Sega Says No Valkyria Chronicles III For Western Gamers

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Sega Says No Valkyria Chronicles III For Western Gamers

It looks like we won't be seeing the new Valkyria Chronicles game in the States, and it's all your fault.

Straight up, I kinda hate you guys sometimes. You kids with your MTV and your Facebook, you can't appreciate the truly good things in life. Things like Sega's gorgeous Valkyria Chronicles strategy-roleplaying series.

"Oh, but we do appreciate it Nex!" I hear you shouting at your monitor. No, obviously you don't. Otherwise Sega would be localizing Valkyria Chronicles III for the English-speaking world, instead of giving Japanese gamers one more awesome title to gloat about.

Gamespot reports:

During a recent interview in Singapore, Sega's team manager of console sales team Hiroshi Seno confirmed that the game would not be localized due to the PSP platform not being popular and well-liked in North America and Europe. He also said that localizing the title for English-speaking audience would require past games of that franchise to sell a particular amount of quantities; he added that Valkyria Chronicles II did not sell enough to justify localization costs.

Yeah, see? Sega would love to bring the game to the US, but you people didn't buy enough copies of Valkyria Chronicles II. Sega said, "hey guys, here's a rad new strategy game for the PSP," and I was like, "yay!" and you guys were like, "meh." and now I don't get to play the sequel.

"But Nex, it wasn't just us. There were probably lots of other people who ignored Valkyria Chronicles II also!" you mumble, shamed by your own indifference. Yes, probably, but I can't belittle them publicly, now can I?

It's like Edmond Burke never said, "The only thing necessary for Sega to totally ruin my day, is you jerks failing to buy their videogames."

I swear, this is just like the Dreamcast all over again.

Source: Gamespot

FUCK. Why didn't I buy #2!!!! *Rushes out to get a copy*

Everyone else follow suit! FOR THE SAKE OF AWESOME GAMING!

It's the PSP and a bad game no wonder no one bought it....

I'd just like everybody else to know that I did my part in going out and buying the second game.

...Even if I couldn't manage to actually play through more than two thirds of it.

I loved the first one, but come on....it's the PSP! Who the hell cares about it and who the hell actually owns one?

If they had released the second and third games on the PS3 I would happily buy them, but instead they release it on a useless handheld.

I bought both.

VC1 was awesome.

VC2 was... odd, but the gameplay was mostly intact.

VC3 looked like a return to form story-wise.

It saddens me that I won't be playing the third installment of the series.

...please release it on the psn at least... please Sega?

EDIT:

DasUberCow:
Wait. VC3 is going to be on PS3 and they're basing this decision on the lack of VC2 sales which was on a different platform? Anyone else see the flaw in that logic?

ZippyDSMlee:
It's the PSP and a bad game no wonder no one bought it....

The PSP isn't the best platform admittedly but a bad game?

You've got to be trolling.

Sad news would have quite liked to see another VC game as long as it was in PS3.

Buy me a PSP and we'll talk :P

SEGA:
You OWE US for decade(s) of shitty sonic games.

Wait what did i miss a game!

The first game is still in stores (Sweden) but not the sequel.

Me so sad!

JaredXE:
I loved the first one, but come on....it's the PSP! Who the hell cares about it and who the hell actually owns one?

If they had released the second and third games on the PS3 I would happily buy them, but instead they release it on a useless handheld.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. I liked the first one as well, gorgeous graphics and pretty fun gameplay and even if the story was cringe-worthy at times, it was a fun game overall.

Just like Jared, I'd most likely have bought the games, if it had been for a proper platform, seeing as I have absolutely no intention of buying a handheld for the foreseeable future.

It's Ace Attorney Investigations 2 all over again!

Only this isn't a game I actually give a crap about!

...I can still be annoyed with the VC fans though, despite not being interested in the series myself.

It seems like events like this are sadly becoming more and more commonplace.

Aw, man.
I liked 2. Never played the first though, I lack the PS3 to do so.

I was planning on purchasing a copy of the second title once I got my hands on a Vita, seeing as I never bought a PSP. I still intend to, but I must admit to being somewhat less giddy about it now that I know I won't be enjoying the saga as a whole.

This saddens me beyond belief I so love Valkyria Chronicles I think they messed up though when they put it on the psp. If they would have kept going on the ps3 I think it would sell pretty well. I really do love these games though.

Wait. VC3 is going to be on PS3 and they're basing this decision on the lack of VC2 sales which was on a different platform? Anyone else see the flaw in that logic?

