A Weakened Silicon Knights Refocuses On "One Of Its Most Requested Titles"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

A Weakened Silicon Knights Refocuses On "One Of Its Most Requested Titles"

The bad news: Silicon Knights has had to cut nearly half its staff. The good news: The Company is still alive, is "returning to its roots" and is "working on one of its most requested titles."

The Canadian developer has laid off a grand total of 43 employees, slightly less than the figure reported earlier this week, after negotiations with the publisher backing the team's current project fell through.

"Last week Silicon Knights experienced layoffs due to extended contract negotiations falling through with a potential partner," the developer told Kotaku. "We are currently in discussions with other potential partners. The recent Ontario government funding is tied to future performance targets, spread out over the next 5 years, which we will meet."

Since 2008 Silicon Knights has received around $8 million in funding from the Canadian government, with the proviso that the company use some of the money to hire additional staff. At its peak, the developer employed nearly a hundred workers.

It's unfortunate that Silicon Knights is now known more for its few, admittedly huge, failures, than its successes. The long awaited Too Human ran massively over budget, took nearly a decade to complete, received a less-than-enthusiastic reception when it was finally hit shelves and then went on to spark a legal dispute between the developer and Epic Games over its use of the Unreal Engine. Their latest game, X-Men: Destiny met with poor sales and abysmal reviews, our own Susan Arendt described it as "ugly, stupid, and boring."

Perhaps in response to its poor performance in the last decade, the developer is "currently refocusing and returning to its roots, working on one of its most requested titles for the next generation."

Hands up if you read that last sentence as: "We're making Eternal Darkness 2" and promptly performed an embarrassing little dance.

Source: Kotaku

While I'm sad people got laid off, I'm also feeling guilty that I am still dancing. I missed the first one and have never been able to track down a copy. The news of a possible sequel pleases me.

If true, then it took them long enough.

If false, and also is not them announcing another Blood Omen, then this will be Silicon Knights' death knell.

Honestly...? I read that last sentence and the only thing that popped into my head is "They are working on a Too Human game aren't they...?"

Cause at this point, I'd rather have them avoid any of their old games, so they don't more than likely screw those up as well.

Grey Carter:

Hands up if you read that last sentence as: "We're making Eternal Darkness 2" and promptly performed an embarrassing little dance.

*raises hand*

I loved that game, and when the title screen for Eternal Darkness 2 popped up during sanity loss...I was like. :D

Then later I found out it was just a joke with the sanity, made me go all sad. :<

Played through that game so many times, I still take it out and play through it now and then. Doesn't get boring.

Mantorok rune was OP though...just saying.

Well it's less than the rumored 75%,
AND we're finally getting the Too Human sequel! Horay!

I'm actually currently working through Eternal darkness for the first time so this all seems like strange timeing to me :P.

Sweeet ED2 WiiU exclusive thanks to Ninty owning the IP........ At least that's what i'm hoping but in reality it'll be something like Too Human 2

ABOUT FUCKING TIME sorry quite excited

Eternal Darkness Sanitys Requruim is by far one of the most intrsiting games I ever played

A remake of Blood Omen?

Plllllleeeease?

You know, I LIKE to see this, but I really hope they've learned something from their experiences and don't drop their next game (guessing eternal darkness) into the bin by making such poor design choices as they did in their other games.

sad that they had to cut half the staff before they pulled their heads out ...

Because nothing makes a quality product like a desperate studio cranking out a sequel to a successful product. Wake me when there's something more than vapor and press releases to be scrutinized.

Too Human 2?

Just kidding. But Eternal Darkness 2 will be awesome!

I'm really surprised they managed to stay above water with the games they made.

I thought they meant a new Legacy of Kain...

Its gonna be really funny if they say we're going to make Too Human 2.

But yeah... lets hope its eternal darkness. for the company's sake.

I will laugh my ass off if it's Too Human 2 they're talking about being "Most requested".

Pointless.

Eternal Darkness was a fluke - the right people, at the right time, with the right hardware and the right vision.

If they make this sequel they'll destroy the tiny shred of reputation remaining. Horror is dead - the intelligence to make a psychological frightener as opposed to a jump scarer is no longer present in the industry.

Note that I stated 'industry'. Indie developers still have the ability.

