Footage Of World War Z Shambles Onto The Web

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Footage Of World War Z Shambles Onto The Web

New video of a scene from next year's World War Z has appeared, and it looks like it'll have even less to do with the original book than originally thought.

Production of World War Z's film adaptation is currently underway in Glasgow. So far, it's been receiving a fair amount of hostility from fans of Max Brooks' source novel, mainly because the proposed plot is, well, nothing like that of the book. Now, footage of the zombies in action has surfaced, and it's certainly looking like the film's vision is even more different than anticipated.

As you can see in the video, apparently shot by a bystander who was watching the production from afar, the zombies in the movie are going to be crazy fast. Not only that, but when they bite/eat someone, the change from living person to undead killer is nearly instantaneous.

This is incredibly different from how the zombies were portrayed in the book. As Brooks wrote them, the walking dead are straight out of classic George Romero films: They're slow, stupid, and pose more of a threat to modern militaries because shock-and-awe tactics (and delivering mortal injuries) just don't work against their shambling hordes.

Now, whether or not World War Z will be good or bad remains to be seen. It's got a ton of very talented people involved the big screen adaptation, including director Marc Forster (who has an incredible list of movies to his name), Brad Pitt, and a screenplay by J. Michael Straczynski (who also wrote Thor and the excellent Babylon 5). That said, it seems like Hollywood is avoiding the deep, thought-provoking story about how humanity near death beneath the crushing weight of the zombie apocalypse and its subsequent triumph; instead, it looks like they're going to deliver another big-budget action/horror movie ... for better or for worse.

Source: io9

So this is going to be another '28 Days/Weeks Later'?

There goes all my interest in the movie. I wanted a true blue zombie movie. Not some fast paced action movie.
You can add as many talented people as possible to a movie, but if the basic idea is flawed, then talented people do very little for my enjoyment.

Unless it's Liam Neeson.

Edit: I can see why it's turned out like this. Hollywood looked at the book and thought "Not fast paced enough, add more action" and completely changed the plot, time it was set and the motivations of the main character to match what would appeal to the general population rather than make an interesting documentary/film that would only appeal to fans of the book (which there are quite a few by my reckoning). Basically, money. It's come down to how much they can make from as many people as possible when the film is released. Well so much for that, I'm pretty sure they have pissed of so many original WWZ fans (like myself) that they have shot themselves in the foot already. I would have loved to go see this when it was released in the cinema but now I'll probably wait until it's on Sky unless it gets really good write ups from Brooks fans.

This worries me a bit...
I'm in the middle of reading World War Z, and it's a damn good book.
For something like this, you'd hope the directors and writers would stick as closely as possible to the source material.
I hope this turns out well, but it probably won't...

I've only listened to the audiobook (which was excellent) and was looking forward to the movie adaption,
however if it's only an adaption in name, what's the point?
can't say I'm a fan of horror.

I like Brad Pitt, and I haven't read the book, but this looks and sounds like just another generic zombie film...

More zombies? Why more zonbies? The only thing thats rotting away and causing people to look on in horror is the severe lack of imagination and creativity in the modern entertainment industry

The guy playing the instantaneous zombie transforming dude deserves an Oscar.

kman123:

Agreed, that was awesome!

I was kinda hoping that this film would be a faithful adaptation of the book but i'll happily settle for another 28 Days Later, i love that film!

Seriously hollywood why pay for the movie rights to WWZ if all you're going to do is another cheap american knock off of 28 day laters kind like you did with the spanish film REC which you copied and somehow made shittier when you created quarantine.
Seriously for every hit hollywood makes they make like a 100 shitty decisions....

Oh look its 28 months later....

ciancon:
I was kinda hoping that this film would be a faithful adaption of the book but i'll happily settle for another 28 Days Later, i love that film!

Pretty much this. I'd love to see a proper adaptation of WWZ, but a decent zombie film that just happens to have an irrelevant name stuck on the front will work for me just fine (assuming it actually turns out decent of course).

The only real problem I can see with this is that it makes it that much harder for anyone to do a proper adaptation since the name and rights are already taken by this.

Wouldn't it be awesome it the movie was hyped as something nothing like the original book, it comes out, and all the hype was bollocks? The movie turns out to be exactly like the book. That would be awesome.

Now we just need to hope that is slightly possible.

Wouldn't it be awesome it the movie was hyped as something nothing like the original book, it comes out, and all the hype was bollocks? The movie turns out to be exactly like the book. That would be awesome.

Now we just need to hope that is slightly possible.

Hold on one second...they making a World War Z movie...with Brad Pitt...<Mind Blown>

OT:Until we see it in context this could be just footage of someone with rabies

i think if you'd follow the book properly you'd have a great movie, seeing as how a lot of it is flashbacks, i'm pretty sure you could pace it properly, goddammit

kman123:

Yeah, was honestly surprised to see a person move like that. It's just... kinda creepy.

But yeah, just finished reading the book cause I heard it was filming in Glasgow, (my home town) and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Damn good read, movie probably won't be so good.

Well I'm glad it's another zombie movie we really don't see those often...

Disappointing. I was really looking forward to the Battle of Yonkers. The military might thrown at this mass of undead just slowly advancing on a fucktonne of quietly-shitting-themselves soldiers, ineffective waves of intense fire on an enemy that will only stop if its brain is destroyed. The wall of undead keeps advancing despite all the firepower and gradually engulfs the military forces who are pulled down one by one. I imagine it would be kind of like that scene in the pit in the 2005 version of King Kong, fighting but slowly being hopelessly overwhelmed - except with zombies instead of giant weta. Fucking awesome.

