Herman Cain's Tax Plan Brings SimCity to Real Life

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Herman Cain's Tax Plan Brings SimCity to Real Life

If U.S. Presidential hopeful Herman Cain's "999" tax plan seems familiar, it might be because it's the default tax rate settings in SimCity 4.

Herman Cain has a plan for America. He wants to simplify the tax code with what he calls 999: a nine percent flat tax for businesses, a nine percent flat tax for individuals and a nine percent national sales tax. It's simple, it's fair and for some of you, it might seem oddly familiar.

Turn your mind back to 2003 and the release of SimCity 4. Collecting taxes is naturally part of the game - you can't run a city without 'em, after all - and part of the "fun" is finding the right balance between bringing in enough money to keep the streets clean and cops paid without driving your citizens to a tax revolt. And what middle-of-the-road rate did the game use as a default? You guessed it: nine percent commercial, nine percent industrial and nine percent residential. Call it Sim999.

"While we at Maxis and Electronic Arts do not endorse any political candidates or their platforms, it's interesting to see GOP candidate Herman Cain propose a simplified tax system like one we designed for the video game SimCity 4," Maxis Senior Producer Kip Katsarelis told the Huffington Post.

Is Cain a closet Maxis fan? "Probably not," according to a receptionist at the Ohio Wells Fargo office of Cain adviser Rich Lowrie, who came up with the plan. "I don't think he's much of a game person."

Presumably that means he doesn't know about "weaknesspays," either. Pity.

Oh man I logged countless hours on SimCity 4 as a kid, this is a pretty funny observation. Now if only that weaknesspays cheat actually worked in real life.

6 Million People In a City.

This is your future, America.

That's how republicans practice running a country. They play SimCity 4.

I kid, I kid. Don't want to turn this into political debate thread.

Anyway, I find this amusing as well. But doesn't 9 percent seem a little high for some people?

Unfortunately, there's no cheat codes for free money to augment that tax plan. ;)

And no on-call space invasions... rats...

I think he just using the oldest marketing trick in the book, to use nines to make people think it so much smaller then they think "10%" tax rate is.

I hope it's 9 percent flat tax for all individuals with no limit. Tax breaks for the rich are insanely stupid.

I consider myself ahead of the times because I almost always turned the 'Dirty Industry' tax slider up to about 15%. Beat that, Australia.

Saucycardog:

Anyway, I find this amusing as well. But doesn't 9 percent seem a little high for some people?

In the context of a flat tax, it is - as maxis said- pretty middle of the road. In the context of how taxes work in america, it is phenomenally low.

Thus proving Herman Cain is only fit to lead a made up society

mjc0961:
I hope it's 9 percent flat tax for all individuals with no limit. Tax breaks for the rich are insanely stupid.

He's a Republican. Of course it isn't.

The problem with this is the rich pay far more than 9% and the poor pay far less than 9% with the tax breaks they are given. This plan not only flattens the tax but does away with all tax forgiveness and breaks. So the taxes would be lowered on the rich and raised significantly on the poor.

Republicans hide a lot of messages in rhetoric like this. Fuck anyone who's not straight, male, white, and Christian, but most of all, fuck the poor. They would love to just come out and say this but they need to dupe the people they want to screw over into voting for them because the votes of that richest 1% isn't going to win them any elections.

Oh come on, everyone knows you need to boost low income tax rates to 20% in order to keep out the undesirables create a fair and balanced tax system to help everyone thrive, yes, that.

Coincidence? I don't think so!

The_root_of_all_evil:

6 Million People In a City.

This is your future, America.

Exactly. Some scientists say that's the way to go. Good idea on the scientist's part, but I like having roads and only one library within walking distance, as much as I like subways as mass transit and future stuff.

Also, already there are cities of millions of people. Just visit the largest, Tokyo. Not counting Yokohama and the other surrounding urban areas, Tokyo proper is the world's largest city. Millions.

As with most Republicans, he's got decent economic ideas, and if that were all it were about I might even consider voting for him.

Unfortunately, as with most Republicans, his social ideas are backwards as fuck, and therefor I will not be voting for him.

And most democrats are exactly the opposite, so I won't be voting for them either.

walrusaurus:

Saucycardog:

In the context of a flat tax, it is - as maxis said- pretty middle of the road. In the context of how taxes work in america, it is phenomenally low.

the thing is though, a 9% flat tax rate is 9% more income than MOST rich people and corporations pay anyways, without them having to waste billions of dollars on tax attorney's... assuming you literally close EVERY SINGLE LOOPHOLE.

Flat tax isn't exactly fair when the poor spend most of there money on necessities (food, housing, electricity, water, etc) while for the wealthy the percent of income spent on necessities is a much lower percent. On top of that unless every single tax deduction is removed the wealthy wouldn't have to pay as high a percentage in tax because they can shuffle there money in things to create tax breaks while again your poorer person would be stuck with most of there income going into things that do not generate tax deductions.

Flat Tax is not the idea of simplifying it so everybody pays an equal part so much as its eliminating tax brackets so the rich pay less.

Not G. Ivingname:
I think he just using the oldest marketing trick in the book, to use nines to make people think it so much smaller then they think "10%" tax rate is.

as of now American citizens pay 23% of their income in taxes then there's taxes on property,exchange etc.

This guy is quite the moron. "If You're poor or unemployed, it's Your own fault" and yada yada... "if You're not rich, it's Your fault". I mean, this guy's a walking hypocrisy magnet and generator.

