Sony "Considering" a UMD Conversion Program For the Vita

Sony "Considering" a UMD Conversion Program For the Vita

Don't chuck out all your UMDs just yet, Sony is considering a program that will offer you downloadable versions of your PSP library.

So you've bought one of those fancy new PlayStation Vitas in a desperate bid to stave off the terrifying hollowness that seems to permeate every corner of your being, but what's going to happen to your collection of PSP games? Are they destined to become the paperweights and amusing novelty routers of tomorrow? Not quite yet, apparently.

Sony has confirmed that their new handheld will be backwards compatible, with around 500-600 titles from the PSP's library working flawlessly on the new hardware. There's one tiny problem. While the Vita is a testament to technical excess, sporting a fancy OLED screen, two cameras and slightly more touch sensitive part than seems decent, it doesn't have a UMD drive. Panic not! According to Destructoid, Sony is "considering" a plan to provide downloadable replacements for your UMD based games.

Sony did promise a similar program for their poorly received PSP redesign, the PSP Go, and never came up with the goods, leaving PSP Go owners to hoot angrily and smash UMDs against the screen of their new handheld in a desperate bid to make it run Patapon. Strangely enough, the PSP Go did not sell very well.

Source: Destructoid

Maybe common sense will prevail. Why not have a trade in system swapping old umd's for digital copies?

I hope they come through this time, unlike with the GO, I was perfectly happy with my PSP GO until it became apparent I would never be able to play birth by sleep on it and that is why I sold it and got a PSP 3000.

It will be a smart move by Sony. And we all know Sony needs smart moves in the handheld department. I will be very glad to use my 10 UMDs in the Vita.

Learn with past mistakes, Sony. We want to give you money, don't disappoint.

StrixMaxima:

Good luck with that one.

My bet is that Sony will "consider" it. And continue to "consider" it. And keep "considering" it. Eventually (like 4 years from now) they'll announce that they can't do shit about it because they have to get too much legal crap past too many publishers.

......I'll just hold onto my PSP. I can't trust Sony to provide digital versions of all of my games.

Too bad I sold almost all of my UMD's about two years ago. I still have some lying around, but not many. Mostly because they weren't very good games...

I could play my UMD's on my PSP, you know the Vita isn't going to make it disappear. Besides, digital copies of all my games (Which is only like 10) would fill up the hypothetical memory card. Speaking of which do we know what kind of memory the Vita is using and how much they'll cost and store? As soon as I get a job I'm hoping to save up to get a Wi-Fi Vita, a good memory card, a couple of launch games, and some PSN cash. I'd like to know how much I need to save...

Grey Carter:

So you've bought one of those fancy new PlayStation Vitas in a desperate bid to stave off the terrifying hollowness that seems to permeate every corner of your being,

Projection much?

So these 500 games, is that just all the PsP games that are available on the PsN?

The control stick on my PSP is broken and I want to play Valkaria Chronicles 2 again, make it happen sony and I will be pleased. Also don't region lock so I can play some from of the third game.

you also promised that for the GO and failed to go through with it.

if they did this then I would eventually get one since I dont trust my psp to keep working

I'm all for it, even though my PSP collection is very lacking at the moment.

I've been meaning to pick up Persona 3 Portable in stores but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I don't want to be charged $40 dollars for a digital download.

Please Sony, make it happen. I have over 80 UMD games (because fuck digital,save for PSN exclusives and my second copy of Duodecim), I'd like to be able to play them on the Vita if ever I am in the mood to play them without having to carry two systems. Of course my PSP won't just vanish the second I get a Vita, but it's nice to have the option.

Still gonna hold onto my PSPof course and use it if this doesn't come into fruition. After all, the primary reason for my to buy a Vita is to play VITA GAMES.

I really hope this happens, I really do since I have a lot of UMDs. Yet, I don't see myself getting rid of my PSP just because the Vita can do this, possibly. Besides, my PSP has been a trooper and I want to keep it around just in case this doesn't happen and I can keep playing UMD games.

Please, Please happen, I only RECENTLY adopted the PSP and I would really like to bring the games over.

drisky:
The control stick on my PSP is broken and I want to play Valkaria Chronicles 2 again, make it happen sony and I will be pleased. Also don't region lock so I can play some from of the third game.

