Modern Warfare 3 Getting Dedicated Anti-Cheating Teams

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Modern Warfare 3 Getting Dedicated Anti-Cheating Teams

Infinity Ward hates Call of Duty cheaters just as much as the players do.

Robert Bowling, Infinity Ward's creative strategist, says that the studio has learned its lesson from previous Call of Duty games, and is taking extra steps to curtail cheating in Modern Warfare 3. Bowling says that MW3 will have dedicated teams that look for anyone who is cheating and deal with them accordingly.

The teams won't be the game's only line of defense though; Bowling says Modern Warfare 3 will have improved code that checks for people using hacks in game, as well as using Steam's VAC - or Valve Anti-Cheat - technology. "There's been a lot of work put into it. I can't go into specifics. On a general high level area there's so much more stuff that we've locked down and made less accessible than we had before," he said.

"It's also about our ability to take action when stuff is wrong so we've done a lot of work in our ability to update the game more quickly and efficiently than we have before," he added.

While it's not deliberately designed to do so, returning to dedicated servers will also go a long way to keeping cheaters out of people's games. Having a dedicated server won't stop cheating directly, but it will allow admins to boot the offending player out of the game and let everyone else have their fun.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: GameSpy

Steam's VAC didn't really help the short time I played MW2 online.

Aimbotting and speed hacking along with exp hacking is among those I encountered.

I joined server, shot 1 guy and suddenly I lvled up to 70 :|

Not to mention if its a cheat server or similar, where the guy hosting it is the hacker/cheat.

Now, if only they could fix glitches and exploits within a few months of them being discovered and used.

It's about damn time!

There are more hacked/cheat servers in Modern Warfare games than any other I have played.

Wonder exactly what these people are going to do, and how reliable they'll be for kicking out cheaters and not kicking out non-cheaters.

Thank you Infinity Ward! You're officially redeemed in my eyes for the Elite atrocity.

Oh god, I hope this works. The amount of times I've logged into a server only to find that I can run a million kilometres an hour and am in possession of an RPG that fires multiple rounds per second is staggering. Servers like those are just boring and stupid. Although there was that one cool hacked server where everyone had finger guns...

Miles000:
It's about damn time!

There are more hacked/cheat servers in Modern Warfare games than any other I have played.

Ya, only other place I found hacked servers was TF2 on the xbox.....Yes, I played TF2 on the xbox in the start, don't judge me! >.>

Going back to dedicated servers will help a lot, then server owners will not only be able to boot offenders (as mentioned in the post) but also be able add their own anti-cheat software. I remember back playing CoD4, our server had a really good anti-cheat system.

Really really hope this works it'll be so much better for casual players that don't spend every hour there awake looking for exploits and glitches to ruin the game for everyone else :-)

therandombear:

Miles000:
It's about damn time!

Ya, only other place I found hacked servers was TF2 on the xbox.....Yes, I played TF2 on the xbox in the start, don't judge me! >.>

I played TF2 on the xbox too.... once. Then got bored.

Only other game I've ever had hacked was World at War, and th..... oh wait. Still Call of Duty... -_-

They should go and have a look at call of duty 4's multiplayer.

Logan, was this a quote from Bowling, or your comment ?

While it's not deliberately designed to do so, returning to dedicated servers will also go a long way to keeping cheaters out of people's games. Having a dedicated server won't stop cheating directly, but it will allow admins to boot the offending player out of the game and let everyone else have their fun.

If its Bowlings' comment, I must laugh at the irony, or hypocrisy even, of it all as he told press that removing the servers from MW2 PC was to prevent cheating, that IWNet would provide a cheat free environment.

The real reason dedicated servers, run on community racks, can reduce cheating is that the community has invested reason to eliminate players that cheat and so they monitor the game more closely than the publishers... not to mention that a community run server only needs to monitor thier own servers, not every server out there.

Findlebob:
They should go and have a look at call of duty 4's multiplayer.

That is beyond help.

30% of COD4s servers are hacked these days. Kind of sucks when I want to go back and play the best of the series :(

therandombear:

VAC was doomed from the start with MW2, it's a very effective system, but it is reliant on having admins on servers to hand out instant retribution and generate event logs for it to work with.

Since MW2 allowed neithre private servers nor admin decision, VAC was/is limited to operating at it's timed updates, which does remove hackers effectively, but that's no good to you the player as it's only once a month.

