Deus Ex Gets Augmented with Star Wars Advertisements

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Deus Ex Gets Augmented with Star Wars Advertisements

If the bewildering amount of recent Star Wars advertising, hype, and skepticism has you annoyed, you'd best not boot up Deus Ex.

A recent patch for Deus Ex: Human Revolution inserts advertisements for the "updated" Star Wars blu-ray collection into the game.

The game's loading screens, which are both frequent and long, have been shamelessly updated with a glaring banner for Lucas' latest alteration (to be diplomatic) to some of the greatest science-fiction films ever.

The ads aren't even cleverly disguised into billboards or those crazy, futuristic screens that call you by name. They just sit there, standing out against the black and gold background.

I don't have a problem with in-game advertising as long as it makes sense. In fact, I expect it in sports games and racers. But this?

I never asked for this.

Damn, that's subtle isn't it?

I always like the way things were advertised in the Wipeout games. Ads work if they're used properly withing the context of the game.

Methinks having a Blu-Ray release of Star Wars advertised in Deus Ex (you know, the future), is really out of place.

Like you said, I actually enjoy some in game ads. It adds a bit to the world. Gives it a little more depth. It works even better if they work the ad into the art style of the game.

But just sitting there in the loading screen? That's crap.

Deus Ex: HR just dropped another step on my "wanting to buy" scale. For fuck sakes.

No one asked for this, or the horrible changes made to classic movies.

I stand by my belief that George Lucas made a deal with the devil for a hit movie and the cost was that he would go exponentially insane as time passed.

Glad I finished the game before this patch installed.

Get outta my game, George Lucas!!

But, seriously?
Don't care.
Playing it on Xbox360 - don't have XBL because I'm lazy/cheap/don't care.
Update won't affect me.

The game is now staying on my shelf. Star wars can edit: go away at this point. We've all seen it, literally everyone has seen it. If someone hasn't its because they looked at the premise and decided it wasn't for them.

There is absolutely no need for more star wars.

If it's simply during the loading screen and doesn't make it last longer than it should in anyway, I could care less. You can't exactly break immersion more with a loading screen, so if I was to have the ad anywhere that would be where it'd go.

I really don't see the point in all the bitching about this.

Oh hey, I saw those same ads on the Subway level in the new Mortal Kombat game. Along with the other background ads on that level, it worked there.

Wow, you people will complain about anything these days, huh?

Modding time.

Assuming that somebody has put together some tools... ..which at present is unlikely. Uhg.

"which are both frequent and long"

I wouldn't say 10 seconds once or twice a mission is either of those.

Its not like loading screens are the most immersive point in a game anyway so I don't think this will bother me.

After finishing the game last night, I have to wonder, where this "loading screens are all over the place and take ages!!" thing is coming from.

Is it a console problem?

As for seeing ads on loading screens, it could sure ruin your experience if you're very into the game and suddenly you see an ad for Subway

What? Whaaaaaaaat? Lame... my favorite game, being marred by something like that. So stupid :/

aaaaah it's times liek this I enjoy not using xbob live (Not getting the kinect patch till portal 2 installed it offline ftw!)

Ha, Good thing I just completed it like 2 days ago! Boom: luck!

I don't have a problem with in-game advertising as long as it makes sense. In fact, I expect it in sports games and racers.

Here's the problem, you give them an inch and they take a mile or ten. Advertisers don't restrain themselves. They will insert ads anywhere they can. Don't even give them an inch, you paid for the game and you shouldn't be advertised to.

Jesus Phish:
After finishing the game last night, I have to wonder, where this "loading screens are all over the place and take ages!!" thing is coming from.

Is it a console problem?

I must echo this sentiment/question. My computer's a 7-year-old piece of shit and I have to turn all the graphics to the bare minimum to get it to only hiccup occasionally and I have no complaints about loading times or frequency. Especially when doing sidequests in city areas, I can go almost an hour without a single loading screen. If anything, I'm glad the game has so few.

OT: It depends on how blatant the advertising is. The car ad in Alan Wake made me facepalm whereas the Iron Man 2 movie posters in Splinter Cell: Conviction didn't bother me at all. Movie posters are pretty common and the game is set in the present, so it worked fine as set dressing. Perhaps the fact that the ad is for the new Star Wars version that's already pissed a lot of people off is making it worse?

Daystar Clarion:
Damn, that's subtle isn't it?

I always like the way things were advertised in the Wipeout games. Ads work if they're used properly withing the context of the game.

Methinks having a Blu-Ray release of Star Wars advertised in Deus Ex (you know, the future), is really out of place.

Me thinks being advertised at in that fasion in any game is ut of place. Its a great big immersion breaking dick-slap in he face. I mean it would utterly runin my day to boot up Metro 2033 and find an advert for a completely inrelated product.