Acting like a FOOL:

Not G. Ivingname:

as of now American citizens pay 23% of their income in taxes then there's taxes on property,exchange etc.

O_O

...I retract my statement.

This means Herman Cain kicks ass!

Oh wait, that's right, Herman Cain kicks ass for many other reasons. Sorry, I forgot about that for a second.

mjc0961:

Actually if you look at it, it's a huge tax break for the rich and a huge tax increase for the poor and middle class. He also said that he wanted to change it eventually to 30% sales tax which is an even bigger middle finger to the lower classes. What does he care though, he's not poor.

I'm all for that, except the sales tax. Besides that being ridiculous for the lesser Gross State Product states, every state that currently has a sales tax will just tack theirs on to the national one.

That being said, cool that a politician can reference a game without demonizing it.

Not G. Ivingname:

Acting like a FOOL:

Not G. Ivingname:

O_O

But don't let that bother you, as that is actually less than what you are paying to Social Security, which there is still no guarantee you will see returned unless you file for disability now. At least right now each year you have a chance of getting some of what you put into Income Tax back.

I wouldn't be so eager to hold the guy on your shoulders, people.

Further proof that republicans have no understanding of good economics. It's bad enough that they trumpet the supposed "virtues" of an outdated and thoroughly flawed economic model, but now some idiot became the front-runner in that circus. Not the 1st time, considering the existence of Donald Trump.

Saucycardog:

Yea a 9% sales tax is a bit high to me, but I would support it if they raised the national minimum wage...but that will never happen

9% for incomes over the poverty level (which is what Cain proposes) is much more reasonable than the present top marginal tax rate. The real kicker is the 9% federal sales tax provision. It's steep and there would need to be exemptions for subsistence items (food, heating oil, etc.) to avoid overtaxing the impoverished.

And for everyone mocking his plan, at least he has a plan, which is more than can be said for hte rest of the slate of Republican hopefuls... or the present Democratic incumbent.

Mortuorum:
9% for incomes over the poverty level (which is what Cain proposes) is much more reasonable than the present top marginal tax rate. The real kicker is the 9% federal sales tax provision. It's steep and there would need to be exemptions for subsistence items (food, heating oil, etc.) to avoid overtaxing the impoverished.

And for everyone mocking his plan, at least he has a plan, which is more than can be said for hte rest of the slate of Republican hopefuls... or the present Democratic incumbent.

The top marginal income tax rate in the US is 35% but it only apply on incomes higher than $379,150.

The amount of Federal Income Tax that would be paid by someone making $379,150 is $110,016.50 or about 29% of Gross Income. Now any income earned above that is taxed at 35%. So if you maded $379,151 you'd pay $110,016.85

There are deductions, most involve having children or owning a home however to reduce the amount of income that is used to determine how much income tax you own.

Also keep in mind these are just WAGES, Capital Gains which is income taxed from investments is taxed at a much lower rate, about 15%.

Cain's plan essentially turns into a 27% flat tax on wages. All income eventually gets spent in the long run and the corporate tax will be pushed down to comsumers in higher prices. Meanwhile the Captial Gains and Estate taxes (Which only matter to people dying with more than $5 Million in assets) go poof.

The total amount of federal income take you pay depends on how much you make:

8,500 = 10%
34,500 = 13.8%
83,600 = 20.4%
174,400 = 24.3%

Although your paycheck would have less taken out of it, everything would be much more expensive as a result.

Here's the thing about the SimCity tax system: The tax rates in SimCity are PROPERTY taxes not income taxes. The amount of revenue they generates is a function of desirability of a given zone, not the people in it. Residential areas benefit from low pollution and proximity to parks as well as basic services such as power and water. Industrial Zones benefits the most from access to a workforce and a transportation network. Commercial areas require a mix of the two.

So if they did get 9-9-9 from SimCity they didn't understand how to play the game.

samsonguy920:
I'm all for that, except the sales tax. Besides that being ridiculous for the lesser Gross State Product states, every state that currently has a sales tax will just tack theirs on to the national one.

That being said, cool that a politician can reference a game without demonizing it.

Not G. Ivingname:

Acting like a FOOL:

O_O

But don't let that bother you, as that is actually less than what you are paying to Social Security, which there is still no guarantee you will see returned unless you file for disability now. At least right now each year you have a chance of getting some of what you put into Income Tax back.

I wouldn't be so eager to hold the guy on your shoulders, people.

D:

Do they have all these taxes in Mexico?

By "it's simple" and "it's fair", what you mean to say is "it sounds simple" and "it's incredibly unfair, logically problematic, and a terrible idea from almost any economic viewpoint", right?

Mortuorum:

The Democrats' plan has been the same (and out there) since this entire mess began: Let the Bush tax cuts expire. There's a ton of data out there that backs this idea up.

Problem is, the Democrats don't have the Republicans' messaging skills.

On topic, I don't have much of an opinion on Herman Cain, but this does remind me of the Republicans screaming that nobody ever listened to their healthcare plan, only for them to show up waving around blank pieces of paper when given a chance to talk.

Saucycardog:

Actually I find it incredibly low

The problem arises when they find out what happens when they lower the transport budget.

9% is a very, very, very low rate of taxation. Far too low for the USA to support that bottomless pit of a military. Anybody who thinks they can actually pull that off without cutting pretty much all government services (education, health, transport) or putting an enormous load onto the national debt is seriously mistaken.

Andy Chalk:
it's fair

Implying a non-progressive tax rate is ever fair.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here