Modern Warfare 3 Dedicated Servers Leave Out the Leveling Up.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Modern Warfare 3 Dedicated Servers Leave Out the Leveling Up.

Unsurprisingly , server admins are the kings and queens of Modern Warfare 3's dedicated servers.

Infinity Ward has revealed that the dedicated servers for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 will be unranked, so PC players wanting to level up are going to have to choose between experience points and a superior playing experience.

Writing on the Call of Duty community site, Infinity Ward's Robert Bowling answered a number of questions about the PC version of the game. One of these questions was whether or not dedicated servers were ranked, and as you might have guessed, the answer was "no." It's not all bad though, because server administrators will have full control over what weapons and unlocks are available, so you if you find the right server you might not need to level up.

I'm guessing that Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer, and Activision are trying to manage cheating in the game with this move, something that is a continual bugbear for the Call of Duty series. There are inevitably going to be some people disappointed by this news, and it does seems that dedicated servers and Call of Duty never quite mix properly.

The post has plenty of other information about the playing the PC version, so if you have questions, then it's worth a look. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 comes out for PC, PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 on November 8th.

Source: Joystiq

On the plus side, this prevents some of the more dubious of hacks from occuring...

By making them perfectly legit functions of adminship.

What is it with games recently, that release disappointing news just before the release of the game.

I guess im kinda ok with it?

Although Black Ops did get by without any form of matchmaking. The PC version was shit, and the game was shit, but the dedicated servers worked alright.

Sounds like they are being lazy and making up excuses.
If their leveling system makes people able to cheat then they should fix that.
I'll stick to Team Fortress 2, where I can play on whatever server I like and still be able to unlock items without worrying about cheaters thanks to VAC.

Call of duty and dedicated servers never mixed? Um... Obviously your memory doesn't go past MW2. It worked fine before, and then they changed it to a shittyer system. One that ONLY works well on a platform with uniform hardware, ala CONSOLES.

And people wonder why there is so much Call of Duty hate... Sure the PC platform is a niche, but don't act like we don't know what we want. Also, even the PS3 version gets left out half the time, I actually find myself siding with them a lot.

I'd like to know what idiot at infinity ward looked at all those people boycotting MW2 for it's lack of dedicated servers and said "You know what? Those guys that like dedicated servers? let's shit on them again!"

Seriously, what is it with game developers and restricting the player's freedom. It's been happening more and more recently.

Doom972:
I'll stick to Team Fortress 2, where I can play on whatever server I like and still be able to unlock items without worrying about cheaters thanks to VAC.

Aren't they using Steamworks already? or is it just for installation?

As for the PC version of the game itself, who would get it? PC gaming has been getting the short end of the stick for years from this genre. (admittedly they are not missing out on much)

I'm being really dim or something, but I don't understand what this means.
Halp?

Sucal:
On the plus side, this prevents some of the more dubious of hacks from occuring...

By making them perfectly legit functions of adminship.

So that makes it just like every other single pc game out there with dedicated servers.

Logan Westbrook:
so PC players wanting to level up are going to have to choose between experience points and a superior playing experience

This comment is biased and unprofessional, who are you to make this call - its totally subjective and will vary with the player. I personally found the omission of dedicateds in mw2 made it a much more focused and balanced experience with less faffing about. I hated the idea initially untill I actually played the game and found it was better this way

I'm glad I have the option to browse servers, but I like to know every game I play will have consistent rules decided by the dev, not some squeaky voiced elitist admin who bans claymores cause they are 'teh n00bz'...

I just wanna turn on the game and jump straight into a match - I may be a minority in this opinion but at least it's my own opinion

shock bloody horror...you mean another cod game isnt gonna give a damn about the pc community =O
One comment on their website made me laugh though... he complains about the lack of ranked dedi servers, goes off on a rant saying how bad mw3 will be, then says "im still going to buy it even though im extreemly disapointed!" wtf does cod have to do to make people not want to buy it! morons

TitsMcGee1804:

Logan Westbrook:
so PC players wanting to level up are going to have to choose between experience points and a superior playing experience

This comment is biased and unprofessional, who are you to make this call - its totally subjective and will vary with the player. I personally found the omission of dedicateds in mw2 made it a much more focused and balanced experience with less faffing about. I hated the idea initially untill I actually played the game and found it was better this way

I'm glad I have the option to browse servers, but I like to know every game I play will have consistent rules decided by the dev, not some squeaky voiced elitist admin who bans claymores cause they are 'teh n00bz'...

I just wanna turn on the game and jump straight into a match - I may be a minority in this opinion but at least it's my own opinion

You're asking for objectivity from The Escapist. Think about that for a moment.