I got 99 problems but a cheat ain't one

Dont give a fuck, I got dedicated servers. I can handle this shit myself. Sledgehammer should just stay out of the anti-cheat thing, they would probably only fuck up things more.

Its kinda funny that AlterIW reportedly had less hackers than the proper MW2.

therandombear:

Aimbotting and speed hacking along with exp hacking is among those I encountered.

A server did that to me, cheesed me right off!

Yay for dedicated servers though, sick of ending up on servers being hosted off some guys 56k modem.

Well, this should be interseting. Can't wait for November 8.
Good thing Gears 3 will keep me occupied until then.

Off Topic: Captcha: "votede 59-60." WTF?

Too little, too late.

T.O.S.E.R.S?

Khravv:
Going back to dedicated servers will help a lot, then server owners will not only be able to boot offenders (as mentioned in the post) but also be able add their own anti-cheat software. I remember back playing CoD4, our server had a really good anti-cheat system.

Is it a hammer?

OT: Anyway this should help to stop hackers but only thing that will really stop hackers is the banhammer or scythe wielded by a server admin. CoD 4 isn't too bad with hackers but CoD 2 is pretty shocking. Personally, the exp hacks aren't a big deal it is just an unnecessary grind and when others do it it does not ruin my experience of the game. The other hacks however, do ruin the experience. Stuff like Aimbotting and wallhacks do ruin the game for other people along with the menagerie of other hacks I could list.

A Social Reject:
T.O.S.E.R.S?

Ah you ass! You ninja'd me!

OT: Anyway, this is cool I guess. Will be nice to see these people get caught in game by the cyber police =)

"While it's not deliberately designed to do so, returning to dedicated servers will also go a long way to keeping cheaters out of people's games. Having a dedicated server won't stop cheating directly, but it will allow admins to boot the offending player out of the game and let everyone else have their fun."

I found that amusing. They cut corners in the past and it led to a boatload of cheating and now they want to charge for a service that doesn't let any random host lag switch (console) or flood/kick/or hack (pc) his way to victory. Nice. It wont stop cheating but maybe it'll stop random quitters that hold up the match while the game tries to find a new host...

Sucal:
Not to mention if its a cheat server or similar, where the guy hosting it is the hacker/cheat.

Preventing PC cheating is nearly impossible. Console gaming was supposed to help prevent cheating on the magnitude we've see on PC by leveling the playing field. That only goes so far though, especially when the dev and publisher refuse to support their titles.

I still believe the entire PS3 source code/Geohot debacle came down to allowing cheaters to have full access to the console which would have led to PC type cheating on the PS3. That would destroy multiplayer gaming on the PS3 so SONY took actions. So the little hackerbois rolled up their high waters and threw a fit while claiming they had some higher purpose to their shitting on everyone else's good time.

therandombear:

happened to me in 8 hours but i got sent into a moon jump sniper only instant level 70 game i couldn't do anything lol.

This is fantastic! th pc version was ruined by cheaters and not having dedicated servers. ^^

Well that's one problem down, maybe they can also get to work on fixing bugs and exploits that ruin the game, I'm sick of every new COD creating walls/blocks people can crawl into and be damn near invincible, it's one of many reasons I stopped buying the games.

I'm still wondering if it'll stop cheating entirely.

If there's an online community, no matter how good the security is, SOMEONE'S gonna figure out how to get away with cheating or hacking in some way, shape, or form.

I'm not opposed to cheating in games so long as everyone involved is on board with it. If cheating is done on an official server, no go. But a special server for dicking around with cheats and just having fun, that's perfectly acceptable. :D

Hope this works.I applaud IW´s efforts to punish and stop cheating.

Pfft...you can stop me from cheating in MW3 but good luck keeping me from cheating in Call of Duty 3.

Joking aside, sounds good to me. Being a console player though, I haven't encountered...ANY cheaters that I can remember using an actual cheat while playing a game online. The only time I remember anyone cheating online was while I played...was it Team Fortress one? I dunno, I just remember being a pyro and hitting a guy with fire for a full minute with nothing happening to him.

I miss cheats...I'm getting an action replay next check and catching em' all.

Anyone else think of the Tosers from Arby n The Chief?

Infinity Ward takes a step in the right direction?

STOP THE PRESSES!

That won't help, not while noob tubing and quick scoping along with the 90 OTHER broken mechanics still exist.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here