Crafter Crafts Minecraft Within Minecraft

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Crafter Crafts Minecraft Within Minecraft

Can Minecraft players build a computer within Minecraft that can play Minecraft within Minecraft? Apparently, yes.

Admittedly, the chance for amusing, memetic repetition is the main draw for this story, but that should take nothing away from the phenomenal device Minecraft player Hans Lemurson has built within the beloved sandbox game.

Lemurson has long been using the game's innate tools to craft "computers" -- machines that, while crude, are capable of calculation and computation similar to early real-world computers. The obvious joke, on witnessing his works, is "but can your computers play Minecraft?" Presumably tired of hearing that same snickering query, Lemurson set out to prove that they could, and while his results aren't exactly spot-on, the embedded video is a pretty impressive proof of concept.

"It is a small 2D Platformer type game where you can move around and modify the terrain," Lemurson explains in his YouTube description. "It's not truly Minecraft, but it's about as close as you can come with Redstone."

Lemurson promises another upcoming video in which he walks through the computer's construction and explains exactly how he got the device to do its thing. Until then, we're going to assume a wizard did it.

As with any truly impressive Minecraft creation, the most thrilling part of this whole thing is what it says about the game's creative limits. Specifically, are there any limits?

Could a Minecraft player craft a stone so large that another Minecraft player couldn't move it? Honestly that query makes a lot more sense when Thomas Aquinas is addressing his chosen deity, but you get where I'm going with this.

Presumably it's only a matter of time before Lemurson tasks his Minecraft computer playing Minecraft to craft a computer on which he can play Minecraft. I just want to know if there's any conceivable end to the levels of abstraction I'm inevitably going to have to describe here.

Mineception?

I was talking about this happening the moment i got good at Redstone. "With all these computers being built in minecraft, one day, someone will make minecraft in minecraft."

To be honest though. I view this as art. To think that someone could make a game out of the poor physics in a game, is just stunning. ((And as note, i play alot of minecraft, and by "poor" physics, i mean completely unrealistic except for sand and gravel.))

Yo Dawg, I heard you like MInecraft, so we put your Minecraft in your Minecraft so you can mine while you mine.

But seriously, the things some people can do in terms of programming is amazing, especially when it gets down to this sort of level. However my brain is hurting trying to comprehend it all :S

kouriichi:
Mineception?

Ninja'd well how about...

Proverbial Jon:
Yo Dawg, I heard you like MInecraft, so we put your Minecraft in your Minecraft so you can mine while you mine.

Up yours, Escapist ¬_¬

Sweet!

...but will it run Crysis?

Simalacrum:
Sweet!

In order for these Minecomputers to run Crysis, you'd need every player of Minecraft to devote themselves to building the ultimate possible computer in their world, then somehow link their computer to a central world/server (likely this guys), and then manage to get that all working together all at once, for a CHANCE to play Crysis...

More likely would be the super-Minecomputer created from this would develop sentience and go Skynet on our asses... except with Creepers instead of Terminators.

Turn based gravity, heh...

still amazing though.

problem here is that he now has to make minecraft in his minecraft minecraft.
well that was a weird sentence...
1337 post is 1337! just saying.

kouriichi:
Mineception?

We have to go deeper! (But not straight down!)

This is scary. Seriously. How much longer before you can build a computer in Minecraft that lets you run Minecraft well enough to build a computer in THAT Minecraft?!

Yeah, my brain just imploded. G'night, folks! *thud*

This is just two levels. Soon we will be able to go down three but we'll probably have to sedate our computers.

lolmynamewastaken:
problem here is that he now has to make minecraft in his minecraft minecraft.
well that was a weird sentence...
1337 post is 1337! just saying.

Now you can never post again XD

Earnest Cavalli:
Until then, we're going to assume a wizard did it.

OT: My, this is cool. Perhaps he'll build a computer in that that can also play minecraft...

Wow. That would just be amazing.

"There is an interesting bug in here, but I prefer to think of it as a feature"

Spoken like a true programmer.

This is just insane. Also, I have to point this out because I prefer it, but this guy's voice is listenable, and that is just completely necessary in a video I want to watch. He actually reminds me a little of a slightly less nasal Paul from LRR.

Computer Engineering courses are about to become obsolete. Just give them a copy of minecraft and point them towards some youtube videos, and voila! New chip architectures.

Goddamnit, crafters, stop making me feel stupid! Here I am dicking about in my game, and there you go building the entire fucking game all over again. >_<

I believe this is what you were looking for:

:)

WHY MUST PEOPLE MAKE ME SAD ABOUT BEING UNABLE TO MAKE A BETTER THAN WOLVES ELEVATOR GO UP!

Wow, my giant piston stone door doesn't look so awesome anymore.

The_root_of_all_evil:

And we are picking up reports of the universe imploding at the outer edges.

I assume he made something cool but the way he talks makes me want to hit him so I didn't end up watching the video.

Jesus. 0.o How do you even debug something like that.

castlewise:
Jesus. 0.o How do you even debug something like that.

Very, very carefully. Or with creepers.

cursedseishi:

Simalacrum:
Sweet!

In order for these Minecomputers to run Crysis, you'd need every player of Minecraft to devote themselves to building the ultimate possible computer in their world, then somehow link their computer to a central world/server (likely this guys), and then manage to get that all working together all at once, for a CHANCE to play Crysis...

More likely would be the super-Minecomputer created from this would develop sentience and go Skynet on our asses... except with Creepers instead of Terminators.

I really want to do that. I'm willing to give up the next few years to build it.

No! This time they gone to far, we are going to have to blow up the Internet to stop this madness

*sets the timer for 6years, 2months, 19days, 4hours& 31minutes* My the Gods have mercy on our souls

-M

That is so amazing good for him he worked hard.

Proverbial Jon:

But seriously, the things some people can do in terms of programming is amazing, especially when it gets down to this sort of level. However my brain is hurting trying to comprehend it all :S

That's not programming. That's just computer architecture. Designing an LED game out of just hardware is a fairly common Computer/Electrical Engineering lab project at the end of a course (though admittedly they are never that complicated, or impressive).

We can say he built it in a cave... with scraps. :D

Ok, who divided by zero?

Words cannot express quite how impressed I am by this. I'd love to see if he has a video where he shows the circuitry.

*engage Youtube!*

He does

O.o wut.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HansLemurson

Can he build a computer in his minecraft-playing-minecraft-computer? And will it be able to play minecraft?

Damn...ninja'd, but still:)

makes me think of this

I can't help but feel as if someone just discovered 30 year old computers and suddenly felt inputting machine language by hand is fun. Weird.

That's interesting but as always I am left wonder what would happen if you took that energy and put it into a programming/creation techniques that is "useful" in the real world as opposed to just to Minecraft players. (Oh yeah and technically since Minecraft is running in Java on a JVM onto of your OS, this seems silly to me).

Golan Trevize:
We can say he built it in a cave... with scraps. :D

You sir, win the thread (for me at least) =D

RT-Medic-with-shotgun:

The_root_of_all_evil:

And we are picking up reports of the universe imploding at the outer edges.

We're also recieving reports confirming that a group of exploding bush-monsters are the perpetrators behind the attack. More on this story as it develops.

OT: Kinda looks like a game being played on those massive switchboards. You know those ones. They look kinda like this:

Still, that's pretty awesome. Although now I feel kinda dumb that I've only created a massive wooden cabin and he's managed to build the game within the game.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here