Would You Pay Almost $60,000 For A Cell Phone?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Would You Pay Almost $60,000 For A Cell Phone?

Sure, it doesn't do much, but this is literally a solid gold cell cell phone ...

For most people, a couple of hundred bucks is a lot of money to throw down for a cell phone. However, Danish retailer Aesir has a new model that's going for way more than that, and with way fewer features. The new model doesn't play games, access the internet, have a camera, or even feature an email app (though it will allow users to send text messages), but it's totally made from gold and is selling for $57,400.

Aesir is apparently marketing its 18-carat gold (limited-edition, of course) phones at "Moscow's fashion-forward elite." If that demographic doesn't sound too familiar, here's a translation: Aesir wants to sell these phones to super-rich people who have other (less rich) folks who manage their calendars, read their emails for them, and drive them around town while using cheaper phones with GPS features.

Speaking to Reuters, Aesir founder Thomas Jensen explained that the phone is "not a play thing ... It's a collector's item. People are used to collecting, say, watches, while designer phones is a practically empty niche."

Aesir is reportedly going to design a new phone every 18 months, which it will only produce 5,000 units of. Currently, the plan is to sell the gold model for the aforementioned price and a stainless steel version for $9,867.

$57,400 is a lot of money, no matter what you're planning to spend it on. In fact, there are a lot of better uses for that amount of cash. You know, like a college education.

Source: Reuters

Hell, I wouldn't pay more than $60.

Yeah I've seen these before, Rich Rappers buy them, then they go obsolute, then they get another.

It looks gross. I'd rather have a standard iPhone type thing.

I will never understand my species love of shiny stuff. Gold is a worthless metal. To soft to build with heck pure gold can be bent by the thumb and forefinger of a child. It has no real use what so ever outside being shiny. Steel is shiny and it can be useful. Heck gold has to be mix with something to hold a shape.

I will truely never understand humans well other human. I don't really understand me eaither all well.

God, even if I was really rich I wouldn't bother with that.

Yes, yes I would. If I had the cash to spare that is

Ugh, I can just replace the back and side panels of an IP4 for a lot less, and then you can actually use it.

so they are buying a gold phone with less functionality than a $30 prepaid phone purely as a collectors status symbol that says "im rich". damn you would have to be so self absorbed and insecure to want that.

anyone else see the person texting on their gold phone as they ignore the homless people they walk past?

I think I'll hold out for the chocolate or PEZ versions.

No. Unfortunately I was and still am poor. Been poor my entire life. I know the value of a dollar. And this isn't worth it.

Ugly, low-tech, likely to get stolen and overall just a sad waste of good gold especially in the times we live in.

Actually, I wouldn't pay the normal 200$ or so for that phone if it meant I had to use it rather than sell it on. That's some butt ugly shit right there, not to mention it's pretty useless as well. Oh and anyone considered the weight of a phone made of gold?

Pfffttttt, not even in my DREAMS would i buy that. There's so many other things i could buy. *Goes to ice-cream store*

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO. Especially not one so ugly.

Only if it gives blowjobs and prints money.

I don't own a mobile .... why the hell would I buy one that cost more than my car.

Blue Hero:

And shoots shurikens and lightning.

This is a pointless phone, sure it is made of gold and has some limited features, but I'd rather get one of those old Nokias with Snake on it.

For that ugly mess no. I would if it like...never needed to be charged, I could go deep sea diving with it and it like...looked not like crap.

Hell I think paying more than 60 bucks is much. Maybe thats because I'm not getting paid at the moment....but it cant do anything other than make calls and text? Why carry it around in your pocket then? No one is going to see it unless you whip it out.

And people will give you confused and disgusted glances like you whipped out your schlong or something...at least thats what I think.

As if the Ferrari wasn't rubbing it in your face enough.

Not even if i had several Billion pounds to spare.

Eh, it's no different to an expensive car, or as that guy said, a watch. I've always been the logical sort, so I wouldn't buy this, or a "nice" car, nor indeed anything that sells itself on it's brand. Still, it's a great idea. This guy just made a lot of money.

For the Eden of The East Celecao phone? YES I WOULD.

SL33TBL1ND:
Hell, I wouldn't pay more than $60.

Pretty much this. Damn things break when you throw them at things anyway.

brunothepig:
Eh, it's no different to an expensive car, or as that guy said, a watch. I've always been the logical sort, so I wouldn't buy this, or a "nice" car, nor indeed anything that sells itself on it's brand. Still, it's a great idea. This guy just made a lot of money.

no because you can get a nice car for 50 grand (cheaper than that phone) and it still be
a) significantly better than cheaper cars
b) have valid reasons for its price ( such as styling,speed,mpg etc)

I wouldn't buy that even if I had the money, it looks awful. That 5 million dollar iPhone looked a lot better, but I wouldn't buy that either. It's an iPhone...

IceStar100:
I will never understand my species love of shiny stuff. Gold is a worthless metal. To soft to build with heck pure gold can be bent by the thumb and forefinger of a child. It has no real use what so ever outside being shiny. Steel is shiny and it can be useful. Heck gold has to be mix with something to hold a shape.

I will truely never understand humans well other human. I don't really understand me eaither all well.

Just because it's worthless in Minecraft, it doesn't mean it's worthless in real life:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold#Use_and_applications

I do agree, however, that using all that gold just to make things expensive and expensive looking is a waste. I wouldn't buy it even if I had the money.

When I saw the title my first thought was "So they announced the iPhone 5 price"...

bahumat42:

brunothepig:

no because you can get a nice car for 50 grand (cheaper than that phone) and it still be
a) significantly better than cheaper cars
b) have valid reasons for its price ( such as styling,speed,mpg etc)

But the phone is far cheaper than a ferrari. I'm talking about it on a scale, not as a direct comparison. And the phone is stylish, to some I'm sure.

Pfft that looks like a terrible phone. I'd much rather buy a gold cover for an existing hand-held device.

sweet it'll go with my solid gold toliet

Doom972:

IceStar100:

Just because it's worthless in Minecraft, it doesn't mean it's worthless in real life:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold#Use_and_applications

I do agree, however, that using all that gold just to make things expensive and expensive looking is a waste. I wouldn't buy it even if I had the money.

I will give it has use but the only one of those that is not a given use. Like how paper money is useful only becuase we all agree it is useful. Is it's ability to be highly conductive for electronics.

Drudgelmir:

Blue Hero:

And shoots shurikens and lightning.

Did everyone after you really drop the ball? Well, I'll pick it up I s'pose.

Also, it has to have tits and be on fire.

OT: Just...the amount of money you have to have to make this purchase without a second thought is straight up obscene. Like, have your own island already, obscene.

Imagine if it were made by Apple, they would release a newer, ever so slightly better version for the same price later in the year.

IceStar100:

Oh, gold has more uses than that, mainly in circuitry.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here