Novus Aeterno Promises Big Things From a Small Company

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Novus Aeterno Promises Big Things From a Small Company

Don't let the small size of the dev company fool you; Novus Aeterno wants to be a big, big game.

Secreted away in between the massive corporate booths at the Penny Arcade Expo sits a small area with a couple of demo kiosks and some art. But the size of the booth belays the aspirations of the game being demoed; a massively multiplayer sci-fi RTS with a persistent world by the name of Novus Aeterno.

The game seeks to be one of the first MMORTSs to feature a truly persistent world that continues on even when you're logged off. Forgoing the traditional mission-and-objective gameplay that most RTSs use, Novus Aeterno is a bit more freeform, dropping you off somewhere in the galaxy with a core planet and a couple of neighbors. You may make your goal whatever you like; without objectives or a level system, you can focus on building and selling weapons, playing politics, or just taking the good ol' fashioned conquer the galaxy route.

The game also features a strong RPG element. The player themselves takes the role of a commander, creating a custom avatar and existing aboard the player's capital ship. As the player progresses, they may upgrade their commander and his officers to provide bonuses to other ships, build better weapons, or boost the abilities of the capital ship itself. The game also allows you to design and build your own ships, deciding what weapons, armor, and abilities your ships possess and where on the ship they are placed. The placement of upgrades matters quite a bit; the backs of ships are armorless and vulnerable, so strafing and maneuvering for better position becomes an important aspect of the game.

Because of the vast numbers of options available in the game, the team has given up attempting to balance the game in a traditional way, instead opting for what they call "dynamic balance." A good example of this is the weapons upgrade system: while higher-level weapons might do more damage, they will often be more finicky and difficult to use. And because all players, no matter how long they've been playing the game, have the same ship value cap, more experienced players won't be able to simply overwhelm new players with thousands of ships and will be forced to carefully choose which weapons best suit a particular situation and hope they have the skill to use them.

Perhaps the most interesting use of dynamic balance is the bounty system implemented in the game. The better a player does, the higher the bounty on their ships gets; this has the dual effect of making new players nearly worthless to attack and incentivising players to team up and take out the best players, making things more difficult for the pros and easier for the noobs.

The development team of Taitale games is a varied and far-flung group; each of the ten members of the company lives in completely different parts of the world including Costa Rica, Germany, Egypt, the UK, and Canada. Each member of the team has so far worked remotely from the other members, many of whom are first meeting each other in person at PAX. With such illustrious members as the lead artist on Sins of a Solar Empire and a two-star Major General, the team is bringing some high-caliber talent to creating their magnum opus.

The team hopes to have a beta ready by November and a full release sometime next year, and I for one am very much looking forward to it. If everything ends up working as advertised, Novus Aeterno could turn out to be a truly great game.

Awesome, I cant describe how long I have been waiting for a game like this!

I'm not usually into RTS games, but this looks interesting.

I will keep an eye on this one.

was this the mmorts extra credits mentioned? i can't remember, and i'm hopeful for this game, i love rts's, and would be interested in seeing an mmorts done well

Since i'm norwegian and since they chose to write it as they did i'm gonna call this game Novus Æterno

OT: Sounds interesting. Haven't heard of this game before now. I'm looking forward to seeing more as the work progresses(Like maybe a trailer)

This actually sounds incredibly awesome...

Ulquiorra4sama:
Since i'm norwegian and since they chose to write it as they did i'm gonna call this game Novus Æterno

OT: Sounds interesting. Haven't heard of this game before now. I'm looking forward to seeing more as the work progresses(Like maybe a trailer)

I thought more or less the same when I saw the title of the game. It's very rare to see an "Æ" anywhere outside of norwegian websites.

As for the topic... I certainly do like the sound of the concept and I'm curious to see how this turns out in the end. Granted multiplayer RTS'ing in any form isn't something for me I'll admit(because I lack the skills to keep up with other players).

Hum.. I wonder how it'll do for player character interaction. If players are given actual characters.. it'd be nice if they could actually meet one another.

Still, it does sound rather cool.

Sounds interesting, most interesting. Wonder how it'll work out.

AndyRock:
was this the mmorts extra credits mentioned? i can't remember, and i'm hopeful for this game, i love rts's, and would be interested in seeing an mmorts done well

The one they mentioned was End of Nations, which is a post economic collapse RTS, which, was recently announced is going to be free to play! Huzzah!

that sounds exactly like the kind of MMORTS I always wanted. Choosing between superior numbers, or superior firepower.

Sounds cool, but small devs tackling massive projects has happened before countless times. They will run into production/development problems because of their size and it'll cripple it.

Very unlikely they'll pull through, but hey man lets hope for the best.

Sounds really cool, love the dynamic difficulty even though it's failed before.

FelixG:

AndyRock:

The one they mentioned was End of Nations, which is a post economic collapse RTS, which, was recently announced is going to be free to play! Huzzah!

thanks for clearing that up, cheers.

Time of defiance was the first rts of this kind I think, and I mean exactly this kind. Sci-fi mmorts really well made but dropped dead because it was subscription based. Hopefully Novus Aeterno will be f2p so it doesn't suffer the same fate.

Could be quite interesting.

From their FAQ:
Q: Will Downloadable Content be an additional charge?
A: The subscription fee will cover all additional content including all future expansions.

Interesting concept, but I'll skip this as it will have a subscription.

Ayn Rand would just love this game...

This is a game to watch.. And believe me, I will be keeping a close eye on it.