I HATE this trend, not every space on the freaking earth is meant to have an advertisment slapped on it, i am NOT willing to tolerate someone intruding on my media to try and turn my into more of a cash-cow. It just drives me to use cracks, ad-blocks and piracy to not feel like im under assault in every second of my day. It makes me want to break stuff, or more accurately break the doucebag who thinks that something i paid for is fair game to use to force advertisments on me. Its not. It makes me feel like i don't own the product and everyone involved does not respect me. "Congratlations! You paid £45 for this! Now we are going to sell parts of your game as ad spce and try and flog you totally random shit"

Things that i will tolerate being advertised in games;

Their own DLC if it is subtle and just on the menu screen (im looking at you DA;O, sop story to try and sell me DLC IN WORLD)

Expansions, Sequels, Pervious instalments. Same deal, i wouldn't mind if i booted up a game and found a nice litte "Get X new/older game in series" or "Buy expansion". Its their product and you would proabaly be genuinely interested in it. Valve does this well when you are waiting for a game to update, just a subtle little Also by valve box. Its actually a nice touch.

Strictly related merch; Books based n the series or the like would be fine to be advertised on the menu screen. I might be a big fan of the game and again this wouldn't look out of place and might interest people.

I don't know why more games don't do advertising like this, i honestly wouldn't mind at all. It would piss less people off.

As much as I cringe when I see the new ads for Star Wars, I couldn't care less when a game advertises in a loading screen. If it's on a console I usually have gone off to do something else (if loading takes a bit to do anyways) and if it's on PC I always play my games in windowed mode and I go bullshit on the internet waiting for the game to load, either way it doesn't effect me or even get in my way of enjoying my games.

It's too bad I can't even afford the game right now, I really like the Deus Ex series...

Never buying Deus Ex anything, ever. Tnx for the warning.

Nicolaus99:

Don't pass off a great game just because of this.

Sure, it's a pain in the arse, but it's not worth not playing a brilliant game.

Come on. It's the future. Shouldn't they be adverts for the 7D augmented hyper-ultra-high-definition Director's Cuts with 110% more Jar-Jar?

Rofl, I bet the pirate version doesn't have ads.

I'm so happy I don't get new releases anymore, the "industry" has succeeded in sucking all the fun out of gaming. Ads break immersion, that is their whole point, they make you think about the product or service being advertised. When I'm playing a game I don't want to think about anything else.

I'm glad I didn't buy this game.

The big publishers can all DIAF as far as I'm concerned. The best gaming experience nowadays are independent games you can buy direct from the developers.

Minecraft
Gratuitous Space Battles

tanis1lionheart:

Surely you mean:

I actually really like advertising in universe. It adds a great deal of depth to the world.
But that's just silly. As if they needed more revenue from DX:HR, which is already a great game that as far as I know sold quite well.

Lukeje:
Come on. It's the future. Shouldn't they be adverts for the 7D augmented hyper-ultra-high-definition Director's Cuts with 110% more Jar-Jar?

Also, in a flashback, Greedo is shown shooting Han's parents, siblings and pets, and then urinating on their remains, proving that Han is such a great guy, that he won't even kill Greedo until he shoots first.

Welcome to the game industry's cherished notion of non-ownership; your games are their games, forever. If they want to alter your game and bother you with ads to make some cash, you will bend over and submit. Remember not to pirate!

So George Lucas isn't content with shitting on his own franchise, he has to take a piss on Deus Ex too.

What I find annoying isn't so much the ad itself, a little box on my loading screens certainly isn't going to kill me or tarnish my enjoyment of an excellent title, but that the devs would simply patch this in after release which doesn't give anyone the opportunity to vote with their wallets on in-game advertisement.

Someone already posted this yesterday, along with a download link for a modded game file that prevents the game from accessing the web for advertisement purposes. And voila! Star Wars-free Deus Ex.

Woodsey:
"which are both frequent and long"

I wouldn't say 10 seconds once or twice a mission is either of those.

Its not like loading screens are the most immersive point in a game anyway so I don't think this will bother me.

Hell, for me it's 5 seconds.

And even if it's really THAT bad, well there's this handy-dandy mod to remove them:

http://blog.gib.me/2011/08/23/deus-ex-human-revolution-no-ads/

Daystar Clarion:

Nicolaus99:

Don't pass off a great game just because of this.

Sure, it's a pain in the arse, but it's not worth not playing a brilliant game.

A man's gotta draw a line somewhere. For me, it's commercials. Particularly in products I've already paid cold hard cash for. TV, Internet; that's just the nature of the beast, it's not like I forked over a wad of cash for content on either. A brand new video game? I'm not going to pay $60+ dollars to have my screen plastered up like some kind of internet malware spam page that inclines me to drive my fist through the TV. It's like paying for HBO and STILL having to sit through commercial breaks.

Whatever Deus Ex's qualities as a game, this is a shameful insult to paying customers. In fact, who allowed this to happen? Ion Storm & Eidos eh? Good to know. Names worth remembering to blacklist in the future. Again, am very grateful to The Escapist for this warning. Was actually considering giving Deus Ex a try.

Wow, that's bullshit.

Thankfully my SSD and i7 take care of loading screens, so I'll never see it should I replay the PC version.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.