O.T. I hate the series anyway, but wouldn't it make more sense to fix the leveling system so they can't cheat with it much at all? To be honest, though, dedicated servers tossing out the whole retarded leveling-up business sounds like the best announcement regarding this game I've seen so far.

TitsMcGee1804:

Logan Westbrook:

When I played Black Ops on the PC, almost every server I went to had some stupid arbitrary rule that didnt allow one thing or another. There was one where you could only use sniperrifles and nothing else, and another where you had to crouch... I got kicked from that server because I used the PSG-1, so im guessing sniper rifles were not allowed (even though it said fucking nowhere about that.

Honestly, I think if I was going to buy MW3 on PC, I would prefer the uniformity of IWnet.

What I gather from the information is that the unranked servers, that is the Dedicated will have the option of unlocking everything from the start without any level grinding.

So, should I be mad that the grindoption is only in matchmaking? Yes, but I don't want to spend another 24-48 h hours of grinding just to get leet gear. Unranked means instant action where I can get my damn Dragunov/m1911 combo right out of the gate. I don't see any problem with that.

This is.. ok but it still won't fix the work around hacks that were discovered in MW2 where you could have custom rules on a ranked server as easy as pie and no one would punish you for it. People think i hate call of duty on priciple, this is not true, the game is just baseline broken online and media outlets have to reveiw it under such strict conditions on one seems to notice. They suffer from issues that would have got older games ripped apart in reveiws, the ease of constant glitching and hacking, damage sponging, massive baalce issues and worst of all REFUSAL TO PATCH.

Why? Why the blue fuck won't you patch your broken games Activsion?! Everyone else does it and it makes things better. CoD has big issues online, patches would improve them. Every other compnay provides patches for their falgship games. Yet you ADVERTISE that things you broke in the last version are now fixed in the £55 update. How can people tolerate them being to greedy to invest the resources to have even the slightest sherd of aftermarket support outside £15 3 map packs?

Good thing I'm an X-box man I guess.

Chrono212:
Halp?

Instead of leveling-up and unlocking weapons and perks, the server admins get to hand those out themselves.

TitsMcGee1804:

Logan Westbrook:

You're not actually talking about servers, dedicated or otherwise; what you're talking about is matchmaking systems, which is a completely different thing. From a mechanical standpoint, dedicated servers have so many advantages over players hosting games that to argue it's anything other than a superior experience is just silly. If you want to argue that some server admins are assholes who abuse their power, then that's fine and I'm right there with you, but that, again, is a different discussion.

Doom972:

Ah...hehe...yeah...our TF2 match was hacked to shreds the other night, snipers running around meleeing everyone with super speed and all-crits.

I don't really understand how this prevents cheating or hacking. If anything, there is little or no anti-cheat on P2P connection. But then again, I'm no expert on security. I only know that hacking on a dedicated server becomes hard as they update things like punkbuster to compensate for new hacking techniques. Well, not that I thought it wouldn't be, but having a system that is a shit idea for a game that will most likely be the same as the last seems like a poor idea.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
I guess im kinda ok with it?

Although Black Ops did get by without any form of matchmaking. The PC version was shit, and the game was shit, but the dedicated servers worked alright.

This. The only good thing was the dedicated servers and they're screwing that up too now.GeeGee

Of course, this doesn't surprise me. Oh well, I'm not gonna buy it anyway. Interesting to know that Activition and infinity ward are still being dicks when it comes to PC releases.

Why can't they do what Valve does with TF2?

If servers want to be "ranked" and show up in matchmaking, have them register the servers with IW. That way when you search for games in "matchmaking" or whatever, people have a chance to drop in and rank up on your server. And those servers will be under greater scrutiny by IW.

And for those who don't want to have quickmatch, just let them pick and choose like normal.

If MW2 was any indication, Infinity Ward's matchmaking system is filled with cheaters, connection issues, and just general crap that shouldn't even be happening in the first place.

Chrono212:
Halp?

it means..

Lets say you are a regular for TexasMercenaries Servers, and they happen to get a MW3 server running for the game.

Well, you cant get xp or unlock weapons by yourself in that server, you have to play on the matchmaking service to rank up.

however, the dedicated servers that you can choose allow the admin's of said servers to unlock perks and weapons automatically, so there could be no need for you to level up, which in my opinion ruins the entire point of COD multiplayer.

Of course, that is theoretical, in reality you will find server admins getting killed by a certain weapon, then banning said weapon because they got killed by it, thus weapon is OP and should be nerfed.

