Best RPG Ever Available for Free Download

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best RPG Ever Available for Free Download

The first computer RPG to do more than simulate whacking orcs is free right now on Good Old Games.

1985 was a free-wheeling era. Marty McFly urged us all to go back in time, Reagan and Gorby were courting one another and Wall Street's excess was riding high. In contrast, the burgeoning videogame market was mostly comprised of platformers, shoot 'em ups and text adventures, so the industry was primed for Lord British, aka Richard Garriott, to bring the the world Ultima IV. Due to modern operating systems not being compatible with Apple II OS, we gamers haven't been able to enjoy the glory of Garriott's masterpiece, especially since any hacked versions on the web were brought down in March at the request of EA, who owns the IP. EA must have reached a deal because as of today, Ultima IV is available at Good Old Games. The best part? It's absolutely free. Now that is a virtue.

The compelling RPG Ultima IV: Avatar blended text and graphics built around playing the most virtuous character possible to become the Avatar instead of just killing doodz. After all the bad guys were killed in the first three games, Lord British calls for an individual to master the eight virtues to live as an example to the people fo the newly formed nation of Brittania.

Ultima IV cemented the reputation of the series and catapulted Garriott to the upper echelons of game design. Garriott was inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame in 2006.

There's no word on whether Ultima IV will be free on GOG.com forever, so you might as well head over there and download it now. That is, if you have a spare 25 megabytes available on your hard drive.

Source: GOG.com

First daggerfall now this?!
Awesome!

Doubt its the best rpg ever since rpg's are still being made and quite a few are better than ultima 4, but its still a classic of the genre and definitly worth the 25meg download size :)

At first I was like OMG BALDUR'S GATE 2 FOR FREE!?

Then I was like... meh.

^^^ My exact thoughts as well. :(

Ah well, Ultima's okay I guess.

Ultima IV is the best RPG ever? I beg to fucking differ.

I mean, calling Baulder's Gate or KotOR the best RPG ever, I can see, but Ultima...ehhh.

now I feel old!

(and no it's not then best, many be first would have been a better choice of word?!)

25 megs of space needed? Ah shit, I'll have to clear some stuff.

Oh wait, it's not the crappy old days anymore. Good.

Wait, I'm on a Mac, fuck...

Oh well, cool for them to do anyway. I think they should do a re-release compilation of the whole series and extra features.

Macgyvercas:
Ultima IV is the best RPG ever? I beg to fucking differ.

I mean, calling Baulder's Gate or KotOR the best RPG ever, I can see, but Ultima...ehhh.

I think what he means by "best RPG ever" is that Ultima 4 is to RPGs what Doom was to FPSs

O come on I can't spare 25 on my HDD not even my last game went over 8,5 (Deus ex:HR) how can a game that old even have fitted on a hdd of the time?

O wait sorry missed Mb I thought of course that it was Gb.../end sarcasm

Still nice, old classic I heard about often but never tried I might give it a shot...

Man I was stoked to download Shining Force. Oh well.

only thing i recall about the ultima games was how bloody hard they were. Well ultima and zork were two that no matter what i did seemed they was just something i was missing.

Dang....I remember playing this when I was 10 on my brother's knock off apple computer. Don't think I ever beat it either. Never could find the abyss. Ahh....fond memories.

poiumty:

Then I was like... meh.

Same here, but with Planescape Torment...

My advice to you younger players: Bring a walkthrough, or at least a pad of paper and a pen. This is not your current-day RPG, with a log detailing your quests and your destination marked on a minimap. You're going to be searching for people and places based solely on information you get from NPCs.

SachielOne:
My advice to you younger players: Bring a walkthrough, or at least a pad of paper and a pen. This is not your current-day RPG, with a log detailing your quests and your destination marked on a minimap. You're going to be searching for people and places based solely on information you get from NPCs.

It comes with a cluebook,spellbook,map,and the manual.
I think I'm covered.

OT:Just got it,nice to see that I can get more free games!

Do you have to use Dosbox for this?

Sweet, I always wanted to give Ultima a try. Guess this is the perfect opportunity.

SachielOne:

Thanks for the advice, I'll keep it in mind. I suppose all information is told to you only once.