I heard it was Region-Free, then again I heard that someone was in talks to bring it over (then gaain I heard that last one from an 'Insider' so hey who the fuck knows? am I right?)

drisky:

Neither the PsP or the Vita are region locked.

This will come in handy for playing all 3 of my PSP games if I cannot resist getting Persona 4: Golden Ultimate Extreme Fanboy Edition, and the necessary PS Vita on which to play it.

I get slightly annoyed when companies release BARELY-upgraded versions of their handhelds for the next handheld generation and expect previous generation owners to buy it. I never looked twice at the PSP Go, or the DS Lite, or the DSi. And I know the 3DS has much higher-end hardware, but I'm having trouble caring about it, too.

Depending on the workings, I'd be happy to accept this for ALL digital distribution games. It's be nice to say turn in PS1 games for the acdess to the digital copy, say an exchange program at gamestop or a sony store.

... wait... is this thing going to be all digital, too? I might pass on it then.

Assassin Xaero:
... wait... is this thing going to be all digital, too? I might pass on it then.

No...it's been confirmed since the beginning that it will be using physical game cards along with expandable memory to save music, downloads, and all that junk. Since the thing doesn't have a UMD drive, only means of backwards compatibility is through downloading them off the PS store...and of course people don't wanna rebuy their games.

kinda sad I sold a good chunk of my UMDs, but the ones I have recently imported, well, I will carry them to my grave ... or the vita. And, Gundam vs Gundam Extreme Plus better come out on the Vita!!! :)

If this happens I will buy this system.

this has been what i have been mentioning for months! I spoken on the subject saying i want someone to hack the firmware so I can legally play digital copies of my umd psp games but if they do this....well

Oh so thats what the Vita was... Hadn't realised that sony had already given the NGP a name... Well just goes to show how much attention I pay these days...

I'm going to miss UMDs. If there were a sale where the downloadable version is $5 less than UMDs, I go with the download. But if they are the same price, I go with UMDs. And often UMDs are cheaper if you find them on sale. I love listening to it whirl inside the PSP. Gone are the days...

And some games like Dungeons and Dragons Tactics have no download option. If you want to play it, you have to scrounge around for the UMD on EBay.

I know there is going to be some physical media replacement and it is simply the optical drive that will be lost. Still I feel it is the end of an era. Whether they really took off or not, UMDs are pretty cool.

I might consider getting one now. Of course, the only PSP games I have on UMD are the first and second Dissidia, War of the Lions and Crisis Core.

Pingieking:

StrixMaxima:

Good luck with that one.

My bet is that Sony will "consider" it. And continue to "consider" it. And keep "considering" it. Eventually (like 4 years from now) they'll announce that they can't do shit about it because they have to get too much legal crap past too many publishers.

That's what I'm thinking is going to happen too.

They're probably hoping that by that time the weekly firmware updates (that don't add new features but only serve to foil hackers for a few days) will have frustrated people to the point where they don't even want to turn the thing on anymore...kind of like the way I feel about my psp and ps3.

That.. would be really, really nice.

Though what's the betting that, if it happens, Popolo Crois and the other special little games in my PSP library aren't going to be in on said program? x.x

-Seraph-:

Assassin Xaero:

No...it's been confirmed since the beginning that it will be using physical game cards along with expandable memory to save music, downloads, and all that junk. Since the thing doesn't have a UMD drive, only means of backwards compatibility is through downloading them off the PS store...and of course people don't wanna rebuy their games.

Except Sony wants you to rebuy the games. So, of course their "we're considering it" will turn into "we couldn't find a solution, so tough luck", which is exactly what happened with the PSPGo (and the PS3 regarding PS2 games...which instead get "HD" versions to rebuy...), and look how well that did (although it also didn't exactly upgrade the hardware to go with the upgraded pricetag...).

Sorry Sony, I just don't believe anything you say anymore. I guess I will have to ignore this thing until it becomes hacked in a way I can play that which I have already purchased on it, or else continue to play the games I have on the old system.

Well im actually looking forward to the vita. i sold my psp a long time ago and was kicking myself since then. i think sony is realising they need to do this in order to keep fans of the psp.

Eh, I waited for Sony on the GO... but then I just hacked it, and used my slim (with UMDumper) to get my games on it.

I'll just wait for the Vita to be hacked, and transfer some ISO's...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here