Razer Unsheathes the Blade

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Well, it's impressive for a laptop indeed. But damn, that price is just ridicoulous. Well, for me, it is.

I was thinking of getting a new laptop, and this is pretty awesome, but I don't have a month and a half's cash laying around for this...

I'm hoping for a touch pad fiasco. Maybe they'll ship a crap ton, realize they don't sell and then drop the price so low that it becomes a ridiculous deal. Also, I've been waiting for a keyboard like that to appear. How long until the entire keyboard is a tablet?

Let's see. I can have both an Xbox and a PS3, full premium packages, for just under a grand... and probably get a couple free games with my purchase. Or I can pay double that for this monster.

Console vs PC
Affordability vs Bragging Rights

You can keep that laptop, I'm stickin with my ASUS G73

KaosuHamoni:

Skylants:

KaosuHamoni:

A lot cheaper, seeing as £1400 is around $2350 T_T

Are you looking at pre-built desktops or individual parts?

Individual, ofc

Here you go:

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa400/Skylants/quickbuild.png

Just a quick build from ebuyer. It doesn't leave much room for upgrades but it's a lot cheaper than that £1400 build you had. Also, you could save a bit by getting the 2500K. The 2600K is a but useless for gaming.

So this is what all the fuss was about? Color me not impressed.

What PC gaming needs is cheap, ubiquitous gaming PCs, not top end stuff that nobody buys and hence nobody can sell software for.

Why would I EVER want to buy that? $2700?!?!? I can get a fairly pimped out desktop machine for less than $1k. For 2.7k I can get a machine, a huge monitor, all the extra peripherals in high quality (mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc.) and still have enough money left over for a night of drinking and maybe a reasonably priced prostitute. I'm seriously trying to find any justification for this product, but then again, it's Razer - like Alienware they live off selling overpriced junk to people who don't know any better and fall for a flashy logo...

Oh, a advertising gimmick all along. Why am I surprised... I hope the Escapist got a chunk of change for carrying these stories.

"Saving the PC market..."

with a $2.8k laptop? Yeah... and besides PC gaming is still alive and okay, thank you very much (what with digital distribution, decently-priced rigs that can already be capable of running most things and what have you).

EDIT: I'm sure it's a real cool laptop, but I really can't pay for that. Not now at least...

Razer makes some darn fine gaming stuff and over all I like everything they have done here on paper. However I don't think that price point is going to do them any favors. At almost 3 grand its tough to see them selling allot of these, maybe they don't care if they sell allot as long as they sell what they have.

I admit I want one, but the question of dumping a large wad of cash into a laptop gaming computer...It's probably more for that certain kind of traveling maverick style gamer I guess...you know, they ride river boats and travel by stage coach.

Amalith:

Andy Chalk:
The price tag is high but once it's been out for a few months and the rabid, deep-pocketed early adopters have paid the price for it, it'll come down pretty quickly. I wouldn't be surprised to see it around 2200, 2300 by the second quarter of 2012, which is still expensive but not entirely out of line for a balls-out gaming rig with a unique interface built by a high-end specialty company. It's like a Bugatti versus a Corvette; they're both wickedly fast and sexy as well, but this, THIS is a Bugatti.

Except while the Bugatti Veyron is the fastest car in the world, this is nowhere near the performance of an equivalently priced Alienware, Origin, or Sager laptop. Sure, it's nice and thin, but it still weighs more than an equivalently specced 15 inch (and those are considerably cheaper). What it has going for it is looks, and that's all well and good, and I'm sure someone will buy it, but it's tech specs don't live up to the hardcore gaming crowd's expectations at that price range.

It's not the fastest anymore. :) Does it matter? :D

Here's another issue with the comparison. In three years time, the Bugatti Veyron will still make people drool, top out at over 220 mph and still suffer from chronic wet passenger seat. In three years time, that laptop with be struggling to play new games and will have other performance related issues, look dated, and people will giggle at the touchpad.

But is it so fast the other notebooks say "damn?"

The price is way too high to have any real effect on the PC gaming market, but I suppose that's marketing hype for you.

Let's see $2,800 for Razer's new laptop, or $200 for an Xbox 360?
One of the big problems with PC gaming is its SO DAMNED EXPENSIVE.

Scizophrenic Llama:
Newegg.com is extremely cheap, but sadly they are pretty much limited to the US for the time being.

Also available in Canada, but we tend to have a more limited selection on what available in some department, but for the basic hardware through we get the same thing, just a bit of lag behind for what available, like for example a video card with a Deus Ex coupon.

