Deus Ex Devs Taunt Us With Cut Content

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Deus Ex Devs Taunt Us With Cut Content

Upper Heng Sha, the streets of Montreal, India; you won't find these places in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. At least, not anymore.

Speaking to industry publication EDGE, Eidos Montreal art director Jonathan Jacques-Belletête and lead game designer Frank Lapikas spilled the French Canadian equivalent of beans on the wealth of content cut from the final version of the game. If you're a fan, you may want to surf away to something more pleasant, lest your rage overwhelm you.

"There were definitely supposed to be some streets to Montreal. There were outdoor locations set in one of the most famous neighbourhoods of Montreal, called Plateau. It's got very specific architecture, called tri-plexes, with twirling exterior staircases made of this old metal," Jacques-Belletête said.

"It's very specific to Montreal, and we'd drawn concept art of how these streets would look in 20 or 30 years from now. We even tried them in-game. Walking around them felt quite special - that architecture had never been in a game before, and never realised alongside a vision of 2027. It was really cool."

"We had planned for a lot more city hubs," adds Lapikas. "Montreal was supposed to be one. Upper Heng Sha was actually built, but it was never finished."

"At the beginning of the project we even planned to go to India. But as we constructed the city hubs, and understood the amount of work it took, we had to pare it down."

Continuing, the pair claims that the amount of furniture and interior design nuances the firm designed "could fill an Ikea catalogue."

Before fans have a chance to purse their collective lips and burst into petulant wails, the duo clarifies that these cuts were necessary to make Deus Ex: Human Revolution the stunningly detailed game you're likely enjoying at this very moment.

Since Edge already took the comment-bait route by asking readers whether they might have preferred more locales to explore, over the hyper-detailed stomping grounds that made the final cut, I'm just going to make that decision for you guys.

Sixty percent of you are suddenly very angry that you won't ever see India circa 2027, thirty-five percent of you can see the logic in cutting these areas in service of a more detailed final product, and five percent of you are still raging over the amount of blood spraying from the goat's neck in this comic.

I'm right, aren't I?

Source: Edge

Eh, fair enough. Less, more detailed hubs are better than many shallower hubs.

Quality over quantity. Though... if you can deliver both, then awesome.

Meh, I remember the Playstation 2 games that used to put in the concept art galleries full of how things could have looked and the countless locations they had to drop. Sure it was a bit disappointing to see some stuff cut, but I'm liking the game as it is. Yes there's a bit more I'd like added in several areas, but it already passed the "did not regret full price purchase" test for a great game to me.

Well, there's always DLC

A bit unfortunate, but not drastic. All games and other kinds of media have content cut out from them, even if it does eventually come back to the game in the shape of DLC. If you put a bunch of creatives in a room, you eventually have to narrow down and focus on ideas and leave some out. It's a natural step of development, I'd say.

EDIT: Also, adding more varied areas and locations also makes sense if they actually give us a different look and feel. The golden shower thing they have going does look a bit on the samey side from what I have seen of the game so far.

I'd only be surprised if all their ideas made the cut.

Maybe they'll release it as DLC though - those hubs were a lot of fun to explore.

The current city hubs are great as is. Yeah, Montreal would have been cool to explore, but it wouldn't have paid off if it meant the current locations would have had to be cut down.

Games often have huge amounts of cuts; this isn't new.

The original Deus Ex was supposed to go to Mexico or something (as well as other areas) which alone would have two whole new organisations/groups of people that were ready to fight one another.

Its not like either game suffers from a lack of content.

Sacrificing content that would have an awesome game awesomer is ok, it still kicks ass. Sacrificing content in a mediocre game that would have made it good is a damn tragedy, but the nature of deadlines and the like makes it a very real possibility.

The fact that this game cut out so much and still ended up so good is a testament to the focus of the design team. Personally, I wouldn't be against adding this as DLC. For once, I'd probably actually buy it.

Yeah, doesn't surprise me. I thought it was weird to only see the olympic stadium in Montreal. Would have love to run around my city. If they release it as a DLC, it would be awesome.

Woodsey:
Games often have huge amounts of cuts; this isn't new.

The original Deus Ex was supposed to go to Mexico or something (as well as other areas) which alone would have two whole new organisations/groups of people that were ready to fight one another.

Its not like either game suffers from a lack of content.

