Barnes & Noble Yanks DC Comics From Stores

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

So they refuse to sell the books but then continue selling them on their website.

If you're going to make a stand based on principles then don't half-a**e it. Bloody companies.

Fanfic_warper:
Again, see my personal bias on this issue.

See, I am biased on many issues. I still manage to make comments grounded in reality, rather than making things up about expected favours.

For example, I haven't given a damn about DC comics in years. I've always been a bigger Marvel fan, just like you, and I'm still looking at this pragmatically, as in....

deadman91:
Hmmm, I'm wondering when people will learn that cutting off your nose to spite someone else's face is not great business practice.

Exactly that. Again, B&N is not really doing anyone any favours by stocking these comics in the first place. It's a business arrangement. Now, they're bitter they're not (temporarily) getting a piece of the digital pie, so instead of enjoying the benefits of the rest of the pie, they're saying "no pie for me!"

This will send actual, paying, physical customers elsewhere over an imagined slight.

vansau:
To sell and promote the physical book in our store showrooms and not have the ebook available for sale would undermine our promise to Barnes & Noble customers to make available any book, anywhere, anytime.

So you plan to uphold that promise by not selling it period.

XT inc:
It isn't really an issue is it? Every bookstore I've ever been to stocks their comics on poorly balanced spinning racks that wreck them up the ass. No care taken at all and they look like they've been read through 40 times.

It's a bigger issue than you'd think. B&N were really pushing their comic stocks, with whole shelves of new releases ready to buy.

A 'short term' exclusivity deal in the wake of a product launch is a big deal. There is no business in the world where this would not be an issue.

There is a proliferation of ebook readers at the moment. Heck, when I was writing my dissertation I had to keep 3 or 4 on standby in order to read all the ebooks I needed because they have no cross-capability. This is even more pronounced with things like kindle which have dedicated hardware ranges devoted to them, it's easy to put 100 pounds or so into a kindle reader. There is a lot riding on the success or failure of those formats.

Talk about customer choice all you want, but it's not good to force customers to use a new software application for every book they own. Most customers don't want to have 5 different ebook readers, they want one which stocks everything and Amazon (and probably B&N too) are determined that their format should be that one, with no regard for people who might already be using a different format. The result for those consumers is that they would either have to wait 4 months, get a new piece of software just to read those comics, or buy the comics twice. Neither is an optimal deal for the customer.

I have no sympathy for Amazon trying to strongarm consumers into using their product. I have no sympathy for DC accepting a big pile of money to go along with that. I'm actually glad B&N is taking a stance and hope that some people have the foresight to support them so that one day we can live in a world where we can read any book we want in whatever format we prefer, not stuck with one crappy piece of software and a bunch of ebooks we can't read because everyone else was muscled out of the business and there's no choice.

so... they are going to throw away incom (that will surely come from selling DC novels) because DC went ahead and did something that helps them (DC) and the competition (amazon) while not hurting barnes and novels at all...
well thats just plain stupid...

Does this mean they will have more marvel and image comics cuz Im down with that, if thats the case.

And once again, I have to ask why they don't have supermarkets stock some comics.

Dammit I miss Borders now.
This utterly sucks, I really only buy Trades of DC and Vertigo books.

(Face palm) I hate big businesses. I really do. Now what am I gonna buy when I got to Barnes and Nobles?! ...Oh wait.

vansau:
Barnes & Noble Yanks DC Comics From Stores

[O]ur promise to Barnes & Noble customers [is] to make available any book, anywhere, anytime.

So let's make less books available to our customers.

Makes a lot of sense, don't it?

Is B&N big enough to make this an antitrust issue?

Barnes and Noble are just shooting themselves in the foot. The only thing that will come from this is that they will lose money. Still, now I won't feel guilty about reading other comics there without paying for them.

Besides, it was only a matter of time before graphic novels moved to e readers anyway.

Although I understand B&N's "logic" in this, the heart of the matter is that their retail stores are the -only- advantage they have over Amazon.com, especially now that Borders is out of the picture. B&N should be doing everything they can to attract people to their stores, and regardless of lofty principles, anything that harms their stores is nail in the coffin. If they don't learn from this fiasco, then I have absolutely no sympathy for them.

So instead of stocking physical copies and making some profit, they've decided not to sell any. Well, I guess that makes sense, if they are trying to boost Kindle sales. Anybody who wants to buy DC now will have to do so digitally, which just means more profit for Amazon. Essentially, their solution is just going to ruin them even more.

They'll still sell the trade paperbacks, right? Because B&N is the only bookstore left in my town--rest in peace, Boarders--and I do occasionally pick up a Teen Titans or Gotham City Sirens trade paperback.
Just please, for the love of all nerds, don't stop selling manga. I will cry.

