Sci-Fi Fan Makes Amazing Dune Travel Posters

Sci-Fi Fan Makes Amazing Dune Travel Posters

It takes real skill to make a barren, sandy rock filled with giant worms seem appealing.

Are you bored of your planet? Do you need a vacation? Well then, why not hop on a Spacing Guild Heighliner and get away from it all for a while? With so many planets in the Landsraad to choose from, you're sure to find one that's right for you.

DeviantArt user Doctor Fautus has created three travel posters for three of the Dune universe's most notable destinations. Caladan is the ancestral home world of House Atreides, and the planet they up sticks and left at the Emperor's command in the first Dune book. The industrial world Geidi Prime, on the other hand, is the home of the hated Harkonnens, sworn enemies of the Atreides and co-conspirators in a plot to kill the popular Duke Leto.

Finally, there's Arrakis, more commonly known as "Dune," which no intergalactic traveler should miss. The barren, near-waterless rock is home to two unique things, the spice Melange, which makes space travel possible, and Shai-Hulud, the mighty sandworms that produce it.

The posters have a wonderful, stylized, retro elegance about them, although, as Dune's set so very far in the future - thousands and thousands of years, for anyone who doesn't know - they're retro like cave paintings are retro.

Source: io9

I **love** it! I absolutely adore how the artist rendered these key planets of the Dune universe with that retro look, it's absolutely gorgeous! Now if we could only have Kaitain, Salusa Secundus, Wallach IX, Chapterhouse, Tleilax and Ix, that would be awesome. ^_^
Incidentally, Dune is set in the year 10,191 to be precise (well, the first book starts off in 10,191, anyhow).

Booking my next vacation... I'm convinced. Still don't think I'd want to go to Ix though...

And now I realize why Herbert's "Road to Dune" (from Eye) was a guidebook for pilgrims, not tourists. Thumbs up on the art, but it's hard to sell Giedi Prime as a tourist destination.

Eleima:
Now if we could only have Kaitain, Salusa Secundus, Wallach IX, Chapterhouse, Tleilax and Ix, that would be awesome. ^_^

Depends on what point in their chronology you're talking about. F'rinstance:

Eleima:
Salusa Secundus,

Before or after House Corrino abandoned it?

Eleima:
Chapterhouse

During the events of the last book?

Note to self: Never go on vacation with Eleima without a highly accurate timetable.

Eleima:
Incidentally, Dune is set in the year 10,191 to be precise (well, the first book starts off in 10,191, anyhow).

I suppose he could have mentioned that, but I'd much rather he ignores it than risks leading people to Irulan's monologue from the Lynch movie, since it's often one of the first results one gets when looking up the year Dune takes place in. (You can't fold space with Spice, dammit.)

I love these! The first Due book is my favorite Sci-Fi series. Now if only they'd make some more computer games for it...

Oroboros:
I love these! The first Due book is my favorite Sci-Fi series. Now if only they'd make some more computer games for it...

EDIT: Sorry, misread that, didn't see the "more" of "some more computer games".

There's a MUD...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here