T4 because it served more like a prequel to T1 rather then tangling things up more with time travelling.

something that they show but people never pick up on is that time can be altered, but it was not done properly. In the end of T2, even though the T-800 kills himself, he looses his arm elsewhere in the factory, hence why Judgement day was delayed.

Also did you know James Camoran made a mini interactive 3D sequel with the main cast of the movie for Universal studios?

zombie711:

Arkynomicon:

Fiend Dragon:

something that they show but people never pick up on is that time can be altered, but it was not done properly. In the end of T2, even though the T-800 kills himself, he looses his arm elsewhere in the factory, hence why Judgement day was delayed.

Also did you know James Camoran made a mini interactive 3D sequel with the main cast of the movie for Universal studios?

Yeah, but I never bought the idea that a ruined Terminator arm would lead to the Skynet apocalypse. Skynet as we know it from T1 shouldn't even exist because it was never built in the first place as a direct consequence from what happened in T2. Skynet pretty much destroyed itself by trying to prevent it's own destruction.

Also, never saw the 3D movie but would imagine it is not cannon.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here