AndyRock:

Quite possibly but has no one heard of the upcoming MMORTS End of Nations that's pretty much what this is like only it's announced free to play and is being made by Petroglyph half of the company that was once Westwood studios with music being composed by the great Frank Klepacki.

I like the idea that we are getting some more from the RTS genre and i like how it's coming back in a new fashion.

Plus the game is still open Beta for those willing to give it a try.

Edit: i see you've already been told beforehand so just a little more info.

Shadow-Phoenix:

AndyRock:

Quite possibly but has no one heard of the upcoming MMORTS End of Nations that's pretty much what this is like only it's announced free to play and is being made by Petroglyph half of the company that was once Westwood studios with music being composed by the great Frank Klepacki.

I like the idea that we are getting some more from the RTS genre and i like how it's coming back in a new fashion.

actually this sounds like a polar opposite of end of nations.

end of nations budget of 100,000,000 and done by massive development studios and they whent at a more normal RTS with some units and resorces that cary over and novus aeterno seems to be much more ONE SINGLE MASSIVE PERSISTENT MAP kinda thing.

when i played End of Nations at PAX it is map based and you go into a map battle go out of a map, there is no seamless universe or persistence other then some units and credits etc transferring from map to map.

but honestly im just happy to see more mmorts games

LorienvArden:
From their FAQ:
Q: Will Downloadable Content be an additional charge?
A: The subscription fee will cover all additional content including all future expansions.

Interesting concept, but I'll skip this as it will have a subscription.

Well it could end up being a really great deal, or a huge rip-off. It strongly depends on what kind of content they deliver over time.

zagoalie:

Shadow-Phoenix:

AndyRock:

actually this sounds like a polar opposite of end of nations.

end of nations budget of 100,000,000 and done by massive development studios and they whent at a more normal RTS with some units and resorces that cary over and novus aeterno seems to be much more ONE SINGLE MASSIVE PERSISTENT MAP kinda thing.

when i played End of Nations at PAX it is map based and you go into a map battle go out of a map, there is no seamless universe or persistence other then some units and credits etc transferring from map to map.

but honestly im just happy to see more mmorts games

I'm still going to play both but i prefer the style of End of Nations and we will see what the Beta for Novus Aeterno plays out like but i don't want this game to have more publicity than the other i want it to be fair so others can go look at both games rather than miss the other game based on what others have said.

i can understand wanting even publicity but this is the VERY FIRST article about NOVUS AETERNO in history, it is a team of 10 gamers vs End of Nation with 100 million dollars by a MASSIVE developer i don't think that End of Nations needs much help but i will play both of them just saying one is small indie studio other one is industry super power.

Hi, there. I'm the main server engineer for Novus Aeterno. On behalf of Taitale Studios, I would like to invite you to our forums if you would like any additional information on gameplay. Hope to see you there.

Gaaaaah

When I saw the image in the article I was SOOOOOO hoping for a first person space combat sim.

I REALLY want a FPP space combat sim. Why is no one making these any more? Massive downside is that one of the things that would have been wonderful for that sort of game would be online multiplayer, which basically they started drying up as multiplayer rose.

Oh well. Good luck to them. I mean honestly I cant understand the desire to try to compete either directly or indirectly with starcraft, but hey if they got the stones to try it, more power to em.

I think it's a bit early to get our hopes up - so far all we know is that the developer says "it'll be awesome! just wait and see!".

However, I at least certainly am intrigued: they're original, and that combined with ambition is always a thing to watch.

Kargathia:
I think it's a bit early to get our hopes up - so far all we know is that the developer says "it'll be awesome! just wait and see!".

However, I at least certainly am intrigued: they're original, and that combined with ambition is always a thing to watch.

Well, it had an early playable build up at PAX, and from what I saw it's coming along pretty well. The combat is awesome partly because it uses Newtonian physics, so drifting around and strafing your enemies actually works as advertised. It's pretty cool.

I would like to point out that I think this and every other imo who tries to renovate and actually give me something to play does well, but this is far from a new concept in the last 2 years alone I have found multiple mmorts that didn't get the attention they deserved, a few I stopped and played for awhile, shores of hazeron, mankind, (the now defunked) beyond protocol, this game seems to be very close to beyond protocol, lookit up might be worth it to find some new games if you have been waiting for them like most of us

antofdeath:
I have found multiple mmorts that didn't get the attention they deserved,

this title has been worked on for 4 years now apparently completely under the radar working for no money just for the love of it by 10 guys. so in my opinion this IS one of those games that deserve the attention and finally they got some of it.

Shadow-Phoenix:

AndyRock:

I havent seen any open beta listed, could you PM me the link to sign up and get in the fight?

FelixG:

Shadow-Phoenix:

AndyRock:

I havent seen any open beta listed, could you PM me the link to sign up and get in the fight?

No problem here you go bro http://www.endofnations.com/en/community/newsletter.

Shadow-Phoenix:

FelixG:

Shadow-Phoenix:

No problem here you go bro http://www.endofnations.com/en/community/newsletter.

Thank you kindly!

This will only really become a hit if it uses the addiction tactics of most MMOs, which is exactly what turns me off MMOs, so I probably won't pay attention to this any further.

Some people seem to forget that all MMORTS games so far including End of Nations ARE NOT a real MMORTS, they have maps that you play on then end and select another from an overview map, thats not persistant. Novus is one giant map that constantly expands as more player join it, you also create your own empire, colonise planets and such.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here