Anyway a shame it's not going to be like this. Fuck it, I'll just read WWZ again.

Its filmed in glasgow so I will go see it whatever really.

Let's hope that the producers (and the rest of the crew) see all of the negative reception and then change the film accordingly. Having said that, I suppose the film still has potential considering the directorial talents of Marc Foster, oh, and Brad Pitt's acting ability (let's not forget how fantastic his portrayal of Aldo Raine was in Inglourious Basterds).

That just looks like had some sort of massive seizure.

Le sigh - The book was largely great, with a few minor flaws, but this doesn't look much like what was in the book.

TimeLord:
So this is going to be another '28 Days/Weeks Later'?

There goes all my interest in the movie. I wanted a true blue zombie movie. Not some fast paced action movie.
You can add as many talented people as possible to a movie, but if the basic idea is flawed, then talented people do very little for my enjoyment.

Unless it's Liam Neeson.

Liam Neeson is, indeed, a god. As for the movie, I'm willing to wait until the release to pass judgement, but it does seems like they just took the name of the book as a movie title and then set fire to the book.

TimeLord:

Edit: I can see why it's turned out like this. Hollywood looked at the book and thought "Not fast paced enough, add more action" and completely changed the plot, time it was set and the motivations of the main character to match what would appeal to the general population rather than make an interesting documentary/film that would only appeal to fans of the book (which there are quite a few by my reckoning). Basically, money. It's come down to how much they can make from as many people as possible when the film is released. Well so much for that, I'm pretty sure they have pissed of so many original WWZ fans (like myself) that they have shot themselves in the foot already. I would have loved to go see this when it was released in the cinema but now I'll probably wait until it's on Sky unless it gets really good write ups from Brooks fans.

I honestly think this was a bad move by Hollywood - true, action flicks get attention and the horde (of people, not zombies) into the cinema's, but if their's one other movie of that type on at the same time (i.e. Final Destination 10 or whatever), it'll flop. Having the documentary-type movie, or even just a story set in the same world, would have at least made it stand out from everything else; if done right, it could have been like "Inception" - a smart, unique angle movie that racked in the cash.

WaReloaded:
Let's hope that the producers (and the rest of the crew) see all of the negative reception and then change the film accordingly. Having said that, I suppose the film still has potential considering the directorial talents of Marc Foster, oh, and Brad Pitt's acting ability (let's not forget how fantastic his portrayal of Aldo Raine was in Inglourious Basterds).

True... I suppose my initial reaction of dispair was abit premuture - however, the shift in key details within the plot aren't good signs for the movie.

wooty:
More zombies? Why more zonbies? The only thing thats rotting away and causing people to look on in horror is the severe lack of imagination and creativity in the modern entertainment industry

i dont think imagination matters anymore when you can make money off of it...

Okay, this looks bad, but let's not be too hasty here.

Firstly, the plot. World war z was essentially a collection of short stories told through interviews. Whilst a killer premise for a book, it would be hard to translate it directly to screens. So, they go with a different plot, but it could still be good if it at least glimpses at the stories of the other characters in the book, though, I'd prefer more than "glimpses", and captures the realistic dread of max brooks' zack-filled universe.

And this footage. The zombie survival guide (which links in to world war z) mentions a period of convulsions in the infection process. Hopefully what we're seeing is a bite victim later down the line. He looks fast, but then again, we haven't seen him run. We just saw him go a couple of steps and start attacking the car door. Why the hell he did that, who knows, but still.

I'd also like to remind people this is but one take of one scene. Hopefully, shortly after the leaked footage was taken, the extra was told to slow down his performance.

Again, I'll admit things ain't looking good, but they ain't doomed either. Save the angry mobs for IF it actually is messed up.

Then we shall beseige the directors house dressed as zombies and see just how little he knows of max brooks.

So...it looks like some new zombie movie might suck, and/or be exactly the same as previous zombie movies?

There's a surprise.

Hell, even the Resident Evil movies got fed up with zombies and had to move onto super-zombies and Las Palgos (sp?) because normal zombies aren't remotely interesting anymore.

Yay, another olympic zombie sprinter movie. Sigh.

Fast zombies are better anyway.

this does not look great, I don't see the obsession with running zombies, the whole point about zombies is that they are slow but unrelenting, a mass of creeping death

Did they actually read the source material at all?
This was my problem with The Walking Dead.
I'm sure it will be a perfectly adequate film, but they've taken the name of something I love, and then seemingly changed so many aspects that it might as well be named something else.
I'm not saying that I hate it when they change things, and I can see why they would make most of them, but still, why bother buying the rights only to change it completely?
Oh yeah, money.
It's a shame though, the book would make a great film if adapted faithfully.

running zombies are more terrifying than the original shambling ones.

with that said. they are fucked up by naming a movie after a property and not adhering to the plot at least.

I never knew Zombies could have epileptic fits until I saw that video. From the looks of it, it's going to be a pretty crappy film regardless of what it is called and how many hollywood big hitters have their names slapped across the posters.

More people should make adaptations (good ones mind) of HP Lovecraft stories. The Call of Cthulhu silent film was amazing and zombies have been overdone so much that they deserve a break. Who wouldn't want to see a film based on The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath? Space cats from Saturn are way better than zombies.

they should change the title. this isn't World War Z

Lonely Packager:
That just looks like had some sort of massive seizure.

Am I the only one that thought that guy was running over to help him and drag him to safety? Then I guess he got "eated"? Hard to tell what was happening to him.

I think I'll stick with what has proven, so far, to be a faithful adaptation :O

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.