The Witcher 2 Gets Witchier With an Upcoming Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Witcher 2 Gets Witchier With an Upcoming Update

Witcher 2 developers CD Projekt continue to set a great example of how to support and update a release with a glut of improvements for their flagship title.

Going live on September 29th, the upcoming update for The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings upgrades the game to version 2.0, includes over 40 under-the-hood tweaks and adds a few very welcome features.

The biggest improvement, at least on paper, is the addition of a proper tutorial. Many players struggled with the opening segments of the game, which see albino-playboy-cum-monster-hunter Geralt taking part in a series of increasingly frantic battles, culminating in a mano-a-garra slugging match with a dragon the size of jumbo jet. This, you understand, was the tutorial. After the update, players will get to perform a few perfunctory quests in a remote village in the forest before the story begins, allowing them to get to grips with the game's controls without the constant threat of fiery death.

Now for those who are actually quite fond of fiery death, the update also adds a much-more difficult "Dark Mode." As well as sounding kind of rad, Dark Mode adds various darkness themed goodies, including three sets of armor, three new swords and new quests. The mode is apparently going to be so difficult that CD Projekt is offering a mystery (thus far) prize to the first sap with enough free time and determination to beat it.

Finally there's the Arena Mode. A separate experience from the main campaign, it sees Geralt, and a number of mercenaries, fighting a parade of monsters for the enjoyment of a bloodthirsty audience. The battles are timed, and the crowd will respond to your performance, cheering for quick and gruesome kills, or chucking various rotten vegetables at you if you're a bit crap.

The update is free for current Witcher 2 owners and will be applied automatically when you start up the game on the 29th. New players will be able to pick up a boxed version of the game, complete with the 2.0 updates for a new reduced price. The upcoming 360 "adaptation" will also feature the 2.0 content.

While the free updates are certainly welcome, I can't help but feel sorry for those who've already battled their way through the now antiquated versions of The Witcher 2. Luckily, I never got very far in the game because I couldn't get past the bloody dragon I was busy with other, great titles.

Source: Eurogamer

It's a shame really, I want to play this game, it seems really good, but this is the kind of game that I'd transfer my save from, and the first game was kind of... well, shit.

Once I get a better PC, I'll play the Witcher. I wanna see what all the fuss is about.

I really hope one of the under the hood fixes is the targeting system. I really really hope that's fixed.

So the game is finally finished, after how many months of it being on sale? 40 fixes and finally a tutorial? Glad I didn't buy this early. Then again, my computer couldn't run it.

lol

Nice to see that the 360 version is still coming, and with a tutorial to boot!

This is a nice little treat to those who didn't get in the Diablo 3 beta and are looking for some rpg action

hazabaza1:
It's a shame really, I want to play this game, it seems really good, but this is the kind of game that I'd transfer my save from, and the first game was kind of... well, shit.

You're save really doesn't do much. At most it adds a couple items to your inventory at start and changes a bit of dialog in side missions.

OT: Sweetness. Wonder if there's some stuff to help with performance. Granted it's already decently optimized, but optimizing a bit more couldn't hurt.

Already finished it 3 times but i'm incredibly tempted with that 'Dark Mode'.

Might be worth going through it again for more challenges and new stuff.

I will play this game when we get a 360 version, if I try to run this bad boy on my cute little web browsing laptop it just might blow up.

Irridium:

hazabaza1:

You're save really doesn't do much. At most it adds a couple items to your inventory at start and changes a bit of dialog in side missions.

Huh. I would've expected a lot more changes.
I'll probably just download a save file that suits me if it's not that important. Thanks.

Yes! Having just finished the first one (finally), this is great news. Really glad, they're dropping the price, too. Now to just convince my wife that the expense it worth it...

Dark mode sounds fun, and i didn't found that the "old" tutorial was so hard... for real.

Sober Thal:
So the game is finally finished, after how many months of it being on sale? 40 fixes and finally a tutorial? Glad I didn't buy this early. Then again, my computer couldn't run it.

lol

Yeah, I couldnt agree more.

Not like the game was already a masterpiece on day one, more "finished" than any game that came out in recent history, or that other devs would charge 10 bucks for this new arena mode. Its not like the game has a wealth of content already. And boy, imagine if the game already had 4 difficulties anyway!

OT: Fuck yeha.

Yeah I got an e-mail about this. But is it free? I do want to play this game over again, it really has that re-play value to it. And the new hopefully free goodies will make it more interesting.

I'm not too excited about the tutorial, I like the old school way of having a game manual and then it expects you to read it, like The Witcher 2 is your lectuer and then you don't read it and fail miserably, I like that.

This game is amazing, can't wait for the arena. Def in my top 3 games ever.

Might actually see if I can win against Dark Mode, but I know I'll die SO fast.

Valagetti:
Yeah I got an e-mail about this. But is it free? I do want to play this game over again, it really has that re-play value to it. And the new hopefully free goodies will make it more interesting.