EverythingIncredible:
Seems like a child throwing a tantrum to me.

I 100% agree and extremely saddened by this. In the long run they are just hurting themselves... but not enough that they'll care. :(

our promise to Barnes & Noble customers to make available any book, anywhere, anytime."

And yanking them from the shelves helps them deliver on this promise?

I prefer Marvel anyway.

vansau:
"We will not stock physical books in our stores if we are not offered the available digital format. To sell and promote the physical book in our store showrooms and not have the ebook available for sale would undermine our promise to Barnes & Noble customers to make available any book, anywhere, anytime."

Allow me to paraphrase for him.

"Our promise to make available any book, anywhere, anytime, would be undermined if we made this particular book available."

Wait...what?

3AM:
[quote="The_root_of_all_evil" post="7.316866.12888848"]\
OT (so I don't get yelled at): Since the agreement with Amazon is only for 4 months, maybe B&N could have waited to see how things went, then got all pissy about it when/if it becomes permanent.

It's for the first four months of them being released. When the vast, vast majority of the copies will be sold. Telling B&N they can maybe have sloppy seconds to that is giving them the second finger.

Agreed that B&N's response loses its punch since they didn't drop it from the website too.

emeraldrafael:
its going to be funny to see the people say that B&N is acting petty or stupid or whatever when Microsoft did something near the same thing with its XBLA exclusivity (or lack there of) and people seemed to generally greet this as something positive or at least acceptable (if they werent involved in the fanboy wars).

The only thing I can say is, B&N, I enjoy your stores and while I get the principle of what you're doing and the reasoning why, you may want to be careful of just what bridges you burn. Though you really should either go all in or all out.

Was going to comment on how the XBLA thing got huge negative feedback while this is only getting slight negative feedback. This though sums up my whole point more or less.

Kakashi on crack:

emeraldrafael:
its going to be funny to see the people say that B&N is acting petty or stupid or whatever when Microsoft did something near the same thing with its XBLA exclusivity (or lack there of) and people seemed to generally greet this as something positive or at least acceptable (if they werent involved in the fanboy wars).

The only thing I can say is, B&N, I enjoy your stores and while I get the principle of what you're doing and the reasoning why, you may want to be careful of just what bridges you burn. Though you really should either go all in or all out.

Was going to comment on how the XBLA thing got huge negative feedback while this is only getting slight negative feedback. This though sums up my whole point more or less.

I must have left it early then. when I posted in it, reception wasnt really all that bad.

EverythingIncredible:
Seems like a child throwing a tantrum to me.

Pretty much this, they didn't get what they want so their gonna start screaming and whining until they do or until everybody loses.

All I can say about this is... Wow!

American Bookstores are huge, in the UK they are tiny.

So, when is B&N going to pull all the Harry Potter books from their shelves, since Rowling will be distibuting the ebooks exclusively on her new website and therefore not offering the digital distribution to B&N? Oh, yeah, they're NOT pulling those. Which means this is not a matter of principle, it's just anti-Amazon, and I hope it bites B&N in the butt.

This looks pretty clear cut to me. B&N has been a retailer for DC for years, and here DC comes along and very publicly urinates all over that agreement by giving another retailer exclusive digital rights, even if it's for a limited time.

Unfortunately for B&N, they're not in the best of all bargaining positions, and it's likely that DC knows that. So B&N is fighting back against the Amazon behemoth in the only way it can, even if it's quite likely that by removing DC comics from their shelves they will be giving Amazon even more business.

I suspect Barnes is going to go the way of Borders in the not too distant future. And they deserve it, after destroying the mom and pop niche bookstores.

So, good luck with your nook.

I wish they'd add the truth to their response somewhere, like 'because we want to make money off our Nook thing', because everyone knows that's probably the main reason. But then it's a big corporation... so what do you expect?

okay...I really like Barnes and Noble (not so much DC comics usually) but man...that's totally the business plan to not go the way of Borders

sooo to make all books available to everybody you pull comic books from the stands?
LOGIC!

This is pretty much all meaningless to me besides that fact that another large book seller is hurting it's own flagging sales and finding a actual book seller is a pain in the ass.

I miss Borders.

TehCookie:
I miss Borders.

So do I I went from having to go fifty miles to find a book store to seventy.

I don't give a shit about their spat.
What's annoying me is that we're going to have to start dealing with this exclusivity crap with books now? It's bad enough with video games and all the different formats for that, now we have to worry about that for books?

I'm really not looking forward to the day when you can only watch Sony Pictures dvds on Sony dvd players.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here