We still have the Dirt 3 coupon along AMD GPU here in Canada, which I am kind of waiting for them to be updated has to maybe order a new video card, since the 5670 I got is lacking for some game I want to LP, but it good enough to play everything I throw at it until now, when FRAPS is not running, so buying a new one mostly depend on how good the deal is to me, and Deus Ex 2 could be good enough to balance my choice along 6850 with a decent price (need to also upgrade power supply if I get higher end GPU, so higher AMD or an Nvidia which are more power hungry then AMD are out of question anyway).

Sorry for been OP. It just that seeing those Deus Ex publicity along an AMD graphic card on the Escapist is taunting me. =p

I REALLY like that interface. Respect Razer, thats a piece of innovation that could prove useful in the future (I doubt this idea will stay exclusive to the Blade), as opposed to just being there so they can say "LOOK! Innovation! Now buy our stuff even though its shit!"

Still, I wont be buying. Looks like something which is reserved for people who have to much money, to little brains and to much time.

Laptops are really a bad choice for PC gaming, at least from a performance per dollar perspective. Laptops have very limited upgrade options, and PC tech moves just too fast for a laptop to stay relevant anywhere near as long as a desktop.

I type this on an alienware laptop i paid ~$2500 for in '09; and the poor girl's starting to show her age, sadly.

So, Razer's new toy is pretty cool to look at, but there's no way i'd buy one.

I'm gonna stick to my little desktop built by the Proud Dwarves of Middle Earth.

Todays technology will be obsolete in 2 years. Don't buy gaming laptops kids.

Yeah,this is what that "PC GAMING IS NOT DEAD" thing was hyping up,but if this is (According to Razor's campaign which didn't start until an hour after the countdown ended.) the last hope PC gaming has,I would like to say on the behalf of the PC Gaming Master Race to weep slowly into your pillow.

hooksashands:
Let's see. I can have both an Xbox and a PS3, full premium packages, for just under a grand... and probably get a couple free games with my purchase. Or I can pay double that for this monster.

Console vs PC

Don't use this stupidly priced product as a strawman for all PC's. Yes, PC's are more expensive than consoles and deliver more because of it, but the price of this product is not justified and is an aberration.

It's like holding up some celebrities many thousand dollar jewel encrusted console as showing that consoles can be very expensive as well. It would be an aberration as this product is.

Even though I am not a gaming laptop fan, I will say this in their defense. Yes you could get lots of console stuff for the price of a gaming laptop, but can you play your consoles on the go? No, then your price comparison is worthless....

ph0b0s123:

hooksashands:

Console vs PC

Don't use this stupidly priced product as a strawman for all PC's. Yes, PC's are more expensive than consoles and deliver more because of it, but the price of this product is not justified and is an aberration.

It's like holding up some celebrities many thousand dollar jewel encrusted console as showing that consoles can be very expensive as well. It would be an aberration as this product is.

Even though I am not a gaming laptop fan, I will say this in their defense. Yes you could get lots of console stuff for the price of a gaming laptop, but can you play your consoles on the go? No, then your price comparison is worthless....

Your last sentence baffles me because you were complain about this laptop in previous posts as being a bad idea like non other, and yet in your latest post your defending it just because someone pointed out a key component to the whole "PC vs Console" debate that you didn't agree with. And yes you can play a console on the go with a small LCD screen and a power supply for it or just find a wall socket and your good to go.

It seems quite under spec for the price they're asking. Especially as it will go out of date soon.

Don't get me wrong, excellent laptop, and a step in the right direction for gaming laptops. But not quite there yet.

Kenjitsuka:
"a light-weight, super-hot laptop "
Super hot in the sense that it will probably get so warm that you can't rest it on your lap!!!

That was pretty much my first thought. Any gaming laptop that slim is a joke. There's no space for heat dissipation, and I'm sorry to bring basic physical science into this conversation, but... high-end computer hardware produces a lot of heat. Requirements for dissipating that heat are surface area on heat-sinks and a large volume of air.
There's a reason my four-year-old full-tower gaming rig still runs circles around brand new gaming laptops... because gaming laptops as they exist today are a fucking joke. A proper one would be about 6 inches thick and weigh fifteen pounds... and guess what? It would never overheat.

For THAT price it better have a ten-hour-while-strained battery life!

loc978:

Kenjitsuka:
"a light-weight, super-hot laptop "
Super hot in the sense that it will probably get so warm that you can't rest it on your lap!!!

That was pretty much my first thought. Any gaming laptop that slim is a joke. There's no space for heat dissipation, and I'm sorry to bring basic physical science into this conversation, but... high-end computer hardware produces a lot of heat. Requirements for dissipating that heat are surface area on heat-sinks and a large volume of air.
There's a reason my four-year-old full-tower gaming rig still runs circles around brand new gaming laptops... because gaming laptops are a fucking joke.