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

And Ultimas 1, 2, and 3 are available for only 6 bucks?!?! This is a very good day for me. Here's hoping they come out with the rest of the games soon... I've been wanting to try these for awhile now.

Sorry, I upgraded to 3D graphical technology eight or so years ago. Since then my nostalgia level hasn't been high enough to convince me to play these "greatest games ever". Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Fallout to go play.

Well, you can't beat that price. I've never played the Ultima games, but I'm going to have to try this one. I'm always interested in the classics. That virtue thing sounds much more interesting than the standard "bad guy wants to take over the world, go kill him".

Clonekiller:
Sorry, I upgraded to 3D graphical technology eight or so years ago. Since then my nostalgia level hasn't been high enough to convince me to play these "greatest games ever". Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some Fallout to go play.

Fallout isn't 3D, if that's what you're saying. But it sure is one of the "greatest games ever".

Llil:
Well, you can't beat that price. I've never played the Ultima games, but I'm going to have to try this one. I'm always interested in the classics. That virtue thing sounds much more interesting than the standard "bad guy wants to take over the world, go kill him".

Clonekiller:

Fallout isn't 3D, if that's what you're saying. But it sure is one of the "greatest games ever".

Correction: Fallout: New Vegas. Happy?

Hopefully we get Ultima 7 for free too!

Clonekiller:

Correction: Fallout: New Vegas. Happy?

Aye. I thought so, but I chose to misunderstand anyway. It's important to use the right names.

Eh, Blades of Exile has been open source[1] for...wait, Ultima 4?

[1] will have to give another go at getting it to work on my newer laptop

rose-tinted glasses much? I also miss the good old days when even figuring out the controls, much less actually playing the game, was too hard to actually bother.

I'm gonna go back to ME:2 now. (somehow I managed to delete my ren fem file, and now I have to play it over again in order to get my ren fem in 3)

What is this?

I don't even.

But you didn't say ___________ in the title as the best RPG ever.

TOS when you go to install the game says you agree to have Origin installed... no thanks.

SirBryghtside:

SupahGamuh:

poiumty:

Then I was like... meh.

Same here, but with Planescape Torment...

Morrowind for me :P

Although apparently, Ultima inspired TES in part, or at least Todd-era. Might check it out.

Hey, Persona 4 is now free? Oh...

Sweet, I will pick this up. I hope this means they're going to re-release all the Ultimas, I'd love to play VII again.

Wow . . . I'm defi gonna have to check this out for old-times sake . . . I remember playing through the whole series as they were released on C64, and U4 was really the only non text-based early RPG that I fondly remember. Ultima3 came a close second.

For y'all youngin RPG fans - don't knock it till you try it, especially just cause it's not your favorite title. There's something about U4 on the older systems that feels right, unlike the many ports to early consoles that just felt all glamored up and lacking in substance. This easily falls into one of those categories of "know your roots," much like Doom is to FPSes, and DuneII is to the RTS.

Awesome game. Picked it up a while ago. Brilliant idea (virtues mechanics), dreadful (by modern standards) UI and graphics. Conclusion: need a remake. Not by EA, though.
Indie devs, anyone?

This game was not restricted to the Apple II...I had the PC version on floppy (the big floppies). Then there's the Nintendo version. Anyways, this is not the first time PC gamers had legal access to Ultima IV.

I might have missed something, but I remember U4 being made free for download on an EA related site a long time ago.

Yeah I played this on the Sega Master System years ago. Could never get that far until I randomly discovered that pressing butting 2 on controller 2 while in a dungeon brings up a cheat sheet that tells you the coordinates to everything from where to find a dungeon to where you can get nightshade/mandrake, complete with a full spell book. Still had to do some detective work to figure out the 'words', but in the end I could never beat the game because I could never figure out the final answer, the character trait that binds all others together (or whatever it was).

I'll download it but I'm not sure if I'll install it if I have to install Origin as well. I still win here though cause someone mentioned Blades of Exile being open source, thanks a lot! I remember playing the demo of an Ultima IV style RPG game called something-Exile-something on a friends computer years ago and have occasionally wanted to try it again but could never find it with a google search because I didn't know it's proper name.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here