CCP Refocuses on EVE With Big World of Darkness Layoff

CCP Refocuses on EVE With Big World of Darkness Layoff

CCP is laying off a significant portion of its World of Darkness development team in order to focus on EVE Online and the upcoming Dust 514.

CCP has had a rough go of it with EVE Online over the past several months, to the point that CEO Hilmar Veigar Petursson issued a sweeping apology earlier in October for the company's neglect of its player base. "My personal failing is not reconciling that passion with pragmatism," he said. "We've been trying to expand the EVE universe in several directions at once, and I need to do a better job of pursuing that vision without diluting or marginalizing the things that are great - or could be great - about the game right now."

It all sounded very nice, but the big question was how, or if, Petursson would follow through. This, apparently, is step one, and it's a biggie: a layoff of roughly 20 percent of CCP's staff, primarily at its office in Atlanta, Georgia, although some employees at its base in Reykjavik, Iceland, will also be let go.

"We are very sad to lose some of our talented and dedicated colleagues to this necessary process. Naturally we are making every effort within our means to help them find alternative employment," the company said in an announcement. "Decisions like these are difficult for all those involved and extraordinarily sad for all of those whose lives are affected."

CCP said the plan is to focus on the ongoing development of EVE Online and its PlayStation 3 spin-off Dust 514, to which some of the remaining Atlanta-based employees will be shifted. The World of Darkness MMO, meanwhile, will continue development with a "significantly reduced team."

"EVE Online is in good health. Our subscriber numbers are higher today than they were a year ago," the company said. "However, over the past two months, our subscribers have gone down from their peak this summer. We attribute this to our own mistakes and poor communications with our players. We are correcting that now."

I'd rather they ditch Dust 541, but hey, they never asked me.

Still, I wish everyone luck, and even tho they are down a large % of people, don't rush the World of Darkness.

EDIT: Seems some people didn't read the article... the WoD MMO is not scrapped.

I'm not sure I'd ever play a WoD MMO, but it's a damn shame it seems to be getting the shaft.

I was looking forward to it too :(

Guess it is going to be vaporware now.

I'm so glad that Dust 514 didn't kick the bucket. It's the first shooter that looks remotely interesting in a LONG time.

There goes the only MMO I was partially interested in, in favor of a spreadsheet simulator and another generic fps.

Well then, that pretty much killed my mood today. I was actually looking forward to an MMO for once in my life. Oh well, I guess.

While i wasnt really looking forward to WoD as much as some, I do feel real sorry for the people who lost there jobs, as someone also in the industry(and in a weak posistion) i whole heartedly wish them the best.

On the other hand, this is a logical step, they where leaking money and Resources, and its far easer to work more focused on one ongoing project than both. Hopefully this will benfit DUST as much as EvE, as thats the most intresting aspect for me, serveral of my Alliance and my freinds who dont have intrest with FiS but would love another game like MAG, something with meaning.

Disappointing, but I'm not willing to totally write it all off yet.

EVE isn't my thing, but I know there are people who like it, so I hope it works out. I don't think they're ready to give up on WoD yet; being on the classic side of the WoD Broken Base I've noticed they've been pushing it again. I just got an ad that they're re-releasing the classic VtM rules (not the new VtR) and I do recall hearing that the WoD MMO was in the old universe rather than the new, so I suspect trying to re-interest the classic fans who've fallen away since the reboot is still on their radar. And killing the MMO would pretty much be the end of that attempt.

I may be overly optimistic, but hey, I can't be all down about everything all the time.

Considering the backlash generated from the horribly overpriced Monocle which spawned "Monoclegate", as well as the other surrounding issues for it... Yeah who isn't surprised by this?
They have to make it up towards their Eve players now, and they very well couldn't ditch Dust 541 BECAUSE its tied so closely to that game, seeing as updates have been made in order to facilitate the eventual planet control and combat that the two games are supposed to cause together.

Which left World of Darkness as the only possible title to suffer. Shame to hear since CCP had some rather insanely ambitious ideas for it I'd like to see how they would actually handle in the game but oh well... Their fault in the first place for getting far too ambitious with three titles, when they have had a track record as of late of not totally delivering or going through with updates for their big MMO.

This is a significant violation of the Masquerade. They will suffer final death for this.

From their perspective, it's probably a sensible business decision, but still... World of Darkness Online is never coming out, is it?

Andy Chalk:
The World of Darkness MMO, meanwhile, will continue development with a "significantly reduced team."

Strange sense of deja vu....

I find this to be a bad thing for WoD. A large layoff could mean a lack in development polish, and less good content... WoD deserves a good, solid development, not a backburner treatment because CCP screwed up EVE.

Sums my feelings up perfectly.
Now if you will excuse me I am going to go replay a 7 year old game that is easily better than damn near anything released since.

Good, I want my internet spaceships!! Maybe now they'll get on that 0.0 and supercap rebalancing?

Cheshire the Cat:

Now if you will excuse me I am going to go replay a 7 year old game that when heavily modded is easily better than damn near anything released since.

Fixed that for you.

