Famitsu Goes Nuts for Gears of War 3

Famitsu Goes Nuts for Gears of War 3

Four-player co-op and strong multiplayer scores points for Gears 3 in Japan.

The Xbox 360 isn't a huge hit in Japan, but that doesn't mean that a good game can't get some kudos from the Japanese gaming press. Famitsu, one of Japan's leading videogame magazines, has given Gears of War 3 a near-perfect score in its latest issue.

Famitsu's four-person panel awarded the game three tens and a nine, a score shared by only 25 other games in the magazine's 25-year history, and only beaten by a further 15. Famitsu's reviewers praised the game's graphics and multiplayer, as well as the ability to play through the story with four players. The magazine listed 15-20 hours to complete the main story, and then an infinite amount of playtime for the game's multiplayer; the publisher apparently often supplies these figures however, so make of that what you will.

Sadly, despite this excellent review, Gears 3 won't shift millions of units in Japan, because the install base just doesn't exist there. Then again, it may help Microsoft sell a few more consoles in Japan, which is good news for everyone.

Source: Andriasang

Uh huh. Wasn't that the magazine that gave Metal Gear Solid 4 a perfect score?

(Ohhh, look at me being all edgy and cynical.)

Zhukov:

It would have been a perfect score if only it had 20 more hours of cut scenes.

Usually I'd be jumping up and down saying that Gears 3 deserves such excellent praise, but Famitsu also gave Final Fantasy XIII that same score. Also look at the other games it's given the honour of a 40 or a 39.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famitsu#Perfect_scores

Nintendogs? Bayonetta? Pokemon Black&White? Final Fantasy XIII? Ultimate Ninja Storm? CoD Black Ops? New Super Mario Bros.?

I've played all of those games. Some are good, but I wouldn't call any of them perfect score material by a long way.

Well that's nice, isn't it.
Their top scoring games do seem to be a rather mixed bag, but who knows, maybe it will help sell a few systems over there. MS could certainly use the credibility.

As noted above, Famitsuu is a bunch of easy graders; there's hardly a game they don't give a stellar grade. I really wish we'd stop paying attention to them.

Must be my age, but these days a perfect score seems a good reason not to play a game, as they usually seem to be manufactured for a relatively large existing fanbase, usually with a decent amount of disposable income, without reguard to expanding the franchise.

Meta score of 70 - 80 is where it's at.

"15-20 hour to finish the campaign"

Bullshit, you're lucky if you get 10

I wonder if the Japanese players giggle as much at the huge macho characters of GOW as we in the West giggle at their androgynous teens.

Tis interesting to see that there is a player base for this type of game over there.

People still put ANY stock whatsoever into what Famitsu have to say? Ain't that some shit...

This isn't that big. Great, Gears of War 3 achieved the exact same score as Final Fantasy 13.

uh, ok, i guess.
i dont mind the gears of war series, but im not paying $98AUD for it and seeing as ebgames has pretty much locked prices and that its not on pc so my options are limited, i doubt i will be playing it for at least 12 months.

Rayansaki:
This isn't that big. Great, Gears of War 3 achieved the exact same score as Final Fantasy 13.

Yes but you see, Gears is a big unabashed western game. For it to do so well with the famitsu staff it not only has to be good, it has to be good enough to impress despite their distaste for shooters and the Xbox 360. In some respects Gears could be seen as the Rosa Parks of western Developed super macho space marine shooters. Granted, those respects would be slightly insane, but it's a matter of perspective.

15-20 hours?

man the Japanese must suck at shooters, 5 hours at most 8 if you're a noob

Ghengis John:

Rayansaki:

Yes but you see, Gears is a big unabashed western game. For it to do so well with the famitsu staff it not only has to be good, it has to be good enough to impress despite their distaste for shooters and the Xbox 360. In some respects Gears could be seen as the Rosa Parks of western Developed super macho space marine shooters. Granted, those respects would be slightly insane, but it's a matter of perspective.

Their distaste of shooters didn't stop them from giving the same score to MW2 and RDR and Black Ops.

Yosato:
Usually I'd be jumping up and down saying that Gears 3 deserves such excellent praise, but Famitsu also gave Final Fantasy XIII that same score. Also look at the other games it's given the honour of a 40 or a 39.

Nintendogs? Bayonetta? Pokemon Black&White? Final Fantasy XIII? Ultimate Ninja Storm? CoD Black Ops? New Super Mario Bros.?

I've played all of those games. Some are good, but I wouldn't call any of them perfect score material by a long way.

Well, in my opinion you shouldn't give games a perfect score.

Nevertheless don't hate on Bayonetta, it was awesome!

Trasken:
"15-20 hour to finish the campaign"

Bullshit, you're lucky if you get 10

As mentioned in the article the publisher gives out these numbers

Ghengis John:

Rayansaki:

I personally would say it did as bad as FF13.

How they thought that box of crap was "near perfect" is beyond me and ruins their credibility.

Yeah, the 15-20 hours thing kind of concerned me as well. Single player on Hardcore won't even last me 10 hours. Unless there's an unseen asterisk where they include dying eight hundred times and doing a lot of repeats.