And the moon dont forget the moon ;)

I'm satisfied with the excellent detail put into DX:HR. It's too bad that they had to cut some content but hey, we got the coolest game of 2011 thanks to that!

GJ Eidos Montreal, I personally can't wait to any futuristic game titles You're gonna develop (I hope that it'll be possible with those 250 new employees in the next 2 years)

:)

Walking around Montreal sounds incredible. Please, add it as free DLC. PLEASE!

I'm not really surprised. TBH DXHR seemed a little on the small side, not least of which because in the adverts they said that you'd see changes in the city hubs based on your decisions...well I didnt see any, sure their are the storyline driven events but nothing really brought on by your decisions.

Yeah, well...well! Nuh!

I killed the first boss without getting damaged once! On Give Me Deus Ex! What do you say to that eidos! Huh? Huh!?

*sobs*

On another note, that ARG thing they had going on seemed to result in a confirmed anouncement for Sunday 4th Sep. The ARG made it pretty clear it'll be DLC from the bit of the game where

So, we've got that to look forward to.

I found an eBook that talks about India, saying that the economic boom it had from exports was failing and it's entire economy was crumbling beneath itself.

That would have been interesting to look around, and Upper Hengsha still intrigues me.

Make another, make it good, and I will love you forever Eidos. I will forgive you for everything that you may have done wrong. To explore a country with an economy and climate as bad as India as it's talked about in game would be interesting, not to mention the different culture of India that may have evolved over time.

I'm getting myself excited over something that will probably never see the light of day.

Calumon: But, that means that there would've been more time when Jack wouldn't talk and just look at the screen ignoring everything around him even me? It could have been a lot more time of that? Thanks Mr and Mrs Dev, sir madame!

I think if they had added the stuff like Mexico or Montreal to say, expansion packs or something, it would have gotten them more monies without having to develop another game.

Just sayin

Not including Upper Hengsha is a serious missed opportunity. Because it would have provided a lot of contrast between the life of the upper city and lower city.

The addition of a double layered city should be more of a plot device because the Pengu is a symbol of class differences. And the fact that it never made it in makes me sad.

They should have just cut the boss battles.
I would have also liked no CG cutscenes.
Also, this last one is just a dream, I would have loved way less marketing and more money and resources spent on making the actual damn game. It is a shame that even a good game like Deus Ex 3 has so much marketing when so much of it seemed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. (Dragon Age suffered from the same problem.) I only got interested in Deus Ex 3 from reading what people thought of the leak. If it was just the marketing I probably would have NOT bought the game in the first place. But I don't think Deus Ex fans were there primary demographic.

I think a lot of stuff was cut from teh original deus ex as well... though...

I'm hoping will se more of this content in the form of dlc, I understand the reason for having to cut portions of a project and its rarely an easy thing to do so it always great when you get to go back and finish some of that work so it can see the light of day.

That's pretty disappointing. There are only two hubs in the game, and I think one more would have been sufficient (Montreal would probably be the best because the Developers are from there). I had the feeling I was going to get this game on several DLC packs, and that's why I pre-ordered the regular edition on Steam and am willing to spend more money for more content.

The Original Deus Ex also had certain levels removed, such as the White House and Moon base, but it still felt complete.

Many people bought DXHR so they have a good opportunity to make more money and appease some fans (some can never be appeased, unfortunately). They really should try to appease the fans if they ever want to make an original franchise all of their own.

Thirty-five percent of me thinks there's too damn much stuff in DX:HR already! It's mind boggling. It took me 16 hours to even get to Heng Sha because I have to explore every single little alleyway!

Five percent of me is sadface knowing I won't get to see Upper Heng Sha. DX:IW made a good point of showing the contrasting attitudes of people outside and inside the Arcology in Cairo leading from their disparate economic situations.

Sixty percent of me thinks I should stop surfing the web and just carry on exploring Heng Sha.

It's a shame they had to cut content, one or two more city hubs would have been nice. Still Deus Ex:HR is a great game and not at all short on content, it took me over 30 hours to compete on my first run through.

Still maybe more city hubs and such can be something that can be imrpoved on in a sequel maybe...*fingers crossed*

honestly i dont care i have allrdy bought this game for my PC and PS3 so to me the anserw is pretty straight forward...put out all the DLC you like as long as its the same quality as DX:HR and i will buy it all!!