Amen to that!
Got an ultra high tower myself, to get some air to those overclocked bits that need to breathe.

The best part is Intel and GPU suppliers LIE about their specs.
They name their mobile chips (almost) identical, but then they don't tell you that they drastically lowered performance in many subtle ways because they cannot dissipate all the heat the desktop version can. TDP is a biatch... like most basic physics things this is not understood well, and the big companies profit from that.

TDP needs to be relatively very, very low to meet both heat AND battery concerns. Which makes a modern "mobile" CPU a joke compared to much older desktop competitors, even when they have a higher clockrate...

Further reading;
http://www.pcworld.com/article/115297/intel_changes_chip_names.html

Scizophrenic Llama:
Laptops just don't seem to be a feasible choice for PC gaming, especially at price points like that; Unless you're absolutely never sitting in a single place for long.

Seriously, my desktop cost me around a grand and it's got an i7 2600k, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, 1TB hard drive, the wireless capability, and a GTX 570 HD.

Not to mention the fact that laptops are far harder to upgrade, and the parts are more expensive, so it's hard to keep it up to date for very long.

ph0b0s123:
snip

Except that comparison falls apart when you consider that most game PCs are still well over a grand. You also make the baseless assumption that I am somehow honor-bound to consoles or a brand loyalist. No. I'm merely pointing out that owning a console is easier on your income.

When my 360 broke, I sent it in and they not only replaced it for free but gave me 3 months of Gold membership. When my custom PC tower went kaput, I only found one manufacturer who would give me a refund... and that was for the power supply, which I suspect caused everything to fry in the first place.

I thought this was supposed to remind us that PC gaming is not dead, not remind us why its dead.

Wow, Razer, stick to mouses and mousepads please.

I bought one of the Alienware laptops when I was younger and knew no better.

Nowadays I use the Asus g73. The Alienware lasted a little over a week, I left it on over night during the weekend and the gpu burned up.

Even if these laptops have decent components the price is merely for the logo on the front which bequeaths upon you the status of poseur, because gamers who've been doing it for awhile know that more reliable manufacturers also make laptops with equivalent benchmarks for half the price.

Companies like Alienware and Razer need to drop the act and start producing competitively priced machines.

Way to miss the point Razer. After trying out a couple of your insanely high priced mice I'd decided to be more weary about your products, but when you made your little announcment I thought that you might actually be doing something that wasn't advertising your latest high priced peripheral. Whilst it's not a peripheral, I'm still very disappointed. Please see below.

UnderCoverGuest:
Uh, it's not hardware that's making people say "PC gaming is dead", it's the quality of the games.

No, you're right. The cry of "PC gaming is dying" doesn't stem from the hardware, which has never been cheaper or easier to assemble, but from the games. Rubbish console ports, poor optimisation and just a general disregard for the platform is the plea of the PC gamer. We don't want flashy, expensive laptops, we already have Alienware for that. Now you're just as bad as them, making an underpowered, overpriced piece of kit with the appeal that it's "extreme".

Scizophrenic Llama:
Laptops just don't seem to be a feasible choice for PC gaming, especially at price points like that; Unless you're absolutely never sitting in a single place for long.

Seriously, my desktop cost me around a grand and it's got an i7 2600k, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, 1TB hard drive, the wireless capability, and a GTX 570 HD.

I agree on this. Most games require a proper mouse and I prefer at least a 20 inch screen and a comfortable chair. If you're going to add a mouse to your laptop you should also have a mouse mat and have the best difference in height of your chair and the mouse and keyboard. Only place it suits me to sit then is at my desk where I have my desktop.

If I were traveling more I would love this however, but as it is I only visit my parents in summer and Christmas and my old gaming rig is at my mom's place so I am never long without my games.

>True PC gaming
>a laptop with zero upgrade options

Riiiiight. That's not really living up to the full potential of PC gaming.

AC10:

PC parts just seem to be cheaper here in North America.

Have you adjusted for both exchange rate AND taxation? I understand in the US sales tax is very low, separate and for most online goods is not applicable.

Everything in the UK has a 20% price hike for VAT (equivalent of sales tax) and that's for consoles and even imports.

Though a cursory look does suggest things cost much more even after factoring for those.

$120 for Sapphire Radeon 5770 but £100 for the same in UK

Now even after removing tax (down to £83.33) the exchange rate takes it to $133 so about 10% more expensive than it should be. I wonder why? Not a huge difference.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here