Skyrim Beaten In Just Over Two Hours

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Skyrim Beaten In Just Over Two Hours

One of Bethesda's QA testers has beaten the highly anticipated RPG in an impressive two hours and sixteen minutes.

To a given value of "beaten," of course. Presumably QA tester Sam Bernstein didn't see too much of Skyrim's verdant scenery as he scuttled from quest to quest in a bid to beat development team rep Jeff Browne to the end credits. Bernstein's final time was a lightning-fast 2:16:10 - twenty seconds faster than Browne's effort. The speed run competition was held to celebrate Skyrim's imminent launch and cheats were not allowed. Bernstein, who can be seen basking in the august rays of victory above, received a small trophy for his troubles as well as a pie of his choice, baked by director Todd Howard. Bernstein also won the speed run competition for Fallout 3 back when it launched, finishing the post-apocalyptic RPG with a final completion time of 75 minutes. Not bad.

Of course, regular gamers who haven't been playing Skyrim non-stop for the past year - or designing it for that matter - probably won't get through the game quite that fast. Bethesda has claimed it will take players around 30 hours to beat the game's central quest, not including the time it takes them to father (or mother) a dynasty of lizard children.

You can take your best shot at Bernstein's record when Skyrim launches on November 11th.

Source: Bethesda Blog

Well the Fallout 3 campaign was mighty short. I remember I did a speed run once, and got it done in about a day.

So that means Skyrim will be longer? Good to know.

2 hours huh? I'll count myself lucky if I finish the game in two months.

Still, good for him. And he got pie! That's a plus.

Why would anyone try to beat the game that fast? Isn't the whole point of a Bethesda style game to explore the terrain, find hidden secret stories told through the environment and experience the rich expanse of side quests and adventures to be had that have nothing to do with the main quest? I put hundreds of hours into Oblivion, and I fully anticipate putting hundreds more into Skyrim. I mean I get the idea of a speed run, but with a game like this, that almost doesn't seem like an accomplishment.

EDIT: Or at the very least it defeats the purpose...

Damn, that's pretty impressive. I wonder if he still likes the game even though he had to play it so many times. From what I hear, playtesters tend to develop an aversion for the games they are testing.

SomeLameStuff:
2 hours huh? I'll count myself lucky if I finish the game in two months.

Still, good for him. And he got pie! That's a plus.

Yea, that lucky bastard. I wanted Pie :(

20+ hours into Dark Souls, about half way through. Might pick up Skyrim once its discounted.

I don't understand how it's a good thing that he beat the game so fast. It's like someone getting an award for breaking a matress in two days. Sure, he was probably having sex with an elephant on it, but why would you buy a matress if you know it can get worn out in just two days?

Holy speed run, Batman!

dang not bad, and that sounds like a good time if F3's was 75 minutes...looking forward to the game indefinitely.

o_0 hehehehe sweet. cant wait to get my hands on it. only thing that will weight down my inevitable all night gaming binges will be the sex my (at the time of release) new wife will be badgering me for........maybe the all night gaming binge isnt so inevitable.

I want Todd Howard to bake me a pie...

For those who are mystified by the accomplishment, did you actually read the whole article? Probably not--just like you're not reading anything here, either.
It seems pretty pointless, afterall, to comment on an article that one hasn't taken the time to fully read and understand. Kind of like, oh, I don't know....

A testament to the TES "main quest" style.

Considering you can beat Oblivion in just over 10 minutes, I'm glad this is an improvement.

The best speed run ever still has to be the seven minute Morrowind Run.

It's amazing how fast some people pull off these speed runs. But I'm really not too surprised. Most times there is a FAQ already made for a game by noon of it's release date. Unless a game has a trophy I don't see any reason to rush playing through it. Very much like eating I like to taste what I'm chewing.

Its going to take me that long to make my character and pick my skills....

Before anyone starts bitching, speedrun isn't an indicator of how long the main quest will actually be. Morrowind can be beaten in just a little over 7 minutes, but in reality it's probably longer than Skyrim will be.

Damn, ninja'd again.

Grey Carter:
Bernstein, who can be seen basking in the august rays of victory above, received a small trophy for his troubles as well as a pie of his choice, baked by director Todd Howard. Bernstein also won the speed run competition for Fallout 3 back when it launched, finishing the post-apocalyptic RPG with a final completion time of 75 minutes.

The only other Bernsteins I know of are the reporter who won various awards and Rugal Bernstein, SNK fighting game boss monster.

Pictured: Not the reporter.

Therefor I must believe that all Bernsteins everywhere are in fact next to invincible. If they are not warlocks then clearly they must at least be in league with warlocks.

gmaverick019:
dang not bad, and that sounds like a good time if F3's was 75 minutes...looking forward to the game indefinitely.

to be fair, you can skip nearly the entire beginning of Fallout 3.

As soon as you exit 101, you can head straight to the VR vault, effectively cutting out 6 hours of game time. Since nothing will be too high level, the ending fights are easy as finding a hunting rifle.

