Force Feedback Tech Offers The Joy Of Impalement

Force Feedback Tech Offers The Joy Of Impalement

A newly developed force feedback device finally allows users to experience the best part of gaming: Being stabbed.

If you're reading this text, I feel pretty comfortable in assuming that you are aware of "force feedback," at least subconsciously. Your Xbox 360 controller rumbling when you get shot? That's force feedback. In essence, it's a way of offering tactile, real-world sensations to a player based on events that occur within a game. The goal of the whole concept is "maximum immersion."

Unfortunately, to date the various force feedback systems have only ever been able to produce rumbling, jarring sensations. That works fine for impacts and your average "giant minotaur stomping a shockwave into the ground," but it fails to capture the experience of more subtle, pointed danger.

Luckily, researchers at Japan's University of Electro-Communications have created what they call a "phantom sensation device" that offers wearers the sensation of items passing through them by alternately stimulating two opposing points on the body.

Geek.com explains how the gadget currently works:

The sensation device is still in development, but currently relies on a Wii Remote to track the movement of your hand in 3D space. A vibration unit is then placed on the front and back of the hand that can vary the amount and timing of the vibration being applied on either side. Introducing software to that equation allows the user to experience an object on screen passing through their own hand.

The test setup currently uses a ball that drops from the top of the screen to the bottom repeatedly. If the user wearing the phantom sensation device positions their hand correctly, they can both see and feel the ball passing through their hand.

As you can imagine, that ball test is simply a proof of concept. Once all the kinks have been worked out, this tech could be tied directly to games, offering players the sensation of having bullets pass through them mid-firefight.

Pleasantly, the device seemingly simulates this violence without all the messy pain normally involved in that sort of thing. Users feel something enter them, exit the other side, and presumably live the rest of their lives in fear of amorous ghosts.

Despite the impressive work these researchers have done so far, this technology is still very much in its infancy. Don't expect the next PlayStation to penetrate anything other than your wallet.

Source: Geek.com

If they developed something like this for the PS3/360, then everytime I played an fps I'd look like I was being attacked by wasps..........I die too much.

I don't like current gen fps games so I'd hold out until they integrate this with that new holosuite technology. By the way am I the only one who read Force Feedback and pictured something WAY different?

The senation of something entering and exiting your body, hmmm...

I can't be the only one who immediately thought 'Helloooo sex game,'

I guessing the Wii would make use of this simulation (since they were using the remote. Still shouldn't the simulation would be quite painful since that what I feel if I get stab.

What are the odds of you posting a news article on "impalement" shortly after I was just reviewing some info on Vlad Tepes?

Pretty high it would seem.

Couple this with RO2 and I'll instantly know to press F and not bleed out.

Just a question here, little thing that bothering me, who wants to know what its like to be stabbed?...

Holy. Fuck. While it isn't all pain-stimulating, it's still gonna feel weird and intense when you see your in-game character get stabbed and you actually feel it inside your body.

On a side note, we can only imagine how visceral this would make Assassin's Creed...

This sounds very interesting. But I have a feeling it would mess up with my immersion rather than help it. This kind of technology should be developed alongside the holodeck technology. It will make sense only in a holodeck.

fix-the-spade:

No, I immediately thought that when I read in the title "the joys of impalement".

Uhmmm, 'Shadow of the Minotaur' anyone?
Spooky close...

I was not aware that being stabbed is the best part of gaming.

Thank you for enlightening me.

shouldn't she be screaming? I imagine an object going through you would be quite painful...

Hmm, not sure how painful this would be, but it certainly would be interesting to see it implemented. If nothing else, the consequence of feeling the bullets go "through" your body when you run out and get shot may lead to smarter, more tactical FPS gameplay. It could probably help in military simulators too.

am i the only one who thinks might be a government ploy? think about it. the games out on the market are so violent, so gory, and so realistic, they basically emulate a REAL world shootout. gamers, oer time, develop squad combat tactics, and even leadership and command skills. at the same time, the regenrating health and respawns, effectivly train you to not be afraid of chargeing an enemy to kill him.

NOW theres a possibility we will see games that emulate the feeling of a bullet passing through the body? i SERIOUSLY think this is all a ploy for the guvmints to train their youth to be more effective soldiers when they impose the drafts again.

i was reading an article a long while back, saying how soldiers in ww2 had no clue what they were getting into when they first hit combat. they said it was an overwhelming and terriying experiance. HOWEVER. returning vets from the middle east, who have played games like call of duty, said they had a good idea of what to expect, and when shit hit the fan, they reacted, instead of freezing -in most cases-

i dunno. i might be paranoid. but with gameing getting closer and closer to a perfect, VR simulation, you have to ask youself these kinda questions..

Adam Jensen:
This sounds very interesting. But I have a feeling it would mess up with my immersion rather than help it. This kind of technology should be developed alongside the holodeck technology. It will make sense only in a holodeck.

i don't know when i think of this i think how a game such as skyrim would befint from this with all the sowrds and stuff i guess in theroy it is a case of getting used to it. Sort like how it tooks us all a while to learn how to use a controller i guess its a case while have to wait and feel.

Well we have impact feed back (rumble) all we need is to have different sensations such heat, cold , wet, etc... COme to think of it aren't we getting closer to the whole perfect immersive game?

Programmed_For_Damage:

fix-the-spade:

No, I immediately thought that when I read in the title "the joys of impalement".

They're called dildos. They've been around for a while.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here