Would You Pay Almost $60,000 For A Cell Phone?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reminds me of Yusuf Amir from "The Ballad of Gay Tony". Badass.

Fact: You have WAY too much disposable income (and are probably a douche bag) if you even consider buying this phone.

BanicRhys:
It looks gross. I'd rather have an iPhone.

Which is about as overpriced. BOOYAH!

Anyway, I think Aerosmith said it best: EAT. THE. RICH.

Nah. This is my phone here: http://www.mobiledia.com/phones/images/sonyericsson/z710i.jpg
I think it cost about $100, maybe. Best phone ever.

It looks nice but that's about it.

BanicRhys:
It looks gross. I'd rather have an iPhone.

Sure. You could have this one here, only 5 mil: http://stuarthughes.com/newdawn/product_info.php?products_id=102

Doom972:

Just because it's worthless in Minecraft, it doesn't mean it's worthless in real life:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold#Use_and_applications

Gold isn't useless in Minecraft anymore, it's used to make powered rails which are damn useful now that Notch disabled the booster bug: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Powered_Rail - this functionality makes gold the most useful metal in Minecraft if you're into building railroads everywhere.

Aesir? I think I killed their CEO. Are they still selling that Valkyr drug?

That'd probably be quite painful to hold given how good gold is at conducting heat.

No I won't buy that since it's pointless without games and internet (granted I don't use the internet on my mobile but it would be handy).
I know two people who would buy that in heartbeat-

2. That person who comission a gold plated yacht (someone mention that in the forum months ago).

good lord no thanks

even if had that kind of money laying around there are much more useful things i could buy/use it for.

Hm, depends... what's the plan like?

The type of person who would actually spend that kind of money on an essentially useless phone just to show off deserves to be stripped of their possessions and forced to live under an overpass faster than you can say "conspicuous consumption." The fact that these things sell is a prevalent symptom of why we have so many monetary problems in the world.

For that price I'd expect it to be entirely covered in gold at least, strange design. Overall thought totally pointless money sink.

For the grand finale, he should post the list of buyers on his web site.

Then offer to buy videos of them being put up against the wall for $100 ea.

IceStar100:
I will never understand my species love of shiny stuff.

"Oomans are pink and soft, not tough and green like da Boyz. They'z all the same size too, so they'z always arguing about who's in charge, 'cos no way of telling 'cept fer badges an' ooniforms and fings." - Ork Boy

Those wacky collectors.

IceStar100:
I will never understand my species love of shiny stuff. Gold is a worthless metal. To soft to build with heck pure gold can be bent by the thumb and forefinger of a child. It has no real use what so ever outside being shiny. Steel is shiny and it can be useful. Heck gold has to be mix with something to hold a shape.

I will truely never understand humans well other human. I don't really understand me eaither all well.

Gold is useful, its used in electronics for having a low electrical resistance and scientific experiments

That thing is ugly as sin.

I don't care if it is made out of solid gold, it looks horrible.

And it can't even play Angry Birds.

Aeshi:
That'd probably be quite painful to hold given how good gold is at conducting heat.

Can't wait 'till the first complaints come in "I want to complain about my golden phone" "What seems to be the problem?" "It fucking melted away during my business call!"

OT: Screw that and and anyone who buys it. I say buy yourself a reasonably priced phone with all the functionalities you need and then give the other 50000 dollars to charity or something.

vansau:

Sure, it doesn't do much, but this is literally a solid gold cell cell phone ...

Isn't gold rather heavy? It doesn't sound very comfortable to carry.

I wonder what kind of warranty it has for parts....

I think silver would look better and a steampunk cellphone would sell better for uniqueness(at a lower price of coarse).

Only if the phone in question shot shurikens and lightning, was on fire and had tits.

Heh, the electronics in that phone cannot be worth a single dollar, if all it can do is texting and basic phone duty.

The money they ask for it buys you a kilo of pure gold. Obviously, this item won't be pure gold and it will only weigh a fraction.