OT: HE LOOKS WAY TO HAPPY FOR RECEIVING SUCH A SMALL TROPHY!

moose49408:
Why would anyone try to beat the game that fast? Isn't the whole point of a Bethesda style game to explore the terrain, find hidden secret stories told through the environment and experience the rich expanse of side quests and adventures to be had that have nothing to do with the main quest? I put hundreds of hours into Oblivion, and I fully anticipate putting hundreds more into Skyrim. I mean I get the idea of a speed run, but with a game like this, that almost doesn't seem like an accomplishment.

EDIT: Or at the very least it defeats the purpose...

Well hes a QA tester. Hes most defiantly already finished it properly and enjoyed it so he decided to do this for fun.

Don't confuse the time it which he "beat" the game with the quality. Morrowind could legitimately be "beaten" in five minutes if you're smart and still lasts for months on end.

Not bad indeed. I would never be able to do that. So kudos to you, sir!

For those of you who are missing the point, this is a speed run. As the name states, you try and finish the game as fast as possible. It could be simply to see how much you know the game or to challenge yourself or whatever. I know some Capcom games offer this as an additional challenge and you even receive special items if you manage to finish the game super fast (Of course, I doubt anyone does this on their first run). I've met people who have already finished Dark Souls. They liked it and all and they're selling it to someone already. It's just a matter of opinion, I guess. Personally, I like to take my sweet time with my games.

And as the article also pointed out, the man's life revolved around Skyrim over the last couple of months, maybe. He knows the game and he skipped all sorts of side quests and grinding. So hopefully, the game will last longer than 2 hours, which is still pretty long compared to games like, let's say, Fallout.

I don't know, Todd doesn't seem like the cooking kind of person so the pie probably turned out awful.

Kalezian:

gmaverick019:

to be fair, you can skip nearly the entire beginning of Fallout 3.

As soon as you exit 101, you can head straight to the VR vault, effectively cutting out 6 hours of game time. Since nothing will be too high level, the ending fights are easy as finding a hunting rifle.

OT: HE LOOKS WAY TO HAPPY FOR RECEIVING SUCH A SMALL TROPHY!

oh yeah i know, i skipped the initial crap too, i hated doing all that junk, it made the game much more enjoyable to me personally.

Ghengis John:

Grey Carter:
Bernstein, who can be seen basking in the august rays of victory above, received a small trophy for his troubles as well as a pie of his choice, baked by director Todd Howard. Bernstein also won the speed run competition for Fallout 3 back when it launched, finishing the post-apocalyptic RPG with a final completion time of 75 minutes.

The only other Bernsteins I know of are the reporter who won various awards and Rugal Bernstein, SNK fighting game boss monster.

Pictured: Not the reporter.

Therefor I must believe that all Bernsteins everywhere are in fact next to invincible. If they are not warlocks then clearly they must at least be in league with warlocks.

that is the only bernstein i know..and they are not invincible, nor cool, just annoying as hell...

Daaaah Whoosh:
I don't understand how it's a good thing that he beat the game so fast. It's like someone getting an award for breaking a matress in two days. Sure, he was probably having sex with an elephant on it, but why would you buy a matress if you know it can get worn out in just two days?

It was a challenge and he won it, it would actually be kind of fun, like a race.

OT: I wonder how much a character can level up in two hours...

gmaverick019:

that is the only bernstein i know..and they are not invincible, nor cool, just annoying as hell...

Those are BerENsteins. Not Bernstiens. The additional "e" is what sabotages them completely. Like a baby with an extra chromosome.

Now there's a post title designed to get as many hits as possible.
Escapist: Skyrim Beaten In Just Over Two Hours
Frothing Neckbeards: WTF IS THIS MADNESS? I MUST CLICK AND FIND OUT

Well, safe to say when Skyrim comes out I'll be taking my sweet time. I spent three months playing Oblivion before I beat the main quest, and another year to get through Shivering Isles and Knights of the Nine.

Ghengis John:

gmaverick019:

Those are BerENsteins. Not Bernstiens. The additional "e" is what sabotages them completely. Like a baby with an extra chromosome.

ha touche i wasn't looking very closely i see.

and nice comparison lol

If 2 hours is the best that a speed runner can do...that actually bodes pretty well. I mean, Morrowind is not a short game, yet speed runners can beat it in seven minutes. Most players take about 2 hours (if skilled enough) to beat Mega Man 2. Some speed runners? 37 minutes on Difficult. You can't judge the length of a game just by the speed run time. Hell, I could have beaten Oblivion in 2 hours if I hadn't done any sidequests. But why would I? That's missing so much of the game.

Also, looking at the last name, I have to say this. Something, Something, Leonard Bernstein.

Lt. Vinciti:
Its going to take me that long to make my character and pick my skills....

Not likely, last I heard you won't be picking any skills, not as part of the creation process. So all you've got is the character's physical traits to kill 2 hours on :P

kebab4you:
I don't know, Todd doesn't seem like the cooking kind of person so the pie probably turned out awful.

Maybe it needed more time in the oven, as chikens started to report his crimes to the police.

OT: Nice to hear that the main story will be epicly long and bigger than Fallout 3 was.

I know the pain of levelling burnout, play-testing for the hours they do is a pretty serious deal then to do a speed run on top is just crazy-sauce.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.