I was so hoping to see Montreal in the game outside of just the interior of one building (even if it was a large one). Oh well, maybe in DLC or HR2.

I can understand why they cut content.

This game is probably the hugest thing I've played that wasn't an RPG.

Well, that's a shame. Here's hoping that they can salvage some of their stuff for some DLC, I would love to see future-India/future-Montreal.

Sure could've used some extra time for those repetitive animations *cough nitpick cough*

But seriously, would be cool to see those locations in DLC side missions again if possible. I mean, so much work put into some stuff already, why not wrap it up and make a few extra bucks?

thenamelessloser:

Kinda disagree. It's true there was plenty of wrong with them (they stood in the way of true pacifist walkthroughs, stealthy players were forced to take up heavy arms, etc), but I think without them the arcs would have felt much less complete. I guess the idea is to feel like you really take revenge bit by bit, especially since we're explicitly forced to watch these people hurt innocents, but they aren't fleshed out one bit and Jenson doesn't care either. Except for the last boss, a little bit.

thenamelessloser:
I would have also liked no CG cutscenes.

All in all agreed. Some had HORRIBLE clipping and action scenes always looked off. There were two things very goofy around the finale, but naturally these are spoileriffic, so I won't discuss that openly.
I gotta admit they sometimes were pretty tho. Most of the time however, useless and dragging you a bit out of the immersion.

thenamelessloser:
If it was just the marketing I probably would have NOT bought the game in the first place. But I don't think Deus Ex fans were there primary demographic.

Agreed, I was very hesitant and cautious until the demo. And it's definitely true DX fans weren't the primary demographic as I can tell from the Making Of. They wanted to introduce casual gamers to DX while also keeping the old players in the boat. I have to say they succeeded pretty well.
Tho I think the regen health was totally unnecessary. If they scattered a few more nutrients and health packs and adjusted some numbers, I think you could've played it without it. Would've been great for Hard. But instead the regen just takes longer, which makes the already cover-based combat even more boring.

Thank god the stealth is pretty decent in this game.

*snip*

I'm not raging, I understand why they did it and wouldn't have it any other way. Still, maybe we could get it in DLC maybe?

oktalist:
Thirty-five percent of me thinks there's too damn much stuff in DX:HR already! It's mind boggling. It took me 16 hours to even get to Heng Sha because I have to explore every single little alleyway!

You're not the only one, lol . . . I just finally beat HR the other night, and clocked an astounding 42 hours to do so because I was taking my time exploring the environments, talking to NPCs, following side-quests . . .

It's possible a lot of this cut content will be the backbone for upcoming DLCs - it's also possible (considering how the title is doing so far) that should another installment get put into the works, some of that material might just get used there. It's easy to start production of a title when you've already got a ton of spare material laying around.

Marik Bentusi:

thenamelessloser:

Kinda disagree. It's true there was plenty of wrong with them (they stood in the way of true pacifist walkthroughs, stealthy players were forced to take up heavy arms, etc), but I think without them the arcs would have felt much less complete. I guess the idea is to feel like you really take revenge bit by bit, especially since we're explicitly forced to watch these people hurt innocents, but they aren't fleshed out one bit and Jenson doesn't care either. Except for the last boss, a little bit.

I've only fought the first 2 bosses, but you can kill the first one without firing a single bullet, and the 2nd you can kill with just a pistol if you have the right defensive augment.

In a way, that's a pity, but if it's the trade off we had to pay for more detailed hubs in the game, then fair enough. I would have liked to have seen Upper Hengsha, if not just to see how the other (upper) half lived.

Anyway, it gives them something to hold over for DLC, or perhaps the possible sequel. I've only seen one ending to the game, but I'm guessing that in order to keep the story in line with the original Deus Ex, they didn't want the endings to offer dramatically different results.

Anyway, for those that have completed the game (and specifically remember playing Deus Ex the first time around way back then), I can't have been the only one that nearly exploded when

Overall, really impressed with this game, espeically with how they manage to tie things into the DX timeline.

While we're here, a quick question regarding the third boss:

A hub for the sake of a hub isnt worth making unless they fill it with missions and make it stand out amongst Lower Hensha and Detroit. I guess they could do it as DLC at some point that would be great.

MarsProbe:

I loved that moment. I was like "Is that... it is! SWEET!"

Then I re-installed it and am now playing through it again.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.