I personally hope it is Too Human 2, I enjoyed the first for what it was and can the potential the game has. We can get stuck into a black circle when attempting to create something and I believe that's what happened with this.

A new game, a new start - hopefully they can build on the beginning of a good foundation.

The question remains. Will they manage to finish it before they're bought, pillaged, or otherwise have to put a 'out of business' sign on their front door?

EverythingIncredible:

This person has provided the true answer to their money woes.

I'm pretty sure they are talking about a sequel to Eternal Darkness but I really hope they are going to return to the Legacy of Kain series.
An Eternal Darkness remake will also be nice for those of us who never owned a Gamecube.

So wait...

Too Human = Shit
XMen Destiny = Shit
Axe Staff
OH SHIT LETS MAKE ETERNAL DARKNESS II

For Fucks Sake...I hope those people they released go onto better things...

Query: Why don't these organic meatbags re-release their old yet highly regarded games in order to improve their financial circumstances?

EverythingIncredible:

ace_of_something:
The question remains. Will they manage to finish it before they're bought, pillaged, or otherwise have to put a 'out of business' sign on their front door?

EverythingIncredible:

This person has provided the true answer to their money woes.

Doom972:
I'm pretty sure they are talking about a sequel to Eternal Darkness but I really hope they are going to return to the Legacy of Kain series.
An Eternal Darkness remake will also be nice for those of us who never owned a Gamecube.

Correction: Silicon Knights do not own the Legacy of Kain franchise. Crystal Dynamics owns the rights to Legacy of Kain and have so since 1997. Silicon Knights only developed the first game in the series; no other contribution was made by these meatbags.

Though I hate to agree with you meatbags, Legacy of Kain is worthy of a sequel.

I'm pretty sure the rights to LoK belong to Square-Enix now.
The first game was the best in my opinion and I'd really like to see what SK can do to bring back that franchise.

I bet you fucking anything its a Gex sequel. Because Silicon Knights are big enough dickheads to actually think that would be a good idea.

It really only makes sense that they're gonna make eternal darkness 2. it really seems like the only way they'll stay afloat. huzza for competent business decisions (though it's a shame it's too late for most of the company)

karloss01:

Query: Why don't these organic meatbags re-release their old yet highly regarded games in order to improve their financial circumstances?

Because Nintendo still own the rights to Eternal Darkness, and they clearly know that hardcore gamers don't play the Wii (see Rainfall) so they have no reason to rerelease that game. As for the others, Gex and LOk already have been rereleased on PsN, and no-one ants to touch Twin Snakes.

darthotaku:
It really only makes sense that they're gonna make eternal darkness 2. it really seems like the only way they'll stay afloat. huzza for competent business decisions (though it's a shame it's too late for most of the company)

If Silicon Knights are competent and could do things that make sense, explain Too Human and X-Men Destiny

I was considering applying for a job there... ah what five months can do.

C'mon Legacy of Kain, you can't leave me on the cliffhanger forever!

The Good LoK titles had nothing to do with them...they made the first, slightly okay-ish one. The others were all by crystal dynamics

If this is not eternal darkness and by some twisted logic more too human there will be so much rage!

But honestly I don't know who would request more too human...

Doom972:
I'm pretty sure the rights to LoK belong to Square-Enix now.
The first game was the best in my opinion and I'd really like to see what SK can do to bring back that franchise.

Acknowledgement: technically yes, Crystal Dynamics won rights to the franchise who were then added to Eidos' list of developers who is now a subsidiary of Square Enix.

OutrageousEmu:

Because Nintendo still own the rights to Eternal Darkness, and they clearly know that hardcore gamers don't play the Wii (see Rainfall) so they have no reason to rerelease that game. As for the others, Gex and LOk already have been rereleased on PsN, and no-one ants to touch Twin Snakes.

Acknowledgement: very well, you have informed this droid well meatbag. you may be the last one i kill today, should we meet in person of course.

It seems like you finally learned now get back to working on legacy of kain and eternal darkness.

So they are either making another Legacy of Kain game (what instantly popped into my mind when they said "going back to their roots") or a sequel to Eternal Darkness (what popped into my mind when they said "one of their most requested titles"). We will see which it is (hopefully it won't be Too Human 2), but if it is one of those two, it is bound to be interesting at least. Here's hoping. *crosses fingers*

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here