Middle-Aged Gamer Assaults Teen Over Black Ops Beatdown

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Middle-Aged Gamer Assaults Teen Over Black Ops Beatdown

A 13-year-old boy got the scare of his life when a middle-aged man he trash-talked in Black Ops tracked him down and "throttled" him.

46-year-old Mark Bradford of the U.K. was getting a rough ride in his online Call of Duty: Black Ops match. The beatdown was bad enough, but it was the inevitable trash-talk from the punk kid who was kicking his ass that really drove him around the bend. But when it finally got to be too much, he didn't take off his headset and stop playing. He went looking for the kid.

And he found him. The boy was at a friend's house not far from Bradford's single-room apartment; Bradford went to the house, entered the room where they were playing, grabbed his tormenter around the throat and started choking him. Fortunately, the boy's mother pulled Bradford away before he could be seriously hurt, although he was still left with scratches and reddening around his neck.

"I was just sat playing. We'd had a bit of a joke and then he stormed in and grabbed me," the boy, who cannot be identified, told the Daily Mail. "I didn't know what was going on."

"It's pathetic that a grown man would attack a defenseless child like this," his mother added. "If you can't handle losing to a child then you shouldn't be playing games."

Bradford, who has apparently suffered from mental health issues in the past, claimed that he just snapped after playing the game all day. "He was baiting me and baiting me and just would not shut up," he said. "He went on and on and I just lost it. I hold my hands up, I lost the plot. In a moment of madness I went round to his house. I didn't know what I was going to do."

Bradford was apparently able to find the boy because he's a "loosely-connected friend" of the family. He also claimed that he's seen him since and apologized for the incident, and that they still play online together. "He's actually a decent kid," he said.

Bradford pleaded guilty to one count of assault by beating. The court requested a full background report before sentencing, which is set to take place on October 24.

Call of Duty assaults people.

Can we ban it now?

*looks around meaningfully*

Any questions? ;)

I'd wager it equally pathetic for a 13 year old to throw insults at a grown man through a videogame.

Kid probably deserved it.

EverythingIncredible:
Call of Duty assaults people.

Can we ban it now?

Call of Duty doesn't assault people. People assault people.
You'll get my video game when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Wait, wrong issue.

OT: Crazy person does crazy thing. Video game is involved. News story.

Wow, I've gotten pissed off at little kids but I've never actually wanted to go out and raise my hands to them.

A man much older and stronger than you loses to you at a game. You relentlessly taunt him.

These are the situations the phrase "tempting fate" was invented for.

Does he know there's a mute function? Does he know his headset isn't sewn to his head? Does he know CoD's ONLY A GAME?

I'm sorry, but the kid should have shut his motherfucking mouth.

Not that I agree with what this fellow did, not at all. But I hold no sympathy at all for the little shit that got throttled, and his mother should have been paying attention to what he was saying anyway.

Wait, what happened to game ratings and good parenting?

I know those brats are really annoying sometimes and I would not have minded if he had just scared the kid but he clearly overstepped the line there.

GiantRaven:
I'd wager it equally pathetic for a 13 year old to throw insults at a grown man through a videogame.

Eh... No. 13-year-olds are allowed to be stupid (which is good, because they generally are). Assaulting a 13-year-old, on the other hand, when you are old enough to know better and should be aware of how bratty 13-year-olds are is just sad.

Plus, assault is always worse than trash talking.

Well I think most of us could agree that both the boy and the man where both acting like twats that day.

Christ, people online are such dicks that fantasizing about giving them a kick in the balls is tempting, but to actually go and hunt down a kid because it? Mental problems indeed.

Well, if they made up and they're actually kind of friends now, I'm happy as long as the guy doesn't get an overly long sentence, or a sentence at all.

Yep, sounds like an average CoD player. I'm not saying everyone is like that; maybe I've just had bad luck when I play. But you know there are some players that take their game too seriously. 'Tis why I prefer to remain anonymously and only befriend real friends. :]

Don't even get me started on those who can't lose to a girl...

Or the fact that now we'll have CoD Elite...

Or that MW3 is coming out...

And Battlefield 3...

And a whole bunch of FPS...

Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating.

Watch the media disregard his previous mental health condition and blame the game for making him crazy.

Prof. Monkeypox:

GiantRaven:

Eh... No. 13-year-olds are allowed to be stupid (which is good, because they generally are). Assaulting a 13-year-old, on the other hand, when you are old enough to know better and should be aware of how bratty 13-year-olds are is just sad.

Maybe if we'd call it "disciplined" instead of "assaulted"... assault is such an ugly word :D

see, this is why i miss lan parties so much, and generally hate online console multiplayer. the shit talk tends to get reigned in when it can, at any given moment, escalate into actual physical violence.

o_o ... yeah, totally sane! of course he should be loose in our society.

What's that? lock him up?! ... nha such a bother

Seriously. He shouldn't have choked that poor kid. He should have spanked him. Would have been funnier.

Can "Don't make me pull a Bradford" be a new meme now?

Is there a free cell in any jail nearby? care to take out some random person whose offense is minor and shove this man in there. That's where he belongs. If you can't handle trash talking online, you should stick to single player games.

krychek57:
Wait, what happened to game ratings and good parenting?

"Maybe if you knew what you were buying your kid, he wouldn't be getting choked."

...new ESRB ad?

TheBelgianGuy:

Prof. Monkeypox:

GiantRaven:

Maybe if we'd call it "disciplined" instead of "assaulted"... assault is such an ugly word :D

Oh, you kids and your semantics...

This story makes me very happy. PSN and XBL are both cesspools full of these little twats. It's good for them to find out what happens when your actions have consequences.

Okay, kid didn't deserve it, the dude had problems, he shouldn't be playing games, it's not the game's fault, yada yada......
Who the hell trash talks an adult who knows your mum?

Id send the mother to court for neglect for using an 18 rated game as a baby sitter for her 13 year old spawn.

OT there is too much hate for this guy who clearly has problems.

Xanthious:
This story makes me very happy. PSN and XBL are both cesspools full of these little twats. It's good for them to find out what happens when your actions have consequences.

Right, because a adult male assulting a child is clearly proportional retribution for trash talk.

/snark

OT: Bad parenting as well. The kid is a bit too young, don't ya think?

No, you guys need to understand, you do this trash talking and trolling in real life, this is what happens, people abuse the fact that they can't be reached over the internet, and they do what ever they want to get their jollys.

I say good job, and we need to show this to everyone so that people will think twice before talking trash, because that internet tough guy just may be able to get you, and if you wouldn't tempt fate in real life, why should you on the internet?

why can,t people act normal online?
BOTH of the are in the wrong
the kid for lack of manners
and the guy for not controlling himself.

GiantRaven:

Pathetic yes, equally pathetic, sorry, not by a long shot.

This is the greatest news I've ever heard.

The greatest news...I've ever heard.

Let me get this straight, going to Facebook Memorial pages to talk shit about the deceased to the grieving family is perfectly alright and within freedom of speech, but apparently talking trash in an online match is grounds for getting your ass kicked?

...Stay classy Escapist.

On the one hand, I'm glad the man held his hands up and admitted that it was wrong to assault the kid...

...On the other hand, I'm glad that kid got throttled! Assholes like him deserve a bit of comeuppance occasionally! Plus; why is the kid playing the game in the first place? 18 certificate for a reason! /hypocrisy.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here