Frostbite3789:
I like it from men with hairy bums.

Fixed that for you.

Cheshire the Cat:
Snip

It's apparently offensive to imply a product was rushed out of the door by a publisher and thus was extremely buggy? Egads!

If it weren't for the many fan patches and awesome mods, the game wouldn't even be half as good.

Frostbite3789:

Cheshire the Cat:

Now if you will excuse me I am going to go replay a 7 year old game that when heavily modded is easily better than damn near anything released since.

Fixed that for you.

Definitely, it took me about an hours time trying to find out why the damn thing wouldn't work and to get it to run.

Frostbite3789:

Cheshire the Cat:
Snip

It's apparently offensive to imply a product was rushed out of the door by a publisher and thus was extremely buggy? Egads!

If it weren't for the many fan patches and awesome mods, the game wouldn't even be half as good.

No, its offensive to quote people, fuck with their text and just say "fixed that for you."
Its a obnoxious trend. Either say shit yourself or shut up, either one works. Don't put words into other peoples mouths or imply that they can not write for themselves.

Edit:

Frostbite3789:
Did someone get a little bit of sand in their vagina today?

Oh and PMing people insults that you are too cowardly to say in thread is just fucking pathetic.

With the way White Wolf has been focusing on this to the detriment of their books... Fuck CCP in the ass with a spiked vibrator. Ever since White Wolf was bought by CCP their releases have slowed to a crawl, but the fans supported them because they knew it was because of the focus on the MMO. Then they pull this, laying off at least one key member of White Wolf who worked primarily on their books? (Russell Bailey) Fuck those guys. They moved staff around in WW to work on a WoDMMO, start a project linked to EVE years later, then throw the WoDMMO on the backburner to focus on their FPS, and fire people from WW that they shuffled around.

Marik Ishtar will be disappointed.
Still Dust looks promising

The Great JT:
This is a significant violation of the Masquerade. They will suffer final death for this.

Don't they realize what's at stake here?

I... how... ?

Ok, so they want to focus more on Eve, thats fine. But how on earth does having 'less' employees help you to work 'harder' on something? And how does having less employees in a 'different project' even have anything to do with it?

It would have made sense if they had taken people off of WoD and put them to work on Eve, but I just dont get what this is supposed to achieve.

The only reason I ever played EVE was to support them for buying White Wolf and giving the brand some love. Now? I don't see any reason to go back to EVE, it wasn't my thing, and it looks like they'll be neglecting WOD too.

(Double Post)

DamnedChoir:
The only reason I ever played EVE was to support them for buying White Wolf and giving the brand some love. Now? I don't see any reason to go back to EVE, it wasn't my thing, and it looks like they'll be neglecting WOD too.

I've been playing Eve for 5 years and when it comes to CCP, putting something on the back burner means it might be released in the next decade or so. I was promised walking in stations back in 2006 and they're just starting off with that now and doing a god awful job at it.

Caffiene:
I... how... ?

Ok, so they want to focus more on Eve, thats fine. But how on earth does having 'less' employees help you to work 'harder' on something? And how does having less employees in a 'different project' even have anything to do with it?

It would have made sense if they had taken people off of WoD and put them to work on Eve, but I just dont get what this is supposed to achieve.

My understanding of the article is that CCP fucked up so badly they can't afford to be running two project at once, at full steam ahead. So, its a money thing moreso than "we need to rush the improvements on EVE".

Besides, as hyped up about the WoD mmo as I am... considering what little info we've been given I doubt its far along enough to even consider seeing the first screenshot until at least 2014. Which is depressing.

So basically the WoD mmo is now more or less vaporware as I don't really see how they'll turn things around enough to make it work at this point. Then again I may be surprised eventually, but I doubt it.

Also yay more fps games woooo.... (yeah yeah I know that it's supposed to have some deep connection to EvE or somesuch. :P)

Panayjon:
My understanding of the article is that CCP fucked up so badly they can't afford to be running two project at once, at full steam ahead. So, its a money thing moreso than "we need to rush the improvements on EVE".

Besides, as hyped up about the WoD mmo as I am... considering what little info we've been given I doubt its far along enough to even consider seeing the first screenshot until at least 2014. Which is depressing.

Fair enough. I figured that was potentially the case.

Of course, what that would mean is the press release saying they are "refocusing on Eve" is really just marketing spin for "we laid off a bunch of people due to financial problems".

Unfortunately I agree about WoD hype vs reality, too... I was looking forward to it as well, and really interested to see how CCP goes with a much more thematic and personality based MMO.

I am glad they are putting more steam behind EVE and Dust.

Wouldnt do well for them to get the reputation that they screw up a game then rush off to work on something else.

Sober Thal:

EDIT: Seems some people didn't read the article... the WoD MMO is not scrapped.

This is the internet! Reading comprehension is not required here!

This is not the kind of news I wanted to start my day off with. I had just recently heard about this game and while it was still in per-production it seemed like the kind of game I could get behind. With a reduced staff now and a focus on "Spreadsheets IN SPAAAAACE!" we'll likely never see it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here