I don't mind it much at all. I only mind if they do things like pull people from the ladder to invite-only tournaments or give out prizes to top ladder people, in which case it's extraordinarily annoying to not be able to play on dedicated servers because your rank goes down whenever you're playing for fun.

I see this as obvious, I don't see how anyone could be very upset with this news. They're not trying to prevent hacking or anything like that, I don't think they're stupid enough to think they can, they just don't want you to power-level in fixed matches.
I like that the admin can choose weapons and stuff though, so it's all good.

Ed130:

Doom972:

Aren't they using Steamworks already? or is it just for installation?

As for the PC version of the game itself, who would get it? PC gaming has been getting the short end of the stick for years from this genre. (admittedly they are not missing out on much)

Steamworks doesn't mean the game uses VAC since VAC can only be used with source engine games. That doesn't mean Infinity Ward and Activision can't develop something similar.

DaHero:

Doom972:

Ah...hehe...yeah...our TF2 match was hacked to shreds the other night, snipers running around meleeing everyone with super speed and all-crits.

I play mostly on Israeli and sometimes German servers and I rarely encounter cheaters (maybe once every 2 months, so I don't consider it a problem). Since cheating can easily mean getting your account banned (which means not being able to play on VAC enabled servers for any game) it's really not worth it unless you just play F2P and don't have other VAC-enabled games.

This seems like the most logical choice. They still want the leveling system to actually mean something but even if they had a way to totally prevent illegitimate means of level hacking you still could have people running dedicated servers with legit mods or gametypes that completely uneven the leveling field whether purposefully or on accident.

Console players don't get to level up in their own private matches so this is the same thing.

This requires an image.

This is a step forward... they aren't there yet by a long shot... but... a step forward none the less....

Still a stupid move to pull anyways, especially when Activision so proudly announced a dedicated anti cheat team to combat cheating, now they show no faith in that team with this move.

I am willing to bet there will still be a plethora of cheats and hacks available for the ranked games, so all this does is cause more annoyance with no real gains.

... and here I thought Activision was changing its tune regarding PC gaming, guess I must be tone deaf 'coz I dont hear nuthin' now.

After EA and Activision decided to go to war with each other with these war games (ok, EA decided to go to war, Activision was just being, well, Activision) you would think that they would try and not do anything to piss their players off.

With EA making Battlefield 3 require Origin and this news of MW3 changing the dedicated server system that had utilized in the beginning, it shows once again that they are showing system favoritism.

As you may have guessed, I am a PC user, so this issue is not new to me, it just continues to surprise me when it keeps happening. Ubisoft keeps delaying the pc version of their games, I dont know why making a good port is such a hard thing to fit into a schedule. The pc doesnt get as much support, such as denying DLC and not making patches across developers and publishers.

In closing, I have to say I am disappointed at this news, and am glad that I decided to give Battlefield 3 my time instead of CoD again. Tomorrow will be fun, and I'll look at CoD again next year when another one comes out...

So let's see who wins the "nominations", one for most sold FPS this year, the other for the most douchery, and there can only be one winner for these awards...

As much money that Activision makes off of this franchise... you would think it's a no-brainer to have dedicated servers. But no. A few billion is not nearly enough.

They are just cheap, and they are charging you more for MW3 than any other Game in history. Gone are the days that games are $60 +$40 in DLC, now it's gonna be $60 upfront, Plus a monthy subscription of $15, for non dedicated servers, and the same game engine as the last game, just different skins, weapons, and maps per month. It's Bullshit, and they are shitting on the poor gamers of the recession, just like the banks are doing!

Before you know it your $500 500GB HDD for your console will be filled from them being to cheap to make discs anymore...good luck with the greedy controlled by Wallstreet console Game Industry Then!

Evil Top Hat:
I'd like to know what idiot at infinity ward looked at all those people boycotting MW2 for it's lack of dedicated servers and said "You know what? Those guys that like dedicated servers? let's shit on them again!"

Seriously, what is it with game developers and restricting the player's freedom. It's been happening more and more recently.

Well part of the problem is the majority of "boycotters" were caught playing MW2 on launch day, completely taking any sort of legitamacy they had and crapping all over it.

I'm sure that the folks at IW who made these decisions know that something like this will have no bearing on who buys their product, even if the consumer swears vehemently he's not going to because of it.

Jim did a show on the Jimquistion on why "boycott" needs to stop being used by gamers; They don't have the backbone to stick by their convictions.

I see this as a good thing. It removes most of what i hate about cod multiplayer. No bullshit level grinding, no advantages to the better players, just for the hell of it. Now all i gotta do is find one of these servers with no kill streaks aloud and i'm goooood.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here