I'm not too excited about the tutorial, I like the old school way of having a game manual and then it expects you to read it, like The Witcher 2 is your lectuer and then you don't read it and fail miserably, I like that.

Yes, it's gonna be free. Just fire up your game on the 29th of this month and watch it update (or read a book while you wait).

Kahohess:
Dark mode sounds fun, and i didn't found that the "old" tutorial was so hard... for real.

Same here actually. I guess we're just super-awesome :D

I almost pee'd my pants when I saw the news at GoG. They're also reducing the price to $40.

For anyone (myself included) that haven't got the game yet, this is the perfect opportunity to do so.

Grey Carter:
While the free updates are certainly welcome, I can't help but feel sorry for those who've already battled their way through the now antiquated versions of The Witcher 2. Luckily, I never got very far in the game because I couldn't get past the bloody dragon I was busy with other, great titles.

Maybe THAT's why Obama can't get anything done: He got stuck on the Dragon to!

I was one of the people who was really frustrated with the difficulty level of the opening parts of the game. They really were too hard for a first-time player, especially compared to the content right after. That said, when you play through again, it's easy as pie. I honestly wondered why I struggled. Still, it's good they're trying to rectify that situation. I have no problem with hard games, but weird difficulty spikes and anything that's too unfriendly to newcomers can be detrimental to a game's success.

SupahGamuh:
I almost pee'd my pants when I saw the news at GoG. They're also reducing the price to $40.

For anyone (myself included) that haven't got the game yet, this is the perfect opportunity to do so.

It's 30$ on Steam... For now at least.

Valagetti:

Yeah, I loved that it didn't hold your hand at all, it just threw you into it and said "This key does that, that key does this, now go and try not to fail too hard." I miss games that don't spoon-feed the player, it's all too rare these days.

I look forward to playing through again and seeing what changes there are. I've only played through about four or five times so far. CD Projekt have more respect from me than almost any other developer, except maybe Valve.

Mr.Tea:

SupahGamuh:

It's 30$ on Steam... For now at least.

But if you get it from GoG.com more of the money goes to the developers, and there's NO DRM on it. At all. Support the right way! :)
OT: After my 8800's burned themselves down simultaneously, I finally have a card that will be able to handle this game (i hope?) again. Gonna have to fire up ye ole gtx560 and see how she handles things.

Nice, looking forward to this update. I'm a bit anxious about the dark mode thing though. I'm almost worried I won't even be able to beat the game on this mode even though I made it through the normal mode w/o much issue.

I saw this on the website, and got an email, I'm excited. The Dark armor will be epic, i hope.

2733:
I will play this game when we get a 360 version, if I try to run this bad boy on my cute little web browsing laptop it just might blow up.

Keep hoping, boy-o. I know I'm going to sound like a dick no matter how I phrase this, so I'll be blunt: The Witcher is a PC-exlusive game and DAMN proud of it! They'd have to move as many units as Halo 3 to even consider joining the console battlefield.

Ninjaedit: That said, I know that feel. Very well.

Time to finish Witcher 2.... again

Never beat the Witcher 2.
Never going to beat the Witcher 2.

Dont even know why I posted really...except to say why was the tutorial NOT in the original game?
A TUTORIAL? Really guys I mean even flash games have them.

What too good to put one in?

Seems that I have to play it again with a new difficulty setting

Btw the tutorial was ok, you just had to read the stuff in the log

ScrubberDucky:

2733:

Keep hoping, boy-o. I know I'm going to sound like a dick no matter how I phrase this, so I'll be blunt: The Witcher is a PC-exlusive game and DAMN proud of it! They'd have to move as many units as Halo 3 to even consider joining the console battlefield.

They announced it for the Xbox back at E3, y'know.

Sanaje:

ScrubberDucky:

2733:

They announced it for the Xbox back at E3, y'know.

Well, look at the egg on my face. *Cough*

lithium.jelly:

Yeah, I loved that it didn't hold your hand at all, it just threw you into it and said "This key does that, that key does this, now go and try not to fail too hard." I miss games that don't spoon-feed the player, it's all too rare these days.

There's not hand-holding and then there's putting you in the game without a bloody idea of what to do. The Witcher 2 fell into the latter.

coldalarm:
[quote="lithium.jelly" post="7.314391.12756295"]
There's not hand-holding and then there's putting you in the game without a bloody idea of what to do. The Witcher 2 fell into the latter.

It told you plenty. It said which keys did what, suggested you parry and dodge to avoid hitting, told you about bombs, and said "Go to it." If you needed more explanation, that's why there's a manual. Playing on medium to start with I only died maybe three times in the prologue, all of which were in the group fight outside the temple, which gave me enough practice to avoid dying afterwards until about halfway through the first chapter.
Maybe they could've emphasised a bit more that it's a really really bad idea to let yourself get swarmed, but other than that I don't see what more was needed.

In patch 2.4 they'll introduce 'chest-hight walls' for those finding the game still too hard.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.