Barnes & Noble Yanks DC Comics From Stores

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Barnes & Noble Yanks DC Comics From Stores

DC comic books are flying off store shelves, but they're disappearing from Barnes & Noble for a totally different reason.

DC comic books may be selling like hotcakes right now, but there's one place where they won't be sold for much longer: retail chain Barnes & Noble. The book seller has announced that it won't be stocking physical copies of DC graphic novels any longer. The reason? DC is exclusively selling digital copies of its comics on Amazon's new Kindle Fire tablet.

DC recently gave Amazon a four-month-long exclusivity deal to sell graphic novels on the Kindle Fire; the deal is set to go into effect on November 15th. Unsurprisingly, Barnes & Noble is not happy about this, and is citing its policy to not sell books that are available in digital formats that exclude its Nook e-reader.

The company's chief merchant Jaime Carey explained: "We will not stock physical books in our stores if we are not offered the available digital format. To sell and promote the physical book in our store showrooms and not have the ebook available for sale would undermine our promise to Barnes & Noble customers to make available any book, anywhere, anytime."

However, just because the comics are being taken out of the physical stores doesn't mean people can't buy them from Barnes & Noble, as they'll still be sold through the retailer's website.

DC, in turn, pointed out that that the digital comics will be available on any device that's compatible with Amazon's Kindle app. "We are disappointed that Barnes & Noble has made the decision to remove these books off their shelves and make them unavailable to their customers," a DC spokesperson said.

How did DC think Barnes & Noble was going to react to this situation? I can totally understand why the retail giant is upset about this deal between Amazon and DC, as it means a huge loss of potential revenue. At the same time, pulling the physical comics from store shelves while still selling them online seems like a response that is simultaneously petty and pointless.

Source: Los Angeles Times

Image Source

Seems like a child throwing a tantrum to me.

I could see why Barnes & Noble is not happy. But DC kinda walked into this one.

Local comic shops will probably see an increase in revenue because of this... how is that a bad thing?

EDIT: And yeah, that is a kind of round-about way of looking at this issue.

Seems like the tantrum throwing is not just between politicians, journalists and CEOs then.

Does everyone in the real world have this much trouble dealing with straight business issues?

If my mates (online/RL) do something that annoys me, I just ignore them or flick the Vs. What I don't do is storm off in a huff taking my ball in over the normal sleights of life.

Someone I know does, but he's a idiot anyway.

Next time, they should just get out the NERF guns and settle this like nerds.

its going to be funny to see the people say that B&N is acting petty or stupid or whatever when Microsoft did something near the same thing with its XBLA exclusivity (or lack there of) and people seemed to generally greet this as something positive or at least acceptable (if they werent involved in the fanboy wars).

The only thing I can say is, B&N, I enjoy your stores and while I get the principle of what you're doing and the reasoning why, you may want to be careful of just what bridges you burn. Though you really should either go all in or all out.

vansau:

DC comic books may be selling light hotcakes right now

I'll take eight of those light hotcakes!

Also, aww, B&N is butthurt their ebook reader isn't as good as the Kindle. Better luck next time, B&N!

Good news for local comic shops everywhere!

Yea, that's smart when similar companies *coughBorderscough* are going out of business. Let's just get rid of this hot-selling product where most would buy it because this company signed an agreement with someone else! Who cares if we lose sales, our assholeishness will pay off in the end because they'll come back to us on bended knees begging us to sign an exclusivity agreement of our own! Nevermind the fact that most people who read these comics will find a place to buy them anyways!

Seriously, this is just stupid. And I doubt they sell every book they sell in-store on their ereader anyways. I'd be surprised if they had every graphic novel/manga on the nook that they sell in store. It's possible mind you. I just doubt it.

So their potential profits are limited, so they decide to limit them more?

Ok.

Okay so they're the ONLY ones who are going to suffer from that decision. Take that hot selling product off the shelf this instant!

While the decision is questionable, the reasoning behind it makes a lot of sense. At least to me.

I'm not affected either way.

It isn't really an issue is it? Every bookstore I've ever been to stocks their comics on poorly balanced spinning racks that wreck them up the ass. No care taken at all and they look like they've been read through 40 times.

Cheap digital distrubution is more or less the future for comics.

Thought this was going to be another half joke about new superman saying god damn, or starfire being a raving slut in this iteration. I thought they were joking but then I read Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 loled good.

The_root_of_all_evil:
snip

Get out the NERF guns and settle this like nerds.

That sir is meme-worthy.

OT (so I don't get yelled at): Since the agreement with Amazon is only for 4 months, maybe B&N could have waited to see how things went, then got all pissy about it when/if it becomes permanent.

This draws many similarities from the whole Steam vs. EA fiasco, doesn't it?

This is probably because NO-ONE OWNS A NOOK

Okay hold up a second. Do Barnes and Noble seriously think comic book buyers use... Kindle. To the extent it will impact their business?

...Is no one seeing the humor in this. I mean no offense but the majority of comic book readers/buyers are not going to be owning a kindle and most of them want the physical copy for collection purposes.

Oh well, here's to the comic book stores. Carry on folks.

In other, more suprising news, apparently there is a Barnes and Noble still open somewhere in the world.

So rather than get *some* of the profits from selling these exclusive DC comics, they'd rather get *none* of the profits.... Am I the only one having trouble getting this logic? I realize there's certainly information involved in this decision I'm not privy to, but it just seems to fly in the face of common sense.

EverythingIncredible:
Seems like a child throwing a tantrum to me.

No, it's just "actually doing something about being slighted versus laying down and taking everything".