IceStar100:
I will never understand my species love of shiny stuff. Gold is a worthless metal. To soft to build with heck pure gold can be bent by the thumb and forefinger of a child. It has no real use what so ever outside being shiny. Steel is shiny and it can be useful. Heck gold has to be mix with something to hold a shape.

I will truely never understand humans well other human. I don't really understand me eaither all well.

Have you by any chance read Conn Iggulden's Conqueror series? That first paragraph reminded me very much of Temuge's speech on the worthlessness of gold when someone attempts to bribe him with it.

OT: Assuming I was appropriately well off, I'd buy one just to toss in a fire, just to see the look on someone's face. (I haven't decided who, yet.)

Am I really the only one on a gaming forum who immediately thought of this when I read the company's name?

Well moscow does have the most amount of millionares in any city.

i dont know. probably not. I like the phone I have now, and already know which one I'll get next when the contract comes up for renewal. Besides, I dont really like that brick and morter watch design

binnsyboy:

IceStar100:

Have you by any chance read Conn Iggulden's Conqueror series? That first paragraph reminded me very much of Temuge's speech on the worthlessness of gold when someone attempts to bribe him with it.

OT: Assuming I was appropriately well off, I'd buy one just to toss in a fire, just to see the look on someone's face. (I haven't decided who, yet.)

No but I am now very intrested to wiki.

Hmmm, actually if I was rich and could afford it I might very well spend the money on one.

I think the point being missed here it that it's being developed as a collector's item, as opposed to a toy, which the developer specifies. Something like this is likely to increase in value, especially with a limited run of only 5,000 of them. Ten, Twenty, or even a hundred years down the road something like this could be worth millions.

It's sort of like collecting anything from comic books, to sports memorbilia, or perhaps most relevently to this paticular creation... artwork and jewelery.

As a nerd you might get why someone might pay tens of thousands of dollars for a rare comic book... like an original, first print "Superman #1", this is the same basic thing but it's intended for someone into differant things from you.

Laugh if you want, but if I had millions I would definalty be interested in collecting curios and oddities like this, especially seeing as if something happened to my money I could probably sell them for more than I paid for them on a collector's market. It's stuff I can appreciate for the cool/odd factor, but also comes with a degree of piece of mind.

I very much doubt many people would actually be using these phones to do their business off of. Those that did would actually benefit the people who put theirs into display cases or whatever because the value of the surviving ones increase every time one is broken/lost/wears out.

Of course I'm never likely to have enough money to obtain things like this. At any rate, if anyone on these forums ever DOES come up with that much money, I'd hope they have the wisdom to see where I'm coming from here.

On the one hand, I suppose it contributes a little to the economy. On the other, this reveals horrible, horrible design flaws in our psychology.

If ppl are willing to spend $30k on a watch, i.e. Rolex. Why the fuck not for a phone?

when you make a more than $100 mil a year, its hard to spend all that money XD

Solid gold? I see no gold LCD screen... LIES!!!

Sounds gaudy and impracticable, like the gold Wii.

$57,400 is a lot of money, no matter what you're planning to spend it on. In fact, there are a lot of better uses for that amount of cash. You know, like a college education.

Chances are their target market already bought all of those they need.

not for that fuck ugly phone

I hate gold, and things that are made to look gold. Even real gold jewellery just looks disgustingly tacky in my eyes.

I like my things to be awesome at what they do, being shiny and "pretty" is often more than annoying.

IceStar100:

Gold is one of the least resistive metals on Earth, highly useful for electronics. I guarantee there's gold in your computer. Not only that, but it makes excellent heat shielding, you don't see gold on the underside of the bodywork of race cars because it looks pretty. Lastly, it's pretty heavy, it makes a decent(If expensive) alternative to lead shot when it comes to weighing things down.

That phone isn't solid gold, it's clearly got those plastic(?) black parts and that LCD screen. It's probably stuffed with cheap silicon.

Show me a real solid gold phone and then I'll be interested.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here