Rayansaki:
Their distaste of shooters didn't stop them from giving the same score to MW2 and RDR and Black Ops.

Well to be fair, RDR wasn't really a traditional shooter. It was more an RPG. Yeah you shot guns, but you also wandered around a vast countryside, exploring freely and doing quests.

FelixG:
I personally would say it did as bad as FF13.

How they thought that box of crap was "near perfect" is beyond me and ruins their credibility.

I would say it's a matter of personal preference, or maybe cultural differences. You have to think that somebody released FF XIII and was happy with that product when they put it on the shelf, and some people out there as you see from cosplays and fan panels honestly loved it. I never even played it, but I'm citing it to note the Japanese love for games like final fantasy, not a personal value assessment.

But thank you for taking time out of your schedule to let me know that you hate things.

Reading Gears3 articles makes me want to reinstall GoW1, play it and then bitch about how Cliffy B and his mates decided not to give me the other two games on the PC as well... :(

Zhukov:

FelixG:

Well that's what they like in Japan :P

Ser Imp:

Zhukov:

FelixG:

Well that's what they like in Japan :P

I was hoping for some kind of pun :(

The imp is my hero! :P

bakan:

Yosato:

Well, in my opinion you shouldn't give games a perfect score.

Nevertheless don't hate on Bayonetta, it was awesome!

And in my opinion, scores shouldn't exist.
But agreed on Bayonetta. It's the best Kicking With a Giant Boot from Another Dimension simulator ever! It's also the best action/hack and slash game I've ever played.

Ghengis John:

But thank you for taking time out of your schedule to let me know that you hate things.

Just because I think that it is a crap game does not mean I hate it, hate is a strong word and I reserve it for other things/people, and I would kindly request you dont put words in my mouth good sir/madam!

FelixG:
Just because I think that it is a crap game does not mean I hate it

Well that's good to hear, actually. A tip of the hat to you then and you can have my apologies right here and now. I just don't enjoy negativity, between the phrase "box of crap" and the idea that their credibility was ruined by liking something you didn't the post came across to me as particularly spiteful. But the nature of text as it pertains to the internet is such that it's hard to know some one's intent and you never used the word hate. And it's sir. I have a brother named Felix as it would happen.

How dare them give a mainstream game a high score! Gears of War 3 is another horrible AAA game that only twelve year-old kids and fratboys play. M$ paid them to give this abomination a high rating.

Ghengis John:

FelixG:
Just because I think that it is a crap game does not mean I hate it

Well that's good to hear, actually. A tip of the hat to you then and you can have my apologies right here and now. I just don't enjoy negativity, between the phrase "box of crap" and the idea that their credibility was ruined by liking something you didn't the post came across to me as particularly spiteful. But the nature of text as it pertains to the internet is such that it's hard to know some one's intent and you never used the word hate. And it's sir. I have a brother named Felix as it would happen.

I will admit its plenty spiteful, I bought it for a friend cause he loves Final Fantasy games before this one, he pops FF13 in and was horribly disappointed with the game, so even though he said he was happy for the gift I still get the...displeasure of giving a friend something he didnt enjoy.

So thus my reason for summing up the game in such a way. But yeah, their credibility was ruined over a more wide variety of scores than this particular one.

Logan Westbrook:
Then again, it may help Microsoft sell a few more consoles in Japan, which is good news for everyone.

Well, except maybe Nintendo and Sony.

Yosato:

What? Dead or Alive 4 got that a 39/40? But it was just a worse version of DOA3
Pokemon got a perfect score?

A high score is starting to look like an insult.

In my eyes, Famitsu has always given high scores to the least deserving games throughout their history.

For example, every single game coming out of Square Enix is almost guaranteed to get 35/40 or higher, the only exceptions being blatantly horrible ones such as Dirge of Cerberus. In fact, they tend to give near-perfect scores to any JRPG with a reasonable amount of hype behind it. And like others have mentioned above, their choices of "perfect" games tend to be... less than stellar ones... The only notable aspects of them is that they're made by well-regarded companies or use a highly profitable franchise.

Executive meddling abound, I suppose.

Well, Gears 3 is a really amazing game, it just works so well on every level - gameplay, graphics, sound, it's a wonderful game.

15-20 hours is ridiculous. I beat GoW 3 in less than 8 hours. It felt like a bit of a rip-off. The game was over just as I was getting in to it.

harvz:
uh, ok, i guess.
i dont mind the gears of war series, but im not paying $98AUD for it and seeing as ebgames has pretty much locked prices and that its not on pc so my options are limited, i doubt i will be playing it for at least 12 months.

Picked it up at Target for $70. Best $70 I've slapped down in a while.

Considering how I spent over an hour soloing the Lambent Zerker on insane, 15 with a serious asterisk seems somewhat reasonable.

Good game though, good enough to make me slap down $30 USD for that stupid season pass. Then again, it comes with a shiny weapon skin, and my TF2 playing has practically turned me into a magpie.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here