I'm actually with B&N on this one. DC wants to be exclusive in a format, fine, just don't expect favors from those you offend by doing so....

Then again I'm partly biased because I don't like DC as much as I do Marvel.

Fanfic_warper:
I'm actually with B&N on this one. DC wants to be exclusive in a format, fine, just don't expect favors from those you offend by doing so....

Except it's not about doing any favours. Also, I love what this says: We're not getting a cut from your digital sales, so now we won't get a cut from ANY of your sales. Screw you, nose, I'm out to spite my face

Hmmm, I'm wondering when people will learn that cutting off your nose to spite someone else's face is not great business practice.

Zachary Amaranth:

Fanfic_warper:

Except it's not about doing any favours. Also, I love what this says: We're not getting a cut from your digital sales, so now we won't get a cut from ANY of your sales. Screw you, nose, I'm out to spite my face

Again, see my personal bias on this issue.

Aw! I was hoping it was because DC's new line is full of disgusting sexist bullshit! :(

But I guess I'm done with DC anyway regardless of where I can and cannot purchase their bullshit comics.

Business! Dealings! Repercussions!

This story has it all.

Well, with this and the Borders closings, I guess I'm getting that new Kindle Fire for Christmas...

Fanfic_warper:

Then again I'm partly biased because I don't like DC as much as I do Marvel.

/facepalm. Its not exclusive... exclusive doesn't mean what you all think it means.

Number 1. you can purchase digital DC stuff through Comixology which does not require the kindle.

Number 2. Its only exclusive to the amazon app, not the kindle & since the Nook Colour can use the amazon App, the Nook can also read DC digital comics

Number 3. Of course DC is going to go with the Kindle Fire. The Kindle Fire has name recognition, Amazon backing (which also has name recognition), is more technologically advanced then the Nook, is newer then the Nook, is more competitively priced then the Nook & supports cloud storage.

No, this is just B&N throwing a big old tantrum because Amazon is once again getting the better of them... just like they have in every other field.

I know nothing about comics and I'm biased, so with that out of the way, good riddance. Lose the sales, B&N! That's what you get when you're idea of a coupon is 10% off MSRP.

Royas:
So rather than get *some* of the profits from selling these exclusive DC comics, they'd rather get *none* of the profits.... Am I the only one having trouble getting this logic? I realize there's certainly information involved in this decision I'm not privy to, but it just seems to fly in the face of common sense.

I don't think there is any logic. I can't imagine anyone gives much of a damn about B&N.com when online shopping because of the elephant in the digital room (i.e. Amazon.com), and I don't think anyone would really care about B&N's precious
"promise to Barnes & Noble customers to make available any book, anywhere, anytime" if they could still obtain an actual copy in stores. Seriously, if they didn't throw a hissy and kept the merchandise in stores it does fulfill their promise because they said books, not "ebooks for a Nook." If one can buy the product online in physical format[1], but not the digital format, and cannot acquire either in physical stores.... why does it matter... I... I just don't... *mind explosion*

Again, not a comic person, but I always guessed that part of the appeal was owning a physical copy; I'm similar with books and CDs.

How in the hell did Borders go under before this dumb company? Sheesh! :P

[1] "However, just because the comics are being taken out of the physical stores doesn't mean people can't buy them from Barnes & Noble, as they'll still be sold through the retailer's website."

Isn't this the exact same thing that happened between Ubisoft and Gamestop, only handled with bucketfuls more of grace?

DJDarque:
While the decision is questionable, the reasoning behind it makes a lot of sense. At least to me.

I'm not affected either way.

It doesn't bother me either, but that's because DC decided that my comics weren't good enough for a reboot. They managed to cancel my pull. If they had remade the comics I was reading, I would still be a DC customer.

I think Barnes and Noble should rethink pissing on DC over a short-term exclusivity deal. That's just me though.

In 3 months, are they going to come out and say that they're sorry for throwing a fit, and want the comics back. I'm sure that would work, but you just can't get those customers back.

Hmmm. In this day and age, this is a very dumb business move. Being petty and childish is unprofessional and ultimately costly.

XT inc:
It isn't really an issue is it? Every bookstore I've ever been to stocks their comics on poorly balanced spinning racks that wreck them up the ass. No care taken at all and they look like they've been read through 40 times.

Cheap digital distrubution is more or less the future for comics.

Thought this was going to be another half joke about new superman saying god damn, or starfire being a raving slut in this iteration. I thought they were joking but then I read Red Hood and the Outlaws #1 loled good.

I guess...Im relitivly new to the comic thing, but for some reason a physical copy of a comic just seems more..."right", more so than a book, I think because its more than text, its also pretty pictures

Vault101:
I guess...I'm relatively new to the comic thing, but for some reason a physical copy of a comic just seems more..."right", more so than a book, I think because its more than text, its also pretty pictures

The DC digital program isn't all that bad but I agree that it's much easier to admire the artwork in a physical copy rather than a digital one. The advantage I like best of the digital program is that it lets you pick up stories you're interested in following but don't want to devote shelf space for.

Getting to the topic of the article, however, I also feel like B&N is shooting themselves in the foot here. They set up these really nice comfy stores that encourage you to browse & pick up items you might not have known about so cutting down their selection means fewer sales and a bit of a bitter taste in customer's mouths since these items are not available because B&N refuses to stock them. I suppose I'll change my tune if DC caves and works out a deal that pleases the B&N overlords but since I don't really see that happening I just feel disappointed that my old favorite source of DC comic trades won't have them anymore. My local comic shop is awesome but just doesn't have the resources to stock a robust trade section like my nearest B&N did. Oh well. More money for Steam games I guess.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here