Yeeah...

We ship Gears 3 to an almost Xbox360 dry region, but we don't get YOUR 3rd installation for Valkeryia Chronicles?

Logic.

Haha! Nicely written article. I say without shame that I don't care about this game so I am not saddened by this news, but this article amused me with it's wit. Umad?

I have no PSP. Unless Sony actually allows PSP games to be played on the PS3 I have no reason to get it.

DasUberCow:

VC3 is for the PSP.

Also, I bought both games when they came out. I did my part, but apparently it's not enough. Which is unfortunate because this is the only series Sega has left that I care about unless they one day publish a sequel to Vanquish.

I bought the 2nd game. It was shit compared to the first Valkyria Chronicles. They completely copied the final boss fight from the first game into the 2nd for its last fight, fighting a big ship included. It was a lazy, dull affair with a shitastic crafting system and lul-worthy difficulty with more map re-use than Dragon age 2.

What the hell did they expect? I beat that game, I endured the horrid cliches and Shoujo-worthy characters and weak story. It's surprising I even bothered beating the game. Now when they are finally making a worthy title for the series, they are giving us the finger, even when the first game sold what... 3 times better here than in Japan region? (based off VGChartz, which I understand isn't exactly the most accurate at times with these things).
http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/18897/valkyria-chronicles/

Also, I bought and played the hell out of my Dreamcast too.

And you won't get any of our Western money.
Pretty damn simple.

Then again it is PSP, and there's your problem.

Always wanted to play that series for some reason but never owned a PlayStation anything...

Scrustle:
Haha! Nicely written article. I say without shame that I don't care about this game so I am not saddened by this news, but this article amused me with it's wit. Umad?

He's just being a pessimist. You should have seen how much of an ass he was in the Portal fan film article.

Why are they on psp? Why not ps3?

You broke my heart, Sony! You broke my heart.

Rarhnor:
Yeeah...

We ship Gears 3 to an almost Xbox360 dry region, but we don't get YOUR 3rd installation for Valkeryia Chronicles.

'Logics: Japan edition'

Edit: Not to mention that VCII was on a different platform.

More "logics: America edition" (shipping out a game that won't sell is pretty damn stupid, ain't it?) and why do people keep saying that last bit? VC III is on the PSP. Just look at that screenshot, it's kind of obviously a PSP shot.

OT: I did my part damn you! I bought it on the day of release! Burn you heathens! Burn!

Earnest Cavalli:

I swear, this is just like the Dreamcast all over again.

Except the Dreamcast didn't require weekly updates that were useless to the consumer like the psp.
I love Valkyeria Chronicles 1 (one of the most interesting games to come out this gen) and if 2 had also released on the ps3 I would've bought that too; and it would've been the 3rd ps3 game I bought last year.
The PSP is deader than dead and Sega should probably get with the program and release their games on platforms people actually use...like the ps3: it could use some good games.
They would've had better luck if they actually released it on the Dreamcast or the PS2... people bought those.

Maybe if they put it on a system that wasn't a PSP I would buy it. I have the first Valkria Chronicles and loved it. Wouldn't know anything about the second one because I DOn't OWN A PSP AND ILL BE DAMNED IF I BUY ONE.

And not a single fuck was given that day.

Seriously, if it was THAT good I'd have heard more about it.

I have a bit more respect for you now sir. And my bad, I read when I commute and use better consoles at home, so I has no PSP.

Well shit.
At least there will almost definitely be a fan translation of it before long.

well that sucks... for those of you who can't import, I will say though I enjoyed 2 more than 3. Still its an amazing game I feel bad for all of u who'll never get to play this

I don't own a PSP, and I've never heard of this series.

Note: Sega is also showing its hate for North America by torturing us by refusing to stop beating the fully decomposed Sonic.

tanis1lionheart:
SEGA:
You OWE US for decade(s) of shitty sonic games.

^this^

Besides, If they had made the second game for the PS3 (they could have also made the portable version at the same time with little difficulty), It would have probably seen more sales.

VC1- for PS3, sales start off slow but build as word of mouth gets around
VC2-for PSP, original fan base alienated, how many people actually own both systems? And the game was not as good as the first.

SEGA blames fan base for not owning both systems and not buying their inferior sequel. Fuck you SEGA...

Maybe if VC2 wasn't on such a piss poor system, we would buy it more. The original was a masterpiece, but I'll be damned if I spend my money on a portable gaming system just to play one game.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here